Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #31
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Driving Test..... too harsh?

Quote:
have never experienced it but was always told for just that reason to keep the wheels straight until your in motion.
That's also how I was taught to drive and how I taught my wife and kids to drive. Wheels straight ahead until the oncoming traffic is cleared and you are actually turning into the side street.

I was also taught to make sure all lanes were clear when entering a multilane road or highway but nobody seems to do that these days; you're lucky if they even check the curb-side lane is clear before they pull out.
Old 19-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #32
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I have never experienced it but was always told for just that reason to keep the wheels straight untill your in motion. For the reason you don't want to be pushed into on coming traffic.

Yep, three people got incinerated in Perth going back many years ago because the driver did this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 20-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #33
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

My partner failed his p test first time, for "severe braking".
Yup, he slammed on his brakes to avoid being cleaned up by a bus that ran a red light.
There used to be a motorbike tester at Penrith, she would never pass anyone first go, and was upfront about it, when anyone senior was not in earshot. Funnily enough I hear she no longer has a job there

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #34
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
My partner failed his p test first time, for "severe braking".
That makes me laugh. When I got my bike license the very last part of the test was a slalom that set you up to approach a line at a certain speed at which point you had to do an emergency stop. I stopped in about 2/3rds the distance I was "supposed to".

She told me I started braking too soon. I told her I'm really good on the brakes. She said nobody is that good. Go around and do it again.

So I did. She watched me closely and I stopped in the same distance again. No sliding or lost traction.

She agreed, Okay, you passed.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #35
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe lots of kids coming up to the age of thinking about a drivers license struggle with road awareness / spacial awareness / natural flow of traffic / road rules, etc is because, unlike many of us, they haven't spent their childhood on a pushbike.
All the things you learn and adapt to while riding around on the streets all those years help with your transition to a car.

Another thing that many kids are not absorbing is how their parents drive while sitting in the car as a passenger. As a kid I used to watch dad change gears, used to see how he would merge into lanes, watch him give way, etc.
Now kids aren't even looking out the windows... DVD players in headrests a meter from their faces, phones and tablets on their laps. They are not learning about the awareness they need once they get to driving age because they are not naturally absorbing what goes on.

IMO
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #36
ba-wagon

Re kids: When we are in the car, I ask my 9 and 12 year old girls about driving to get them to think about what is involved and what is important while driving.
Eg. "Why didn't I go then?" Or "Tell me when you think it is safe to go."
ba-wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
The lady said "dont worry youve learned something today so all good." Cant help but think, if the tester had considered she aced everything else, and then fallen for that trap, why not pull her over & give her a talk on what needed to be done, and let her learn something that day......... instead with the 4 week wait it feels like more of a punishment & shes a menace that needs to be kept off the roads.

The way half of us drive on here, i could think of worse things lol.......
Tests of this nature are not designed for interpretation but are ‘black & white’ and to get it wrong is to fail.

I know you wouldn’t think it when you’re on the road but driving is a serious business and softening testing procedures can only have a negative effect and a population already filled with lazy and discourteous drivers doesn't need relaxed easy to pass tests.

As harsh as it may appear your daughter will long remember her error due to failing, much more so then by being given a lecture.

Last week in country NSW a friend’s granddaughter didn’t even get the chance to test as the tester refused because the vehicle had a brake light not working and all her tears didn’t change the fact she was forced to reschedule so the light could be fixed first.

A Cop would have most likely given a warning but an exam tester doesn’t nor would it be passed at a rego check.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 03:15 PM   #38
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I was also taught to make sure all lanes were clear when entering a multilane road or highway but nobody seems to do that these days; you're lucky if they even check the curb-side lane is clear before they pull out.
Pretty sure (in NSW at least) you need the first 2 lanes to be clear to be able to enter a multi lane road. Or at least you did back when I had to sit my test when getting my Aussie license when I moved from Scotland in 2001.

