Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #1441
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Lol.

Bloke who used to build our race engines did a lot of work with these desert racers.

A coyote would be so nose heavy it couldn't jump.
If they were to build one expect the engine to be sitting next to, or slightly behind you.

That's what Nankervis Performance did with their v8 hiluxes to try and balance them.

I suspect Ford dumped the 3.2 for this very reason. 2 litre is an aluminium lightweight.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1442
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up until Ford released the Ranger Raptor I didn't realize we had so many unfulfilled desert racers here in Oz that have been silently waiting. Can I suggest if the Ranger Raptor isn't fast enough for you to go desert racing go and buy the competitor product where they have similar factory fitted suspension and identical offroad abilities and a more powerful engine....oh wait ...

I can't wait until some of our forum members get their first photos on here once in possession so we can end the "verbal circle work".
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #1443
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The jumps were done by engineers under control situations

I founds this article on the F150 Raptor enlightening:
Quote:
The Truth About The Ford Raptor
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-t...tor-1506180244
The Raptor is not a race vehicle. It is the first only factory built truck designed to go off road at high speeds, and as with all firsts it was met with some misunderstanding. The Raptor is a sports truck, not a race truck. It was built to go off road racing like a Porsche Cayman is built to go to Le Mans from the factory- it wasn't. It is extremely fun to go driving off road in a sporty manner, but if you push it too hard it will break. It is advertised to jump and take rough roads at speed, like Porsches are advertised as being able to corner at high speed. If you drive a Porsche around a unfamiliar track with your foot to the floor you don't blame Porsche when you end up in the tire barrier.

The perception problem people have is that compared to everything else on the road, the Raptor is a pretty extreme prerunner. It has nice suspension components, and it is so easy to drive at speed in the desert it makes you want to go faster and faster. It never feels like it is being abused, and that is part of the problem. You never know when you're approaching the limit until you've already passed it. Another problem is when owners that are new to off road driving try to push their trucks.

The Raptor is not a long travel truck, despite advertising and journalists saying it is. It's a mid-travel truck that has been set up very well by a team of professionals from Ford and Fox. The triple bypass dampers mean the truck rides smoother the faster it is driven, and it rides smoother over large bumps than small ones. This makes it very easy for inexperienced drivers to start over driving the truck. The truck has around 12" of travel, and at rest or driving down the road it sits in the middle of that travel. This allows the wheels to fall into dips, and rise over bumps. Remember the Raptor has 34.5" tires and only 6" of uptravel available when sizing obstacles in the road.

Dirt roads are unpredictable and hard to read unless you know what you're doing. Bumps and dips hide in certain light, so knowing the course you're on is very important. The Raptor is more than capable of completing the Baja 1000 or the Dakar rally in one piece and has done both. There is a reason trophy truck teams spend a week pre running the Baja 1000 course, marking obstacles and setting up their trucks for the course and then many of them don't finish the race. Off roading is hard on vehicles, and high speed off roading compounds that abuse so knowing where you are and what you're doing is very important to safely driving a truck like the Raptor at speed.

When the Raptor hit the streets in the middle of 2009, everyone loved it. It made truck people out of people that hate trucks. Nobody can deny the cool factor of the Raptor. Two years later, the bent frame scandal began. A company that specializes in Raptor aftermarket parts organized a "Raptor Run" that owners bought into and the course went from Barstow to Las Vegas on a power line access road. The Raptor is more than capable of driving this road, as is any 4x4 truck. It is long and remote, but easy to do. It is a good road to let the Raptor stretch its legs. The organizing company, pre ran the course the week before the run at high speed and bent the frame on their truck. They also had Lawrance off road GPS in their truck and were marking the course. They did not inform the Raptor owners they damaged their truck and did not give course maps out. They ran all the trucks at racing speed and advertised running at over 100 mph. The Raptor is electronically limited to 100 mph from the factory, so these trucks had modified ECUs that allowed them to go faster. None of the owners had been on the course before and they were being led down it at high speed with no course notes, no maps, and no communication between trucks.

Since this first run, changes have been made to how they are organized and no problems have occurred since.

Many Raptor had of aftermarket leaf spring packs, which made the ride softer but also made it easier to bottom out due to the softer spring rate. All trucks running aftermarket springs during the run bent their frame, and of the ones that didn't all were stock. The stock trucks that did bend their frame were much less severe than the modified trucks.

