Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Do you like the look of the AU (std) headlights?
Not fussed really. 43 23.76%
Yes, love them. 48 26.52%
Would change them if I could afford to. 50 27.62%
Worst part of the car. 40 22.10%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Modified AU Headlight.

Well after months of consideration & having been pressured into doing something to improve the look of the std AU1-2-3 headlight, this is what I've come up with. This is strictly a "prototype" to obtain feedback.
What may not be so obvious at first, is the "squared off" (black) bezel which gives it an "eyelid" appearance & should sit level with the grill. The "parabola" was installed at a customers request, but I actually liked the look of it after the job was done so may consider it as an option (yes it's functional & roadworthy). There are still some minor issues to be addressed (parklight & wiring to parabola) but they're easily solved, all mods were done using genuine Ford parts too so the whole assembly is "Genuine original equiptment". Apologies for the picture quality, new images coming soon. Anyway enjoy.
:lookedat:
Old 16-02-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Modified AU Headlight.

Last edited by Casper; 18-02-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 16-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Hey thats a big improvement ! well done , very nice ! , put it on ya car to show us what it looks like with the rest of the body .
Old 16-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Hey thats a big improvement ! well done , very nice ! , put it on ya car to show us what it looks like with the rest of the body .
Funny you mention that, this is the first & only time I regret putting the BA front on, so I don't have a test car unfortunately. :
Old 16-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
Funny you mention that, this is the first & only time I regret putting the BA front on, so I don't have a test car unfortunately. :
Put them on my car .... hang on, dont bother.. I got real glass ones anyhow :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Nice

You can put them on my car! That would look great!

Cheers
Old 16-02-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

they look great dok.... well done.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
CongoAU2
AYE YOU

They look heaps good Dok. I'd definately be up for a set if you start selling em. Great work :voldar02:

:monkes:
Old 16-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #9
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongoAU2
They look heaps good Dok. I'd definately be up for a set if you start selling em. Great work :voldar02:
Will definately begin selling them to order provided enough interest is generated, looks positive so far.
Anyone who wants to have a go at photochopping the image into an AU, feel free to do so but try to leave the LH as is so as to make a direct comparison.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You mean projector????
hmmmm ... I was wondering how hard it is gonig to be putting a projector into the standard headlight (as I am looking at this soon ... because the H4 HID conversion globe is burning a hole in my current reflector ... YAY)

I was looking at getting a black bezel light as well and having a HID projector mounted in it.

I am very interested in this "The Dok" ... I just need to get the proper HID Projector kit in from the US ... when the cash flow is a bit better.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

i think that cheesy silver sharktooth grill they gave it made the lights look worse than they actually were , i still dont like the std lights - i hate the grill even more ...lol
Old 16-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Thanks for taking up the intiative Dok ... nice work ... looks factory as well.
Would be interested in seeing the beam pattern as well.
If you want a test mule I can drive anywhere ... LOL ... within reason.

The projector lense will give better coverage within the beam on the road and therefore a clearer view of the road at night without stray lighting for oncoming traffic.

I was looking at using a BMW projector with the high/low beam shield in it when looking at modifying a set later down the track.

What globe type is used behind the projector???

Just wondering.

BTW I am very interested in your modified headlight.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
You mean projector????
hehe i was going to correct him on that too:P

i love doing cusom light stuff.

latest for me is the HID install in my custom BMW / Fairlane hibrid lights (just an aftermarket kit......)
the projectors have a tin reflector area so no worry about melting....... thoguh i will keep an eye on them to see if it tarnishes the chrome
Old 16-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I wasn't meaning to be a smartarse though ... just wanted to make sure ... but buy the looks of the pics and the work done .... he knows exactly what he's doing ... so I have confidence in his work
Old 16-02-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
I wasn't meaning to be a smartarse though ... just wanted to make sure ... but buy the looks of the pics and the work done .... he knows exactly what he's doing ... so I have confidence in his work
dont get me wrong, neither was i....
he's done a great job on them
Old 16-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #16
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for taking up the intiative Dok ... nice work ... looks factory as well.
Would be interested in seeing the beam pattern as well.
If you want a test mule I can drive anywhere ... LOL ... within reason.

The projector lense will give better coverage within the beam on the road and therefore a clearer view of the road at night without stray lighting for oncoming traffic.

I was looking at using a BMW projector with the high/low beam shield in it when looking at modifying a set later down the track.

What globe type is used behind the projector???

Just wondering.

BTW I am very interested in your modified headlight.
H1 globe in the (projector) "parabola" is trade term I use so as not to confuse the thing with something used to show movies on. Actually, the set-up comes from the NA/C Fairlane/LTD as it's the most suitable design for this job. I've picked up & put down this "project" for @1yr now but am generally happy with the results. I will probably do the bezel conversion also as a seperate option.
Old 16-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I like the flat top black section across the lights.
Plus I am looking at going back to the factory style headlight as my current "performance" once can't accommodate the headlight protectors over them either.

Hmmmm .... I could use my exist HID system ... I just change to a H1 HID conversion globe instead of buying an entire new system.

Now You have me even more interested ... hee hee
Old 16-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I was looking at a BMW conversion kit as well (5-series) with high/low shield ... but seeing as The Dok has done the hard work already ... i am will to pay for his sets he has created/designed. His black bezel version is what I was after as well.

Plus giving forum members as much business as possible is always a good thing as well.
Old 16-02-2006, 07:19 PM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

your re-mods of them look really great through , big improvement ;) wd
Old 16-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #20
LUXO_8
windsor user

i'd be a bit careful using the HID kit with the NC projectors, only because the reflector is plastic and i dont know how they'd take to HID... would be absolutley fine with regular globes though
-

not trying to start anything but just a little warning...
Old 16-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Thanks for that ... good to know I guess.
I can bypass my HID system if needed though and run halogen still (If Needed).

Are you meaning the reflector shield inside the projector?????
I have 2 different projectors sitting at home just to scope them out ... but they are some sort of metal in the internals (have a Holden and a Honda Euro projector).
Old 16-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #22
LUXO_8
windsor user

yeah the "cup" i guess you'd call it , where the globe goes in, on the NC ones is plastic.

there are a couple of others that might work a lot better,
im running E36 BMW projectors
another good one that is a little more compact is the ones in a mazda 6
Old 16-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #23
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Hay dok its great to see they are done I knew youd get around to it eventually. They look better then expected. I can't wait to put them on and the eye lid looks great!

Im wondering would it look even better with projectors in the high beam as well or would that be too far? Either way let me know when you think theyll be ready
Old 16-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #24
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i'd be intrtested in these as well
Old 16-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #25
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman

Im wondering would it look even better with projectors in the high beam as well or would that be too far?
there'd be no point. the high beams are designed to put the light way down the road, whereas teh projectors are designed to spread the light for good short distance + not blinding the oncoming car

if you ran 2 projectors it'd be pretty meh lighting......
Old 16-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #26
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Hay dok its great to see they are done I knew youd get around to it eventually. They look better then expected. I can't wait to put them on and the eye lid looks great!

Im wondering would it look even better with projectors in the high beam as well or would that be too far? Either way let me know when you think theyll be ready
Definatey only putting the 1 "projector" in, apart from the dramas putting 1 in, there really is no room for another.

Quote:
It's all good guy's, it's only to be expected people would ask lots of questions, after all there are some dodgy immitation headlights around. I've been doing headlights for over 15 years, (panelbeater by trade) so these are the goods, they do however, look better in the flesh, even I was surprised how they came up.
Old 16-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #27
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
yeah the "cup" i guess you'd call it , where the globe goes in, on the NC ones is plastic.

there are a couple of others that might work a lot better,
im running E36 BMW projectors
another good one that is a little more compact is the ones in a mazda 6
I looked at @10 different types of these units, however, as the NA/C "Projector" is already proven to be reliable under normal use, & given the others inc mazda 6 are cheap & nasty or too long, (crucial area at the rear of the unit) so it doesn't poke out too far, remember where battery is, not much room as there is.
Old 16-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #28
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah yeah its all cool, under normal conditions, the NC ones will be perfect
just mechan1k was talking about adding HID and i was just making a little pointer that they had a plastic reflector........ theres nothing wrong with that for regular halogen globe use..... but for HID use, it's possible that they will melt.......

once again, great job on the lights mate!! they look sensational :king:
Old 16-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #29
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Default Modified AU Headlight

I'm glad you brought up this topic.
..Because as much as I love my AU, I have been 'doin' my head in' trying to think of a way to make the front of the car (The Headlights mainly) look better.
A mate of mine summed it up pretty well saying:
"You can't polish a terd!"
...yes very funny, Monaro driver..
Anyway I was determined to give it go.
I tried making templates with tape to make eyelids, & played for hours.
I ended up pulling the headlights apart with a dremel & painting them black on the inside (like the BA look)
They look much better now..much tougher.

I would still be very interested to see more photos of what yours' look like or even in the flesh.

Top Effort,
Cheers,
Tim.
Aftermarket Reverse camera & DVD player through front monitor, 12" sub
Upgrade Alarm: glass, shock & tilt sensor
Old 16-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #30
HLC
Audi S3

where are the pictures. im super interested.