Having to do a test in another country when I'd only passed mine 3 years earlier in Scotland was a bit of a ****er
Old 21-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #39
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Pretty sure (in NSW at least) you need the first 2 lanes to be clear to be able to enter a multi lane road. Or at least you did back when I had to sit my test when getting my Aussie license when I moved from Scotland in 2001.
From what I can find , it seems it's no longer the law, albeit still good practice. e.g.

https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/pco/prod/filestore.nsf/FileURL/mrdoc_37162.htm/$FILE/Road%20Traffic%20Code%202000%20-%20%5B05-e0-00%5D.html?OpenElement

Quote:
68. Giving way when moving from boundary of carriageway, or parking area on or in median strip
(1) A driver entering a marked lane, or a line of traffic, from the boundary of a carriageway shall give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
Ditto in NSW https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/#...7/div6/rule.87
Quote:
87 Giving way when moving from a side of a road or a median strip parking area
(1) A driver entering a marked lane, or a line of traffic, from the far left or right side of a road must give way to any vehicle travelling in the lane or line of traffic.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.
Note 1. Line of traffic and marked lane are defined in the Dictionary.
Note 2. For subrule (1), give way means:
(a) if the driver is stopped—remain stationary until it is safe to proceed, or
(b) in any other case—slow down and, if necessary, stop to avoid a collision,

I guess I learned to drive in era when semaphore indicators that often stuck inside their pillar recess were still out there on cars, front indicator lights were not on all cars that had moved onto tail-light indicators and there was always chance that the car in the far lane was about to change into the curb-side lane you planned to enter.
Old 21-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #40
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember my driving instructor having a sleep on the way back home not long after going nuts on me for rolling a stop sign after what was a pretty decent test.

I think that is a pretty big endorsement of my skill or maybe he was just really too tired not to care
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I remember my instructor saying you keep your eyes on the road, i'll keep my eyes on the chicks. Legend.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #42
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Book in a third test a day or 2 after the second one, just incase she fails again.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #43
.:4:.
Kicking back

I remember doing my P's test at the Ryde rta and the instructor tried 2 tricks on me. The first one was a 3 point turn in a lane way that was not wide enough for 2 cars to pass and the other was choosing the most expensive car possible to do a reverse parallel park behind. On the drive back I asked how I went in the 3 point turn as it took 7 points because it was too tight for the car. Full marks he tells me. It was his stress test to see if I'd panic.
I actually don't consider his stress test a dog act because in the real world driving on your own how you react when the unknown happens is really important. My sister didn't get her p plates till she was 25 and is a very anxious person. Needless to say she has let her licence expire and does not drive anymore because she can't handle the random acts of others.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 10:27 AM   #44
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Far far to easy to get a licence in this country. They need to get serious
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #45
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
***Warning - mindless ranting **

The error was not scanning enough while driving through an "uncontrolled intersection" which means there are no give way or stop signs. From what she tells me, she was already only doing 45kph, there where no cars to be seen, so she continued through.

I don't have issue with the tester expecting your daughter to not just drive blindly through unmarked intersections but how did he decide that she didn't "scan enough"? That sounds ridiculous. Can't most people see full left and right with peripheral vision while barely turning their head? How did he decide she didn't look enough? She already said there were no cars, what more did he expect?

The people that slow down at every opportunity really annoy me. It interrupts the flow of traffic and seems to result in slow mental processing which I personally think contributes to accidents.
How many of you live in Sydney and have seen Brisbane drivers? They/we drive like 80 year olds with bad eyesight and our peak hour traffic is horrendous as a result.

A couple years ago I went to Sydney for work and had a hire car, and it was awesome. Traffic was just go go go, not due to speeding, just due to everyone being aware of their place in the flow and I didn't see a single collision or roadrage incident. Brisbane people can't drive for crap - sorry not sorry!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #46
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You want to sit an hc truck exam and see what they say about scanning/situational awareness.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-10-2017, 04:48 PM   #47
wobblysauce
316,500km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
..And I thought I had it hard compared to elder sister who got hers in the country - single cop town, drive him out to the 4-mile (cross road 4 miles out of town), chuck a U-turn, head back to town and diagonal park between no cars in front of cop shop, then have cup of tea while he typed it up.

Bit differnt to today's requirements
Sounds like a few stories I know of, fuel shortage...
1, Just drove around the block. Licence.
2, Get some eggs from the store. Licence.
3, Get the Newspaper. Licence.

Was going for the Barra 1,000,000km... but was cut short, time to reset the clock.
wobblysauce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #48
Kicking back

I found out today one of the apprentices at work finally got his p plates after 7 attempts. I worry about his well being using a drill let alone behind the wheel of a car. My boss is probably going to tear him a new one because he has an auto only licence and is just as useful as before as he can't be the gofer as all our cars in the field are manuals.
Old 23-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #49
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I found out today one of the apprentices at work finally got his p plates after 7 attempts. I worry about his well being using a drill let alone behind the wheel of a car. My boss is probably going to tear him a new one because he has an auto only licence and is just as useful as before as he can't be the gofer as all our cars in the field are manuals.

Unfortunately the boss doesn’t own the licence, the apprentice does!

