Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trolley jacks

So the other week i bought a Toolpro low profile trolley jack 3000kg.

Wondering if anyone has one of these and can tell me something about ‘purging the air out of them and when to know the valve is completly closed.

I have followed the instructions about keeping the jack low and pumping handle a few times and same when fully raised.

Under a cover plate seems to be a large alan key screw, anyone know what size this is ? Is larger than any key i have.

From what i have read this needs to be unscrewed a little to get any remaining air out.

The other issue i have is when the handle is inserted in the jack (handle kept flat) to close the valve to raise it, the handle just keeps turning but every few turns you can feel a ‘notch’ (would be best way to describe it) its then you can raise the jack.

Is this normal or is there a point when the handle should come to a stop so know when valve is completly closed?

Thanks in advance.
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
79F100

Default Re: Trolley jacks

The other issue i have is when the handle is inserted in the jack (handle kept flat) to close the valve to raise it, the handle just keeps turning but every few turns you can feel a ‘notch’ (would be best way to describe it) its then you can raise the jack.

Is this normal or is there a point when the handle should come to a stop so know when valve is completely closed?

You may not have fitted the handle correctly. It bolts in place, yours sounds like it's sitting on top of the bolt. I drag mine around by the handle. When fitted right it's twist clockwise to close.

To purge, open valve (twist anti-clockwise) and pump the handle through a few full stokes at a moderate pace. Then close the valve and raise lower a few times then repeat the first step and your done.
79F100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

On all the trolley jacks I have, including my low profile racing one, when you insert and turn the handle to close the valve to raise the jack, it just tightens till you can turn no more.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a sale currently on trolley jacks at SCA.
I usually drive my car up on planks of wood and work under it.
Using the car's jack is slow and annoying so looking for a trolley jack.
I already have jack stands which I will be using together with the jack.

I've noticed some reviews say they couldn't lower the car slowly. Is this user error? I would like to be able to lower the car slowly obviously.
What would people recommend?

Thanks

(didn't want to start another thread)
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
79F100

I go with user error/inexperience/lack of practice and probably screwing the handle to tight so they can't gently release the jack
79F100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The trick with cheaper jacks & their touchy release mechanisms is to grip it tightly & turn very slowly so if it starts to race, its a slight turn the opposite way to stop it. Always use two jacks or a spare tyre under the rail if your ever under the car. These cheap jacks have limited use, don't ask to much of them.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It's stuffed but it has has a 12 months warranty so take it back for a replacement or refund. It's important to do this for as well as your own safety considerations, over the years many of various brands of trolley jacks have been recalled due to faults like this popping up. It appears to be a recurring issue with cheap trolley jacks. See https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sit...Trolley%20Jack . I personally have had 3 of the ones I have purchased over the last 25 years or so recalled; and not just for labeling issues; but faults that could cause them to fail. A nuisance as in most case mine appeared to be working fine; and they weren't the cheapest ones.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-06-2018 at 10:40 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is the SCA job that is regularly on sale for $100. It is ok if your experienced but will drop the car fast if your not careful. I use mine in place of the factory scissor jack & a 2nd jack when needed.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...UaAoXFEALw_wcB
There are so many cheap t-jacks around that will do the job, but if your going to be under the car, don't risk it for a few dollars. I bought one of these, very happy with it.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/J021
Old 12-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #9
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Spend at least $250-300 on a decent trolley jack to keep in the shed,not a piddly little one for the car boot and it should last for a very long time,mine is a liftech I think and ive had it about 10 years with no issues.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #10
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont buy this cheap crap stuff..
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulXR50 View Post
So the other week i bought a Toolpro low profile trolley jack 3000kg.

Wondering if anyone has one of these and can tell me something about ‘purging the air out of them and when to know the valve is completly closed.

I have followed the instructions about keeping the jack low and pumping handle a few times and same when fully raised.

Under a cover plate seems to be a large alan key screw, anyone know what size this is ? Is larger than any key i have.

From what i have read this needs to be unscrewed a little to get any remaining air out.

Is this normal or is there a point when the handle should come to a stop so know when valve is completly closed?

Thanks in advance.
How did you go with this?.... bought one yesterday as theyre on sale for $219.... $135 off atm @ stupid cheap...… did you have the handle popped in far enough??
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #12
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Just on a side note... when you are buying a trolley jack, make sure the handle pushes down to parallel with the ground/floor. Not all of them do... and there's not much point having a trolley jack with a body low enough to get under your car (to get to the front cross member or diff), if the handle hits the bumper first !

When buying something like this, I usually ask to test it first. If they're not prepared to show me that it works as it should... then I'm not prepared to buy it from them !

And my advice is to always use jack stands when working under the car. Don't rely on the jack alone !

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #13
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Just on a side note... when you are buying a trolley jack, make sure the handle pushes down to parallel with the ground/floor. Not all of them do... and there's not much point having a trolley jack with a body low enough to get under your car (to get to the front cross member or diff), if the handle hits the bumper first !

When buying something like this, I usually ask to test it first. If they're not prepared to show me that it works as it should... then I'm not prepared to buy it from them !

And my advice is to always use jack stands when working under the car. Don't rely on the jack alone !

D
Yep good point....tested it 1st. Just bled the brakes on the Territory & am quite pleased with it.... tested it on the diff of my full size American car too & is easily long enough to get right over the handle & use 2 hands, which I couldn't with my old smaller 1..... nice feel to it when letting it down as well. yep only an idiot wouldn't use stands!
Old 24-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
Pilko FNQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Dont buy this cheap crap stuff..
Reminds me of that saying; "poor man buys twice".......Some things are worth spending a little extra on especially when it involves personal safety.
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #15
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I use these , have 2.

https://spiceup.com.au/1-5-ton-arcan...ck-1500kg.html

This looks good.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...nuFrom=1021467

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
That Supercheap one is what I bought.
Old 24-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a decent 3t steel trolley jack a while back. Honestly whenever/if it eventually dies I would spend the extra to get an alloy one.
Would weigh ~50kg which is fine if you can slide it everywhere, however if you have to carry it places they're heavy and awkward thing to move.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 07:36 PM   #18
PaulXR50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got the Toolpro one from SCA, weighs about 45kg. Heavey sob..

I used it today on the XR8, an issue i have is it only fits under the car where the lift plate only sits about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way under the rail.

I am placing the jack under the rail inline with the jackng points. I can lift the car enough to get a stand under it then move the jack further under.

Question i have, whats peoples opinion of using a block of wood (or steel /rubber) and placing it on the lift plate and place at the jack points rather than try getting the jack all the way under the rails ?

Where are others jacking up their cars when they cant get the jack lift plate allt the way under the rails?
PaulXR50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #19
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Drive onto a 50mm piece of wood before jacking.

This is 2 pieces so 100mm. Only half that is really needed.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A

Last edited by arronm; 24-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #20
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There’s the 1.6t ToolPro one and 2t ToolPro one.
For basic lifts for oil changes together with jack stands I should be fine with the 1.6t one right? The 2t one is double the price, but also almost 50kg.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #21
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The 3,000kg ToolPro low profile one is currently on special at SCA till 1st July...

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #22
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The 3,000kg ToolPro low profile one is currently on special at SCA till 1st July...

Yes, I was looking at that today. Anyone thinking of buying?
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2018, 06:23 PM   #23
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I got one last time it was on sale.
Top Jack, wouldn't use anything else.
Old 25-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #24
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I bought one of these recently...

https://www.wholesalesuperstore.com....er-low-profile
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #25
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Its probably the exact same thing-built in same factory, just painted different colour.
Old 26-06-2018, 10:55 AM   #26
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Been holding off purchasing for way too long.
This thread is well timed after struggling with the standard jack on the weekend.
My concern has always been how low is low-profile but that little tip about running the car up on some timber has me sorted. Why haven't I thought of that before , I'm always using a dodgy wood ramp sitting half way up my proper car-ramps to avoid scrapping the front spoilers.

So, yep.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #27
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are worth a look. I got the dual pump model after buying one from SCA which is a good 2nd jack & a good replacement for the dodgy factory scissor jack. They have a good range of quality automotive gear which I believe is a better quality than what the main suppliers sell & well priced.
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/J022
Old 26-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I bought this guy @ 3 years ago now
Excellent quality and lightweight (25kg)
Fast pump dual piston and low profile.
Padded handle , excellent decompression control with none of that....” oh f@&$k that went down too fast “ business....

Costs more but i dont mind lifting the GT when required with quality tools.

https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/ba...xoCGgYQAvD_BwE

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #29
XC_Lizzard

Quote:
I've had one of these since January, and they are great. low profile, higher lift than most, smooth lowering, just so long as you don't have to pick it up and carry it.

I'll get an alloy one for taking to the track, but this will be the primary lifter in the shed.
XC_Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #30
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I bought this guy @ 3 years ago now
Excellent quality and lightweight (25kg)
Fast pump dual piston and low profile.
Padded handle , excellent decompression control with none of that....” oh f@&$k that went down too fast “ business....

Costs more but i dont mind lifting the GT when required with quality tools.

https://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/ba...xoCGgYQAvD_BwE
We were discussing the Bahco 3 years ago back here:
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...8&#post5355688

Also very happy with mine - another great feature is it has a solid rubber pad, which doesn't bite into the chassis rails.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post