Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

Smile EF XR6 is this becoming rare?

Hi guys

I’ve Just inherited a 95 EF XR6 auto in chilli red with 232000kms with the optional cruise 16” wheels and ford tow bar it’s very original over all with minor wear and tear,only thing not original is the stereo and speakers was curious to know if this vehicle would be worth much on the market..

Regards Michael
Skatewaverider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: EF XR6 is this becoming rare?

How clean is it?

Any panel damage?

Service history?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

For its age I’d say it’s very tidy doesn’t have books unfortunately but I have all the receipts for the vehicle with work done over the years,there is only one small dent around the size of a 50c piece on the rear wheel arch which is hardly noticeable,very minor scratches over the years most of which I have polished out..
Old 17-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Rare or desirable?
I'd say rareish due to the EF being 20 odd years old now.
Would be more desirable in manual form for obvious reasons.
Does it have the full Tickford body kit?

They were a great car for their day and a nice one will still draw attention to those who remember them from the era.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

Nah it doesn’t have the body kit either,yes a Manual I’d imagine would also be more of a wanted thing being the type of car
Old 17-10-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EF, EL and AU have in my opinion aged the best of any Falcon models. Hard to believe it’s been over 20 years since release!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I used to own an EF Tickford Futura which I bought brand new in 1995, and it was a great car to drive, especially loved the larger and more comfy seats compared to the modern day Falcons.

However, I always admired the EF XR6 though... I think the distinctive round sunken headlights and two bonnet scoops really set it apart from the standard EF Falcons.... They were a real head turner in its day!

The white ones looked great with the red rubber moulding strips down the sides as well.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No body kit then not worth much

That's it's signature, it's reason of being and also if any admirer would buy it for a decent price

Since doesnt have the body kit, can it be proven it's a XR6 or a mock-up?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 12:44 AM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I used to own an EF Tickford Futura which I bought brand new in 1995, and it was a great car to drive, especially loved the larger and more comfy seats compared to the modern day Falcons.

However, I always admired the EF XR6 though... I think the distinctive round sunken headlights and two bonnet scoops really set it apart from the standard EF Falcons.... They were a real head turner in its day!

The white ones looked great with the red rubber moulding strips down the sides as well.
Not really any such thing as a Tickford Futura, if it was on gas it probably had the Parnell gas system which was considered a Tickford accessory and received a Tickford build plate but without the quad headlight front end it isn't recognised as a Tickford car and wouldn't have had the 'wings' from the factory.
The same as the 185i VS Commodore SS etc. which although tickled by HSV weren't genuine HSV products in the same vein as Manta, Clubsport, Senator etc. No HSV badging other than the HSV enhanced badge, a build plate and 185i decals.
Old 18-10-2017, 12:54 AM   #10
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

The body kit was an optional extra from ford,you can check with ford if it’s genuine by the vin number as I have already done..
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatewaverider View Post
The body kit was an optional extra from ford,you can check with ford if it’s genuine by the vin number as I have already done..
Agreed, you could option a Fairmont Ghia with a body kit, it wasn't XR specific or part of the XR spec sheet unless requested via ticking the box.
The way I discovered this forum was when I purchased an EF XR8 with OPT20 on the build plate, it was a genuine XR8 without the kit and so after googling OPT20 I found the info here that it was an ex chaser.

Last edited by BENT_8; 18-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 18-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #12
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not really any such thing as a Tickford Futura, if it was on gas it probably had the Parnell gas system which was considered a Tickford accessory and received a Tickford build plate but without the quad headlight front end it isn't recognised as a Tickford car and wouldn't have had the 'wings' from the factory.
The same as the 185i VS Commodore SS etc. which although tickled by HSV weren't genuine HSV products in the same vein as Manta, Clubsport, Senator etc. No HSV badging other than the HSV enhanced badge, a build plate and 185i decals.
Sorry mean't to say it was a Tickford Dual fuel built Futura with build plate.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

These are being parted a fair bit as they are still currently worth more in bits than as a whole.

