Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Corvette coming to Australia?

Quote:
Holden to get Corvette as a hero car once the factory closes?

By Joshua Dowling

Two years ago the boss of General Motors told News Corp Australia the Corvette was heading Down Under. The next day his executives said he was mistaken. Now it seems the Corvette really is coming this time.

The iconic Chevrolet Corvette sports car is heading for Holden showrooms to become the brand’s hero car once manufacturing comes to an end in 2017.

The boss of General Motors’ international division, Stefan Jacoby -- the man who in December 2013 made the tough call to close the Elizabeth assembly line -- told Australian media in Detroit that Holden will have a "halo model" after the V8 Commodore dies.

Mr Jacoby stopped short of confirming which car it will be, but there are only two V8 performance vehicles in the GM line-up that could possibly fit: the new Chevrolet Camaro or the next version of the Corvette.

However the Corvette is tipped to be the favourite given that the new Camaro has not been developed for right-hand-drive, whereas the timing of the Corvette’s model change over works in Australia’s favour. The other option, the Cadillac V8, will not fit a steering wheel on the right-hand-side of the car because the engine is such a tight fit.

“We will bring a true sports car to Australia for the brand Holden,” said Mr Jacoby. “It will be something which fulfills the requirement of a true Holden sports car.”

Beyond that, Mr Jacoby was coy about giving any further details other than it will be a V8 and arrive in 2018.

This means that although V8 versions of the homegrown Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore may be reaching the end of the road forever, both will be replaced by iconic US muscle cars.

Ford is due to release the Mustang at the end of this year priced from $50,000 while the Corvette is not due in Australia showrooms until 2018, the year after the Holden factory closes in Elizabeth.

There is one catch however. The flagship version of the Corvette will likely have a price close to $100,000 -- the same as a current HSV GTS sedan -- by the time exchange rates and shipping costs are taken into account.

Nevertheless, the news will be a relief to rev heads because Holden was facing a future without a V8.
http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...0#.VLSNbPMazCQ
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
blk6t

Default Re: Corvette coming to Australia?

Would be awesome to see the Corvette sold in Australia. I don't think it should ever have a Holden badge though...

Gotta say, if I had the option of a new GTS or new Corvette, I'd probably go the Corvette over the GTS if pricing was the same.
Old 13-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden badges on a corvette ? :p
6 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Ok so who replaced Camaro with Corvette, there is an exact same media release but the models have been switched around..lol...

It is a JD article ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Ok so who replaced Camaro with Corvette, there is an exact same media release but the models have been switched around..lol...

It is a JD article ?.
I read the article and it say that corvette was developed for rhd whereas camaro was not..
Old 13-01-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
I read the article and it say that corvette was developed for rhd whereas camaro was not..
There is another article floating around that is virtually word for word as that above but claims it to be Camaro not Corvete as the Corvete was never intended to be RHD...

And as that article above is written by yours truly J Dowling... then say no more.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Corvette ftw. And for goodness sake retire that lame lion badge for good, better than letting it left to rot on GM Korea aka Daewoo vehicles..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post

It is a JD article ?.
The one in this thread?

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11430957

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Corvette ftw. And for goodness sake retire that lame lion badge for good, better than letting it left to rot on GM Korea aka Daewoo vehicles..
They'll just throw the lion on the opels and call it commodore ..
Old 13-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The corvette is a crazy fast car. I remember driving one thinking it would be a bit more nimble than a commodore with the same v8. was i wrong. They are awesome and freaky fast (another level up from the mustang)

I have a secret feeling we will be seeing more and more yank cars popping up here soon as they engineer RHD into the next models.

I am sure Cadillac will have something eventually and well also get a pick up from some one (that will be a winner for who ever gets in first)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Camaro makes more sense then the 'vette, especially if its to be a quasi SS replacement. Next 'vette is rumored to be mid-rear as well. Not to mention that the Holden badge on a Corvette would be incredibly hard to swallow.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I was going to read the article till I saw who wrote it. Then I decided not to waste my time because there's nothing that bloke has written, that I can remember, that has any real credibility.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
zilo
BANNED

Drove the Corvette for a fortnight last year.

Yeah it's fast....but everything else is a piece of garbage.

The interior was done by a crack dealer, the seats are childish and wreck your spine.

The fuel economy is aweful.

Visibility is woeful.

The bodywork is pathetically plastic.

At the end of the day anyone in their backyards could make similar power with a V8 and no weight.

It doesn't handle particularly well either.

