Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Kyle5351
Starter Motor

Default '03 Focus Problem

Hey guys,

I have always read these forums, but never actually posted before, mainly as my Focus is generally a little tank and I haven't needed help :P But basically I am having trouble with what I am assuming is the electrics.

I have never had a problem previously, but this morning I jumped in the car as usual, turned the key, lights came on, went to turn to start and all of a sudden their was nothing.

No lights, no dash indicators, no nothing. Anyway, I assumed this was a fuse or something that had blown (even though it seemed weird, everything stopped working). I went out in my other car and came back an hour later. The lights were on.

I thought it was all sweet, so I went to start her up and all of the dash warning lights, central locking, clock, interior lights, you name it started flickering and well spazzing out. Also the speedo needles were jumping up and down like crazy.

Confused as hell, I assumed it was something to do with the source of the power, so I checked the basics like the battery terminals etc.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Haven't had a problem in the 2 years having it and now 2 things in the past 2 weeks =[

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kyle5351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
ptwhite2003

I can't help you but wanted to say that I haven't heard the term "spazzing out" for years. I think I'll start using it again.
ptwhite2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Talldude

My dash lights went very dim once and even stopped working, fault was a dying battery due to the alternator failing.

It seemed strange to me because it was starting up but the dash was going out.

Have you checked your battery?

If the battery is fine could be your alternator.
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Kyle5351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldude
My dash lights went very dim once and even stopped working, fault was a dying battery due to the alternator failing.

It seemed strange to me because it was starting up but the dash was going out.

Have you checked your battery?

If the battery is fine could be your alternator.

The battery was load tested only a matter of 6 weeks ago and everything seemed alright. I guess it would be a case of testing it again and seeing where to go from there.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Two things.

1.Have you had any experience of the dash just "dying" whilst driving, only to have the needles all jump back to life a few seconds later? Some 03 Focus' have a problem in the speedo dash itself with "dendrite" growth which causes the dash to "short". However for the whole car to not start is severe.

2. have to hit any big bumps or similar? In the drivers footwell lowdown to the right, you'll see a small hole, with a button inside. This is a fuel cutoff switch to prevent problems in a major accident. Check the procedure in the owners manual, as from memory it is only a matter of pushing this button to bring the fuel back online. Again however, not sure this would cause dash not to activate.

But it is more likely to be battery or alternator. Interesting that it was tested under load 6 weeks ago. Why? Obviously some sort of issue you wanted checking.

Plus there is always a potential problem when someone has had their grubby hands under the bonnet. Has a lead come loose?

Not sure if any of that helps, but maybe a couple of directions to look.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Kyle5351
Starter Motor

I haven't had any problems with the dash previously. Not even any lights or the needles jumping.

The battery was load tested as part of the service, there was no underlying issue.

Just had a look at the fuel line cut off, it seems to be pushed in as normal. I have noticed that all my auxillary lights/dash clock etc are all working, but when I actually go to start up is when everything starts to malfunction.

I will check all the leads again and see what I can find. If that doesn't help, I will replace the battery and see what happens.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
MapMan
Starter Motor

Smile

Hi Kyle,

You might want to take a look at my recent posting 'Warning lights and flat battery? FOCUS'

If you disgregard (maybe) my talk about the glove box bulb discharging the battery then I think we had similar problems - all due to an almost discharged battery - I finallly had RAC install a new battery on Monday and guess what .. all my very scary warning messages/flashing lights have gone away and all is now good. - so in my case problem solved by a new battery (the old one would simply not hold a charge for more than an hour or so)
MapMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Kyle5351
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapMan
Hi Kyle,

You might want to take a look at my recent posting 'Warning lights and flat battery? FOCUS'

If you disgregard (maybe) my talk about the glove box bulb discharging the battery then I think we had similar problems - all due to an almost discharged battery - I finallly had RAC install a new battery on Monday and guess what .. all my very scary warning messages/flashing lights have gone away and all is now good. - so in my case problem solved by a new battery (the old one would simply not hold a charge for more than an hour or so)
I hadn't actually come across your post previously, even though I used the search function =[

Unfortunately I am away from home for the next couple of days, so I can't nip down and grab one, but I pulled out my log books etc and the battery was replaced about 3 years ago. It wasn't the greatest of battery when it came to standards, so I would say that is my problems.

Thanks everyone for your help and I will let you know how it goes.