Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #61
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: 2018 Ford Mustang - Acceleration Test by Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
What I hate about these safety crash tests, is the car always hits a solid non-movable object.

It's like driving your car into a concrete wall!

Now honestly, how often is that likely to happen?
When was the last time you drove your car into a brick wall at speed?

Sure, you can run off the road and hit a big oak tree I guess.

But most serious car crashes are likely going to be involving hitting another vehicle that is going to take some of the impact energy and crumple itself, lessening the impact damage to your own car.

Safety crash tests only show you the worst case scenario.
the idea of the test is for a offset 40 mph crash with another car..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #62
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

i suppose you can't have acceleration without deceleration.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 05:52 AM   #63
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
That’s the thing, they’re shifting the goal posts and not changing the max star rating
People are terribly confused because they are trying to compare then and now
Some are confused, those that don't lose sleep over ANCAP 5 stars couldn't care less.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #64
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
My reading is fine ,thanks for your concern. Just gets a bit boring all the anti Mustang tripe on a Ford forum that is all.
That's the internet i suppose.
So without attacking you!
My intent of putting the video up was to show the S_itStirrers, the same people you have issues with!! that both Camaro and Mustang, from that series of standard tests, scored the same star values.

So these people suggesting of waiting for the Camaro and paying upwards/over 90K for that car, has the same rating as the Ford Product!

Personally, i'd have the Mustang any day of the week
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #65
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Not the 2018 model but last year at our local car show I spent some time talking to an owner of one of the 10 or so new Mustangs in attendance . Real nice bloke . His was the 5.0 GT (competition Orange ) I think was the colour but so impressed was his wife he ended up buying an Ecoboost too . He was telling me about a few much loved Falcons he's owned and still had a couple of GT's.

The thing that genuinely surprised him with the Eco Mustang though that it felt about as quick to 120 kmh as the 5.0. Wasn't til after that he felt the V8 was quicker but the eco was better to drive around Hobart's narrow streets than the GT. Here's a photo of his GT Mustang

car show 2017-4 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr

Last edited by roddy1960; 17-06-2018 at 09:01 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #66
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ it may have felt it, but it’s a whole second slower 0-100, let alone 120 and beyond.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 12:40 PM   #67
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
^^^ it may have felt it, but it’s a whole second slower 0-100, let alone 120 and beyond.
Yes , it is actually slower but the bloke owning both at the same time told me that it didn't feel that much slower .
After 120 he said he really noticed the difference though . Also recall him telling me that the Eco was easier to drive in the narrow hilly streets around Hobart compared to the heavier GT .. I can only respect his opinions as he's the one owning them both at the same time , not me .

Only two new shape Mustangs at this years Car Show last weekend other than some classics but there was ten last year . His Eco didn't make it in 2017 because his wife damaged a wheel that week and it's a 250 km trip from Hobart to here with no spare otherwise they would have brought both up .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #68
radler

Hey Roddy

Interesting post and I will stick with going off topic ...lol ... at work I was in conversation with 2 people who have 2017 mustang. One eco auto and the other v8 with manual 6 speed

The eco seems to be a great every day driver,

the v8 person was describing the v8 is heavy going off the mark And they both agreed the eco in auto is quicker off the line and possibly will be even a bit quicker in the 2018 auto, and the v8 once off the line basically reels most cars in ...

They both seem really happy with their choices,

If I could raise the cash I would go for a mustang but to be honest I am not sure which one ..

A local dealer has a run out white v8 manual at a decent price with silver wheels, to me it looks awesome ... , and watching car sales their seems to be some deals on the twin turbos as well ... and every time I see a mustang I find myself looking at it ... lol... some great colours out there too ... 2018 model will be interesting ...

Ross : n/a fgx xr6 - manual
radler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #69
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by radler View Post
Hey Roddy

Interesting post and I will stick with going off topic ...lol ... at work I was in conversation with 2 people who have 2017 mustang. One eco auto and the other v8 with manual 6 speed

The eco seems to be a great everyday driver,

the v8 person was describing the v8 is heavy going off the mark And they both agreed the eco in auto is quicker off the line and possibly will be even a bit quicker in the 2018 auto, and the v8 once off the line basically reels most cars in ...

They both seem really happy with their choices,

If I could raise the cash I would go for a mustang but to be honest I am not sure which one ..

A local dealer has a run out white v8 manual at a decent price with silver wheels, to me it looks awesome ... , and watching car sales their seems to be some deals on the twin turbos as well ... and every time I see a mustang I find myself looking at it ... lol... some great colours out there too ... 2018 model will be interesting ...
As you know I own an Ecoboost Mustang, but I have also driven a mate's GT Mustang.

No question the V8 GT is awesome and a true American muscle car and once it gets going is hard to beat, plus nothing can replace that V8 sound, that's a given.

However, it's the same feeling as driving an XR6T versus XR8... The i6 feels much lighter and handles better around corners, while the XR8 always reminds you of that extra weight up front.

So imagine now, what it would be like driving an Ecoboost FG Falcon... So much nimbler and lighter again in the front than both the 6 and 8.
The few smart owners who bought the eco Falcons will all tell you how well they handle, especially for a large family sedan.

That is why some of the best handling sports cars have the engine in the back like a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari with a mid-mount engine behind the driver... So light in the front end.

Also, I noticed that the Ecoboost Mustang takes off the line much quicker, and travelling at legal road speeds, while the V8 is nice, you can't really stretch its muscles legally and keep your licence.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: