Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #121
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Default Re: Will AU XR8 220's be a collectable car.

My ugly AU XR8 220kw Auto fully optional in Narooma Blue

BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM   #122
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU-220 View Post
My ugly AU XR8 220kw Auto fully optional in Narooma Blue

Yes hang your head in shame

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #123
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Those Victorian plates are just plain ugly.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM   #124
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Cool Re: Will AU XR8 220's be a collectable car.

Well I know one of these will be..

UK
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2017, 07:54 PM   #125
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU's will never be collectable imo

I love my wagon, but im well aware the styling is unusual, the rest of the population is repulsed by it.
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #126
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
AU's will never be collectable imo

I love my wagon, but im well aware the styling is unusual, the rest of the population is repulsed by it.
I'm in agreeance with you. Personally love everything about au's but we sicko's are just a small bunch of the population and i can't see prices going up from where they are now
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #127
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

There were a couple of nice low km 220s on carsales in Canberra recently, both listed at 12,000 and both sold without any price drops so I would assume they got close to the asking price. Decent coin for a 15+ year old car. I think they will hold their value if kept in good orig. condition with not too many kms.

200s are a fair bit cheaper, especially autos. Series 1s are unloved and can be had for a song...
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2019, 11:35 PM   #128
Quietstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Yes hang your head in shame

UK
Thats disgusting, hurts eyes.........

...Do yourself a favour and Sell it to me immediately for an exorbitantly low amount of money.!
Quietstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM   #129
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietstorm View Post
Thats disgusting, hurts eyes.........

...Do yourself a favour and Sell it to me immediately for an exorbitantly low amount of money.!
You'll have to wait in line ... I am pretty sure I told him $250 ... and he delivers as well
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #130
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thought I’d chime in here. I think they are becoming collectible now but I don’t think they will become really expensive in time (over 30k). I think right now they are a really good bang for buck car, for me the last of the Fords that were drivers cars. Add that not many sold because it was so ugly and you get a desirable car.

I’ve been lookin for 4 years for a good clean manual S3 XR8. I’ve looked at heaps of cars and not found a single one in great condition. With only 300 made some may say it won’t happen at my price point which was 15k for the right car. It’s funny though, I’ve seen 5 P250 utes and countless T series come up in that time but no good manual S3 XR8s.

I put it down to affordability, kids bought the XR8s when they were affordable and now good examples are hard to come by as the kids thrashed them. Kids didn’t buy the P250s abd T series as they were not affordable.

I’ve had heaps of people contact me and say they want 15k for theirs which is in average condition, no way, the market isn’t at that point yet. I noticed two nice autos went on Carsales for around 15-17k 6 months ago then everyone thought that’s what they were fetching, now there is a few and not one of them has sold at that price point.

I’d be surprised if someone paid 20k for an AUXR8, that’s T series and B series GT territory

No one is selling the manuals because they know what a great thing they are, leaps and bounds over the BA and a much funner car to drive.

They are already sought after, question is, how much will the market start paying?
Old 06-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #131
Pooka
Shapeshifter

My 2c. I actually believe the AUII/III XR8 utes will be (if not already) more sort after than the sedans. Heck, the XR utes out sold the XR sedans in every year of the AU release. If my memory is correct, the AUII XR ute sold twice the number of the AUII XR sedans.

The utes are more simple and have way less rust than the sedans do now. The AU utes are still one of, if not the best workhorse Ford Australia released. The XF ute is a close second. That's just my 2c.

What is the market like for an AUII/III XR8 ute vs an AUII/III XR8 sedan, in the same condition, same kilometres for example? Serious question as I have not kept up with the AU XR8 prices.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #132
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

I had a nice Series III that I sold to a fellow member a couple of years ago.

Silhouette, 5 speed manual, leather and momo interior, FTR bodykit, speedline rebel rims and Tickford brakes.

98,000 kms on the clock it drove like new - gee I miss it !
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #133
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doddy View Post
My 2c. I actually believe the AUII/III XR8 utes will be (if not already) more sort after than the sedans. Heck, the XR utes out sold the XR sedans in every year of the AU release. If my memory is correct, the AUII XR ute sold twice the number of the AUII XR sedans.

The utes are more simple and have way less rust than the sedans do now. The AU utes are still one of, if not the best workhorse Ford Australia released. The XF ute is a close second. That's just my 2c.

What is the market like for an AUII/III XR8 ute vs an AUII/III XR8 sedan, in the same condition, same kilometres for example? Serious question as I have not kept up with the AU XR8 prices.
Utes are fetching less than S3 sedans, they seem to pop up for 8-10k in excellent condition and sell soon after.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #134
Pooka
Shapeshifter

Just did a quick search on carsales.com.au for AU XR8 utes and XR8 sedans for sale. There's 5 XR8 utes, and 7 XR8 sedans. That's Australia wide. Seems like not many for sale at the moment.

XR8 utes:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/res...srcx=makemodel

XR8 Sedans:

Is carsales not the in thing these days? Where do the sales happen for AU's?
fordomatic, where did you advertise Congo for it to sell in 30min?
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #135
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Doddy View Post
Just did a quick search on carsales.com.au for AU XR8 utes and XR8 sedans for sale. There's 5 XR8 utes, and 7 XR8 sedans. That's Australia wide. Seems like not many for sale at the moment.

XR8 utes:

XR8 Sedans:

Is carsales not the in thing these days? Where do the sales happen for AU's?
fordomatic, where did you advertise Congo for it to sell in 30min?
No one selling mate, there has been times in the last year where not a single AU3 XR8 ute or sedan were for sale on Carsales.

Those sedans have been on there for months too, when they pop up around 8-12k they sell within a few weeks usually.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #136
Ken Wilson
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr4ce View Post
I had a nice Series III that I sold to a fellow member a couple of years ago.

Silhouette, 5 speed manual, leather and momo interior, FTR bodykit, speedline rebel rims and Tickford brakes.

98,000 kms on the clock it drove like new - gee I miss it !
I still have it, such a great drivers car. It has just hit 100,000 kms, and is stored most of the time.
Ken Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 PM   #137
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wilson View Post
I still have it, such a great drivers car. It has just hit 100,000 kms, and is stored most of the time.
Need to drive it more mate, I drove my last car only 3,000km in two years, regret it now. Cars are for enjoying, especially a car that’s not worth a fortune.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:17 AM   #138
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wilson View Post

Thanks Ken - I knew it went to a good home.

Glad to hear that your still enjoying the car.
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 AM   #139
Venomous1
5.0 means business

The best part is driving these been doing more in my ute lately and hit 110 000 recently.
I reckon the utes will be worth more as they have been driven hard and used for hard work.
So neat examples are getting thin.

Manual Leather and optioned up will be the go to.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #140
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Time to bring this thread back alive. Good examples are pulling really good money at the moment. Seen a couple pop up on carsales recently and go within 24 hours. One was a S3 XR8 auto with 90,000km and blueprint for 14k and the other was a manual S3 XR8 in silver (no rebel bodykit) with 160k for 15k, both gone within the day. COVID doesn't seem to be having an effect, if anything I think it's working in their favour as people are cashing their super to buy toys.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #141
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Time to bring this thread back alive. Good examples are pulling really good money at the moment. Seen a couple pop up on carsales recently and go within 24 hours. One was a S3 XR8 auto with 90,000km and blueprint for 14k and the other was a manual S3 XR8 in silver (no rebel bodykit) with 160k for 15k, both gone within the day. COVID doesn't seem to be having an effect, if anything I think it's working in their favour as people are cashing their super to buy toys.
Good for current owners looking to sell, not good for the long term economic stability for the individual or country.

I must admit I was looking for and hoping it would crash, that may still come depending on GovCo policy but I have noticed alot more toys for sale in the last week or so, I dont think its champagne time yet.

Good cars typically get good money, but we haven't really lived through a proper crash yet so the next couple of months will be telling.

I note a lack of T series and S1 XR8's for sale though.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #142
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

I note a lack of T series and S1 XR8's for sale though.
Yeh, I think in a few more months we will start to see the downturn, I think as soon as the government stops the stimulus payments we will hurt.

Funny you say about T series. There have actually been heaps but as soon as they go up they are selling. There was 5 T3's for sale at the start of COVID 2 were very rough and had been for sale for years, sold the week the lockdown began. A few T3's sold recently for very high prices (over 40k). There is a few T2's at 30k right now but the market isn't close to that money yet imo. Such a weird market right now.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #143
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yer the market is active thats for sure.
I keep checking as well for the heck especially AU's.
Originally Sept was the stimulus cut off but we shall see considering what has been going on of late.
Infections could blow elsewhere anytime - more lockdowns like occuring in Melb will really challenge the Gov what moves next to do or not.
Those taking out their Super and IF buying a TOY are mad but thats my pov.
They are on a sliding scale period.
Talk about making more use of the AU, I haven't turned a wheel in my T3 for over a year I guessing, I think he's on 143clicks, need to make time to get the cover off service it and blow its cobwebs off !
By the look of it could make a good buck selling it to dillusional Super spender lol.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #144
MustangStevo63

FWIW............. Mine being a AU3 XR8 200 ute (no 220's in the utes despite what anyone says) very few on the ground now and whats left are getting up in price, i'm holding for the long haul and these will definitely keep appreciating ....
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #145
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old 220 next to the GT-P. Was fun driving them back to back for 6 months. They both had their strengths and weaknesses.

Would of liked to keep both cars but life does get in the way.

And one more on its lonesome.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2020, 06:48 PM   #146
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I think that XR8 220s will always be desirable to those that are AU fans. They are the working/family man AU. They give you most of the thrills and noises that a T series does just for a lot less money.

The problem is that one of the things that made them so popular was that they were great bang for buck. Now that they are getting up in price they are no longer the great value they were five or so years ago.

On the other and, I hope they go up in price. For those of you that don't know, I have a XR8 220 (though it is a Series 2 and not a 3). It's manual and the only option that it doesn't have is the Tickford brakes. The downside is that I have made some mods to it (mainly just trim, brakes and suspension - the motor has not been touched) but they are all reversible. It does really need to be re-painted at some stage though but is completely rust free - even behind the tail lights.

Oh, and it has 280,000ks, I drive it and don't care what it is worth, I bought it to enjoy.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 AM   #147
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

PG there is certainly freedom in not driving a concourse car. I agree with your thoughts and it really depends what you want to do.

Those who drive a car once a month if lucky are probably suited to the minter, low km and high $$ cars. Those who daily or use regularly would waste that condition as such.

This is the reason i doubt I will do a full resto on my ZF, I have no issues driving it anywhere, across gravel, to Coles etc. I care deeply for it but I am not paranoid.

But as they say, cars are built to be driven, so enjoy and drive.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #148
El Sucio

Bringing this back, I've just picked up a 310k km country run 2001 manual XR8 ute. $6k. Interior, exterior and engine need work, suspension and driveline surprising perfect, not a squeak out of it or shunt. I've got the budget sorted out and am intending to bring it back to as close to factory look as possible, with the exception of sneaking a few more ponies into the freshened up motor (retain factory rocker covers).

I was looking for a fixer upper BA or AU ute, I have had a couple BA/FG v8s over the last decade or so. A mate of mine convinced me to go AU XR mainly due to being the last of the Windsor, as well as being less seen on the roads these days or at shows.

The AU feels so much lighter handling wise, really tell the difference back to back. The drive train shunt in the BAs I test drove were horrid.

Hopefully I can do it justice.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #149
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The windsor must be a fair bit lighter.

With some alloy heads it can be better again.

And the entire front end would be a bit lighter also, theres a bit less car there than the later ones.

I dont have an XR8 ute but I have a v8 povo one ton ute, which i doubt there are too many of, most are 6 cyl. Factory manual also. (although i put a fairlane auto box and ECU and BCM in it now, it can be returned to manual if I wanted)

520,000 km, work/tow mule. Last owner did put the XR bumper on it.

The windsor is so simple and inexpensive to maintain, and the car is light, I dont want to upgrade it to a newer mule as I feel id be going backwards in many respects.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #150
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Been offered 27.5k for my Rebel that has 140,000km, manual, all original.

People are paying big $ now for the right cars. The catch is, the ones fetching big $ have lower kms, great paint and are clean and tidy.

I’d put a S3 XR8 with around 100,000 - 200,000km at 15-22k