What more can be said than if you drive off road irresponsibly, your truck is not going to look good at the end of the day. It doesn't matter if you're in a Raptor, a Jeep or a Trophy Truck that costs half a million dollars, has three feet of suspension travel, a chromemoly chassis and a helicopter chasing it. It doesn't matter how strong the frame is if the person behind the wheel doesn't know when to lift. And the Raptor has a very strong frame. It doesn't bend easily.

Jumping the Raptor isn't what bent the frames. The Raptor can fly high and far as long as the driver knows what he is doing and makes the landing, as proven here by a pro driver on a course designed for trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxyzTAnF1lY

Done right, the Raptor will happily fly all day long and then take you home in comfort, like a Porsche after a track day. If you land the jumps properly, that is. Jumping the trucks isn't how the famous Raptor Frame Scandal began. Hitting dirt kickers at speed is what bent those trucks, and it is far harsher on the truck than jumping it where the suspension is at full droop and all the available travel is there to slow the fall. Kickers on dirt roads are sharp rises, like curbs or speed bumps, that cause your suspension to compress very quickly when taken at speed. The one on the road to Las Vegas that caused the scandal was about 8-12 inches according to people that went on the run. Best case scenario, it will demand the tire move up 8" in a fraction of a second since they were going so fast. If you have 6" of uptravel (likely less, since the trucks were carrying passengers and gear) and you need to move the wheel up 8" almost instantly while traveling at speed. The axle has nowhere to go after the suspension is fully compressed, the tire has given as much as it can and the bump stop mount has broken. The truck frame gives. The truck doesn't lose control, nor does it break in a way that strands the driver. If the frame didn't give out, the axle would have kicked the rear of the truck into the air, which could cause the truck to lose control. That's a very dangerous situation in the desert, particularly to inexperienced drivers in trucks without roll cages or safety harnesses which would be required by any racing organization which allows you to do the exact same thing but with a number and a time.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-09-2018 at 05:45 PM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #1444
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
given limited production numbers, are they going to sell as many as they plan? Yes.
The production on the raptor is not limited. It's a matter of supply chain capacity, and Ford will make as many as people will buy.
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #1445
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Raptor may not be but Ranger in total is limited to what AAT and FTM can produce. Sure Ford will try and balance production and bias towards Raptor and Wildtrak as much as they can to increase overall profits, but there's only so far they can take that rebalancing in the factories. There's a plan, but if demand far exceeds that plan it's not as simple as just going to Fox and ordering more shocks.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2018, 08:41 PM   #1446
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Lol.

What's the issues with that? Most are not going to do that. The ones who do will probably end up on a YouTube fail compilation.

I wouldn't expect a coyote in a Ranger. I wouldn't expect a 2L diesel either(unless it was a base model work vehicle).

It might make sense to have an engine similar to all other expensive dual cabs. V6 diesels with almost 200kws and at least 550nm.

Twin turbo V6 would be a beast of an engine. I have been looking up BMW v6 twin and triple turbo diesels, the power and torque numbers are impressive.
I know, I know Ford probably doesn't have any existing V6 diesels they could stick in this.
Wouldn't want to produce a new engine for a halo car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #1447
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Raptor may not be but Ranger in total is limited to what AAT and FTM can produce. Sure Ford will try and balance production and bias towards Raptor and Wildtrak as much as they can to increase overall profits, but there's only so far they can take that rebalancing in the factories. There's a plan, but if demand far exceeds that plan it's not as simple as just going to Fox and ordering more shocks.
I think I may have posted this before, but for those who haven't seen it. Here is the ford director of marketing discussing their plan, and how they see the sales coming off other variants of the ranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63Yox4aUqM
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 04:59 AM   #1448
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Sometimes it is that easy......
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #1449
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
I think I may have posted this before, but for those who haven't seen it. Here is the ford director of marketing discussing their plan, and how they see the sales coming off other variants of the ranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63Yox4aUqM
Fords plan is to move buyers from a $60000 Ute to a $80000 Ute. Upsale. It’s what every business is built on. Don’t need a manager on $300000 a year to tell you that.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 AM   #1450
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
What's the issues with that? Most are not going to do that. The ones who do will probably end up on a YouTube fail compilation.

I wouldn't expect a coyote in a Ranger. I wouldn't expect a 2L diesel either(unless it was a base model work vehicle).

It might make sense to have an engine similar to all other expensive dual cabs. V6 diesels with almost 200kws and at least 550nm.

