Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Thumbs down mondeo XR5 is dead!

Ford have announced that mondeo XR5 is no longer being imported.

Not sure what effect not have a 'hero' car in the line up will have :

2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

XR5 Turbo dead

Territory Ghia Turbo dead

whats going on ford... :S
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The XR5 is a de-specced manual Titanium Turbo, I wonder if theyll just offer the turbo option on that instead of a seperate model?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
The XR5 is a de-specced manual Titanium Turbo, I wonder if theyll just offer the turbo option on that instead of a seperate model?

In short, No.

The engine is being discontinued in Mondeo for Australia.
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
XR5 Turbo dead

Territory Ghia Turbo dead

whats going on ford... :S
I hadnt read that one anywhere, but they hadnt got it to EUROIV like the N/A version yet....which did make me wonder
Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I thought the 5T was going to be discontinued, perhaps getting in early?

Shame its a nice car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Maybe something to do with the Volvo sale. Thought it was one of their engines.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The Tezz turbo is being dropped as the diesel engine will be more powerful.

A shame about no turbo option on Mondeo but already Im seeing more Titatiums on the road as opposed to the rebadged despecced Titanium/XR5. I think Ford have figured out what wil sell better. Volvo being sold off means Ford will run their own ecoboost turbo engines in the STs I dont know if that factors into this right now as well.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
warren77

Can't find any formal notification of this...anyone got a link?

edit: typo
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Can't find any formal notification of this...anyone got a link?

edit: typo

None that I can publish... if you know what I mean.

My initial post should have read 'Ford have announced to dealers.....'
Old 04-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

That's strange, its not as if the 2.5T engine won't meet Euro4 emissions!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Has anyone confirmed that engine will live on in the next mondeo update (in europe?). Not so much the volvo sale but we know the 2.0T will come out in the focus ST (XR5T) so either it will also come out in the mondeo titanium or ford will drop the turbo titanium too??? Either was hardly a big seller esp with the new titanium models and i think the only reason it came here in the first place was to offer an 'up market' more powerful model. With the 2.3 being replaced by the a detuned 2.0T (probably) as the standard aus spec 4pot engine it will have more than enough grunt (think 280-300nm) so ford would not be interested in bringing in a manual only 2.5 5pot. I think the XR5T commonality was one of the reasons it got here at all....it hardly suits the XR brand anyway....

For the record, i think its a great car just making the market position argument....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #13
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
The Tezz turbo is being dropped as the diesel engine will be more powerful......
LOL, not if they fit the 2.7 it won't, which seems to be the most likely engine at the moment, sorry but 'maybe' 130kw and 'maybe' 400nm won't match the 245/480 currently on offer in the TTG. Don't get me wrong nobody is a bigger fan of modern diesels than I am but the LR castoff 2.7 won't be much of a performance option in the terry, certainly won't compete with the current T6.

Now if they were to fit the 3.0 or even (as if) the 4.0TTV8 than were talkin..... giddy up!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #14
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
That's strange, its not as if the 2.5T engine won't meet Euro4 emissions!
..... at the end of the day Ford Aus will do what Ford Aus always does....... "what ever the %$#@ they want" regardless of their customers wants or needs.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
The Tezz turbo is being dropped as the diesel engine will be more powerful.

A shame about no turbo option on Mondeo but already Im seeing more Titatiums on the road as opposed to the rebadged despecced Titanium/XR5. I think Ford have figured out what wil sell better. Volvo being sold off means Ford will run their own ecoboost turbo engines in the STs I dont know if that factors into this right now as well.
Pfft the Turbo Diesel wont be as quick as the standard petrol let alone the T6...

Its a sad day in Ford land, just after we got acustom to these exciting cars and a bit of variety its all over. Thats what happens when people hate a particular brand, im sick of trying to defend Ford to people, its just hard work.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Pfft the Turbo Diesel wont be as quick as the standard petrol let alone the T6...

