Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
peterban
AULTD

Default Sat Nav

Here are a few pictures of the sat nav screen in an AU11 LTD
I have measured the screen and the measurements of the screen within the black surround are 12.5cm X 7cm

If you include the black surround there is an additional 3cm on top, 2cm on the bottom and 3cm either side.

I thought the black surround might come off so I could measure the actual screen size but it looks as though the radio has to come out etc.

Have pulled it apart and the screen measures
16.5cm X 9.5cm
There is a little extra space either side and so best approximation is 17.5cm X 10 cm maximum

The only info that comes with it states that the screen is 16:9 colour

Attached Images
File Type: jpg satnav1_edited-2.jpg (142.9 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg satnav5_edited-2.jpg (122.9 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg satnav3_edited-2.jpg (112.8 KB, 141 views)
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

replace it with a DVD/TV screen.
Old 20-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
jones_aus

how do you control the satnav?

is it touch screen or do you get a remote?

cheers
jones_aus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 04:19 PM   #4
peterban
AULTD

There is a small remote
Old 22-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #5
Funtime25

what bersion of Sensiss are u using for the map software??
Funtime25 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Thanks! I was looking at getting the satnav surround so that i could put a small touchscreen in there for a carputer. I didnt bother because i walked past an LTD and thought it was only a very small square screen (becuase there are black bars on the sides of the picture there).

Now that i can see it has a larger screen there, i will go a bit further. Does anyone know the part number for that surround and if it is still available?

Cheers,
Michael

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
janek
Ripping it up

not available, extremely hard to get and big $$$

And you lose your cig lighter/ash tray

i tried getting one a few years back
:(

BUT if you manage to find one, let me know!!
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #8
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
not available, extremely hard to get and big $$$

And you lose your cig lighter/ash tray

i tried getting one a few years back
:(

BUT if you manage to find one, let me know!!
Damn, i will have a look around anyway.

I dont mind losing the ashtray and lighter, because i would rather spoon my eyes out than smoke in my car

Will Do!

-Michael

Old 22-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #9
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

There is one on eBay in Fairlane woodgrain trim and I got Peter to help me look into it. The viewable screen area is a little smaller than standard screens out there (it is 5.4" diagonally) but I've confirmed that the black upper section can be removed so you can put your own larger screen in there to fill it up, perhaps.

But what stopped me is that you need the surround bezel that holds the whole thing in place. Thanks to Russ for the info, that piece is:

AU2 10E948 A1D $154.96 BEZEL DISPLAY MON, VIRTUAL CAMPHOR, GHIA/FAIRLANE1 AU2 10E948 A1 $167.44 BEZEL DISPLAY MON, COTTON WALNUT, LTD

Good luck and let us know what it turns out if you go ahead with it.

The part on eBay is $59 just got the woodgrain LTD insert.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Just to clarify, the part on eBay is $59 and I haven't "got" it. It is to be picked up from Brunswick, Melbourne or posted.

The bezel you need holds the woodgrain section and holds the air vents above it, etc. So you need that, too.

The screen area is 5.4" diagonally with the black part in place.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 22-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #11
janek
Ripping it up

so you need the 300 bucks worth of stuff to do it?
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 03:08 PM   #12
Dauphin
Irregular member

No, you need the $59 eBay part plus one of the above Ford listed parts. They are two different trims I think.

eBay item:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=180052612673

Old 22-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Im tossing up doing this or just getting a standard facia and bondo-ing it up and then making new holes, one for the screen (double din hole) and a single dine hole below it for the headunit i am running. That is what i was going to do prior to seeing this thread (as per my sig).

Im still undecided if that big slab of woodgrain in the dash may seem a bit over the top.

Old 22-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Yeah, I am not sure about the big slab of woodgrain either. Was going to think about repainting it black or silver somehow but after seeing it on wider photos in a Fairmont at aufalcon.com, it doesn't look too bad, but I'm still not sure.

Old 22-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

delete... (didnt read the thread)
Old 22-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #16
peterban
AULTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtime25
what bersion of Sensiss are u using for the map software??
Only version 10

I would be interested in an upgrade.

A mate has a new Tom tom with a harddrive. I was wondering whether you could make up a new disk for the sat nav in the LTD which upgraded the maps to the latest ones.
Old 22-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
Funtime25

I have version 10 also. Was getting version 12 from a guy on e-bay but he shafted me.too my $300 and never delivered the goods.
Funtime25 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
myaultd
Starter Motor

Default Re: Sat Nav

hi i have this model ltd too, i cant understand why the sat nav screen has the black bars on either side..... ive seen other au ltd's where the map takes up the whole screen, is there a reason for this?
myaultd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaultd View Post
hi i have this model ltd too, i cant understand why the sat nav screen has the black bars on either side..... ive seen other au ltd's where the map takes up the whole screen, is there a reason for this?
Nice threadmine!

My guess would be the version of Maps that you are running. I have the Sept 2009 version 16 in mine and it is fine - definitely 16 x 9.

Nice to see an other au II LTD on here. Sending PM.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
myaultd
Starter Motor

hi, thanks for that, im fairly certain i still have the original 2001 disk, but yes there certainly a nice machine, mine is silver like yours but totally stock with the 5.0L and with those wonderful original 16' chrome rims lol.....what were they thinking??!!, so im on the hunt for a nice set of 18s at the moment.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #21
myaultd
Starter Motor

well thats strange i finally managed to load an updated disk in the cd module and i got the updated maps, but you guessed it, still got the 4:3 screen... there doesnt seem to be any settings to change it to 16:9...its really strange. if anyone can shed some light on why this happens i would greatly appreciate it...
Old 27-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #22
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

this thread is almost 7 years old, good one stu

cheers dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV597 View Post
this thread is almost 7 years old, good one stu

cheers dean
Yeah thanks Dean. You might wish to recheck who did the threadmine - It was not me. I called the threadmine!

Are you jealous that you do not have the SatNav as a standard?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

2 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lol
uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Yeah thanks Dean. You might wish to recheck who did the threadmine - It was not me. I called the threadmine!
i don't read things very well sometimes
Are you jealous that you do not have the SatNav as a standard?
no not at all as i got one heaps better pioneer avic-hd3
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
myaultd
Starter Motor

i found out some info on why some au ltd sat nav screens show only a 4:3 aspect instead of 16:9, apparently in some cases when the battery is disconnected the display screen reverts back to 4:3, i read if you press the menu button on top of the screen (not the remote) 3 times then press the "+" button twice to the right of the menu button it will change it back to 16:9. I havnt tried it yet to confirm this, will have to remove all the trimmings to get to it. Will be interesting to see if it works....
Old 30-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Cool. Let us know how you go.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #28
myaultd
Starter Motor

A simple fix for all those with au sat nav with display showing 4:3 instead of 16:9 (I know there are many of you) Remove the woodgrain trim around the unit, its just clips out, with the sat nav powered on, take a bread knife and insert it at the top of the unit towards left of center and push down, this is the menu button, keep pressing until you get screen option, then move the knife to the center right and push down, this is the select button, this will give you the choice of normal screen or widescreen and presto its all done, for some reason the menu button on the unit itself has different funtions to the unit button on the remote control. How frustrating is that...These vdo units sometimes play up when the battery is disconnected for lengthy periods of time.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
myaultd
Starter Motor

is this as good as it gets with these units graphics wise?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #30
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myaultd View Post
is this as good as it gets with these units graphics wise?
They are 12 years old. I am not sure what you where expecting? They still do the job more than adequately - even without all of the flash fangdangle graphics.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250