Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2018, 08:48 PM   #1261
articulatedsphinx

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
plus delivery
plus sales tax

and that's with no options. you don't even get a CD player! and you certainly don't get a towbar.

compare apples and apples why not?
As someone who has personally purchased an F-250 as well as a raptor in the US, I can guarantee you that for around 27-30k you can get a decent truck with a tow package. I think the thing is that the Ranger and the F150 are very similar in size, and it's going to be interesting to see how well they sell.

The dealer incentives are substantial. You can get quite a deal on them.

Australia gets ripped off for sure, but we already knew that.

Just searching ebay for new cars i see this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F-150-...JaMM65&vxp=mtr

And here is the raptor for 71k AUD fully delivered...

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 30-08-2018 at 09:13 PM.
articulatedsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2018, 09:17 PM   #1262
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

To be fair, the cheapest bare bones XL 4x4 dual cab F150 has a MSRP of $37755US. Starting MSRP excludes destination/delivery charge, taxes, title and registration.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2018, 10:11 PM   #1263
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Based on an exchange rate of PHP38 per 1AUD, the Wildtrak in Philippines (LHD) model is near AUD$43K driveaway.

That’s near $20k less than in Oz. There’s no reason why a F series would cost as much as touted unless either Ford Oz or the government shafts the Australian consumer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 30-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #1264
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post

Based on an exchange rate of PHP38 per 1AUD, the Wildtrak in Philippines (LHD) model is near AUD$43K driveaway.

That’s near $20k less than in Oz. There’s no reason why a F series would cost as much as touted unless either Ford Oz or the government shafts the Australian consumer.

And they can’t use the excuse anymore that local costs of business are higher, as they haven’t got any, what with no factories etc.

Pricing will be whatever the market will bear. 80k utes just like 1k iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #1265
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Drive.com.au's Birdsville to Bathurst road test....

https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...st-119298.html

And Video....

https://www.drive.com.au/video-cars/...nk=homeVideos1
Old 31-08-2018, 12:48 PM   #1266
articulatedsphinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Thanks! good find, the video is soooo good, feels like the first honest review outside of ford's course. Makes me very excited to get one.

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 31-08-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 31-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #1267
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Thank you.

That was enjoyable and the RR looked at home.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #1268
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Interesting, obviously does what its intended to do but as predicted the 2.0l needs to be pushed hard to achieve it.
They claim 14.1l average for the entire journey but the final 500km is all top gear highway cruising which would have brought the figures down considerably from what it would have shown rolling in to Cobar.

Driver ratings are interesting too, whilst it achieves an 8.5 out of 10 it gets 10/10 for connectivity and comfort at the expense of performance and safety, remove connectivity which is largely irrelevant in the desert and consider comfort as being down to the individuals outcome and its closer to a 7-7.5 out of 10 with safety its weakest link, not exactly confidence inspiring for a vehicle intended for blasting through the desert at break neck speeds.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #1269
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ram has taken aim at the new Ford Ranger Raptor during the launch of its new V8 ute.

Presenting the 5.7-litre Hemi V8-powered Ram 1500 to the media, Ram Trucks Australia spokesman Edward Rowe said the brand hopes to woo buyers away from high-end versions of popular dual-cab utes.

“We are the only people in this market sector offering a V8, in a market sector which used to be heavily populated with V8s, in a market segment now populated by small diesels,” he says.

“The way it goes, the way it sounds and just the whole driving experience … a V8 Hemi engine offers a somewhat more better driving experience than a 2.0-litre diesel.” https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/ra...or-119329.html
Old 31-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #1270
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love it when a Journo writes "more better"
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #1271
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I love it when a Journo writes "more better"
I’m surprised he’s not writing his article in shorthand sms spelling format too.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #1272
articulatedsphinx

Default 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Interesting, obviously does what its intended to do but as predicted the 2.0l needs to be pushed hard to achieve it.

They claim 14.1l average for the entire journey but the final 500km is all top gear highway cruising which would have brought the figures down considerably from what it would have shown rolling in to Cobar.

Driver ratings are interesting too, whilst it achieves an 8.5 out of 10 it gets 10/10 for connectivity and comfort at the expense of performance and safety, remove connectivity which is largely irrelevant in the desert and consider comfort as being down to the individuals outcome and its closer to a 7-7.5 out of 10 with safety its weakest link, not exactly confidence inspiring for a vehicle intended for blasting through the desert at break neck speeds.

You mean the AEB? I’m trying to figure out what you mean by safety being its weakest link? I don’t think AEB (even if it had it) would even be active in Baja or off-road mode. Other than that the safety is the same as the regular ranger.

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 31-08-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 31-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #1273
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx View Post
You mean the AEB? I’m trying to figure out what you mean by safety being its weakest link? I don’t think AEB (even if it had it) would even be active in Baja or off-road mode. Other than that the safety is the same as the regular ranger.

At the bottom of the article is the Drive Ratings, it lists safety as only receiving 6 out of 10, the lowest scoring segment by far.
It doesnt say what that is based on.

Oh and i meant to say 9/10 for connectivity and comfort, not 10/10 which relates to handling which it obviously does achieve.

Last edited by BENT_8; 31-08-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 31-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #1274
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus

You do realise the specification levels between countries is quite different don't you. Ours are fully loaded, cheaper asian markets aren't. Not comparing apples with apples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by articulatedsphinx

AEB is due for Raptor next year as a running change. Something to do with the different front bumper and the location of the sensors that was triggering incorrect AEB activations, and there was not enough time to get it right for release. According to Wheels magazine anyway. Don't know how the lack of AEB results in only a 6/10 though. It has everything else.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #1275
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://m.drive.com.au/new-car-revie...st-119298.html
Old 31-08-2018, 06:38 PM   #1276
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Must be an echo in here

Post1265
Old 31-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #1277
jgmdat

Quote:

Not exactly a "glass half full guy are you"

You do know you are not obligated to buy one.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2018, 07:02 PM   #1278
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Ram has taken aim at the new Ford Ranger Raptor during the launch of its new V8 ute.

Presenting the 5.7-litre Hemi V8-powered Ram 1500 to the media, Ram Trucks Australia spokesman Edward Rowe said the brand hopes to woo buyers away from high-end versions of popular dual-cab utes.

“We are the only people in this market sector offering a V8, in a market sector which used to be heavily populated with V8s, in a market segment now populated by small diesels,” he says.

“The way it goes, the way it sounds and just the whole driving experience … a V8 Hemi engine offers a somewhat more better driving experience than a 2.0-litre diesel.” https://m.drive.com.au/motor-news/ra...or-119329.html
Totally different trucks. As much as i like the RAM, off road i doubt it would follow the Raptor for long without busting something.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #1279
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Totally different trucks. As much as i like the RAM, off road i doubt it would follow the Raptor for long without busting something.
And the $79,950 version (plus ORC) is quite the poverty pack, the upspec wildtrak equivalent? Is 100k plus.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/656777/...pricing-specs/
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #1280
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
And the $79,950 version (plus ORC) is quite the poverty pack, the upspec wildtrak equivalent? Is 100k plus.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/656777/...pricing-specs/
Have I read that right?.... Is the Express essentially a super cab with the Laramie the only option if you want a true dual cab? That is disappointing if thats the case.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #1281
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Not exactly a "glass half full guy are you"

You do know you are not obligated to buy one.
Lol, i never said i would or wouldnt buy one, i have no use for one so i couldnt see any reason why i would but none of that is relevant because my post was simply summing up what most reviews have returned, that the vehicle is very capable of doing what its intended for, however, the fuel consumption when put through its paces is not on par with what they are quoting at head office.
Theres not much point in claiming 8l/100km for a vehicle designed to be driven spiritedly off road if under those conditions it returns double if not more than that.
It would be like claiming a V8 Supercar would have fantastic milage if only driven to the shops for bread and milk.

That doesnt mean its not a great vehicle or that its a reason someone should refrain from buying it, however, if youre considering heading outback and using it for its intended purpose, considering its consumption would be an important factor when planning a trip into isolated country if youre only getting 400ish km from a tank.

As for the rating given to it, things like connectivity are hardly worthy of consideration for a vehicle of its intended purpose and have clearly inflated its overall score.
Comfort is subjective
The standout in that score is the safety aspect which as i said would be concerning given its intended purpose and as Boss said, running updates will be made to increase its standings in that department, the question left to be asked is, if those running upgrades are in the pipeline and therefore obviously a reality, why didnt they delay its release and get it right, as the way i see it, unless you just want to be the first to say you have one, you'd be better off waiting for the upgrade and getting a better specced one.
Come resale time a Raptor with AEB will be worth more than an early one without it.

Lets be honest here, the majority of these Raptors will spend alot of time in suburbia and so AEB whilst not necessarliy an issue in the middle of the Simpson, will be, as on most other urban tractors, an important part of the total safety package or it wouldnt be an emerging mainstream feature or an intended feature for this vehicle moving forward.

Its a great vehicle, but as with many Ford products theres usually a trade off somewhere unfortunately.
Im actually surprised they're not all black...
Old 01-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #1282
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Theres not much point in claiming 8l/100km for a vehicle designed to be driven spiritedly off road if under those conditions it returns double if not more than that.
I may out of line here but when you see the video, and old mate is doing circle work, at high RPM for minutes on end...….. I think 14L/100km is quite reasonable.
They should have eliminated this from the consumption figures.
I'm sure a petrol version of this vehicle, driven the same way would well over 20L/100km.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #1283
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
They should have eliminated this from the consumption figures.
But thats the point, they were testing it under the conditions it was designed for, its designed to be fanged around in the dust and the 2.0l obviously needs to be pushed to achieve it.
Where they fudged the figures was giving it a 500km cool down run at highway speeds in 10th gear to bring the final figures way down on where it would have been.

Ford have created a vehicle capable of copping some serious punishment in the outback and then quoted fuel consumption figures for an urban tractor then when tested in real world conditions they didnt give a figure after it was put through its paces, they waited 500kms to make it more respectable.

They did draw on nostalgia to make it all sound legit though.

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-09-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #1284
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Ford have created a vehicle capable of copping some serious punishment in the outback and then quoted fuel consumption figures for an urban tractor then when tested in real world conditions they didnt give a figure after it was put through its paces, they waited 500kms to make it more respectable.
I doubt that many manufacturers quoted figures are possible in the 'real world' ?
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #1285
articulatedsphinx

I think finding things to complain about are just in some people's nature. First it was the engine, and now that it's not utter ****, it's AEB. When it has AEB there will be some other supposed deal breaker. So waxing poetic about the lack of AEB is quite funny when none of the other utes except the x-class have it.

Let me summarise for you below, we've already discussed the engines, and the only bigger/more powerful ones are the V6 Amarok and soon to be released 85k X-class neither of which can do offroad like the raptor:

Utes with AEB available in Australia (as of August 2018):

Mercedes-Benz X-Class – Standard across range
Ford Ranger – Not available
Toyota HiLux – Not available
Nissan Navara – Not available
Mitsubishi Triton – Not available
Holden Colorado – Not available
Isuzu D-MAX – Not available
Mazda BT-50 – Not available
Volkswagen Amarok – Not available
LDV T60 – Not available
Great Wall Steed – Not available

And now about the fuel economy:

Here is the Ford official description
"Fuel consumption and emissions as per ADR 81/02 (combined cycle) and to be used for vehicle comparison purposes only. It is unlikely that these fuel consumption and emissions figures will be achieved in real world driving conditions. Actual fuel consumption and emissions will depend on many factors including the driver’s habits, prevailing conditions and the vehicle’s equipment, condition and use"

You HAVE to test according to ADR 81/02 rules and that's the figure you publish. So chill out. It's not like they are making something up and lying. Please tell me you don't believe the Hilux claims at face value either. They are all testing on the same standard.

Here's a good link if you're curious. https://www.caradvice.com.au/385014/...he-fuel-label/

I agree with you there are features and things to improve on. But complaining about the fuel economy, when it's measured that way for a reason, and the safety features which don't exist on literally any other Ute is kind of a stretch.

