Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Default $470 for 30,000km service?

Hey all,

I just got my 30,000km service done. It involved
- changing oil and filter,
- flushing radiator and refill
- flushing brake fluid, refill and bleed.
- standard tire check, brake check etc.

Does this seem alittle expensive to anyone or is it just me?

Victor.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Mine was $461 last year. I thought it was expensive too...then I looked at it and realised I'd been ripped off.

The standard service is $155. Then, add on: Power streeting flush, brake fluid flush, injector service, pollen filter(!!) + parts etc, and next thing you know you're paying an arm and a leg.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
819_FLY

I wouldn't pay any more than 300 for that type of service, even then I'd expect an air freshener hanging over my rear view mirror.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's ridiculous. They've done a whole lot of work that's not in the service schedule - go and ask for your money back for this work. And if they won't play ball, complain to whoever it is that you complain to if you get ripped off in Aussie. And Ford Australia.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Mullett
Badly Focused

That is an absolute rip off, and a prime example of why you have to get written quotes before any work is done on your car. Also, make sure they stamped the log book...

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
smally289
growing up is optional

Have you got an itemised account you can put up for us to look at?
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
BrisVegas
Noobie

2 words..... Ultra Tune.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I haven't had time to check over the car just yet but I won't be going back. I went to them because the car is on a lease and it's still under warranty.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 05-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Also, the service guys are telling me that the green coolant has to be replaced every 2 years. I reckon this is bollocks and I have red coolant anyway. How often do brakes need to be flushed and bled? They seem to think every 2 years as well which to me seems to be a VERY short time.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Have you got an itemised account you can put up for us to look at?
Yup..

Item 1
Drain plug gasket, oil filter, washer solution, Engine Oil XT10W30, labour $246.45

Item 2
Recall PO705 - Apparently they had to cut away some trim under the car so it doesn't rub against the brake lines?

Item 3
Battery Test

Item 4
Additives - Fuel/Engine Treatment $28.85 I didn't even know they were going to add this stuff but meh.

Item 5
Flushed and Replaced Coolant
Labour $50
Coolant $47.25

Item 6
Check tailgate I had to slam it hard to get it to shut so I wanted them to look at it and adjust

Item 7
Flush and Bleed Brake fluid
Labour $50
Brake Fluid $6.60

Total for the invoice
$472.07 (inc. GST)

Old 05-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
_CRUZ_
Ford Owner

yeah rippers mine costs $100
_CRUZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

'Item 1' is a joke.

That is merely a grease and oil change. I understand that it is a dealer etc, but almost $250???

The addititives is another common ploy. New cars that are correctly serviced with good quality oils NEVER need that sort of thing.

The rest of the prices seem pretty reasonable, but were they actually needed is the question? If your car is an 06 and it was the first time those fluids were changed than they probably were needed.

I don't bother looking at my book any more, as my own car is a few weeks shy of 200,000km, however I do brake fluid and coolant every 40,000km or 2 years, whatever comes first.

I would use another mechanic that does the correct logbook services at a lower price.

Remeber.. get the quote for anything beforehand.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Item 1
Drain plug gasket, oil filter, washer solution, Engine Oil XT10W30, labour $246.45
MOST EXPENSIVE OIL CHANGE EVAR.
$1, $12, $15, $35, .5hr @ $88/hr = I can't find the other $140
Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Yeah, I agree that Item 1 is a joke but it's one of those things. I am disputing Items 5 and 7 though. The way they explained it to me was that it was part of the 30,000k service which it wasn't.

I'm seeking to have the fluids at cost price and not pay the labour. Yes, I know they did the work and they deserve to be paid and I'm more than happy to pay if I asked for it to be done. I didn't and they made it out to be standard 30k service, which it wasn't so I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Service fee looks high but coolant and brake work is comparable and is advised to have done at said intervals.

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Mick K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Yeah, I agree that Item 1 is a joke but it's one of those things. I am disputing Items 5 and 7 though. The way they explained it to me was that it was part of the 30,000k service which it wasn't.

I'm seeking to have the fluids at cost price and not pay the labour. Yes, I know they did the work and they deserve to be paid and I'm more than happy to pay if I asked for it to be done. I didn't and they made it out to be standard 30k service, which it wasn't so I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
Could be in the "additional items every three years" fine print or something?

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick K.
Could be in the "additional items every three years" fine print or something?

MK
Nope. This is from the manual

For coolant it says:
"Check and clean pressure cap, replace if there is any seal deterioration" - 4 years
"Drain, flush and refill with coolant" - 10 years

Later on in the book, it says the cooling system should be drained, flushed, renewed every 4 years.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Nope. This is from the manual

For coolant it says:
"Check and clean pressure cap, replace if there is any seal deterioration" - 4 years
"Drain, flush and refill with coolant" - 10 years

Later on in the book, it says the cooling system should be drained, flushed, renewed every 4 years.
That doesn't sound right to be honest. Can you scan that page?

10 years with the same coolant is asking for trouble. Hang on, I'm now more confused. What is it, 10 years or 4 years for a change?? and after how many km should you do a lot of driving??

And 4 years for coolant is probably stretching the limit as well.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 AM   #19
Mullett
Badly Focused

Personally i do brake fluid every 12 months, but this is only important if you get your brakes HOT. After 6 months brake fluid can absorb enough moisture to reduce its boiling point by 80deg/c, which can also lead to other problems. For coolant 4 years is fine for a good quality coolant, especially in a new car with a clean system.

Has anyone else noticed the service interval for the timing belt? 240,000km!

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
819_FLY

Up here in the tropics 6 months is the usual for brake fluid as it is Hygroscopic which means it absorbs moisture, due to the air being more humid up here with higher moisture levels the brake fluid deteriorates. Down south I would say 12 months is a nice routine to change brake fluid, as you don't wanna neglect on keeping your brake system up to speed, because it is a pertinant part of your car and is the only thing that will stop you from hitting something.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #21
stera

I feel your pain my friend!

When I was looking to purchase a set of rims a certain Adelaide Ford dealer bent over BACKWARDS to help me out and I thought WOW... I guess good customer service is still alive!!!

I repaid this by taking my AUIII Futura in for a 60,000kms service (from memory)... On my return to a near $600 service fee!!!

Needless to say I sat down with the manager and questioned the $250 oil change and the $22 rear globe charges to name a few. I was told in so many words that the work had been done and that I was required to pay. I advised I was displeased and why I had returned and this apparently meant nothing...

I paid, remaining calm the whole time and advised that I would not be returning at any stage and would be telling a number of family and friends ( and FF members)!!

To my surprise I was lucky enough to be selected to give feedback on my satisfaction of the service!!!! Once again - Voiced my concern... Had the Manager call and offer me a... wait for it... $30 reduction in my next service!!!

Ahh, common sense just isnt that common!!

There was also a cracking incident with an old Italian bloke at the same time... Thats another story!!!
stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #22
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Item 4. WTF? Could have saved that for 2 decent bottles of wine (if you're a drinker, of course).

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #23
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera
I feel your pain my friend!

When I was looking to purchase a set of rims a certain Adelaide Ford dealer bent over BACKWARDS to help me out and I thought WOW... I guess good customer service is still alive!!!

I repaid this by taking my AUIII Futura in for a 60,000kms service (from memory)... On my return to a near $600 service fee!!!

Needless to say I sat down with the manager and questioned the $250 oil change and the $22 rear globe charges to name a few. I was told in so many words that the work had been done and that I was required to pay. I advised I was displeased and why I had returned and this apparently meant nothing...

I paid, remaining calm the whole time and advised that I would not be returning at any stage and would be telling a number of family and friends ( and FF members)!!

To my surprise I was lucky enough to be selected to give feedback on my satisfaction of the service!!!! Once again - Voiced my concern... Had the Manager call and offer me a... wait for it... $30 reduction in my next service!!!

Ahh, common sense just isnt that common!!

There was also a cracking incident with an old Italian bloke at the same time... Thats another story!!!
That's harsh! I guess they have nothing to lose by giving you a $30 reduction. I've been offered a refund on the offending service item. Should be picking up the cheque tomorrow.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #24
DragonMesh

old topic i know but i just paid $345 for my 30,000km service
bit cheeky tho i got new rims and tyres a couple of months ago yet they rotated and balanced them... only cost $21.36 but still.. they were already perfect! they also told me i need a fuel system service
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post