Old 23-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #50
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rode my bike to the tester to get my bike licence (3 months before I could get a car licence)
Had to go and get his salad roll for lunch
Upon return licence granted.
I'm still here today, couldn't have been too wrong.

Increasing complexity is all part of the "service industry" BS, now most manufacturing in the country is gone.

It seems if one Can't add value - then add repeat tasks of no value .........

Last edited by 383hq; 23-10-2017 at 09:48 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 09:46 PM   #51
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Unfortunately the boss doesn’t own the licence, the apprentice does!

Yes but what use is a potato who can't do the running around in a work car?
Old 23-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #52
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes but what use is a potato who can't do the running around in a work car?

Boss should have been a forward thinker and could’ve seen something like this coming. He can get an auto Yaris or similar and write it off against tax if having a gopher is so important but the poor apprentice will probably get the sack.

Old 23-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #53
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
Boss should have been a forward thinker and could’ve seen something like this coming. He can get an auto Yaris or similar and write it off against tax if having a gopher is so important but the poor apprentice will probably get the sack.

You speak nothing but common sense. But the spuds uncle is the bosses mate and being in a trade he's not going anywhere unfortunately and we dont drive small small comercials. The axe will drop. But 3 years in and still at 1st year tafe when that will happen remains a mystery.
Old 23-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #54
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

45 kph through that intersection should be an instant fail any day of the week.

XByoot - "Yeah I think the Utes are the new coupes...you get as much rust at a far cheaper price"
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 08:32 AM   #55
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daughter was talking to a work mate who failed their test as well..... no prizes for guessing which intersection it was?

Manager at the transport dep. found us a cancellation, and the 4 week wait for the re-test is now in 3 more days, nice !!!
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #56
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You speak nothing but common sense. But the spuds uncle is the bosses mate and being in a trade he's not going anywhere unfortunately and we dont drive small small comercials. The axe will drop. But 3 years in and still at 1st year tafe when that will happen remains a mystery.
Sounds like a real liability to the company.Surely the boss is bright enough to see the potato head is totally useless and has the foresight to cut him loose before he qualifies for the old age pension,this seems to be the way he is heading if it has taken 3 years to complete 1 years Tafe.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #57
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Sounds like a real liability to the company.Surely the boss is bright enough to see the potato head is totally useless and has the foresight to cut him loose before he qualifies for the old age pension,this seems to be the way he is heading if it has taken 3 years to complete 1 years Tafe.

Sounds like the boss should’ve put a bit more time and effort into his recruitment process to me! He hired him and now he’s stuck with Mr Potato Head

Old 24-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #58
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Thats not going to happen, my bosses best mate is his uncle. Plus we need cheap a cheap labourer to sweep up. Our first year is already into 2nd year tafe and gets paid more. It's a shame once the spare van is loaded he has to drive it to the tip....
Old 25-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #59
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Thats not going to happen, my bosses best mate is his uncle. Plus we need cheap a cheap labourer to sweep up. Our first year is already into 2nd year tafe and gets paid more. It's a shame once the spare van is loaded he has to drive it to the tip....
Have a whip round and get potatohead a bicycle with a basket, that'll keep him busy and out of your way.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #60
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I don't have issue with the tester expecting your daughter to not just drive blindly through unmarked intersections but how did he decide that she didn't "scan enough"? That sounds ridiculous. Can't most people see full left and right with peripheral vision while barely turning their head? How did he decide she didn't look enough? She already said there were no cars, what more did he expect?

The people that slow down at every opportunity really annoy me. It interrupts the flow of traffic and seems to result in slow mental processing which I personally think contributes to accidents.
How many of you live in Sydney and have seen Brisbane drivers? They/we drive like 80 year olds with bad eyesight and our peak hour traffic is horrendous as a result.

A couple years ago I went to Sydney for work and had a hire car, and it was awesome. Traffic was just go go go, not due to speeding, just due to everyone being aware of their place in the flow and I didn't see a single collision or roadrage incident. Brisbane people can't drive for crap - sorry not sorry!

For traffic to be impeded by people who slow down at every opportunity it would have to be a busy road which would also have right of way.

Looking at the photo posted, the OP’s daughter was in a residential area where slowing down would have little to no effect on traffic flow.

I would expect that the tester would want the learner driver to show they looked left and right by turning their head and therefore increasing their peripheral vision range and not start off their driving life with bad habits.

Which part of Sydney were you driving in that was so awesome where the traffic was go, go, go due to everyone being aware of their place in the flow.

Major roads in Sydney have been gridlocked for years.

No road rage in Sydney, hehehehe

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post