Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #1
Skwid
Starter Motor

Default 06 Focus Intake Manifold issues, Code P2008

Hi People, Has anyone come across a P code error 2008 referring to the intake manifold runner control. have had manifold off and cleaned internals and all seems ok inside. Was wondering if some one has had a similar Pcode issues.
Skwid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: 06 Focus Intake Manifold issues, Code P2008

Common issue. Most commonly the solenoid fails.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=p2008
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Follow the vacuum lines back to the solenoid, which looks like this: http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...3&d=1326260595
Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Skwid
Starter Motor

Heh DZ, cheers for coming back to me about this. I had done some extensive research on this issue and the set up of the manifold, prior to tackling this tricky job, as you well know from pics I've seen from your other posts.

One of the things I was aware of was that the solenoids could be the problem and had already rang suppliers to find a new set, but they are a few days away to lob in Perth. So I tested the existing ones and they were operating normally so I kinda ruled them out. Anyway I had read on another forum that someone had swapped the electrical plugs on the solenoids and that had fixed their problem.

Well after spending a whole day under the bonnet cleaning manifold, throttle body, I had fuel rail out, changed plugs (old ones had nearly 2mm gap) and working out how that whole system ticks I was keen for success, but NOOO, engine light still on and still driving like a pig. Keen to try anything I swapped the solenoid plugs and let my step daughter (it's her car) just drive it like that for the day.

She got home last night and said OMG now it's rattling, so half expecting that response I took it for a drive and sure enough you could hear the butterfly's in the manifold rattling when accelerating, drove for bit then pulled over and changed the solenoid plugs back. Got back in the car and started it and **** me, NO engine light. I drove around for the next half hour and couldn't fault it, Step daughter drove it, said it wasn't the same car.

She's only had it a couple of weeks, engine light came on day after she picked it up. Seller must have reset codes when she test drove it, because she didn't see it.
So far so good this morning car is still good and fingers are crossed it stays that way. I can only put it down to the rattling of the butterfly's must have shaken all the carbon build up off and freed them up because the car is running great at this point.

Sorry for the spiel but it felt good to vent to someone who understands my intake manifold pain, even if I did bore you, lol. Will post updates if problem is sorted or it comes back.

Thanks for listening,
Skwid.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do feel your pain! Mine also started off as an intermittent solenoid fault. Sometimes the engine would run as normal, other times there was no power under 3000rpm. Also, the CEL would only come on intermittently to start with, until the solenoid completely failed one day.

I'm not sure if swapping the electrical connectors over is a good test. Whilst it is harmless, I do believe that it will only lead to the ECU commanding the incorrect solenoid 'on.'
Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 PM   #6
Skwid
Starter Motor

You are right, I wouldn't recommend it either but I did find out what happens when you do, and they certainly don't function properly.

It would appear my joy was short lived however, because CEL is back with avengence. So the issue must be intermittent solenoids like yours, because that's what it's been doing as well, running good to the shops then running bad on the way back.

I'll be changing those solenoids as soon as they get here and go from there I suppose, I'll keep updating.

Is this a common fault with this engine?
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Skwid
Starter Motor

Sorry stupid question, your first reply started with "Common Issue"
Old 07-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the best with the repair and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Skwid
Starter Motor

Just thought I'd update on step daughters Focus engine light issue. Changed solenoids the day after last post and totally fixed the problem. have waited this long to reply to make sure the problem was fixed and fixed it is.

Thanks for your help and advise, this is the right place to come if your Ford has issues. Good job.

Skwid
Old 13-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear that it's all sorted now
Old 10-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
daryle
Old drag racer

Hi all, got the same problem with wife's 06 Focus. Engine light continually comes on and car has a noticeable power loss. Had it back to workshop 3 times and they are telling me the inlet manifold needs replacing - $700. Car has only 55k on the clock. Fist visit they cleared all the fault codes, 2nd visit sprayed manifold cleaner in , 3rd visit informed me solenoid is working correctly. Now my question, i am using google and can only find 1 solenoid but above posts indicate solenoids/kit which indicates more than 1. Is it worth trying new solenoids? are they expensive? is it easy for a layman with minimum tools and knowhow? Thanks.
daryle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #12
jb2020

the kit contains 2 solenoids on a bracket about 140 from ford. you just swap over the hoses and the 2 solenoid connectors, pretty easy - just dont mix them up.
Our 2010 focus had the same problem, no power, P2008 fault code - when the fault was reset, the car would run perfectly fine but then fault would just come back in a day or two and it ran like a dog. new solenoid kit fixed the problem, fault cleared by itself and hasnt come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryle View Post
Hi all, got the same problem with wife's 06 Focus. Engine light continually comes on and car has a noticeable power loss. Had it back to workshop 3 times and they are telling me the inlet manifold needs replacing - $700. Car has only 55k on the clock. Fist visit they cleared all the fault codes, 2nd visit sprayed manifold cleaner in , 3rd visit informed me solenoid is working correctly. Now my question, i am using google and can only find 1 solenoid but above posts indicate solenoids/kit which indicates more than 1. Is it worth trying new solenoids? are they expensive? is it easy for a layman with minimum tools and knowhow? Thanks.
jb2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
daryle
Old drag racer

Thanks for prompt reply, will go get them.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #14
daryle
Old drag racer

I know it is quite some time since the fault occurred and only posting in case it helps others. Apparently these cars don't drain the fuel back to the tank when turned off so if the car sits for any extended time the petrol "gums up" and has to be cleaned out of wherever it needs to be done. I know this is a bit vague but i am getting this from my wife. The mechanic had to change the oil as the cleaner goes down into the sump if that is any guide as to what is actually being cleaned out. Fixed the problem.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is correct - the Focus had a returnless fuel system.

If running some fuel system cleaner through the car fixed the issue, the power loss problem was most likely relayed to a fuel system restriction and not the P2008 IMRC solenoid issue.
Old 19-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #16
daryle
Old drag racer

Stupid thing is the power loss was not consistent, it could happen on takeoff (manual) and it was so bad you could get "rear ended" and no it was not a driver manual shift fault. And the engine diagnostic came back with the P2008 fault. I had a disagreement with my wife on this issue cause i could not make it "happen" when i drove it. She put me in the passengers seat and yeah, the problem showed up, so only can assume her "light" driving style versus my more aggressive driving style was the cause. Anyway problem is resolved.
Old 19-03-2017, 10:29 PM   #17
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear it is all sorted!