Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 15-12-2005, 08:10 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
so if your not interested in beating your opponant, you can pretty much take your time?
Well if it's you against me i call it a headstart :
If they are driving a turbo VL it may take them 5 seconds to spool, but they still claim 9 second passes.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 08:21 PM   #32
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Well if it's you against me i call it a headstart :
If they are driving a turbo VL it may take them 5 seconds to spool, but they still claim 9 second passes.
ahhhh i see...cheatin mongrels :
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 09:41 PM   #33
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
ahhhh i see...cheatin mongrels :
Yeh slacko's, Ive seen them spool up for about 10 seconds sometimes.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I take it to 3000, then slip the clutch out pretty quickly while feeding in a bit more throttle & hope to keep it on the edge of breaking into wheelspin. Not fantastic for the clutch but there you go. Got me a 2.25sec 60' with a stock engine, 1600kg weight and stiff 1 tonne springs. As for the burnout, given the wheels are sitting in water it doesn't take much to get them turning, I use second gear, about 1500-2000 revs and dump the clutch slowly if that makes sense, I don't just bang it out so it is a bit less harsh on the drivetrain.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #35
rodderz

I do the burnout in 2nd gear, it has enough grunt to spin the tyres after a clutch dump at around 4500rpm, even on the normal road

Then launch at around 3500rpm with slight slip, then once moving drop it, and you will feel the back end squat down. Stock clutch isnt bad when new or using stock road tyres but once you start modding and getting sticky rubber they turn to shyte very quickly. I've still got the stocky clutch and the ute doesnt get much use because of it!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #36
darnoldrs

The burn out is required to get the tyres up to ideal temp. depends on the day/conditions ect. I found a small ish burn out on street tyres worked best for me. I set the revs at about 3500rpm, held the throttle there, took up the slack in the drive line, last amber lightlet the clutch out with out moving the excelorator. wheels spin breefly, as soon as the start to hook up feed in as much power as you can with out breaking into wheel spin. Once i was in second just floor it. Picking a rev so as not to break into wheel spin is not only a good launch method for me but it is also becomes very consistant unless you get on the go go to soon and breaks into wheel spin.
2.060 60" EL XR8 manual with a 3.45 LSD running crappy 235-45-17 tires with 34 psi. straight off the street.
darnoldrs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #37
Chris
AFF.com.au

just get out there........................
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #38
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
just get out there........................
Thats how I learnt! :eclipsee_
Old 16-12-2005, 07:46 PM   #39
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I ride the crap out of it,prob half way through first, if i dont it runs 13's just sits there spinning
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #40
darnoldrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowride260
Thats how I learnt! :eclipsee_
This may be true but I have only been to the drags twice and this was the first time in the falcon. I would have never had it worked out that well if i didnt get advice from mates. Asking questions and getting ideas to try definatly helps get things worked out much quicker.
darnoldrs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2005, 11:27 PM   #41
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I ride the crap out of it,prob half way through first, if i dont it runs 13's just sits there spinning
You need to change your tyre and suspension setup, i drop clutch at 6500rpm and get NO wheelspin.
Old 17-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #42
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

Big burnout... , then sligh stalling up of converter, (1800-2000), then half throttle it just for the first bit then gradually jump on it more , as treads gain grip. Just needing slicks i think then i could just jump on it
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #43
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
You need to change your tyre and suspension setup, i drop clutch at 6500rpm and get NO wheelspin.
I will try slicks eventually,The tyres were M/T ET streets (235/60/15)But the suspension has to stay mega stiff for the circuit, It is just too much fun, It will always be a compromise in this car but it's never going to be a drag only type car
Old 17-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #44
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

I see where your coming from Nugget, i had circuit suspension and drag radials that gave me 2.4 60ft with heaps of wheelspin at the track, i changed shocks and springs and put slicks on witch gave me 1.7 60ft.
Old 17-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #45
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnoldrs
This may be true but I have only been to the drags twice and this was the first time in the falcon. I would have never had it worked out that well if i didnt get advice from mates. Asking questions and getting ideas to try definatly helps get things worked out much quicker.
Very true mate but the end of the day with practice you learn the feel get rhytm and get to know your cars characteristics, none of your mate etc can teach you that, thats something you will have to learn yourself.
Old 17-12-2005, 08:03 PM   #46
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
I see where your coming from Nugget, i had circuit suspension and drag radials that gave me 2.4 60ft with heaps of wheelspin at the track, i changed shocks and springs and put slicks on witch gave me 1.7 60ft.
That suprises me, I thought your 60's would be 1.5's the way you lift the front,wish I can do that with slicks.I want a big framed pic with the wheels in the air :evil_laug
Old 18-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #47
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

It would have been close to 1.5 but it was bogging down a little, the tounge plates seem to have fixed that.
Old 19-12-2005, 12:38 AM   #48
Steve
torque is your friend

A little birdy told me that dumping the clutch in a BA is a great way of breaking CV's. Especially if you have a heavy duty clutch.
Old 19-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #49
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
A little birdy told me that dumping the clutch in a BA is a great way of breaking CV's. Especially if you have a heavy duty clutch.
In a sedan maybe, mate dump the clutch with a std clutch at the strip you can be asking for trouble.
In a ute no worries! :
Old 19-12-2005, 05:18 PM   #50
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

In the auto a stall as high as possible before wheelspin then let the brake go .If it doesnt spin tramp the sucker full throttle.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post