Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NU V8 breaking down under acceleration

Hello all, hoping for some advice.

My 2001 NU V8 Fairlane Sportsman has developed a problem when under heavy acceleration. Anything more than about 2/3 throttle it breaks down (misfires/splutters) and seems to make a squealing noise from the engine similar to a belt slipping noise. I have recently replaced both tensioner adjustment pulleys and the serpentine belt as well as the coil packs. I disconnected the wire from the abs/tcs module today to see if it was that playing up however it still did it.

I don't drive the car very often and only run it on 98 fuel. It still does it with fresh fuel.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Default Re: NU V8 breaking down under acceleration

Cam sync sensor or leads.
Check the leads for sparking between each other with it idling in the dark.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

Fuel Pump
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks fellas,

The leads are good, no sparking.

I'm going to have a good look at the harmonic balancer today to make sure its not cactus however I'd imagine if it was starting to move on the rubber I'd feel a vibration through the engine. It makes sense of what the squealing noise might be though.

After that it's off to the mechanic for a test of the fuel pump and if that's all good I'll start looking at the cam sync sensor.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a cam syc sensor will squeel when its dead..
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8falcons View Post
a cam syc sensor will squeel when its dead..
V8falcons is on the money. I have had a cam sync go before. It made the squealing noise you refer to. My symptoms were spluttering under any load. Each case is different I guess.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Stu,

The harmonic balancer looks fine, no wobble and I'm figuring if it was no good I would have a vibration.

I ordered a Dorman cam synchroniser through Rock Auto in the US. For about $85 delivered I'll take a punt and replace mine and see how we go.
This user likes this post: