Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
FRIKA
FRIKA

Default Pioneer Sux

Just bought a brand new stereo and had it installed on the weekend only to find out that the antenna doesnt go down when you switch to CD Tuner. I have been advised that this is the case with Pioneer. Im probably being a bit pedantic, but i just shits me.

Also i used to have the factory six stacker system in and i purchased the pocket to go under stereo. Im not real happy with how the stereo now sits as it has gaps. What have others done to make it look a bit neater. Pics would be great. :

Old 08-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i have an aerial. it stays up. all the time. cos even if i had an electric aerial, i'd disconnect the waste of time thing.

you can't adjust the height of the things, and so when you go under some bushes/trees or something, snap goes the aerial.

moral of the story? electric aerials are bad.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
i have an aerial. it stays up. all the time. cos even if i had an electric aerial, i'd disconnect the waste of time thing.

you can't adjust the height of the things, and so when you go under some bushes/trees or something, snap goes the aerial.

unless you have a half height antenna switch lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
FRIKA
FRIKA

I have now been told that i can run it to a separate switch of which i can choose to have the antenna up or down. Is it really worth it??????????????
Old 08-01-2007, 07:34 PM   #5
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

The manual aerieals usually seize up. Mine did and i drove under a tree and it snapped clean off. I fitted an electric one, when i drive uner a tree i turn the cd player off and it goes down by itself
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE
I have now been told that i can run it to a separate switch of which i can choose to have the antenna up or down. Is it really worth it??????????????
Probably not.. just more messy switches. I bet you'll get used to it after a few weeks.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
XplodE
Smashed Gecko Racing

Quote:
Just bought a brand new stereo and had it installed on the weekend only to find out that the antenna doesnt go down when you switch to CD Tuner. I have been advised that this is the case with Pioneer. Im probably being a bit pedantic, but i just shits me.

Also i used to have the factory six stacker system in and i purchased the pocket to go under stereo. Im not real happy with how the stereo now sits as it has gaps. What have others done to make it look a bit neater. Pics would be great. :
I'm not 100% sure on Pie-in-ear units, but id normally say that the installer has hooked up the the amp trigger wire to your elect antenna instead of the ant trigger wire. They are both blue, just one has a stripe!

As for the unit not sitting right, im guessing your talking about the pocket how it sits out in the middle, if so get yourself a heat gun and that should soon fix that prob....
XplodE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodE
I'm not 100% sure on Pie-in-ear units, but id normally say that the installer has hooked up the the amp trigger wire to your elect antenna instead of the ant trigger wire. They are both blue, just one has a stripe!

As for the unit not sitting right, im guessing your talking about the pocket how it sits out in the middle, if so get yourself a heat gun and that should soon fix that prob....
Thanks Ill get the wires checked.

The pocket is not bad. Sorry for the confusion im talking about the stereo not sitting properley. Mine is basically not flush and sits in a little leaving gaps around the actual stereo if you now what i mean.

I might take photos if I have time and post them up.

Thankyou
Old 08-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

My ariel is permanetly down as I hate the radio. But when I used to use it, it was the biggest pain in the neck

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there used to be stereo surrounds on ebay for the au's bringing it down to a 1 din cut out. Looked like it would be alot neater then the pocket
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunatley all Pioneer head units share the same remote output for the electric antenna/ amplifier remote turn on. I once shared your frustration, I just ended up replacing the deck myself with a Kenwood high end model. Problem solved. Most other brands (these days) have separate outputs for antennas and amps. Can you return it?

Last edited by duaned; 08-01-2007 at 08:47 PM.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

My Clarion H/U does the same. I just leave it half down now.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an Sony Head unit, and my antenna moves up and down with the tuner and CD player, my pocket looks fairly crap as well, not sure if was who put it in or that is just how they are..

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodE

I agree with xplode.I think its been installed wrong.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you own a car with an electric aerial, then you want it to work. When the car is off, aerial goes down and saves it from getting damaged. My previous cars never had electric and I lost count on the number of times some bent it and snapped it. Damn Hippies
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #16
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
Unfortunatley all Pioneer head units share the same remote output for the electric antenna/ amplifier remote turn on. I once shared your frustration, I just ended up replacing the deck myself with a Kenwood high end model. Problem solved. Most other brands (these days) have separate outputs for antennas and amps. Can you return it?

I quite like the deck. At the end of the day ill just have to put up with it. As bucknaked pointed out it does go down when the power is of.

I might just change the aeriel to a smaller one if i can find one. Just dont like antennas they look crap.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #17
JoesAu

hey mate, i had my pioneer headunit installed on saturday. And we found a way to bypass the antenna. i have switch in the car. i cant remember how he did it???? He cut into the accessory wire and ran wiring to a switch, the switch cost 2 buks from diksmith. Pioneer dont have a seperate trigger wire or sumthing until u buy into their top of the range units. Mines the 6850, so there is nothing wrong with the way the guy wired it up its just he isnt very smart cos its so simple. yet i cant remember but i didnt watch the whole lot.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
JoesAu

and yes i have gaps around the fascia, i'll look into to it later filling in the gaps etc, i reckon mine looks tops as it is anyway.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #19
JoesAu

its a brown wire im pretty sure, accesoory wire someone correct me if im wrong??
Old 08-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
I quite like the deck. At the end of the day ill just have to put up with it. As bucknaked pointed out it does go down when the power is of.

I might just change the aeriel to a smaller one if i can find one. Just dont like antennas they look crap.
mate i've had three pioneer decks, two of them being in cars with electric aerials, and the antenna has always gone down when i switch to the CD player, so i'm not sure what the deal is there!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xrayte, i'll take a picture of my head unit to show you how it sits. Its not 100% flush, but its an AU thing.
EDIT: heres a pic.. haha i know i should probably vacuum the car too.

Last edited by GlennBA; 08-01-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:37 PM   #22
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
hey mate, i had my pioneer headunit installed on saturday. And we found a way to bypass the antenna. i have switch in the car. i cant remember how he did it???? He cut into the accessory wire and ran wiring to a switch, the switch cost 2 buks from diksmith. Pioneer dont have a seperate trigger wire or sumthing until u buy into their top of the range units. Mines the 6850, so there is nothing wrong with the way the guy wired it up its just he isnt very smart cos its so simple. yet i cant remember but i didnt watch the whole lot.
I bought the same stereo as well. You would think that for retail price of $629.00 that they would have had it.
The switch sounds like a good idea I might consider that as an option as well.

Where did you put the switch. Id prefer mine out of the way somewhere.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #23
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i have a clarion HU, it too sticks out, it's the stupid curved design of the centre dash console area. But it's only slightly visible so i put up with it, at least no one has mentioned it to me.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #24
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
xrayte, i'll take a picture of my head unit to show you how it sits. Its not 100% flush, but its an AU thing.

Looks a lot better than mine
Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #25
JoesAu

well my switch is near where ur left foot sits.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:38 AM   #26
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Pockets and alternatives were discussed here:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=67791
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 AM   #27
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I bought the same stereo as well. You would think that for retail price of $629.00 that they would have had it.
The switch sounds like a good idea I might consider that as an option as well.

Where did you put the switch. Id prefer mine out of the way somewhere.
Hey dude,

I just had a Pioneer HU installed and I guarantee you it has the ability to lower the aerial when the CD is playing. Your installer is talking our his *** and needs a slap. All stereos have done this for the past 5 years...

And as for pics, heres mine

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bkolk/i...ar/photos/deck
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #28
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
]
Try and make a backing plate and it should be sweet, if you took the HU out and placed some wood ( say inch down and half inch deep ) into where the HU sits pushed it back and up, then drew a line around the curve ( on top ) this should give you the correct cut out needed, do the same for sides and bottom. cut ot the correct size for the HU and join together to make the template, then paint it black , silver or even cover it with leather if you want, it should then all slide in neat and tidy.

Balsa wood , would probably be ok for this and be easy to work with.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #29
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Hey dude,

I just had a Pioneer HU installed and I guarantee you it has the ability to lower the aerial when the CD is playing. Your installer is talking our his *** and needs a slap. All stereos have done this for the past 5 years...

And as for pics, heres mine

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bkolk/i...ar/photos/deck
Enjoy the Hungry Jocks?
Linz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #30
stiddy
Banned

Why would you go for Pioneer in the first place??
its rubbish gear.. you may aswell go get megavox or supersound lol.
Atleast supersound subs dont sound like your smacking a cardboard box with a stick like pioneer do
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post