Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-11-2018, 03:54 PM   #781
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Not sure what you’re trying to prove. But since people don’t generally buy a house today to sell next month, or even 6 months later, look over a minimum of say 3-5 years for more real life house price data. 5-10 years is even better as it would represent the average home ownership period.
I am not trying to prove anything. Your response to my original question was dismissive so I responded in kind.

So I repeat the question I asked of XB GS 351 Coupe: "How much has it's value increased in the last six months?"

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #782
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I am not trying to prove anything. Your response to my original question was dismissive so I responded in kind.

So I repeat the question I asked of XB GS 351 Coupe: "How much has it's value increased in the last six months?"
I'll answer for you - My niece and her partner bought a 1 YO house out at Officer this month for 10% less than the vendor was asking 7 months ago.

FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #783
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I'll answer for you - My niece and her partner bought a 1 YO house out at Officer this month for 10% less than the vendor was asking 7 months ago.

My brother purchased an apartment in East Perth, about ten minutes walk from the WACA. Purchase was in 2014 at the peak of the market. Now apartments in the same complex are selling for 20% to 25% less than what he paid for his identical place. Ouch.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2018, 06:01 PM   #784
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
My brother purchased an apartment in East Perth, about ten minutes walk from the WACA. Purchase was in 2014 at the peak of the market. Now apartments in the same complex are selling for 20% to 25% less than what he paid for his identical place. Ouch.
For sure. As an investor, if you have the money then it's a good time to be scooping up property. It's also a good time for the first home owners. Everyone is winning ATM.
Old 29-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #785
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Everyone is winning ATM.

So you call a 20 to 25% loss winning?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 29-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #786
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
2014 was when WA's mining boom was falling over wasn't it?
Old 29-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #787
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
2014 was when WA's mining boom was falling over wasn't it?

Just about to.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 29-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #788
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
For sure - if you don't have to sell it's irrelevant.
Old 29-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #789
prydey
Rob

When referring to the housing market, buying and selling doesn't really matter. It's just an observation of the marketplace in general, and currently its on a bit of a downward trend.

History says it generally will stabilise and climb again, but history is just that.... History. It's not a guarantee of what will happen. Just because a massive house price crash hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't.
Old 30-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #790
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
When referring to the housing market, buying and selling doesn't really matter. It's just an observation of the marketplace in general, and currently its on a bit of a downward trend.

History says it generally will stabilise and climb again, but history is just that.... History. It's not a guarantee of what will happen. Just because a massive house price crash hasn't happened, doesn't mean it can't or won't.
Same with movements in interest rates. Everyone says they will never hit the highs of 18% again like they did in 1990 but they've done it once so it can't be ruled out. One thing's for sure they will get to around 10-12% again and that’s where we will see real problems for many home owners with huge debt and earning average incomes
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #791
superyob
Banned

Might be to much for SJWs but here is another perspective.
https://www.xyz.net.au/house-prices-going-fall-75/
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #792
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Everyone says they will never hit the highs of 18% again like they did in 1990
the thing is, they don't need to, and with the current economy and house prices, they won't. it would cripple the economy overnight.

18% interest was on house prices around $70k give or take. compare that with 4% on 400k, and it is substantially more interest being paid. Factor in that for the east coast, $400k is the cheap end, and you can clearly see why interest rates don't need to hit the high's of yesteryear to rape the population.

this argument always dwells on only 1 aspect of the time (high interest rate period). it doesn't factor in the house prices or the wages as a percentage of the house prices, or the cost of living.

I would argue that for some people its every bit as hard today as it was for those facing high interest rates in the 80's.
Old 30-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #793
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this argument always dwells on only 1 aspect of the time (high interest rate period). it doesn't factor in the house prices or the wages as a percentage of the house prices, or the cost of living.
You also missed another elephant in the room- lack of permanent positions and the casualisation of the workforce with non stability of income....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2018, 01:32 PM   #794
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Might be to much for SJWs but here is another perspective.
https://www.xyz.net.au/house-prices-going-fall-75/
75%
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #795
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the thing is, they don't need to, and with the current economy and house prices, they won't. it would cripple the economy overnight.

18% interest was on house prices around $70k give or take. compare that with 4% on 400k, and it is substantially more interest being paid. Factor in that for the east coast, $400k is the cheap end, and you can clearly see why interest rates don't need to hit the high's of yesteryear to rape the population.

I would argue that for some people its every bit as hard today as it was for those facing high interest rates in the 80's.
True right now there's no need for an increase. However all it could take is a major inflation hit and rates start going up. It could even be out of our control - i.e a trade war between China and the US and the imposition of tarrifs will put prices of raw materials up which will be passed on to consumers, then wage pressures, then interest rates.

If rates got to only 10%, on a loan of $400k borrowers would need to find another $24,000 of after tax income (assuming its not an investment property) to pay the mortgage. Many would find that a struggle
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #796
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
For sure - if you don't have to sell it's irrelevant.

But if you are locked into a mortgage and the value of the house drops below what you owe then that is NOT a winning position.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 30-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #797
.:4:.
Kicking back

Exclamation Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
But if you are locked into a mortgage and the value of the house drops below what you owe then that is NOT a winning position.
Markets go up and down, if its a short term thing then yeah, you may get screwed. But there is such thing as refinancing a loan like i did to stop the rediculous interest. In the long term things will go up. But thats if you do your reaserch. If you buy in a boom town then the boom goes away, well thats a lost bet. But if its a place you want to or intend to live in for years and years then its more of an annoyance. So its the finance im getting at here not the property value, because regardless of the property value, you still have to pay what you bought it for. Even with the slump at the moment if i sell my place the mortgage would be covered, and there would be another few hundred grand on top. Thats not a profit though. I need a house to live in so with the market growth in the past few years i might end up with a deposit and stamp duty paid, but the rest goes into getting house with the loan on top and its not going to be that much better then where im at now. If anything at all.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #798
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
75%
If it drops 75% there will be no new building could not build new for the price of old house with 75%drop in price. What a further depressionary impact that would be on the economy no further construction.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #799
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only if you can't make the repayments.

As for 75%. If **** gets that bad we are all ****ed anyway
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #800
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

Quote:
It's not a losing position either unless you have to sell. Most Australians aren't house traders so it really shouldn't be an issue?
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #801
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Correct, too far of a drop and the bank will want some cash to get the LVR value into comfortable position and unless you have some cash at the ready (remember you wont be able to borrow against your home for this) the bank will foreclose.
Only way is if you owe nothing or very little..

Big property portfolio with lots of debt that's been interest only = up the creek.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #802
hayseed

Quote:

One of My Brothers Bought a Town house in Dublin Ireland in 2007 for 385,000 Euros..

in 2009 It's market value was assessed at 160,000 Euros...( 59% drop in value)

They're both back here working to keep the payments Up..

Even Today Its market value is only about 200-220,000 Euros.
It's going to be Years before the Loan Payout figure & Its market Value Meet.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #803
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
One of My Brothers Bought a Town house in Dublin Ireland in 2007 for 385,000 Euros..

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 01-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #804
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Did you hear the joke about the Irish property investor ??"
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #805
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

If I remember correctly Ireland got absolutely smashed during the GFC. Barely caused a ripple here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #806
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
If I remember correctly Ireland got absolutely smashed during the GFC. Barely caused a ripple here.
Correct.. & the Aussie Gooberment doesn't have big Budget Surplus to help us ride it out this Time..
I reckon We're in for a Hard Landing, next Time..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #807
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Correct.. & the Aussie Gooberment doesn't have big Budget Surplus to help us ride it out this Time..
Oh, bugger, we're due for a new flat screen TV too..
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #808
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
I reckon We're in for a Hard Landing, next Time..

Or they pour in so much borrowed money that the next three generations will have to repay.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #809
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

It’s ok, WA will prop up the rest of the country....again
Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 PM   #810
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
It’s ok, WA will prop up the rest of the country....again
Going to ask for more gst money?