Its a sad day in Ford land, just after we got acustom to these exciting cars and a bit of variety its all over. Thats what happens when people hate a particular brand, im sick of trying to defend Ford to people, its just hard work.
It is hard work!!! But, i think the general perception is changing largely as ford engineer better all round models...not because of 'niche' cars. Territory Turbo never sold in very high numbers and niether did XR5T mondeo. Ford can use the money saves (and this is a example not what will really happen literally) to invest in better quality LCD screens with better user interfaces for its next gen focus/falcon etc. and that will sell more cars. It really will. The enthusiast is being shut out guys just face it. Thankfully the 'base' engines are more competitive than ever so it could be worse. You could be a holden fan about now...oh i'm so excited about my brand's future, what with the great SIDI V6s and our very competitive V8s versus Ford's rubbish Coyote V8.....oh wait...that's not right (extreme sarcasm intended)....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #17
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Whether the 2.5T is going to be replaced by a 4cyl EB engine in the future won't stop it still being (presumably) produced for the Euro market until then. Paullie you are right, Ford Aus seems to be so risk-averse it is a wonder that they let their employees drive to work on public roads...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Guys, heard direct from Ford today (and i've known for a while as well, couldn't say anything) but yes, the model is being stopped globally infact. 2.5T engine is old and is being phased out.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #19
warren77

Wonder what that is going to do to resale value of XR5s?
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

As far as I can gelan.....
XR5 is a Volvo Motor
Ford has now sold Volvo
Ford has their own new0design high efficiency twin turbo EcoBoost

Enthusiasts just need to hope we get a Mondeo Ecoboost High-output version....in a full manual of course (see by-line).

No surprises here, just more sighs and unsatisfied desires. No wonder HSV does so well.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #21
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yep its gone.

the 5 potter is being replaced with fords new 4 cylinder eco friendly turbo engine in 2011 apparently.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Can they now bring in a NA manual Zetec model....?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So this means no more XR5 T focus either??
Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #24
suttoo

It would be nice if Ford told there dealers
1997 EL GT, #102, Manual, 27000kms.
2002 AU3 TS50 #114, Auto
suttoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

Quote:
So this means no more XR5 T focus either??
Focus XR5 (which is selling very well) will continue unchanged at this point.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 AM   #26
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read on the UK Mondeo forum that the 2.5T is no longer available after Jan. 2010. I suspect that it isn't a big seller in Europe and they're getting ready for the 2.0 Ecoboost which should go in the Mondeo this year.

The Mondeo XR5 disappeared from Ford NZ price lists some time ago. The only place I've seen one here was at a Ford dealer.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsguy
Focus XR5 (which is selling very well) will continue unchanged at this point.
But if the 2.5 T motor is being phased out, where are they getting the engines from to continue Focus XR5 production?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #28
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
But if the 2.5 T motor is being phased out, where are they getting the engines from to continue Focus XR5 production?
Volvo. I don't think that the engine is being phased out, just it's use in the Mondeo.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I read on the XR5 forums, then engine is no longer going to be used by ford, which means no more XR5 in either Mondeo or Focus. Volvo is stopping production of the 2.5 alltogether. So even volvo won't get the 2.5
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #30
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
From what I read on the XR5 forums, then engine is no longer going to be used by ford, which means no more XR5 in either Mondeo or Focus. Volvo is stopping production of the 2.5 alltogether. So even volvo won't get the 2.5
prob because volvo has just launched its own 2.0 DI turbo 4 pot. This is supposedly the volvo version of the ford ecoboost. Volvo says there are differences but i'd be shocked if they werent related. Ford will still have association with volvo for years to come re supply and some design sharing even though they are selling them. Its like astonmartin/lr/jag they all use ford stuff still and ford has a supply deal with them. Its just a reversal of the situation witih ford supplying parts for volvo now and volvo stoping production of its own 2.5 design.

I'd say the 2.5 will sto production by mid year....the mondo is just getting in early because it will go over to new ecoboost engines earlier than focus (which will wait till 2011 new model) in its next update (mid year in europe...). Whether a true high po replacmeent for the 2.5 exists (using the 2.0T in top spec form) i dont' know....still no gurantee it would come here anyway. With diesel wagon on the cards plus the 2.0T in base cars i don't know if a performance version is warranted market wise. The XR6 is priced competitively (esp with recent sales) and the mondeo doesnt' really have a suitable XR STyle to import....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....