Twin turbo V6 would be a beast of an engine. I have been looking up BMW v6 twin and triple turbo diesels, the power and torque numbers are impressive.
I know, I know Ford probably doesn't have any existing V6 diesels they could stick in this.
Actually check out the 2018 F-150 Powerstroke...a modified version of the Landrover V6 tdi co-developed with PSA and built by Ford in Europe...as mentioned here next gen Ranger should open up a whole lot of options.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #1451
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
Craig

I don't know about others but if the Raptor came with a Coyote my first thoughts would have been it will be in my Garage .

It's a bad *** looking rig and for those that see it as meeting their needs in its current guise congrats to them. This is a forum and it's about discussion, good or bad.

So IMHO in it's present guise the Raptor is sadly lacking in its name and that's just my opinion as I would want a V8 nothing else.

So with that in mind a 2L diesel sucks and the 10 speed won't really help, ie you being at Ford would know the 10 speed will only go through all the gears at wide open throttle or if you only keep the throttle at a small opening otherwise it's programmed to skip gears, meaning you could do the three S's whilst getting up to any speed.

However, since further details have been released even with a Coyote I would now be more concerned about points raised in the articles below.

Ford fitted roll cages to test rigs so the journo's could test its suspension over all terrain including jumps and much has been made about its jumping ability to the extend Ford's preview vid releases show a lot of jumping etc.

"Taking this to the next level, Ford fit two of its pre-production vehicles with full roll cages and race seats. The course its engineers set up was designed to show us just how much give there is in the suspension and how the body reacts when it's smashed over corrugations, soft sand and eventually a jump that would see all four wheels leave the ground and cause the car to hit the ground on a full suspension compression."

It's then reported that it comes with the 5 yr unlimited klm warranty, which is great but then there's this worrying rider for those that are waiting for their off road Raptor.

"And, before you ask, the warranty doesn't cover jumping your ute."

Huh, thats what Ford advertise it's good at and the engineering that went into it.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/669708/...raptor-review/

Then there's this;

“The Raptor is about the suspension, about the chassis and it’s about breaking the bank on the chassis, the suspension and the architecture. Literally, those four shocks costs as much as the whole engine.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...-engine-117193

WTF, so you blow a shock/s either intentionally jumping or accidently due to big bumps you didn't notice and you're on your own for a replacement/s and will need to do some major sucking up to your bank manager.

Knowing Ford you will have to be able to PROVE you weren't jumping so good luck with that even if it happened on a basic metro speedbump or a stretch of basic corrugations.

Sorry but now even if it did come with a Coyote that little gem if true would kill it for me. Ford's blurb is all about its suspension ability but they won't warranty the main components. Can you confirm if this is true or will it be good luck proving it for those that plan to use their "off road Raptor" off road.

Can you also advise us here what Fords RRP is for a complete shock.
So do you expect Ford to cough up to fix broken cars that have been jumped off 50 ft cliffs?

Ford are well within their rights to deny warranty to someone who has done something completely idiotic. Nothing is indestructable. Nor are they claiming it is.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #1452
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Up until Ford released the Ranger Raptor I didn't realize we had so many unfulfilled desert racers here in Oz that have been silently waiting. Can I suggest if the Ranger Raptor isn't fast enough for you to go desert racing go and buy the competitor product where they have similar factory fitted suspension and identical offroad abilities and a more powerful engine.......
Really, I didn't think there was. What gave you that idea.

But if you don't think that many will get a little bit of air over some humps etc when showing off to their mates you are being very naive.

Thus, if and I mean a big IF what that journo says is true about no warranty under these circumstances despite Fords various release vids then they are putting themselves in a precarious position.

This has nothing to do with desert racing. For instance, one of our members is planning a CSR trip. Depending on conditions and timing the CSR can virtually be 1800klm's of corrugation hell, not to mention coincidently many of what are referred to as jump ups that will test any suspension.

But Ford say the Raptor will allow you to traveres corrugations with ease and realistically it would have to be the absolute perfect rig to do the CSR. But its shocks etc will get a real workout even going at a snails pace with a load of camping gear. That is not say Fox shocks won't be able to handle this continuous torture but it could go pear shaped.

So if he gets to the end with 4 pogo sticks or a cracked suspension arm etc apparently Ford can say, sorry your problem, as there is no warranty as you must have been jumping and he has to prove he didn't when their vids clearly show potential customers that's what it can do !!!!

Hopefully, the journo is wrong and Craig will be able to refute this for the likes of those that choose to do the CSR or similar etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Lol.
Bloke who used to build our race engines did a lot of work with these desert racers.
Quote:
Exactly Ben, nothing to do with jumping.

I'm not fully aware of the timing but apparently Ford did try to come to an arrangement with VW on sharing their V6 turbo diesel to no avail but for use in what we'll never know.

Mercury Bullet, we'll never get it but this would be a RAPTOR not the claytons unit we got and look no jumping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Uuvj_Uz9o

PS: BossXR8, see above
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #1453
Bossxr8
Peter Car

These shocks won't crap out due to corragations. And did you miss the part about the chassis in the F150 Raptor that will bend before the shocks ever get damaged?

If someone bends the chassis and takes it back to Ford to fix they will instantly know it has been pushed way beyond sane actions.

There's a reason the shocks are so expensive. They are tough as nails. Fox shocks are so widely used on Baja racers for a reason.

I'm loving the reasons some people are using to discredit the Raptor.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #1454
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesus dude now you are just being plain silly, with dropping of 50ft cliffs and now a F150 Raptor chassis that will bend before its shocks get damaged .

"These shocks won't crap out due to corragations"

Seems you also missed the bit where I said that ….. but it could happen and you could be on your own replacing 4 shocks that apparently cost more than the engine.

"That is not say Fox shocks won't be able to handle this continuous torture but it could go pear shaped."
Old 12-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #1455
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Jesus dude now you are just being plain silly, with dropping of 50ft cliffs and now a F150 Raptor chassis that will bend before its shocks get damaged .

Seems you also missed the bit where I said that ….. but it could happen and you could be on your own replacing 4 shocks that apparently cost more than the engine.

"That is not say Fox shocks won't be able to handle this continuous torture but it could go pear shaped."
Did you not read the story above about the F150 Raptors bending chassis after huge jumps? Shocks weren't damaged, the chassis is designed to be the fuse that breaks first.

It could happen? No it won't, corrogations are nothing for these shocks. I'll bet you haven't even seen these shocks with your own eyes.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #1456
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Because then we'd have another nearly 200kw 550nm expensive dual cab on the market.

When are you guys going to realise this car is not built for the road?

Why is nobody complaining about the lack of nearly 200kw 550nm ecoboost v6's in "normal" rangers?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #1457
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Raptor sucks. And it hasn’t even hit the road yet.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #1458
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you feel this way why didn't you get the V6 diesel or maybe the SRT V8 when your purchased your Jeep? don't you have the V6 petrol?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #1459
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

So much talk.. So easy for keyboard warriors to go on about what they would buy... We can all dream I guess.

Every dealer I have spoken to is sold out of Raptor for sometime.

Is the car perfect? No, not by a long shot. But it does offer something no one else does other then potentially HSV with the Sports Cat.

Would I buy one.. Yes, Im a toorak tractor driver, what can I say, if it looks good I'm sold.

My neighbour rolled home in one a few nights ago and it looks mint!!!!!

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 12-09-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1460
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Did you not read the story above about the F150 Raptors bending chassis after huge jumps? Shocks weren't damaged, the chassis is designed to be the fuse that breaks first.

It could happen? No it won't, corrogations are nothing for these shocks. I'll bet you haven't even seen these shocks with your own eyes.
O'Boy.

Mate, whilst the F150 has nothing to do with an Oz Raptor are you honestly inferring that Oz Raptors owners will be overjoyed with the news that if they inadvertently launch off a drop off or hit a big boonie way too fast, then its likely their Raptor could end up looking like a banana but the saving grace will be they will still have 4 shocks in good order.

For the umpteenth time let me spell it out. My comments have NOTHING to do with its ability or non ability to be able to survive any sort of jumping or anything else and I don't give a flying fig either way.

But like many here I also reckon the Raptor is wicked (except for its engine ) and have been reading the various reviews etc. But when reading the caradvice review this para was a shock and worth pointing out if true.

Servicing costs for the new 2.0-litre engine are yet to be confirmed, but we do know the Ranger Raptor will launch with a five-year, unlimited kilometre warranty with roadside assistance. And, before you ask, the warranty doesn't cover jumping your ute.

Now, if this is indeed true then it not only raises a potential issue for Raptor owners but also for Ford who have perhaps created an absolute conundrum for themselves. Do you not see this.

Surely, it's not necessary for me to quote every Ford honcho's blurb about what the Raptor is all about but here's an excerp from the Vice President of product development at the "Darwin test rack launch".

“If people are looking for a vehicle to do all those things at speed, this vehicle removes all those obstacles."

View the various Darwin test vids and you will see journo's being told to hit jumps at full speed and comments such as the Raptor even comes with a "baja" mode for fast off road use etc etc,

So we have Ford confirming what its made for, ie ironing out rough roads at speed and even if you hit a boonie and get some air, no worries it can handle it.

But if the journo is correct then should ANY issue arise, not just with its suspension when doing what it's been specifically designed for, Ford could wash their hands of a warranty claim by using this clause. Don't try and tell me that many dealers and possibly Ford itself won't consider using it to circumnavigate possible big dollar warranty issues as you will have to prove you didn't jump and good luck with that.

http://mobile.redbook.com.au/car-new...-engine-113770

It will be interesting to hear from those that get them if its warranty has such a rider. Prospective buyers would be wise to clarify this and perhaps get anything said to the contrary in writing before taking delivery.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:36 PM   #1461
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really, I didn't think there was. What gave you that idea.

But if you don't think that many will get a little bit of air over some humps etc when showing off to their mates you are being very naive.

Thus, if and I mean a big IF what that journo says is true about no warranty under these circumstances despite Fords various release vids then they are putting themselves in a precarious position.

This has nothing to do with desert racing. For instance, one of our members is planning a CSR trip. Depending on conditions and timing the CSR can virtually be 1800klm's of corrugation hell, not to mention coincidently many of what are referred to as jump ups that will test any suspension.

But Ford say the Raptor will allow you to traveres corrugations with ease and realistically it would have to be the absolute perfect rig to do the CSR. But its shocks etc will get a real workout even going at a snails pace with a load of camping gear. That is not say Fox shocks won't be able to handle this continuous torture but it could go pear shaped.

So if he gets to the end with 4 pogo sticks or a cracked suspension arm etc apparently Ford can say, sorry your problem, as there is no warranty as you must have been jumping and he has to prove he didn't when their vids clearly show potential customers that's what it can do !!!!

Hopefully, the journo is wrong and Craig will be able to refute this for the likes of those that choose to do the CSR or similar etc.

Exactly Ben, nothing to do with jumping.

I'm not fully aware of the timing but apparently Ford did try to come to an arrangement with VW on sharing their V6 turbo diesel to no avail but for use in what we'll never know.

Mercury Bullet, we'll never get it but this would be a RAPTOR not the claytons unit we got and look no jumping

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Uuvj_Uz9o

PS: BossXR8, see above
You clearly, completely and utterly misread my sarcasm..of course there is no Ranger Raptor competitor..THATS the whole point regardless of which engine it comes with.
And Ford have built a V6 diesel for years, why would they try and get one from VW?...
Old 12-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #1462
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It's absolutely true, it's designed that way, once there's no suspension travel and your fully compressed on the bump stops the chassis is designed give to avoid rear kick up which could lead to a massive accident, the shocks won't break...but what would the team who designed it and investigated the F150 Raptors damaged know, lol...
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #1463
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're right about the Raptors, they are such a capable fast flowing Ute that it makes
novice drivers feel so capable BUT...that's when people can get themselves into trouble.

If there were really problems with Ford honoring warranty on Raptor, we would have heard
all about it now as it would be all over the internet. There's been no systemic failure of parts
like shocks and suspension bits on the bigger F150 Raptor so that bodes well for the local effort.

I think you'll find as valued customers Ranger Raptors will probably get a sympathetic ear should
anything untoward happen, it all depends on the relationship with the dealership as a good DP
can really grease the wheels.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #1464
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
O'Boy.

Mate, whilst the F150 has nothing to do with an Oz Raptor are you honestly inferring that Oz Raptors owners will be overjoyed with the news that if they inadvertently launch off a drop off or hit a big boonie way too fast, then its likely their Raptor could end up looking like a banana but the saving grace will be they will still have 4 shocks in good order.

For the umpteenth time let me spell it out. My comments have NOTHING to do with its ability or non ability to be able to survive any sort of jumping or anything else and I don't give a flying fig either way.

But like many here I also reckon the Raptor is wicked (except for its engine ) and have been reading the various reviews etc. But when reading the caradvice review this para was a shock and worth pointing out if true.

