Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
miriyan
Starter Motor

Question "Drag" on Focus when gaining speed.

Hi! I am hoping that a reader might know what causes this?

We own a 2002 model Ford focus. For months I have noticed that often when taking off from stationary positiin or when trying to accellerate uphill get an inexplicable "drag" on the engine; as though not enough fuel is getting through to the motor. As soon as it build's up speed this disappears; and I never have this trouble when driving at a steady speed (or slowing down). I recently added an fuel additive tp the petrol in case the fuel injectors and cylinders need cleaning; it does not seem to have cured the problem.

I would appreciate it if readers, especially if they are Focus owners (or mechanics) themselves could offer me suggestions as to what the cause might be.

miriyan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #2
smee323
Yes it is mine...

What fuel are you running, has it just started to happen, or did it do it from new.

If you are in eastern states, remember that most regular unleaded now contains at least 10% ethanol. It sounds by putting in the additive, that it liked the upped ron increase in the fuel.

Try it with a tank of 95, or 98 and see what happens.

2010 LV Focus XR5
BG Mazda Familia Rally Car (KH Tx3 in disguise)
BF Series II V8 Ute
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
miriyan
Starter Motor

Default "Drag" on Focus when gaining speed.

Thanks smee. This problem has been going on for some time now. While I have noticed that premium (high octane) fuel relieves the problem somewhat, it does not eliminate it entirely.

(off topic) I notice you are from Adelaide. Don't you have ethanol/unleaded mix over there?
Old 21-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are having trouble accelerating few things to check

1) air filter is clean and piping to the throttle body is clean

2) injectors are clean. You can get them taken out and cleaned for reasonably cheap, helps with fuel economy slightly as well

3) Fuel pump is in fine working order, if not, it may be phsycially unable to send the fuel to the engine

4) Cat converter hasn't collapsed. Knock on it lightly with a hammer (when cold) if you hear rattling it's collapsed, this will severly hamper the engine from producing power which is what you need when accelerating.

Few things to check.
Old 21-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
miriyan
Starter Motor

Thanks Sgt Bourne. Will check out your suggestions.
Old 21-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

glance in the rearview mirror to see if the car is not being over fuelled..
this allso gives the same impression as under fuelled, not quete flooding but close.
if you know what i mean...
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post