Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
jared79
Sock Puppets

Default Problems

Ok guys, I have been reading the forums through and I have noticed a few issues with your Mondeo's. Am I the only one not having issues? All these things everyone is talking about, I don't seem to have them. (Knock on wood)

It's hard to tell by only reading text as to what you are feeling. I just want to know besides the little issues you all seem to be having as to whether you regret buying the Mondeo?

I for one am still over the moon with mine, I mean, it's not perfect and I do have 1 or 2 very minor issues, but nothing like what some of you guys are reporting.

I still love the way it handles, the way it looks and the interior......sweet. But I came from a 95 Falcon, so maybe I am easier to please.

Just looking for your thoughts.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
monkeyboy666

I had mine in for its 15 thou service (they grow up so fast!) this week, and had nothing that needed checking. My only issues have been the quirk where the front passenger window would occasionally 'bounce' down to half way when I was trying to close it. That hasn't re-occurred in the last few weeks - though its been too cold to have the windows open lately.

Oh, and the other annoyance - sometimes when I press the voice activation button and say 'phone' the woman replies 'track number please...' that sure is annoying but you can't argue with her. I've tried.
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #3
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have had ours now for two weeks and a have a list of things that will need to be fixed at first service. We still love the car and are happy with it. Does not matter what you buy you will always find something wrong with it.

Here is a list of things I founds so far:
- Both front door skins need replacing due to the vinyl wrap coming of at top.
- Rear center seat belt is stick, the tensioner is locked and seatbelt can not be pulled out.
- Annoying metallic click when you release the break paddle, coming from under dash somewhere.
- Rattle from drivers door.

..........but there are more import things in life to worry about. I am sure the above will get sorted at first service
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
- Annoying metallic click when you release the break paddle, coming from under dash somewhere.
I do have this as well actually. I told them about it at the 3000 service and they said it was the brake caliper, however it still does it. I will mention it again at the 15000, but it hasn't effected the drive at all, and if you turn your CD player up, can't even hear it. Just make sure you mention that it's not the brake caliper, or if it is, make sure they check it properly.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
I do have this as well actually. I told them about it at the 3000 service and they said it was the brake caliper, however it still does it. I will mention it again at the 15000, but it hasn't effected the drive at all, and if you turn your CD player up, can't even hear it. Just make sure you mention that it's not the brake caliper, or if it is, make sure they check it properly.
I know for a fact it is not the brake caliper. The sound is coming from under the dash and it sounds like a solenoid clicking.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #6
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
I know for a fact it is not the brake caliper. The sound is coming from under the dash and it sounds like a solenoid clicking.
Cheers, I will mention that when I have my 15000K service.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

No complaints here, apart from the water entering the boot after it rains when you open the hatch.

But a lot of hatch backs do that.

100% happy so far, and 6000Kms on the clock

*EDIT*

One thing I just thought of...

When you enable the single unlock feature on the key fob (one press for drivers door, two for all doors), when you unlock only the drivers door, if the car is running you can't unlock the boot via the keyfob.

You press the boot unlock button on the keyfob twice but it doesnt work whilst the engine is running.

The only way to unlock the boot is to jump back into the car, close the door, lock all the doors with the switch near the internal door handle, the unlock all the doors via the same switch, get out and then the boot is unlocked.

Very annoying. A boot release button in the cabin would have been nice, like the falcon has.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #8
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Mine has a rather nasty vibration in 4th gear, can feel it through the stick and at times bad enough to cause an audible rattle? Dealer checked it out at 3k and wants it back to have a better look! I'm pretty sure it’s a simple adjustment with the selector cables as it goes away when i push the stick towards 3rd, so hopefully an adjustment or an alignment of the lever will solve it. Not really concerned about the gearbox as such as the stick is remote mounted. If the stick were a direct fit into the box like some rear drive boxes I would be very concerned. Time will tell.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

A new one tonight. I have a "service oil" message now appearing. Considering I changed the oil at the 3K service and have only done 6K, I'm hoping it's just an electronic glitch. Anyone had the same?
Old 21-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
A new one tonight. I have a "service oil" message now appearing. Considering I changed the oil at the 3K service and have only done 6K, I'm hoping it's just an electronic glitch. Anyone had the same?
If you personally changed the oil, thats why. Because you can't reset the counter.

If ford did the service they have forgotten to reset it.

Not sure about Ford, but if its like a BMW - It calculates upon how many Km's you have driven and how hard the car has been driven. The harder you drive it, the more regularly the message will say change the oil.
Old 21-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
switch ignition on then press and hold service button for 4 seconds. the button is inside the glove box then turn ignition off

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
scribbly

Quote:
Over on the UK forum they say you turn the ignition on (engine off) and push both the brake & accelerator as far down as possible for 5 sec's. This resets the oil change notification.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #13
brucel
brucel

