Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #1411
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
I believe, when the RR is released with a Petrol engine, we'll be all here still reading complaints about how poor the fuel econ is, why didn't they increase the tank size, the seating position is to high, the panels don't align, and it's not a flacon ute LOL
I don't particularly care about fuel economy, I've put over 200L of 98 through one of my cars in 8 days just driving to and from work.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #1412
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I believe a lot of the opposition is with the use of the Raptor name, rather than coming from Ford Performance.
That comes from not being aware of the genesis of F150 Raptor.
RR is more like the very first F150 Raptor in ways that undermines
their argument.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #1413
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I don't particularly care about fuel economy, I've put over 200L of 98 through one of my cars in 8 days just driving to and from work.
Of course and no one would deny your commitment
to driving what you obviously enjoy but equally, that
devotion may not be shared by others looking to lease
RR as a company vehicle on a set budget.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #1414
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
That comes from not being aware of the genesis of F150 Raptor.
RR is more like the very first F150 Raptor in ways that undermines
their argument.
This may be true but isnt the idea of progress to learn from your mistakes?
How is releasing Ranger Raptor in a sub standard form simply because the F150 Raptor was also substandard, acceptable or the result of learning from previous results.
This is what Ford want, give you a taste and then if you want better expect you to dig deep again.
Its probably a smart business model and they arent alone in thinking that way, but it only works effectively if your target audience is too easily led and swollow it.

You say people should buy this version and then complain, why on earth should people part with their hard earned just to teach a company which clearly doesnt learn very well, a lesson.
I'd say the best method would be to boycott the vehicle and when Ford asks why they cant sell it here, tell them its not up to scratch in the performance area.
This isnt the US or the middle east, canyons and sand dunes arent at the end of every street, it will be predominantly used on road and in that environment it isnt a performance vehicle, sad but true.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM   #1415
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
"Raptor" Fords are about OFF ROAD performance, not about who can do the fastest Qtr mile on tarmac.. That misses the whole point... Nothing else you can buy new in Australia has anything like the Off Road capability of the RR.. And that's the point of the damn thing... Its targeted at those who will be taking them off road consistently.. At those people who would otherwise buy a Wildtrack and then spend $20k at ARB on Lifts, Better tyres, better suspension, etc... Now they don't need to, they can have the same thing with factory backing...
If you are buying a Ranger to be a Blacktop warrior, then stick to the XLT/Wildrak and save the $$$$.
I don't understand, so if you don't live near the bush you'll need a Wildtrack to tow the TTT trailer queen to the dirt. Sort of what I'm hearing.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 03:16 PM   #1416
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
This isnt the US or the middle east, canyons and sand dunes arent at the end of every street, it will be predominantly used on road and in that environment it isnt a performance vehicle, sad but true.
To be fair, we don't have autobahns here either but still get the same cars that other counties get.

People are free to buy whichever cars they choose. Whether or not it lives up to the expectations of some is irrelevant in the scheme of things.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #1417
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
This may be true but isnt the idea of progress to learn from your mistakes?
How is releasing Ranger Raptor in a sub standard form simply because the F150 Raptor was also substandard, acceptable or the result of learning from previous results.
This is what Ford want, give you a taste and then if you want better expect you to dig deep again.
Its probably a smart business model and they arent alone in thinking that way, but it only works effectively if your target audience is too easily led and swollow it.

You say people should buy this version and then complain, why on earth should people part with their hard earned just to teach a company which clearly doesnt learn very well, a lesson.
I'd say the best method would be to boycott the vehicle and when Ford asks why they cant sell it here, tell them its not up to scratch in the performance area.
I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this but only to say that
Ranger Raptor may not be the mistake you claim if indeed it was
aimed at a much broader audience than just the Aussie petrol head.
Protesting to ford by not buying their products is a pointless exercise,
If you really desire a certain product, lobby Ford by starting a petition
with you and the other 20,000 who will put down money on the type
of vehicle you want, just stop complaining and do something.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #1418
articulatedsphinx

I think one need only look at the success of the iPhone and “holdback” features to realise that people will buy things that are good but not quite what you want.

There will always be something better in the future. Buy what makes you happy and fits your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #1419
articulatedsphinx

Also let me add that it is a bit insulting to suggest those who buy them are “swallowing it”. I’m fully aware of what I’m buying. I choose to buy it. So please don’t judge others on their choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #1420
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact that this is now the 4th longest thread in this section of the AFF of all time indicates something polarizing about this vehicle.

