Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Bayson
Banned

Default Would you buy a last aussie commodore?

When i bought my fgx xr8 i bought a late 15 model. I honestly thought that as we got closer to final builds staff would care less and less.. surely they are more worried about their future than screwing together a falcon. They have commitments and bills to pay after all. As in any business if you dont buy into the employees, they arent likely to buy in..it has to weigh on them more and more the closer to closure.

If you were on the titanic, as its sinking would you worry if the crockery was clean? Toilet seat down? Not much different at ford or holden id say, self preservation will impact their behaviour.

With regard to last aussie commodore, holden HR department have openly said to employees its better to jump early in order secure a job than wait to closure..

Other businesses have even come into holden manufacturing, invited in fact to poach the best employees. They have been let go with holdens blessings ahead of closure..encouraged by holden HR.

So if all the good employees are going first and holden are proactive in finding work for these people (which is a great initiative from holden), who is left to screw together the last cars?

Id be real nervous if i was waiting for a last build car, all the best employees with "know how" are already gone, they prob have anyone they can find to finish the last cars, all of em "Friday afternoon cars"

I think they are nice cars but id absolutely prefer a 16 build vf commodore over a 17 build.

Like the fgx, surely the 15 builds would be better.

Last edited by Bayson; 18-10-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Would you buy a last aussie commodore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayson View Post
If you were on the titanic, as its sinking would you worry if the crockery was clean? Not much different at ford or holden id say
Your comparing wether to clean the crockery and drown against making sure that screw is fastened, do you think the production line workers will die if they hang around to complete the task...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

**** yeah, I so would!

It was reported just the other day that quality control recently has never been higher. In August 98% of cars had zero issues which was best result the plant has ever had and was best in the GM world that month. They say the workers are building the last cars like they are their own (in many cases they are employee cars), and they realise many of these will be going to Holden enthusiasts and they don't want to let them down. Guess things have also slowed down too giving them time and opportunity to get it right.

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 18-10-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

There could be some merit to what you say.

I bought one of the last FG MKII's (late August 14 build), before they ceased production and went on to the FGXs.

While the FGX is no doubt a better car in styling in my opinion and having nicities such as Sync 2, etc, I feel Ford sorted most of the issues and bugs out in the long running (since 2008) FG series in the final production years and later MkII's.

My FG MKII has never missed a beat in over 3 years and 104,000Kms since I bought it new... Not even a rattle anywhere!

I know friends however who bought the FGX and have had quality problems since day one.

However I do feel that with locally produced cars the quality can vary between cars a lot and it's the luck of the draw whether you get a good one or not.

Maybe there is some truth in the joke about never to buy a car built or finished on a Friday.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if those who stick around till the last day receive a nice redundancy package, where as those who jump ship early miss out?

Could be incentive to stay.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Most of the work is robotics, what skills are you really losing by some people departing early.

Yes I would buy one of the last if I had spare coin, I think most of the workers would be proud to the end.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Holden and Toyota had their highest quality ratings ever. So your question is redundant.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Would rather a last aussie Aurion. Vehemently disliked all things Toyota and what it stood for (sensible, reliable, whitegoods on wheels), but having driven some of its products from the last 5 years, they really have lifted their game and it's difficult to fault them at what they do best, affordable reliable motoring. They finally managed to put together a nice looking, comfortable interior, a far cry from the horrendous cheap lunch box interiors of the 90s and into the late 00s. They don't groan, squeak, clunk or vibrate like Holdens or Fords do from new and even at low kms.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Would rather a last aussie Aurion. Vehemently disliked all things Toyota and what it stood for (sensible, reliable, whitegoods on wheels), but having driven some of its products from the last 5 years, they really have lifted their game and it's difficult to fault them at what they do best, affordable reliable motoring. They finally managed to put together a nice looking, comfortable interior, a far cry from the horrendous cheap lunch box interiors of the 90s and into the late 00s. They don't groan, squeak, clunk or vibrate like Holdens or Fords do from new and even at low kms.
Ok, ok... so with this newly acquired Toyota love, which is it, you just turned 60 or you just joined a lawn bowls league?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep totally would. One of the last wagons. Anything VF-VF2 if it was clean would be OK, to match the VY wagon my Dad bought new & loved so much.
Old 19-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #11
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

See my signature.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you were on the titanic, as its sinking would you worry if the crockery was clean? Toilet seat down?
You have raised a valid concern. There are examples in the business literature of atrocious quality control as business wound down. An example that springs to mind is the Foxmeyer (a pharmaceuticals company based in the USA), when the company went bankrupt after the introduction of a new computer system. The employees were deliberately sabotaging products as the rolled off the line.