Hold on to it, as the e-series market will bounce soon.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And remember the EF XR6 right up to AU was quicker than the Windsor 4.9 V8 too.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't hold onto a 232000kms car for Financial Interest, You would get more on a term deposit for a lot less hassle.
If you have a love of the car that's different.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #16
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

Yeah interesting I did read in an old wheels magazine that the XR6 was faster I was more surprised that the XR8 actually only made an extra 6kws thought that was unusual
Old 18-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Sorry mean't to say it was a Tickford Dual fuel built Futura with build plate.
I'm not sure if that's sarcasm, but... that's what it is isn't it, I'm just pointing it out because its not the first time that someone has made that claim.
I had one too, it was dark green with red inserts in the bumpers etc, and when I went in to buy it the salesman made a point of making sure I knew it wasn't a genuine Tickford vehicle as we know them, ok.
Old 18-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBFWagon View Post
And remember the EF XR6 right up to AU was quicker than the Windsor 4.9 V8 too.
I always thought the 185kw EL2 returned the Windsor to the top of the time charts.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #19
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I always thought the 185kw EL2 returned the Windsor to the top of the time charts.
it did
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good original unmolested E series XR6's in good condition are worth hanging on to regardless of KM. The manual box makes it even more desirable. Do a search and see how many untouched manual ones are for sale, very hard to come by. If you can pack it away or use it minimally and look after it I'd be keeping it
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #21
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
No body kit then not worth much

That's it's signature, it's reason of being and also if any admirer would buy it for a decent price

Since doesnt have the body kit, can it be proven it's a XR6 or a mock-up?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352]
You could wack the EF body kit on a GL Falcon. The signature for an EF XR6 would be it's unique bonnet nose cone/headlights, red rocker cover + Tickford badge on intake plenum and hard to determine, different head, interior (different seats and dash etc).

I had a manual EF XR6 back in the day, damn lovely car that felt smaller than it was. Preferred it's styling to the EL XR's. Never liked the body kit though.

Nearly traded it on an auto EL XR8 but after I drove the EL, it was a slug in comparison so didn't go for it. I think the manual really made it a different animal, wouldn't mind getting that car back actually!
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #22
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One thing the Commodore S's did seem to have over the XR's is the red strips seemed to stay that colour over many years. The XR's always go pink.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #23
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
You could wack the EF body kit on a GL Falcon. The signature for an EF XR6 would be it's unique bonnet nose cone/headlights, red rocker cover + Tickford badge on intake plenum and hard to determine, different head, interior (different seats and dash etc).

I had a manual EF XR6 back in the day, damn lovely car that felt smaller than it was. Preferred it's styling to the EL XR's. Never liked the body kit though.

Nearly traded it on an auto EL XR8 but after I drove the EL, it was a slug in comparison so didn't go for it. I think the manual really made it a different animal, wouldn't mind getting that car back actually!

Not very hard to determine if you take the plastic power steering cover off and check for the proper Tickford badge stamped on the front of the head.

The XR6 head had bigger valves and different porting than stock EF Falcon which is why they went so much better than stock futura's and the Windsors.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #24
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hold onto EF-EL XR6, they are like finding an XW-XY GS Fairmont 6 in the 1990s... No one wanted those then, look at them now. The EF-EL also have body striping, just like the GS of old. Engineering wise, they are much better cars, the GS series had nothing on the Tickfords for chassis tuning. Love the ELs myself & auto would be fine as I already have the manual Sprint for the involvement/scaring one's self thrills. Ford Forums should do a group thread on the EBII S-XR6, ED,EF,EL XR6 we've put away for posterity, so they don't all get parted out!
Old 20-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Don't like to put a dampener on any Fords and I have a nice EL2 XR8 daily driver myself which I like for comfort (better driving position than AU) and appearance.

But go the E series Owners Club facebook site and see how many are changing hands for peanuts. XR's included. You can't give some parts away. People actually advertise to get spares for free. I took a a heap of stuff to scrap metal the other day after keeping it in storage thinking it was going to be hard to come by.Only are few items like front blinkers bring any decent money

Yes they are a nice car to drive and handle well. But the brakes are weak and half the non turbo 4's will keep up with you off the lights and any turbo 4 will see you off while your 4l or 5L drinks fuel like a drunken sailor. Future collectability factor not good IMO
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #26
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

Bahahahaha funny you say that we also have a Honda Accord euro 2.4L manual. 6 speed and this thing no kidding would probably almost take the xr6 off,in fact according to wheels books the xr does 0-100 in 7.5 the Accord in 7.8 😂
Old 20-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #27
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

It's worth $2500 maximum. That's if it's in great condition.

As FTe noted, E series are cheap.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #28
Skatewaverider
Starter Motor

I wonder then what makes the one on carsales so special at $75000
Old 20-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #29
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatewaverider View Post
I wonder then what makes the one on carsales so special at $75000
$72500 worth of coke in the boot maybe?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 08:17 PM   #30
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup, all of that happened to the XW-Y in the 90's from parts being worthless to newer cars being faster off the mark, look at them now...