Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Another 2 young'ns killed

60km/h speed limit, vehicle said to be doing double that at moment of impact, wet road with sweeping bend, fully loaded Commo Wagon, 12 midnight, 2 Dead, 3 critical. Glad to see the Werribee incident barely 4 days ago served as a lesson to these other young highly skilled professional drivers

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
Old 30-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Another 2 young'ns killed

ANOTHER group of grieving parents and friends. :(
Old 30-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

At midnight it very easy to get carried away as there is bugger all traffic and the lights are usually green (least theyre green for me..) Sure, pick a faster line across a roadway but trying to impress ya mates by trying to break the road speed record anywhere other than a controlled environment is somthing for the Darwin Awards...especially in the wet...

Looks like those 3 were lucky to get out alive..

Subaru Outback '02
Old 30-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Navy boys. I think I recall another Navy incident in 2007 killing 3 in an XR6 hire car over near Portarlington when they missed a bend a drove into the bay and drowned.

And yes, as said above, the deceased can be dismissed as idiots which they indeed were, or at least the driver was.. but it's the families left to go on after the tragedy that I feel for.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
Old 30-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ironically, they have a smashed up VP Wagon permanently fixed near the naval base down there to remind those boys to take it easy. The navy seriously needs to do something about it's alcohol culture - although the same could be said about Australia in general.
Old 30-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Ironically, they have a smashed up VP Wagon permanently fixed near the naval base down there to remind those boys to take it easy. The navy seriously needs to do something about it's alcohol culture - although the same could be said about Australia in general.
Alcohol has yet to be confirmed as a contributor... watch this space I guess. But this is not 60km/h worth of damage so clearly speed was a factor

Old 30-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
Alcohol has yet to be confirmed as a contributor... watch this space I guess. But this is not 60km/h worth of damage so clearly speed was a factor
Inapropriate speed was a factor
Old 30-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Inapropriate speed was a factor
I left out a word but that's what I meant..

Old 30-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do people not understand that when your mates hop in your car you are responsible for their lives. Look at the ***** tyres on that car, they are only "tyres" and nothing more, cheap crap to get your car through rego.
If the driver was killed, he got the easy way out...
Old 30-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't deny the fact it was a commodore. 2 in 1 week. I know they are popular, but still......
Old 30-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
EFJay

My father is a towie down there, i rang him thismorning about it and lucky for him someone else went to it. I feel for the guys that have to clean up the mess and pull bodies out of the wrecks..
Old 30-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly
It doesnt matter how crap the tyres were
IF they are deemed legal then they are
IF the tyres are found illegal within the RWC period , then the RWC inspector has some explaining
IF they are illegal after that point then its the drivers responsibility
But was this the contributing factor to the crash ???
Secondly
There are many factors ,speed, BAC,ect
Has every avenue been excluded ???
Even IF the BAC was right,what about a drug test ???
Just because your in the forces,as such
Doesnt exclude from being an idiot on the roads
Old 30-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
Navy boys.
Yeah - they were still going through rookies - near the end of training...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
The population was getting a bit high anyway.
The passengers dont always ask for whats coming...

RIP

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 30-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
The population was getting a bit high anyway.
That's a shocking comment considering the circumstances. I wonder if you would say that if it were your loved ones involved?
Old 30-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
fmc351
let it burn

Why, just...why.

its rhetorical.
Old 30-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #16
EFJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
That's a shocking comment considering the circumstances. I wonder if you would say that if it were your loved ones involved?

Although it may be shocking in a sad way its kinda true.... these idiots take their car on a road that all the locals know isnt in the best shape, they speed like morons and they stuff up and die..now why should we have pity for them?
Old 30-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Firstly
It doesnt matter how crap the tyres were
IF they are deemed legal then they are
IF the tyres are found illegal within the RWC period , then the RWC inspector has some explaining
IF they are illegal after that point then its the drivers responsibility
But was this the contributing factor to the crash ???
Secondly
There are many factors ,speed, BAC,ect
Has every avenue been excluded ???
Even IF the BAC was right,what about a drug test ???
Just because your in the forces,as such
Doesnt exclude from being an idiot on the roads
Whilst unravelling the finer details will be important to some, i doubt it will matter to the 2 deceased.
Old 30-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

If people wanna have a read about it.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/de...330-1cfj8.html

Had to induce one kid into a coma in the car.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger
Although it may be shocking in a sad way its kinda true.... these idiots take their car on a road that all the locals know isnt in the best shape, they speed like morons and they stuff up and die..now why should we have pity for them?
Because its a harsh price to pay for youthful exuberance.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #20
EFJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Because its a harsh price to pay for youthful exuberance.

The driver knew the risks and the passengers couldve told him to slow down.. there is youthfull exuberance and then theres total stupidity... i think this falls into the later category.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Sad to hear. There are now more families out there who tonight will not be sharing time with a loved one...very sad indeed.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

After reading that article, and the other one related to Werribee, it's becoming more and more obvious to me that defensive driving courses are necessary.

The simple fact of the matter is that people speed, the outcome of this speeding is that sometimes they stuff up, and when they stuff up, there are dire consequences for all involved. If we know that people speed, is it not an intelligent solution to give all drivers a course designed so that if they do stuff up...they know the basics on how to get out of it?

My interpretation from that article is that the driver has actually tried, unsuccessfully to stop this from happening...I could be wrong, but the reality of it all is that until someone actually does something or makes a stand...there's going to be more of this type of accident.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 30-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
EFJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I could be wrong, but the reality of it all is that until someone actually does something or makes a stand...there's going to be more of this type of accident.

Well said Sezzy, but the problem is that a lot of these fools are going to drive like this even after going to a driver course.

Yes we all speed at times, yes most of us have dropped a skid but most of us wouldnt do it with a car full of mates and do it to this extent.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #24
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
That same naval base (HMAS Cerberus) had another incident (if memory serves correct) in 2006 where a boozed up sailor smashed his supra into a tree on the mornington peninsula after attending a party to celebrate the end of a training course. Impact speed was above 150km/hr and the car tore itself apart, both occupants ejected and killed instantly. Blood achohol was off the chart.

This accident reminds me a lot of that one. Some things never change.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #25
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

http://media.theage.com.au/national/...e-2259014.html

Two actually

3 Helicopters too

Very sad indeed...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 30-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #26
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger
Well said Sezzy, but the problem is that a lot of these fools are going to drive like this even after going to a driver course.

Yes we all speed at times, yes most of us have dropped a skid but most of us wouldnt do it with a car full of mates and do it to this extent.
Yeah, you're right, but if they have the knowledge to get out should they need to, the results may not be so awful in future.

The small country town that I came from, this was common occurrence, some got out through sheer luck, the rest weren't so lucky. I found myself upside down in a car looking at the sparks from a battery and smelling petrol dripping from a cracked fuel tank after my boyfriend decided to take on a tree head first. He was a first class idiot and never learned from his mistakes.

So whilst most people you know wouldn't do it with a car full of mates, I beg to differ.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 30-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
EFJay

the police in the town i grew up in had a novel way of dealing with this sort of thing, if they found you being a knob they would give you a pounding for it.
I got a good beating from em and they told my dad what i was up to and that was the end of it. Nowdays it would be lawsuits all over it the police did it but i think it was for the best.
Old 30-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #28
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some that say the driver mite have been requested to slow down or perhaps change his drivin style
HHMM,
How our memory fades fast
How many of us seriously were young and stupid ???
Most
I bet those who condone this attitude were not the great driver/passenger
Themselves
We have all acted the idiot behind the wheel in our life time
Speeding,runnng a muck whatever
Some get away with it,some get fines,jail time and some meet the maker
When ya numbers up its up
The road death toll has gone down ,thats all we need to worry about
Going down means theres still deaths (wether good or bad)
Old 30-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
After reading that article, and the other one related to Werribee, it's becoming more and more obvious to me that defensive driving courses are necessary.
That will only make them think they now have the skills to drive at higher speeds.

What needs to happen, is for repeat offenders on the roads, need to be taken to the scene of a fatality, shown first hand what happen's. Then taken by the police to the home of the family they are about to inform of the death of a loved one from the accident and watch as the emotion's start flowing. Any survivors from the accident, they need to watch medical professionals try to save the lives of those critically injured in emergency theaters.

Time to stop with the adds, they don't work, time to ram the reality down their throat and make them live what emergency personnel live with everyday. Cold hard reality. And they need to be made to be part of it.
Old 30-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #30
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
That will only make them think they now have the skills to drive at higher speeds.

What needs to happen, is for repeat offenders on the roads, need to be taken to the scene of a fatality, shown first hand what happen's. Then taken by the police to the home of the family they are about to inform of the death of a loved one from the accident and watch as the emotion's start flowing. Any survivors from the accident, they need to watch medical professionals try to save the lives of those critically injured in emergency theaters.

Time to stop with the adds, they don't work, time to ram the reality down their throat and make them live what emergency personnel live with everyday. Cold hard reality. And they need to be made to be part of it.
Why would you make survivors watch that? You don't think a lesson would be learnt from merely being almost killed?

I agree, the softly-softly approach doesn't work, but the extreme lefts would then really be asking you 'what about the children?' - the psychological impact of those kinds of visions is enough to send some people straight over the edge. So whilst I agree in principle it's a great idea, in practice, it's not so realistic.

Most of us conveniently forget to remember that we were all young and impressionable once, we've all done stupid things, both in cars and out. Seeing this happen day in and day out on our roads is ridiculous, and yes, as has been said the road toll is going down, and yes, that's great - but kids are dying, and that's not great...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Closed Thread