Servicing costs for the new 2.0-litre engine are yet to be confirmed, but we do know the Ranger Raptor will launch with a five-year, unlimited kilometre warranty with roadside assistance. And, before you ask, the warranty doesn't cover jumping your ute.

Now, if this is indeed true then it not only raises a potential issue for Raptor owners but also for Ford who have perhaps created an absolute conundrum for themselves. Do you not see this.

Surely, it's not necessary for me to quote every Ford honcho's blurb about what the Raptor is all about but here's an excerp from the Vice President of product development at the "Darwin test rack launch".

“If people are looking for a vehicle to do all those things at speed, this vehicle removes all those obstacles."

View the various Darwin test vids and you will see journo's being told to hit jumps at full speed and comments such as the Raptor even comes with a "baja" mode for fast off road use etc etc,

So we have Ford confirming what its made for, ie ironing out rough roads at speed and even if you hit a boonie and get some air, no worries it can handle it.

But if the journo is correct then should ANY issue arise, not just with its suspension when doing what it's been specifically designed for, Ford could wash their hands of a warranty claim by using this clause. Don't try and tell me that many dealers and possibly Ford itself won't consider using it to circumnavigate possible big dollar warranty issues as you will have to prove you didn't jump and good luck with that.

http://mobile.redbook.com.au/car-new...-engine-113770

It will be interesting to hear from those that get them if its warranty has such a rider. Prospective buyers would be wise to clarify this and perhaps get anything said to the contrary in writing before taking delivery.
Ford are no different to any other company. Go and drop your iPhone or Galaxy, which are advertised as waterproof, into a river and then try and take it in and claim water damage under warranty.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #1465
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I think you'll find as valued customers Ranger Raptors will probably get a sympathetic ear should
anything untoward happen, it all depends on the relationship with the dealership as a good DP
can really grease the wheels.
Serious..lol

So you're suggesting that of the thousands of Focus owners who got involved in the class action against Ford, none of them were loyal enough or had built up enough of a rapport with their DP to get the powershift issues acknowledged by Ford, but break your Raptor, a vehicle which hasnt even hit the roads yet and therefore there is no evidence to back up your claim that someone will help if you're loyal or friendly with your DP and you'll be fine.

You'll have to excuse my scepticism, theres nothing in the Focus warranty statement to suggest your driving style will void a warranty claim on your transmission, but they're already warning against misuse on the Raptor.

Which do you suggest would be more likely to be fixed by this company with an apparent sympathetic ear...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #1466
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford can actually tell the difference between a premature shock failure and the damage from a seriously hard landing.

Ranger Raptor being around three times the price of a Focus will buy you a lot more attention from a DP.

So sad to see all these negative, contorted "what if" scenarios, what if buyers are happy with RR and actually play by the rules and enjoy their Utes?
I guess we can't have that on a Ford good news thread......

Last edited by jpd80; 12-09-2018 at 06:49 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #1467
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
It's absolutely true, it's designed that way, once there's no suspension travel and your fully compressed on the bump stops the chassis is designed give to avoid rear kick up which could lead to a massive accident, the shocks won't break...but what would the team who designed it and investigated the F150 Raptors damaged know, lol...
FFS I know that as I've read the same articles but we are talking about an Oz Ranger Raptor.

So you are saying Ford omitted to tell one an all and the testing journo's to be careful because if they bottomed out their hero 4wd it will turn into a banana. Besides an apparent no warranty claim on the whole rig if you jump it maybe you should let the cat out of the bag and warn buyers they could also end up with a banana. Unless our Raptor is designed the same what a US F150 Raptor may do means total squat.

I'm done with this crap and Mods I sincerely apologise for wasting band width by pointing out what may or maynot be a warranty issue for current or future "off road" Raptor owners.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #1468
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apology accepted.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #1469
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I know its been part of Ford's promotional activities to display the Raptor's capabilities, but I wonder how many people forking out 80k are going to willingly subject their new pickup truck to abusive behavior like "jumping".

Similar to a Range Rover being supremely capable off road but never subjected to such work because it would scratch the paint of the owners new 200k car.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #1470
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Ranger Raptor being around three times the price of a Focus will buy you a lot more attention from a DP.
Makes you wonder why they even offer a warranty on a Fiesta then, cheapskates dont deserve support if they're only spending a quarter of the price of a Raptor.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post