Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Default '06 duratec 2.0 - dealer ecu upgrade ruins idle?

Hey

I've just got my '06 focus back from the dealership yesterday where it was having its 75,000km service. The blokes there did an ecu reflash to upgrade its software, and now it has a particularly bad idle.

The car always used to run extremely smooth, and now whenever I pull up to the lights and put the clutch in, the revs drop and bounce between 1000rpm and 600rpm, and there has been a couple of times where its dropped to nearly 200rpm and shown the battery light, nearly stalling.

Has anyone else recently had this ecu upgrade and had similar issues? I've noticed that its slowly getting better as I drive it more, is the duratec ecu a 'learning' system and simply has to re-learn the way I drive? It is going back to the dealer Monday, however I would like to avoid the hassle if its a common thing.

Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Brotherontherun
Starter Motor

Has your fuel consumption jumped up and there is a slight hesitation when you put your foot down? If so, sounds like they have dropped your air flow meter....

Happened to my last car, unfortunately, I was the one who did it....

Cheers
Brotherontherun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Conquest_Tsi

what do u mean dropped? as in physically dropped/damaged it?
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No airflow meter in these things kiddies.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
fordmondeoman

id would say the ecu has to re-learn its adaptions or has learnt poor adaptions. get them to reset the adaptions, some cars require a special drive profile after adaptions are reset which ford would know about if they do.
If its not that then i would say the engine has a air leak into the intake and because the ecu was flashed most likely the adaptions were reset and now the engine has to relearn the extra air going into the engine and adapt to it. (casuing the poor idle)
Thats my guess
Old 25-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Thanks guys... After topping it up with a fresh tank of 95 and taking it for a run down south, it seems to have re-learned its maps. Drives better now, although it now has better economy on the long 110kph runs, but slightly worse on a city cycle (I know the dash computer isn't the most accurate thing in the world!). Idles fine now (although maybe slightly too high).

But cheers for the replies guys!
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post