Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 17-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

Default parts wanted

i recently purchased a 2001 cougar, only has 95000kms on it and drives like a dream, but unfortunately the electric windows on passenger and driver keep playing up, they go down but takes a few goes to get them to go back up, now theyve stopped working all together.
ive been told that it could be the "master switch assembly", if anyone can help with these parts it would be much appreciated.

on a side note last year i had a '99 cougar and had a high speed head on collision on my way to work, i was going 100kph and another car going the same speed drifted into my lane and took me out, all the airbags worked and considering the speed of impact the car kept me alive, spent a couple of months in hospital but on the mend now and driving my new cougar.
so the the cougars are tuff as in a prang

mines the red car
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #2
baz

Default Re: parts wanted

Could be dirty terminals in master switch, which could have blown a fuse that stoped them working, this is only a guess, has happened to me in a ford au.
Baz
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
thearrow

Jeez sorry to read about your accident. I use and recommend Rock Auto for all my parts and have never had a problem. I note though you are in Phillip Island which may be a problem for delivery but the way around it maybe deliver to someone in Melbourne. On the rockauto web site we are listed as Mercury - Cougar.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...0&model=COUGAR

I have tried sourcing parts locally and really they are ridiculously expensive, the only time it was worthwhile was when I needed a new drivers door. At the time I had to get a new mirror assy as well and was quoted A$400 but got one on Ebay USA for $40.00 plus $40.00 shipping.

When ordering parts make sure you get the right one cos you can't return them.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
baz

I live near Phillip Island and have had things delivered from rock auto delivered to my door.
Baz
Old 20-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow View Post
Jeez sorry to read about your accident. I use and recommend Rock Auto for all my parts and have never had a problem. I note though you are in Phillip Island which may be a problem for delivery but the way around it maybe deliver to someone in Melbourne. On the rockauto web site we are listed as Mercury - Cougar.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...0&model=COUGAR

I have tried sourcing parts locally and really they are ridiculously expensive, the only time it was worthwhile was when I needed a new drivers door. At the time I had to get a new mirror assy as well and was quoted A$400 but got one on Ebay USA for $40.00 plus $40.00 shipping.

When ordering parts make sure you get the right one cos you can't return them.
thankyou for your help mate but i found someone whose wrecking a cougar so later in the week ill get the parts, he want $55 for each switch so ill get them i think, i live in Healesville not the island mate
if anyone needs parts from a 2001 model sing out
Old 21-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #6
baz

What colour is the wreck I have a small dent in passenger door mine is silver.
Baz
Old 21-04-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
MarloStanfield
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
What colour is the wreck I have a small dent in passenger door mine is silver.
Baz
youre in luck Baz

wrecking cougar
Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
Thunderbird

The motor was $72+gst at USfordsp.com in the end.. they have a few hundred parts new still. Unfortunately with rockauto being pushed no point in people having parts here ..get them from Rock in 2-3 days apparently as TheArrow keeps indicating and 80% cheaper then even ebay - 10,000% cheaper then Ford..
Why anybody would keep stock of parts in this country is beyond me.. or HOW they can.. especially if the value of the cars are low and morpheting into collector cars to a degree only.. But for suppliers i guess there is really no point in backing up the needs of cougar owners .. unfortunately it does cost money to maintain stock and jobs in this country and like most Ford Dealers are finding out.. stocking costs money so they give up quickly. Just our postal service... try sending a wrong part BACK to Rock.. as somebody just said..its a one way run.. Post costs about 4 time the amount the Yanks charge to get it here with tracking then our poor excuse for a postal service.
Another problem apparently is the cars are now pretty much clunkers to many in the market.. and its lucky Rock can supply something like the motor for US$72.79 + their delivery costs.? especialy when it was costing less the buy it here in the end.

Last edited by Thunderbird; 01-06-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #9
thearrow

Interesting comment about parts.....in all honesty I wouldn't mind paying locally for parts and in fact have ordered parts from USfordsp in the past but their range was limited. Ford Australia will ONLY supply parts for ANY imported Ford vehicle for 10 years so we can forget them.

Rockauto and or Ebay are really our only options even local wreckers are very expensive I have had some success with buying parts (new & used) from the UK as a lot of parts from Cougars were also used on Mondeo's and Ford literally sold 10 x 1000's of them in the UK my car is currently running a brand new aircon compressor from a Mondeo try buying one of them locally.

Cougars were always a low volume import (there were less than 1000) into Australia along with the Mondeo ST24 which had the V6 engine so parts were always going to be an issue.

So really keeping a Cougar on the road is a constant battle.....but worth it I reckon cos there is nothing like it when you hit 4000 rpm..

Old 15-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
Thunderbird

Just tried to order 8 parts from Rockauto.com .. but came back with 6 different dispatch locations... even when I consolidated it.... W.T.H. :-( ..... US$221 in freight for $188 in parts.. your kidding.. don't they carry anything..?? or are they just a computer ordering system linked to manufacturers warehouses... ie a "Virtual supplier"...Do they have a number where I can ring toll free and get advice on my car from them without a long wait from experts?
Tried another company too.. they are the same.. seems nobody actually stocks much..its alright if your after one or two things.. just don't ask for variety - unless you want to pay a squillian for delivery.
Old 15-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
thearrow

I have called them in the past on 1-608-661-1376 this is their customer service number and they were very helpful. You will have to call during office hours their time.

What are you ordering??

Old 15-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Thunderbird

Their shipping does get a bit ridiculous. That's really my only major issue with them. They don't really stock a lot of parts themselves anymore by the looks of it - just like Amazon & Ebay... hence the endless different ship from costs and locations. I don't need to wait for or hunt up 6 different deliveries from that far away.. bad enough just trying to be home for one or get to the post office before it closes..
I just shop around and find the best deal for whatever I can find. Sometimes it's ebay, sometimes its local or the wreckers.
Old 16-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #13
thearrow

I do the same as you Thunderbird, whatever is the most convenient. I have found with Rockauto that you need to experiment when ordering to try and get the parts consolidated out of as few origins as possible. Don't forget all their parts are shipped to Aust. from LAX so in some cases have to find their way from the other side of the US.

As regards their shipping cost as I work in freight forwarding I can tell you it is ridiculously cheap considering it is a door to door service. It only gets expensive when ordering larger parts like body panels and that's when freight forwarding becomes cheaper.

I did this when I had to replace my bonnet their shipping cost was over $2500 whereas I got it for half that.

Hope this helps.