Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #91
TheColonel

Also of note, i went in for my 15000km service this week, had the HDI updated finally to give the instant fuel consumption and turning the ESP off via the HDI...
Old 29-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #92
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Also of note, i went in for my 15000km service this week, had the HDI updated finally to give the instant fuel consumption and turning the ESP off via the HDI...
Do you still have the average fuel readout as well or does one replace the other?
Old 29-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #93
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Good to know the updates are about, I might get mine done when they replace the left front door trim,centre console lid and washer pipe under warranty.

How does the ESP turn off? do they add another set of screens to the interface?

I'd like to see them include a digital speedo like my Adventra had.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #94
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b
Do you still have the average fuel readout as well or does one replace the other?
Average is still there
Old 29-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #95
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Viykor
Good to know the updates are about, I might get mine done when they replace the left front door trim,centre console lid and washer pipe under warranty.

How does the ESP turn off? do they add another set of screens to the interface?

I'd like to see them include a digital speedo like my Adventra had.
I can't remember where it is, it's in one of the existing menus
Old 29-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #96
warren77

It is in settings / config.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #97
wjf

Not sure if this justified a new thread or not but...

How reliable are you finding your DTE reading? I have now filled up my car twice, the first time I panicked and used my closest servo and their high flow diesel pump (which wasnt fun) when my DTE went from 31kms to 2kms in the space of about 500M!!!

The second time I drove about 3kms with my DTE at 0 and made it to my preferred servo without any problem...

I dont normally wait til the very end to fill up petrol (or diesel in this case) but there isnt a huge gap from the time the fuel warning light came on to DTE 0. Much less of a margin than in my previosu cars, thats for sure.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #98
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjf
... my DTE went from 31kms to 2kms in the space of about 500M!!!...
Yes, I will never trust it again on my Zetec. Late Sunday night on the dark lonely road between Windsor and Springwood NSW, it went from 140kms to 3kms in about 10 kms. I was going up a hill and when I was back on a level road it only went back up to 20kms. Thankfully the servo at Winmalee was still open.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #99
ian b

The problem seems to be that the DTE appears to based on the real time fuel usage, so if you are going up a steep hill (I assume you were going up the Hawksbury Heights hill Katoomba) your fuel usage would skyrocket which combined with low fuel levels would then show DTE very low. The road leading up to the hill past Yarramundi is pretty flat so fuel use would be low giving you a high DTE even with a low fuel load.
I find the same anomoly up and down the GWH with DTE in excess of 1200kms when running down hill with a full tank. It then drops back to reality on the flat from Penrith to Blacktown.
Maybe have to update to display current fuel consumption as per The Colonel, and see if it changes much as driving conditions change.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #100
Katoomba

I think you're right, Ian. When I got to the top of the hill I expected it to return to what is was at Yarramundi ie 140 not 20.

(My daughter's boyfriend has moved from Katoomba to Windsor so I have to do that darn drive at least twice every weekend. I've certainly learnt to intensely dislike bike riders - following two riding abreast on a single lane highway with double lines tests one's patience! : That Springwood Road has been become the local test to see if you have bicycle balls apparently.)
Old 01-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #101
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The DTE is saying "keep driving like this,and this will happen!" it actually got me to the only servo near the F3 around Cessnock because I changed from being a lead foot to a feather foot,brilliant I trust it without any doubt :

apstar

when manufactures place a flow meter between fuel cap and tank then it will be perfect but using the tank level system could be +-/10%

Last edited by apstar; 01-09-2008 at 03:41 PM.
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #102
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I've never had the low fuel light come on. I learnt my lesson in my BA Futura, as soon as it gets to 1/4 tank, I put more diesel into it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #103
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I can get through the week on 1 tank so I always fill on (tightarse) Tuesday, whether I need it or not!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #104
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
I've never had the low fuel light come on. I learnt my lesson in my BA Futura, as soon as it gets to 1/4 tank, I put more diesel into it.
Absolutely Dusty1 & paulie0735 BUT I need to know what the car can give me out of a tank just in case push comes to shove now that I know its back to normal filling routine times like this I wish I had 2 trip meters

apstar
Old 01-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #105
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Absolutely Dusty1 & paulie0735 BUT I need to know what the car can give me out of a tank just in case push comes to shove now that I know its back to normal filling routine times like this I wish I had 2 trip meters

apstar
My BA had two trip meters, very handy. And a light around the ignition key hole too.

What's the size of the fuel tank? I reckon in the city (melbourne) I'd get about 550 Kms from a tank, at a guess. I never want to push it, as I've been caught out before, and it's not nice having to wait on the side of the road.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #106
wjf

I also drive mostly around Melbourne city and on my two tanks of fuel so far, I have got 750 and 790 out of the tanks...which is a 70 litre tank by the way.

This last tank of fuel in which I was driving with a DTE reading of zero I filled it to the brim and it took 69.2 litres...assuming the fuel lines will hold some fuel (duh!), I may have had a couple of litres left in the car.

Like I said though, not thrillled with the gap between the fuel light coming on and the end of the tank, I will probably fill up around the 700km mark.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #107
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quite a few interesting points raised here. Agree re the DTE bottoming out really quickly. I've had mine go from about 50 to 15 in 1 km. Not nice to see it bottom out to 0 in the next 2 kays - believe me I was in a panic. Had gone back up to 20 when I filled up. Now I try not to let it go below 100km. Will look at this update as I want the instantaneous fuel readout. I was getting around the 750 km mark out of a tank in stop start traffic but have seen the DTE hit 1100 kms after a fill and 15 km highway stretch. Nice!

I also have a BA falcon and miss the second trip meter and light around the ignition barrel.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #108
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1

What's the size of the fuel tank? I reckon in the city (melbourne) I'd get about 550 Kms from a tank, at a guess.
What!!! my fuel gauge is now on 1/2 and have done 590km!! and thats in Sydney no way Dusty :

apstar

ps I make one point thou some gauges are slow off the mark or quick then slow on the empty side,mine seems to be linear
Old 02-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #109
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjf
I also drive mostly around Melbourne city and on my two tanks of fuel so far, I have got 750 and 790 out of the tanks...which is a 70 litre tank by the way.

This last tank of fuel in which I was driving with a DTE reading of zero I filled it to the brim and it took 69.2 litres...assuming the fuel lines will hold some fuel (duh!), I may have had a couple of litres left in the car....
Be careful topping up the diesel into the fuel lines. I find that it leaches out and ends up streaking towards the rear of the car.

BTW I get between 900 - 1150 KMs out of a tank.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #110
wjf

Is it possible that Melbourne Mondeo's just arent as fuel efficient? No...ok.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #111
scribbly

Maybe you just like all the extra power and lead foot it when you can. (like me)
:

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 02-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #112
Blue XR5
Starter Motor

Default Rear Wiper

Hi All, I have had my XR5 for 4 months and apart from a few minor trim problems that have been fixed my car has been perfect.

I had the same LH footwell carpet problem but the dealer refitted it apparently their is a clip behind there that will retain the carpet in place.

I do have 1 little issue, when I first start the car if it is still in reverse the rear wiper sweeps across the screen. All the wipers are off but it still does it. Has anyone else experienced this?
Blue XR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 10:55 PM   #113
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Yeah it does that. Just sweeps it once when the reverse gear is selected. I'm a bit worried about my car doing this every time I start it in reverse during summer, as I'm sure rubbing the dirt into the window isn't going to do the glass and tint any good!! Have noticed that it does it occasionally but not every time, so it may be that the rear window has water sensors on it or something...

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #114
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
Yeah it does that. Just sweeps it once when the reverse gear is selected. I'm a bit worried about my car doing this every time I start it in reverse during summer, as I'm sure rubbing the dirt into the window isn't going to do the glass and tint any good!! Have noticed that it does it occasionally but not every time, so it may be that the rear window has water sensors on it or something...
The tint should be on the inside of the screen for that very same reason!

apstar
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #115
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Oh really? I thought they put it on both sides!! :togo: My bad!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #116
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
What!!! my fuel gauge is now on 1/2 and have done 590km!! and thats in Sydney no way Dusty :

apstar

ps I make one point thou some gauges are slow off the mark or quick then slow on the empty side,mine seems to be linear
I'll have to have a closer look. The car is in the garage at home, and I'm in the city. I don't drive it that much now, so I'll have a closer look. I could have been channelling my BA.
Previous:
Old 03-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #117
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XR5
I do have 1 little issue, when I first start the car if it is still in reverse the rear wiper sweeps across the screen. All the wipers are off but it still does it. Has anyone else experienced this?
Surely this should only occur if the wipers are on auto? This never happens in my car - it sounds like a fault.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 03-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #118
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJO89
The tint is on the inside so that won't be a problem. Mine does it too or at least it used to, I don't start it in reverse anymore = problem solved.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #119
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see why you couldn't take the car to Ford for ECU updates without needing it to have a service there.
Couldnt you just book it in for a software update?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #120
cammag

Some little niggly things really but still need to fixed;

- The door trim/window seal is lifting off.
- Genuine bonnet protector keeps falling off and damaged the paint. :
- Owners manual is incorrect, wrong fog light bulb spec – what else is wrong?
- Garnish on b-pillar scratched and swirled - just looks cheap.

Not really a problem but that brake dust is bloody annoying. The car is Sea Grey so the wheels at least kind of match.

But I do love the car. It is very quite. Drives and handles very well. Pretty good fuel economy. It does look very nice. :

I went to overtake a triple road train the other day and I was on the wrong side of the road for a VERY long time. It does seem a little under powered. But I do enjoy the pretty good fuel economy. I did buy it for economy and not performance. So it all balances out really.

So far a very good car.