Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
DAVEROX351

Default AU ute overheating at 110 kmh

Hi all.
I have a au ute series 1 6 cyl that starts overheating when I get up around 110kmh. Went into the red the other day so I turned aircon off backed off to 100 and temp went back to qtr. Did this on most slight rises on my trip. I recently had a new radiator installed, block flushed and new coolant added but is still heating up. Had thermo fans checked and they are working ok. Runs cool in traffic. Any ideas . Cheers

DAVEROX351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU ute overheating at 110 kmh

Have you check all the Fan Relays under the bonnet?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It won't have anything to do with the fans, as they're only required when the cars going below 30kph.

Considering you've had a new radiator and flushing done, I'd be looking at the water pump, and maybe even dragging brakes, though you'd probably smell the brakes so unlikely.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as Sox said the fans are only needed at lower speeds, at higher speeds the speed you are doing supplies enough cooling air. sounds like a radiator to me, as speed increases so does the heat generated by the engine and it's reaching the point where the radiator in not keeping up

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I had a similar problem years ago only mine was even more difficult to sort due to the fact that I had everything replaced before the issue arose. New radiator, water pump, thermostat and all hoses, mine still overheated when the engine was put under any sort of load, it was eventually diagnosed to be a faulty thermostat, even new stuff has it faults :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEROX351 View Post
Hi all.
I have a au ute series 1 6 cyl that starts overheating when I get up around 110kmh. Went into the red the other day so I turned aircon off backed off to 100 and temp went back to qtr. Did this on most slight rises on my trip. I recently had a new radiator installed, block flushed and new coolant added but is still heating up. Had thermo fans checked and they are working ok. Runs cool in traffic. Any ideas . Cheers
Dodge 110kph.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post
Dodge 110kph.
Do they make Dodge AU's?
Old 19-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Do they make Dodge AU's?
I saw one the other day that looked pretty Dodgy
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post
Dodge 110kph.
Does'nt QLD have 110 zones. Rest of the country does. mostly around schools for 'P' platers, SUV toting mums and the White van man.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
DAVEROX351

As stated brand new radiator fitted. New thermostat. Brakes not dragging. Fans have all been checked. Haven't looked at waterpump.
Old 20-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

head gasget ok? gauge not giving a false reading? new thermostat faulty? the thermostat is an easy one to check, pull the bastard out and go for a run or , or throw it in boiling water on the stove see if it opens.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
blumx

Time to check the water pump - first check that the belt is tensioned correctly. Watch for for any water leaks at the pump and for any squeaks, rattles or grinding noise etc. If in doubt just replace it.
blumx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
STINKY NINJA
Banned

The thermofans will run if the aircon is on regardless of road speed,if they arent kicking in when the air con is running there wont be enough air being drawn over the condensor and the motor will get hot,is the air con condensor blocked/fins bent and stopping airflow?
Just seems weird you turned the aircon of and the temp dropped,i would have said radiator but if thats new i would look at the fans/aircon.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wht did you have the Cooling system replaced, what went wrong to warrant the repair. If it overheated previously Id suggest a head gasket or cracked engine part that has issues under load.
It could be running lean as a result of a failed sensor, O2 or coolant temp. Or the temp sender is faulty telling you its hot when it isn't actually overheating.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
DAVEROX351

Replaced the radiator etc because it was doing this but not as bad as now. Oil is still good colour so I doubt head. Runs smooth enough.has developed a bit of a grinding noise, thought it might be a pulley. Going in for a service tommorrow so I will get them to check water pump.
Old 20-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Does'nt QLD have 110 zones. Rest of the country does. mostly around schools for 'P' platers, SUV toting mums and the White van man.

JP
Yes, but in QLD you can be confident with a 10% leeway, so run in the 110 zones at 119, too easy!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
DAVEROX351

Mechanic looked at ute today and found one of the fans seized. Water pump seems ok so will fix fan and take it for a spin to see what happens.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mmm i wonder how many k`s these fans run for before they kark it? if you don`t mind DAVEROX351, how many k`s does the ute have on it?
Old 22-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
philbec15

hey there ...if your still overheating..and all the physical stuff like pumps,thermostats and other stuff checks out..then try this (my young fella had this problem on his au 3)check temp sending sensor back of motor...if not that then check the dash gauge..(that is the problem on the au 3)..the temp gauge goes off the dail every now and then so i put a capillary gauge (piggy backed on top of thermostate housing ..I had a spare one modified ) in the car temporalily ....reads the real temp and when it over heats on the dash gauge the capillary gauge reads true....but if you can get ur hands on a laser temp gun when ur gauge reads hot stop and take a reading if temps are good then its ur dash gauge....if that has to be fixed its about $250 to $300 ...the dash cluster has to be re programmed and when it is re installed the coil pack has to be replaced at the same time..as the coil spikes the dash cluster and corrupts the program....hope this helps
philbec15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any update?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #21
DAVEROX351

Sorry for the no reply for a while.
Ended up being one of the thermo fans was seized and had blown the fuse.
Installed a new fan and all is now nice and cool.
Thanks all for the advice and comments.
This is a great site. Cheers
Old 03-08-2017, 03:46 PM   #22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEROX351 View Post
Sorry for the no reply for a while.
Ended up being one of the thermo fans was seized and had blown the fuse.
Installed a new fan and all is now nice and cool.
Thanks all for the advice and comments.
This is a great site. Cheers
How good is this forum?

My young blokes AU ute was doing the same thing. Going up a hill or giving it a bit of a rev through the gears (manual) and the temp would run up to two thirds. Back off and slow down and it would come straight back to the "o" of "normal" where it usually sits.

I gave it a full flush today, checked thermostat and radiator, all good. Had a google search of AU overheating and came up with this thread. After reading it I went back out and checked the thermo fans. Only one working. Swapped a few relays around and now both working and temp staying on "0" under any conditions. Job done!
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post