In a nutshell companies spend a fortune in establishing a product / name to give it a certain type of identity in the market place.

If you do not meet that identity then Joe Public is going to let you know about it and they have.

Is the Raptor going to sell? Yes
But are they going to sell as many as they could have? No.
This is what the bean counters never get.

What would have happened if Ford launched the RHD Mustang here in 4 Cylinder only?
Exactly. We would now have the longest thread in AFF History.

Ford have already solved their issue in offering 2 choices for this Vehicle.

Why can't it be the case for the Raptor.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #1421
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The fact that this is now the 4th longest thread in this section of the AFF of all time indicates something polarizing about this vehicle.

In a nutshell companies spend a fortune in establishing a product / name to give it a certain type of identity in the market place.

If you do not meet that identity then Joe Public is going to let you know about it and they have.

This is what the bean counters never get.

What would have happened if Ford launched the RHD Mustang here in 4 Cylinder only?
Exactly. We would now have the longest thread in AFF History.

Ford have already solved their issue in offering 2 choices for this Vehicle.

Why can't it be the case for the Raptor.
Because of cheap labour and Ford wishes to maximise and leverage the one way free-trade agreement with Thailand as much as possible, that’s why we don’t get the real thing and instead get one choice : the Thai tractor or nothing .
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #1422
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger Raptor was a finished deal, signed off and locked in before the Americans came
wanting a Ranger for their market so no development of 2.3 EB was done for ROW or RHD.

When the decision was made to green light Ranger Raptor, the Americans had no intentions
of taking up the Ranger for US production, the onlu engines availabe were those planned
for the final update (no 2.3 EB at that time)

Last edited by jpd80; 09-09-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #1423
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Would the 2.3 Ecoboost provide significantly better performance anyway? It wouldn't be significantly better would it?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #1424
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Would the 2.3 Ecoboost provide significantly better performance anyway? It wouldn't be significantly better would it?
Yes.

Then it is very easy to get 400rwhp out of them in a Mustang. The 2.3EB is a potent little package.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #1425
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Yes.
Even with the extra ~700kg it would have to lug around compared to the Mustang? 76kW more but 68Nm less than the diesel using the Mustang tune.

Edit: Just looking around at other vehicles with similar weight and power as a Raptor with the Ecoboost. 0-100 seems like it would be around the mid 8's. Sound reasonable?

Last edited by naddis01; 10-09-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:40 AM   #1426
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Even with the extra ~700kg it would have to lug around compared to the Mustang? 76kW more but 68Nm less than the diesel using the Mustang tune.

Edit: Just looking around at other vehicles with similar weight and power as a Raptor with the Ecoboost. 0-100 seems like it would be around the mid 8's. Sound reasonable?
So, that's what, a couple seconds quicker than it is now?

That's more than good for me. Then another 100 hp for a day of dyno tuning? I am good to go with that.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #1427
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
True,

I like to ignore the perpetual idiots.
forgive the above , he is old man, and talks to himself alot.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:26 AM   #1428
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issue is whether it's even possible to add 2.3 EB to Raptor at this late stage of Gen 1 T6?

I could imagine that all eng resources are now dedicated developing next gen vehicles.
so which vehicle are they going to delay to divert resources to adding an EB to Raptor?

Can anyone see Jim Hackett delaying Bronco so that Ranger Raptor can get a 2.3 EB?
Old 10-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #1429
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
The issue is whether it's even possible to add 2.3 EB to Raptor at this late stage of Gen 1 T6?

I could imagine that all eng resources are now dedicated developing next gen vehicles.
so which vehicle are they going to delay to divert resources to adding an EB to Raptor?

Can anyone see Jim Hackett delaying Bronco so that Ranger Raptor can get a 2.3 EB?
Agree.

The 2.3 would be great, but you know what, the one coming out would be great for me.

I have an '86 Foxbody that has hit 172 - 175 mph in the low 7.70s. BFD, I just don't need that for some fun off road in the backwoods hunting areas around here.