Last edited by articulatedsphinx; 01-09-2018 at 10:30 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #1286
prydey
Rob

Fuel consumption figures are achieved using a set procedure. (ADR 81/02). This way the results can be compared across a range of cars as they are all tested using the same procedure. They are mainly for comparitive purposes only.

Edit- just realised articulatedsphinx covered fuel consumption in his post above.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #1287
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I think finding things to complain about are just in some people's nature. First it was the engine, and now that it's not utter ****, it's AEB. When it has AEB there will be some other supposed deal breaker. So waxing poetic about the lack of AEB is quite funny when none of the other utes except the x-class have it.

Let me summarise for you below, we've already discussed the engines, and the only bigger/more powerful ones are the V6 Amarok and soon to be released 85k X-class neither of which can do offroad like the raptor:

Utes with AEB available in Australia (as of August 2018):

Mercedes-Benz X-Class – Standard across range
Ford Ranger – Not available
Toyota HiLux – Not available
Nissan Navara – Not available
Mitsubishi Triton – Not available
Holden Colorado – Not available
Isuzu D-MAX – Not available
Mazda BT-50 – Not available
Volkswagen Amarok – Not available
LDV T60 – Not available
Great Wall Steed – Not available
With all due respects though articulatedsphinx, apart from the $85k x-class, which is a premium product compared to the rest, none of those, apart from raptor, are $80k utes.

Quote:
And now about the fuel economy:

Here is the Ford official description
"Fuel consumption and emissions as per ADR 81/02 (combined cycle) and to be used for vehicle comparison purposes only. It is unlikely that these fuel consumption and emissions figures will be achieved in real world driving conditions. Actual fuel consumption and emissions will depend on many factors including the driver’s habits, prevailing conditions and the vehicle’s equipment, condition and use"

You HAVE to test according to ADR 81/02 rules and that's the figure you publish. So chill out. It's not like they are making something up and lying. Please tell me you don't believe the Hilux claims at face value either. They are all testing on the same standard.

Here's a good link if you're curious. https://www.caradvice.com.au/385014/...he-fuel-label/
Totally agreed, no one believes the figures manufacturers give for fuel consumption, but were not talking a litre or so here, were talking 40% more when used as intended.
I guess my point wasnt so much aimed at Fords official figures but more at the reviews results because they could have given a more accurate result had they stopped the test in Cobar when they ceased driving it in a manner that it is intended for.
If they wanted to test a 2.0l on the highway then any Wildtrack with that option would do, but they didnt, they took a Raptor out into the desert, put it through its paces and then gave it 500km of sedate driving, sedate compared to the first 1600km anyway, in which to bring the figures down and from my perspective that makes a mockery of those findings, im not sure why they bothered to even mention consumption figures if they were going to compromise it in this way.

Does any of that mean its not a great vehicle, hell no.

Anyway, thats just a couple of points which i noted from the video, if youre suggesting that the final 500km wouldnt have reduced the consumption figures im happy for you to show me that.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #1288
prydey
Rob

To be fair, not many people have 'off road' just outside their front gate, so there will always be a portion of 'normal' driving, regardless of how much off road you do.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #1289
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
To be fair, not many people have 'off road' just outside their front gate, so there will always be a portion of 'normal' driving, regardless of how much off road you do.
Fair point Rob, then why not start the test in Bathurst and drive it out there rather than commence it at the foot of big red if factoring in the drive too and from was the intention of the exercise, its what they didnt do before, but did do after putting Raptor through its paces that stands out.
The run from Cobar to Bathurst adds nothing to the review other than distort the final consumption figures.
We know what a Ranger with 2.0l/10A is capable of on the black top.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #1290
articulatedsphinx

I know fuel consumption is important to some. Does it sound too snooty to say I don't particularly care? even 14L/100 wouldn't phase me. My big thing is making sure the fuel tank is big enough. I just don't want to be stuck somewhere while outback.

I've ordered myself one of these bad boys (200L rapid genius tank), for when I do CSR. I hate jerry cans. The portable tank is actually quite compact, looks way bigger in the picture.

Since diesel weighs 0.8kg/L + the tank (36kg) will weigh about 196kg give or take.

This user likes this post: