Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I blame the Internet and Government

So sick of whingers who want something for nothing

I used to be in Professional Practice.
Years of training, post graduate qualifications, ongoing professional development, and several decades worth of collective expertise, but people would expect us to give out free advice.
Then come tax time, they bring some pile of chicken scratchings and proclaim "see, I've done most of the work myself, all you need to do is lodge it."
Like me rolling a shell into a mechanic, with the engine in pieces in the boot, and saying "I've already done most of the work, just need you to finish it off."

And then, to top it all off, think we should only charge $50 an hour because we should work for peanuts, have no overheads, and all the ancillary crap done by support staff should be free.

Not to mention, that nomatter how little they agree to pay, I am still obligated (legally, ethically, professionally, and institutionally) to complete the work to the required standard.

And here's the thing. We had clients who were large enough to employ part-time bookkeepers, and even those large enough to have full-time accounting staff, and in those cases literally all we did was dispense current tax advice, make a few tax adjustments and lodge returns. The irony was that those clients understood the costs and were happy to pay.

In part, I blame the government. We've allowed ourselves to be sucked into this ludicrous situation where we give the biggest portion of our money to the government, who then wastes most of it, but in return gives us lots of stuff for "free." We're so used to free school, free doctors, and heavily subsidised everything else, that we get completely gob-smacked when actually expected to pay for a service.

The internet is also a problem. In so far as how it warps peoples attitudes.
There's plenty of free advice out there, and if you have a problem with your car there's a bunch of us prepared to help with troubleshooting. And that's great, more power to everyone. I'm happy to hand out free advice, including tax advice, because its nolonger what I do for a crust, and I do it in my free time.
But FFS understand the difference between forums and the Real World. Don't take your car to a workshop and expect a mechanic to diagnose your problem for free.
Yes there are plenty of guides on "how to change your X" and if you have the tools and the ability to follow the guide, you can DIY for the cost of parts. If you can't, don't expect a professional to do it for next to nothing.

If you need a flu-shot, you can go to the pharmacy and get it done for $9. If you need brain-surgery, you will need someone a good deal more qualified.
So yes, if you want to take your car to a nice shiny Dealership, with free cappuccino and loan car, for every ailment, then expect to pay top dollar.

And whilst on a similar subject: If you're going to DIY and want cheap parts, then sure you can find everything cheaper on eBay or Alibaba. You can buy from a guy in China, with negligible overheads, generally no stock, no inventory costs, no gst, no warranty, and it will get here in a month or so. If you expect your mechanic to provide a part on demand, DON'T expect it to be the same price.
Also understand that whilst yes, most things are "made in China" these days, there's still a huge variance in quality. If you want genuine parts, or even a recognised "brand name" that you can return for a replacement if it fails inside a couple of years, then be prepared to pay more than for "Good Tek Happy Brand."
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 09:06 PM   #2
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 
Default Re: I blame the Internet and Government

You having a bad day today mate?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

C'mon Dazz, you can tell me who the bad man was

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2016, 09:19 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thread of the year.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Thread of the year.
I dunno. Has to contend with that "other thread"....

We have a list.

Last edited by SSD-85; 02-08-2016 at 09:25 PM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 12:13 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone expects stuff for nothing these days , if you sell something of good value that is worth way more than what your asking , the turkeys will still try and beat you down till its almost free ,
its the same for those supplying services , they do a good days work and dudes paying the bill still only want to pay $ 4.00 dollars an hour .
On rare occasions i get someone in for a job , like last year the hot water service carked it , the plumber i arranged to come and deal with the problem the day before , turned up on time , did a good job replacing the unit and did it in a timely manner .
Then too boot , i did not think he asked enough for the job i thanked him for his good work and give an extra $ 50 for a counter lunch .
sometimes i see friends and relatives sooking about having to pay x amount for a job on their car , they clearly have no idea what is involved in the job and the value of someone that knows what they are doing and that skilled workers deserve to get paid enough to make some coin instead living in poverty.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I just don't waste my time worrying about things I can't change. It works out just fine for me.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Just give the customer a quote & move on, simple when you think of it.

Next person!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just for the record how much is fair for someone to do your tax i know mine takes about 15 minutes so as you can imagine its very simple
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I rate this rant a 9/10!!!! Well done Dazz.

On a serious note though, I get charged by my CA 2k per annum for company compliance costs including my own personal tax return. This is for a trust setup and using Xero accounting software. While it is a steep cost to pay, I can see the expertise involved in doing what my CA does. It's not easy and while he tries to explain to me what he is doing in lamens terms, I look at him sometimes as if he has two heads and is speaking another language completely. So I pay without arguing and know that my accounts are in good hands.

When it comes to what I charge as a drafter, I just will not discount my rates just because some school leaver come wannabe architect can do it for 25% of the cost. If you want to take that risk, be my guest, just do not insult my intelligence and experience because you are too much of a tight wad to dig deeper in getting better professional advice and service.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #12
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are you whinging about something you "used to" do?

So what do you do now, make tin foil and armadillo helmets to protect you from the gubbamint and innanet? You know they're controlling you with those flu shots right?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #13
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup, Australians. Think they deserve to be paid $100 an hour for just turning up, but want to pay every one else $10 an hour.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Why are you whinging about something you "used to" do?
No, I'm whinging about the constant stream of whingers complaining about having to pay for things. Doesn't matter where you go, whether its here, or people on the sports forums complaining because they have to pay $50 for little Johnny to play, or the bulk of posts on Whirlpool.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
No, I'm whinging about the constant stream of whingers complaining about having to pay for things. Doesn't matter where you go, whether its here, or people on the sports forums complaining because they have to pay $50 for little Johnny to play, or the bulk of posts on Whirlpool.
Oh I like this "whinger whinging about whingers"
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:09 PM   #16
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh mate I come across this **** often where I work at bmw spare parts, I just started as a first job. You get some real ungrateful ****s who come In demanding and dictating what price they should be paying. For example some bloke wanted these spark plugs that were 35ea for 20 bucks ea. Despite my mate working helping him (I don't deal with the phones or people yet, rather not lol) he basically offered them for unit price of 23 bucks ea, any less the company had to pay for. Basically told him to **** off because hes like I can get it for 20 and paying 3 bucks extra each was not good enough. I hate people who are afraid to part with money, that bloke inlartocular but also both my uncles are cheap skates and my cousins are following there parents which really irritates me.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: