Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
jimmy_t
Starter Motor

Default '06 LS Didn't start this morning

Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows what's up. Went to start the Focus (on level ground) this morning, you hear the fuel pump crank up but it didn't start.

Tried it several times and apart from a tiny splutter she just sat there turning over. And yes it has got fuel.

It's still under warrenty so i'll get it to Ford and ask a few questions.

Cheers.

jimmy_t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sometimes they like the throttle cracked open before you crank it. I think it's a TPS issue, nothing serious. If you mention it when it's next in for service they will record you concern.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Dustproof

Default Starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_t
Hey Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows what's up. Went to start the Focus (on level ground) this morning, you hear the fuel pump crank up but it didn't start.

Tried it several times and apart from a tiny splutter she just sat there turning over. And yes it has got fuel.

It's still under warrenty so i'll get it to Ford and ask a few questions.

Cheers.
As previously mentioned crack the throttle open before turning the key to the start position, let the peddle return to idle and try start it. If it runs OK it could be a TPS issue, another thing is when was the last time you got fuel before this happened. I have found fuel quality varies day to day from different companies, it could be just crap fuel or possibly water contamination. If you suspect water, next fill get E10. The Ethanol will soak up any water in the tanks and it will get burned off.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
mohit

Wonder if the fuel pump reset switch has anything to do with this
You'll find it in the driver's side kick panel
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I have had similar issues starting the car on a slop. Sometimes it does start but very rough whilst the dash is lit up like a christmas tree, then it stalls very soon after. I've found rolling the car down the hill to flat ground and then starting it works everytime. However you say you're already on flat ground.

Another time I also was on flat ground and couldn't start the car. trip computer said i had 60km of fuel left however after empting a gerry can of petrol into the tank, (more went on me that actually went into the car lol) It started ok. In which case for what ever reason it appears the fuel pump couldn't pick up the petrol. I have ran the car to less than 40kms to go before, so i don't really know what happened.

You said you've got fuel in it, how much? could it be a similar issue and are you able to start it on a different day?
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
jimmy_t
Starter Motor

Cheers for the info guys.

'Cracked' the throttle seemed to have worked. Although it coughed and spluttered a lot with blue smoke coming out the back which cleared after a few stabs of the accelerator (excess fuel?? Oil build up??).

Half a tank of fuel - so I wouldn't say it was struggling to draw the fuel.

Has started first time every time since. With no smoke or anything. Will mention it next service.
jimmy_t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post