In the future, upgrades often happen. If I could, I'll take one just as they are.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #1430
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a great engine coming out in RWD Explorer next year, a 3.0 V6 Ecoboost,
it's almost a certainty that Bronco will get that engine and from there, connect the dots.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #1431
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Those would be some nice dots to connect.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #1432
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:

I was just playing around. I realise that an Ecoboost isn't going to happen in this generation.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #1433
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, well ,well,
It appears that Ford has grossly underestimated the demand for Raptor and has gone back
to BF Goodrich to source more tyres so it can increase production and fill all orders.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #1434
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, well ,well,
It appears that Ford has grossly underestimated the demand for Raptor and has gone back
to BF Goodrich to source more tyres so it can increase production and fill all orders.
Or maybe they are going to offer a free set of tyres for all those complaining about it's lack of a 240+kW V6 petrol model
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #1435
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
given limited production numbers, are they going to sell as many as they plan? Yes.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #1436
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

This thread reminds me of just about every other ford product reased.

Hyper-crytical commentary from persons whom are not in the market anyway. Sorta like the rubbish that came with the FG r-spec and GT-F models.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #1437
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not as bad as that Toyota 86 Thread..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #1438
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
This thread reminds me of just about every other ford product reased. Hyper-crytical commentary from persons whom are not in the market anyway.
Something similar happened with Mazda some time ago, people moaning and carrying on like a pork chop about the MX5 being under powered (well it was but it was still heaps of fun...like the Raptor will be!)

So they made a turbo one...and it sat in dealers yards. Discounted them in the end to make them go away...so where were all those "supposed buyers"... probably still at their keyboards no doubt bitching and moaning about another brand and model that "I'd buy it of only this was done to it"

Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #1439
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@CumberlandFord View Post
Something similar happened with Mazda some time ago, people moaning and carrying on like a pork chop about the MX5 being under powered (well it was but it was still heaps of fun...like the Raptor will be!)

So they made a turbo one...and it sat in dealers yards. Discounted them in the end to make them go away...so where were all those "supposed buyers"... probably still at their keyboards no doubt bitching and moaning about another brand and model that "I'd buy it of only this was done to it"

Too little, too late. Mazda misread the initial market demand. The rest is an excuse.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #1440
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Craig

I don't know about others but if the Raptor came with a Coyote my first thoughts would have been it will be in my Garage .

It's a bad *** looking rig and for those that see it as meeting their needs in its current guise congrats to them. This is a forum and it's about discussion, good or bad.

So IMHO in it's present guise the Raptor is sadly lacking in its name and that's just my opinion as I would want a V8 nothing else.

So with that in mind a 2L diesel sucks and the 10 speed won't really help, ie you being at Ford would know the 10 speed will only go through all the gears at wide open throttle or if you only keep the throttle at a small opening otherwise it's programmed to skip gears, meaning you could do the three S's whilst getting up to any speed.

However, since further details have been released even with a Coyote I would now be more concerned about points raised in the articles below.

Ford fitted roll cages to test rigs so the journo's could test its suspension over all terrain including jumps and much has been made about its jumping ability to the extend Ford's preview vid releases show a lot of jumping etc.

"Taking this to the next level, Ford fit two of its pre-production vehicles with full roll cages and race seats. The course its engineers set up was designed to show us just how much give there is in the suspension and how the body reacts when it's smashed over corrugations, soft sand and eventually a jump that would see all four wheels leave the ground and cause the car to hit the ground on a full suspension compression."

It's then reported that it comes with the 5 yr unlimited klm warranty, which is great but then there's this worrying rider for those that are waiting for their off road Raptor.

"And, before you ask, the warranty doesn't cover jumping your ute."

Huh, thats what Ford advertise it's good at and the engineering that went into it.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/669708/...raptor-review/

Then there's this;

“The Raptor is about the suspension, about the chassis and it’s about breaking the bank on the chassis, the suspension and the architecture. Literally, those four shocks costs as much as the whole engine.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...-engine-117193

WTF, so you blow a shock/s either intentionally jumping or accidently due to big bumps you didn't notice and you're on your own for a replacement/s and will need to do some major sucking up to your bank manager.

Knowing Ford you will have to be able to PROVE you weren't jumping so good luck with that even if it happened on a basic metro speedbump or a stretch of basic corrugations.

Sorry but now even if it did come with a Coyote that little gem if true would kill it for me. Ford's blurb is all about its suspension ability but they won't warranty the main components. Can you confirm if this is true or will it be good luck proving it for those that plan to use their "off road Raptor" off road.

Can you also advise us here what Fords RRP is for a complete shock.

Last edited by ozrunner; 11-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post