I had the same message around 8200km. During the 3000km dealer check service I had the oil changed and confirmed this had been done when I got the vehicle home. When the warning message came on I checked the oil level which was between the low and high marks on the dipdstick with no smell of diesel). The dealer said they had probably not reset it and to bring it in for resetting. They indicated it took longer than expected as just resetting the service button did not work. Eventually they found you needed to push both the brake and accelerator to reset the message. (Thanks scribbly)
The UK/German forums indicate it is possible if extra diesel is needed to increase the temperature during the DPF clean for some to get into the oil resulting in a "Service Oil" warning. The Google translation wasn't really clear as to whether or not this required a software upgrade.
brucel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucel
I had the same message around 8200km. During the 3000km dealer check service I had the oil changed and confirmed this had been done when I got the vehicle home. When the warning message came on I checked the oil level which was between the low and high marks on the dipdstick with no smell of diesel). The dealer said they had probably not reset it and to bring it in for resetting. They indicated it took longer than expected as just resetting the service button did not work. Eventually they found you needed to push both the brake and accelerator to reset the message. (Thanks scribbly)
The UK/German forums indicate it is possible if extra diesel is needed to increase the temperature during the DPF clean for some to get into the oil resulting in a "Service Oil" warning. The Google translation wasn't really clear as to whether or not this required a software upgrade.
I've read the same thing but thanks. I'm taking it to the dealer next week so I'll see what they say. If it needs an oil change so be it but I won't be forking out for another one. A bit concerning about the potential for diesel in the oil though.

There is no oil change scheduled for the 3K service. I opted to do it.
Old 19-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I finally got my TDCi back into fix some of the issues.

This is what the dealer did:

Replaced sunroof seal (it was leaking)
Stop sunroof from shuddering when opening
Replace passenger's A pillar
Set autolocking
Replace rear tweeter
Re-set clips for the bumper (the dealer fitted a tow bar, and the clips weren't on properly)
Re-set auto transmission

I showed the dealer the A pillar in January. Good to see it took six months for the part to come in.

With the re-set of the transmission, there is a patch that Ford has released to stop any harshness in downshifting. If you are getting your car in for a service, they'll probably do it then, otherwise you might have to book it in.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
jared79
Sock Puppets

Nope, do you change the oil or did Ford? Maybe they forgot or didn't bother. Done just over 9K in mine all is still smooth sailing.

Old 21-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I don't believe the oil warning has anything to do with the 3k look and park that’s done by the dealer, its not a service!! I doubt the light has anything to do with the fact that you have changed the oil yourself unless you have under filled it or used the wrong grade of oil.
Old 21-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #18
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

I didn't change it myself - I got the dealer to change it at the 3K service.
I do know some cars can supposedly detect when certain maintenance is required but not sure the mondeo is one of them. I drive in quite heavy stop start traffic so does this mean I need oil changes every 6K or so? Hope not....
Old 21-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #19
jared79
Sock Puppets

Don't they normally do an oil change at 3k. I was told they did, because it's new engine.

Old 22-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #20
Katoomba

Quote:
Don't they normally do an oil change at 3k. I was told they did, because it's new engine.
Is that for the diesel? My service book quotes the first oil change for the Zetec at 15,000k.

I asked the dealer to do it at the after sales check but he said there was no need to with the modern engine.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #21
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unfortunately not, the 3k is a 'peace of mind' check up. Essentially they look over the car for any obvious signs of abnormalities such as fluid leaks etc, and park it for 20 minutes than give it back to you.

If you guys want the oil changed before the scheduled 15k than I would be taking it to your local mechanic to do. The cost of getting the dealer to do it would be approx double what it’s actually worth. Better still, bribe a mate to do it for you if you don’t have the tools or time to do it yourself. I change mine on every new car I purchase at 1,000 and again every 5,000 that’s not a recommendation, it’s just what I do.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #22
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

How does Global window closing work? The salesperson showed me and I've looked at the manual.

I did change my locking sequence to drivers door first then second click unlocks all doors. Has this changed something.

Also is the mirror dipping a standard feature for the XR5 or an option? I can't get it to work so I assume it's an option.

We picked ours up Friday and today was the first day we have put the windows down after getting them tinted. Just noticed the passenger front door trim is peeling away at the top.

The first tray in the centre also seems to stick and not open, the plastic at the front of it has a split.

Aside from that it all is sweet.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
scribbly

When you hold the open doors button down on the the remote fob for a few seconds all the windows go down. It is the opposite for all windows up - hold the lock all doors button down for a few seconds and all the windows should head upward.
Cheers...

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #24
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
When you hold the open doors button down on the the remote fob for a few seconds all the windows go down. It is the opposite for all windows up - hold the lock all doors button down for a few seconds and all the windows should head upward.
Cheers...
FMG!! you wouldn't want to do that if it's ****ing down with rain ;)

apstar
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
FMG!! you wouldn't want to do that if it's ****ing down with rain ;)

apstar
But perfect on the really hot day to get the super heated air to escape before you hop in to the car.

MA Mondeo
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
Old 02-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #26
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
But perfect on the really hot day to get the super heated air to escape before you hop in to the car.
yeh fair enough point taken especially due to that european designed air-con needs every bit of help

apstar
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #27
ian b

[The first tray in the centre also seems to stick and not open, the plastic at the front of it has a split.]

I had the same issue, seems to be a common occurance.

I got the dealer to fit a replacement through the Ford warranty, although it took them 4 weeks to get the parts.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #28
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I read about an upgrade re this. Mine does not lock, I think the latest batch do!
Old 16-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #29
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Mondeo fuel gauge and DTE stops at 1/4 full on the way down and tells you there's about 200KM left in the car, and will keep saying so until it suddenly conks out.. Which it did.. this morning.
(Btw.. i got 730km from a tankful)
Also theres an annoying rattle from the left rear door or B pillar area.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #30
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah my fuel flap doesn't lock.

The first batch doesn't lock, the newer .1 models have the locking fuel cap.