Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default SA focus - cruise control on downhill

Hi, all.
My daughter recently bought a 2020 focus with driver assist pack.
When using cruise control she notices the car over runs the set speed on downhills.

We also have a 2021 escape. Cruise control in this car holds speed everywhere. It's really good. Even on steep gradients it holds speed changing down gears if required.

The escape is a slightly bigger and heavier car so not sure why the focus doesn't operate the same. Is there a software update to fix it or is it normal.

The focus has the 1.5 compared to 2.0 in the escape.

Can anyone offer any feedback on this. Focus has warranty until 2026.
Old 17-08-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SA focus - cruise control on downhill

if the escape had the optional adaptive cruise control it uses the rear brakes to maintain desired speed in downhill run. Without this connection to the braking system the cruise can only use engine braking to slow
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Cruise control on some cars doesnt tie into the transmission. So my 08 fairmont will back down gears to try and maintain set speed. My mums old 01 ml320 benz did the same. My old mans 02 jag didnt. So cruise maintained speed on the flat or going up hill, but on a decline it coasted. Nothing wrong with the cruise in the jag, it was just how it was in older cars even though it should have been better in the jag.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2022, 04:59 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
if the escape had the optional adaptive cruise control it uses the rear brakes to maintain desired speed in downhill run. Without this connection to the braking system the cruise can only use engine braking to slow
Both cars have adaptive cruise. Standard on Escape and part of the driver assist pack on the focus. Both change down gears as required in downhills. The focus tends to overrun the set speed by over 10kmh sometimes before it takes any action.

I just find it weird that they are essentially the same car (albeit different engine) but behave slightly different.

Is not a big deal. Just thought I'd see if there were any other new focus owners that could provide feedback.
Old 18-08-2022, 09:59 AM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine only overruns by a couple of kph down a decent slope. I will have to try it down a really steep slope to confirm for you how it behaves then.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Mine only overruns by a couple of kph down a decent slope. I will have to try it down a really steep slope to confirm for you how it behaves then.
No, that's good to know. This car was going over on a max 6% gradient in a 80 zone. Another time was an even gentler gradient, still 80.

Let me know regarding steeper gradients but don't go out of your way to check. Thanks.
Old 18-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #7
martyal44
2010 G6E

I'll give mine a go and report back...
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2022, 09:22 AM   #8
martyal44
2010 G6E

Can't give a definitive answer yet, mine works really well on one test then not at all the next.
Will keep trying it out.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2022, 12:27 PM   #9
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure mine overruns a bit on cruise and I have the Driver Assistance Pack?

My old Focus (MK3) with just cruise behaved in exactly the same way.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2022, 09:02 AM   #10
DeKa

My SA Focus with Driver Assistance Pack overruns on downhill slopes by exactly 10km/h before it tries to lower the speed.

Next time the car is at the dealer, I plan to ask if they can apply the firmware updates being discussed on Whirlpool to see if it improves it.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2022, 12:53 AM   #11
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I managed to find a steep enough slope to test any system (Greenmount Hill in Perth, for anyone who knows it), but unfortunately I was stuck in a queue of cars. The adaptive cruise was having no problem restraining the car to maintain the gap, but I'm not sure how it would have performed without cars in front of me.

I did see a 4kph creep on a few steep-ish slopes where I was flying solo.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post