However, there are other examples of employees doing their best work as the factory closed down. Such behaviours have a lot to do with the factory culture. From all reports, the Holden workers are doing some of their best workmanship ever.

My answer to your question is, no (edit: as in no concerns). I have no concerns (from a quality control perspective) of buying one of the last Commodores. I would be more than happy to buy one of the last Commodores. As I have said elsewhere … the decision to buy a one of the last Falcons or Commodores (or Aurion if you must) should be seen as an emotional decision, and not one that is expected to provide a financial return at some future point.

As an aside, one of the worst cars I have owned (from a quality control perspective) was one of early G6E to roll down the line. Great to drive, but it was back at the dealer every second month with one type of issue or another …

Last edited by whynot; 19-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Just a heads up on the VF commonwhore. If your reverse camera goes blank, as in no picture but the lines are still there, we need to take it back to holdon for a update. It's happened to one of our hearses I built. Spent hours rechecking wiring, ended up ringing the local holdon dealer

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

https://imgur.com/a/BQHE9

There she is...

The final end of an era in oz manufacturing.

Red or blue, it's a sad day.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #15
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
https://imgur.com/a/BQHE9

There she is...

The final end of an era in oz manufacturing.

Red or blue, it's a sad day.
They should have painted it the same colour as the first Holden 48-215.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #16
Bayson
Banned

No doubt its sad they stop production. No disputing this.

But the fact is that holden have been openly working with their employees to find other work.. the best employees are long gone. For those that remain they must be thinking about their futures, how they will pay their kids school fees, not worried about screwing together a commodore for an employer leaving them in the lurch.

Holden (and ford) have really tugged the emotional heart strings to move the last cars, consumers should be boycotting them for abandoning australian workers and then tomorrow selling us imported cars to make more money . hoodwinked us.

These cars need people to check quality issues. They cannot be serious if they think quality is as good as it would have been a year ago. No way.

My fgx xr8 has its motor initialled and built by the head of motor building at ford. Im proud of that. To say people have no input to the quality of these cars??

The last cars have to be compromised.
Old 19-10-2017, 11:57 PM   #17
Bayson
Banned

If you were out to sea and the ship captain said to you (gun to your head) walk the plank (into the unknown sea) but..... then stopped you and said actually first can you screw this commodore together?

Whats your frame of mind? Yeah ill do my best for the same person who is about to turf you?
Old 20-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #18
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
By the same token the FGX XR8s built in 2015 would have been built by people with similar tensions at play.

And my FGX XR8, built May 2015, is still tight, no noises-nada -nothing-no dashboard squeeks, with 45,000 km on it of driving- including a track day and all sorts of spirited runs. It is clear to me that the guys who built my car took special care with it- soo tight.

Aside from the rear spoiler screw coming out, the only problems I have had have been self created (wearing out front rotors prematurely, burring the rear diff fill in screw when changing diff oil) etc.

Lately I have been driving my daughters Honda Civic and when I hop in my FGX XR8 I am blown away how tight and solid it is with the km and driving and abuse I have put the machine through.

If the last Commodores are built to match the way my machine is-I would have not one concern.

My FGX XR8 is the best built car I have ever had......and that was built by people knowing they only had another 1.4 years employment left....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #19
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want one of the last Commodores you would buy it regardless if they had some quality issues... did that with my FGX, bought it sight unseen because i wanted it ....if you have any small issues most can be corrected easily
simple decision

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got one of the very last xr8s.

Like asagaai, mine is faultless and has been driven the way God intended.
Not a squeak out of her, just a screaming engine.

I've had one parking sensor fail.

Would I buy the last Holden if I were a fan? You betcha.

I think the workers heart and soul goes into the last cars, they will never get to do it again.

EDIT: by last I mean last few runs down the line, not literally.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 20-10-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 04:41 PM   #21
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have...lol... Im eagerly awaiting its arrival and delivery... Mine was built end of September and am I worried about Quality issues? Not at all.. I am looking forward to enjoying many years of V8 powered Goodness in one of the last (and Best) of the Breed (I also put the FGX Xr8/XR6T in the same category) for many years.. This car will stay with me until I can give it to me son when he comes of age....

Mine is an SSV Redline Manual in Son of a Gun Grey with the Optional Forged 20's and standard Lip Spoiler is what I ended up with... This will be joined by (when/if I can find one) a late FG2 FPV F6 in Manual (My favourite Ford)

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #22
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Last year I bought a new May 2016 build Calais V.

At the time I had thoughts of waiting for the MY17 but even though my traded G6E was in good shape it's value was continuing to diminish.

Had my trade been 12 months newer I would have waited but don't regret the decision.

Whether the build quality of the '17 model would be compromised didn't enter into my decision making.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

But the fact is that holden have been openly working with their employees to find other work.. the best employees are long gone. For those that remain they must be thinking about their futures, how they will pay their kids school fees, not worried about screwing together a commodore for an employer leaving them in the lurch.

Holden (and ford) have really tugged the emotional heart strings to move the last cars, consumers should be boycotting them for abandoning australian workers and then tomorrow selling us imported cars to make more money . hoodwinked us.

These cars need people to check quality issues. They cannot be serious if they think quality is as good as it would have been a year ago. No way.

My fgx xr8 has its motor initialled and built by the head of motor building at ford. Im proud of that. To say people have no input to the quality of these cars??

You couldn't be more wrong. Before I was re-deployed to the proving ground I went through it in the engine plant. When you are working you are not thinking about losing your job and forgetting what you are doing. It doesn't work like that. And if anything it was the best, most passionate people who stayed around to the end, and there were quality bonuses to be paid on redundancy as well, so no one wanted to let the side down. I wasn't there at the end but I know the cars built at the end would have been just as good as a year before. The people were so experienced that the job becomes automatic, and not building that many cars meant they had plenty of time fixing any issues. Not like it was when the line was running full steam back in the day when you were under the pump just making the daily quota.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 01:31 AM   #24
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Wasn’t long ago anyone suggesting such sacrilege as the purchase of an SS would’ve been shot. One thing positive out of all this negative is levelling the field and making many look at what we all had without the badge bias. We had some awesome cars that were ours designed and build by proud Aussies. And right now is our last chance to snap up what remains. Like it or not VF2 is the pinnacle and Holden retained the development inertia that Ford unfortunately abandoned late in the piece. Let the badge cloud your judgement and you’ll look back and have plenty to cuss about.

If you don’t have your ideal Ford in your drive now snap up what you can Redline especially is a fine car (though I still can’t get past the thought of a pushrod in 2017 only GM could get away with that) as by the time you stop seeing shadows the ship will have sailed on finding a new one. You can always leverage that 7 year warranty currently offered....though as bossxr8 reports from actual experience it’s less likely you’d need it not more.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #25
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
..........snap up what you can Redline especially is a fine car (though I still can’t get past the thought of a pushrod in 2017 only GM could get away with that)..........
Doesn't Dodge still utilise pushrods for it's Hemi V8's including the Hellcat?

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #26
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Sorry it was late and I was a bit short in my reply and should’ve said Holden . I was only thinking of the Holden Ford relativity in Australian journalism ...I always thought if FoA had of persisted with a pushrod offering it’d have been mentioned in every article written subsequently if Holden had switched to a quad cam offering.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #27
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You obviously build theories and not cars. Cars are built to quality standard and i can guarantee that you wont be able to find any quality differences between different year builds.
If you you look at different FG XR8s can you tell who installed the engine ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #28
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all . I have always preferred Falcons over Commodores and Kingswoods , no real logic to that and always just loved being considered a Blue Tribe member. Dad had Fords but he really liked his HX Kingswood too . I actually don't mind at all the VF . It's a bloody good car and yes if I had to have one in the shed it would not be a problem .
Also though owning a FG XR6 with the Barra ,any VF Commodore would have to be the V8. The Holden V6 isn't in the same league as the Barra , not N/A and absolutely not with the Turbo
Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #29
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Not a Commodore, but I have bought a new Caprice, Son of a Gun grey. Will be getting it mid-November. Am I concerned about quality in relation to any other Holden built over the last 5 years, nope.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #30
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
Not a Commodore, but I have bought a new Caprice, Son of a Gun grey. Will be getting it mid-November. Am I concerned about quality in relation to any other Holden built over the last 5 years, nope.
So much want for one of them in that colour.

On Monday there was a burst water main out that way...traffic report guy on radio says "Watch out for delays due to burst water main near the old Holden factory". Was sad hearing it referred to that way within 3 ****ing days.

VA Prototype:

Last 'real' Commodore:

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 25-10-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post