So...no thanks, I won't be buying one.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't corvette it's own brand now sort of like what dodge did with the ram trucks they are a separate brand now from dodge just called ram trucks. I heard somewhere that the same is with the corvette it's not Chevrolet corvette any more.

Still plastic junk that the uanks are pedaling as a super car which it's not I have been in a few c4's 5's and 6's and they all rattle and shake and squeak and just didn't leave a good impression.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Do people really think that GM would cheapen the Corvette by calling it a Holden?

Geez...Camaros and Corvettes may be sold here in Australia but there is NO WAY they will be a Holden.

SAABs were also sold in Holden dealerships a while back. Were they known as the Holden SAAB? No. Holden Hummer? No.

Please. Holden is more dead than Ford. And here is the value of a Ford being a Ford the world over. He who laughs last, laughs hardest.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Didn't that same guy from GM say it won't be anything currently in production? That would rule out Corvette.

But after seeing who wrote the article then it's no surprise he is peddling complete BS.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2015, 10:52 PM   #17
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
Do people really think that GM would cheapen the Corvette by calling it a Holden?

Geez...Camaros and Corvettes may be sold here in Australia but there is NO WAY they will be a Holden.

SAABs were also sold in Holden dealerships a while back. Were they known as the Holden SAAB? No. Holden Hummer? No.

Please. Holden is more dead than Ford. And here is the value of a Ford being a Ford the world over. He who laughs last, laughs hardest.
What difference does it make, when GM is GM?

Ford has lost divisions, should we be laughing.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2015, 12:02 AM   #18
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
What difference does it make, when GM is GM?

Ford has lost divisions, should we be laughing.

Yep correct....

The only difference is the make over Holden dealerships will go through when they have there new GM and Chevrolet corporate signage installed.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #19
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Yep correct....

The only difference is the make over Holden dealerships will go through when they have there new GM and Chevrolet corporate signage installed.

My bet is more than half of the GM dealers will either fail or switch allegiances to another importer.
Old 14-01-2015, 12:41 AM   #20
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

I don't know.

I think they will just diversify under the GM banner.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #21
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post

You’re right.

GM has repeatedly said there is no way Chevrolet icons like Corvette or Camaro will ever be rebadged anywhere in the world.

If they do come to Australia it will be as they are and what would be the point of rebranding them anyway, who would it fool?
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 01:07 AM   #22
Windsor220
Now Fordless

So they wont be a Holden halo car then. Unless they plan on something else.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 01:14 AM   #23
danthefordman
Leftyos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

The interior was done by a crack dealer, the seats are childish and wreck your spine.

Visibility is woeful.

At the end of the day anyone in their backyards could make similar power with a V8 and no weight.

Interesting comments, my friend has a Z06 i think, the one with no interior, race spec etc and his comments are very similar. He says it it is hot, harsh loud uncomfortable doesnt go around corners but goes like stink. He still loves it though. Also, he was warned about tyres when he first got it. Was told they were difficult to get and needed to be imported. He never got around to sorting it and blew a tyre one day and had to wait several months to get replacements from the US.
Old 14-01-2015, 01:24 AM   #24
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's odd hearing that they don't handle. They seem to get respectable times around the nurburgring.
The new model is supposedly a step up in quality.

Corvette.. like Mustang would sell itself, all Holden dealers would have to do is hang a Corvette sign up.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 01:37 AM   #25
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
So they wont be a Holden halo car then.
Barina Spark
Old 14-01-2015, 01:44 AM   #26
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
They'll just throw the lion on the opels and call it commodore ..
I'm already worried what they will throw the Falcon badge on when they decide to resurrect the brand in 5 or 10 years time

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2015, 01:52 AM   #27
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
That's odd hearing that they don't handle. They seem to get respectable times around the nurburgring.
The new model is supposedly a step up in quality.
Like the Mustang they are an Icon in the US but are also seen as to use an Aussie term, a bit boganish.

Many models where considered ordinary over the years, slow, poor handling, uncomfortable, poverty packs and so on and to be honest, the Mustangs had a pretty rough period as well.

The Corvette in recent years has gone through a metamorphous as has the Mustang and the improvements have been out of sight.

But in saying that they still have flaws compared to the high end competition and that is reflected in their prices.

I haven’t driven the newer models but for me the Corvette in particular with it's trying to be hard core has has always felt a bit brittle to drive.
Old 14-01-2015, 02:38 AM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

Visibility is woeful.

Funny enough, sat in drivers seat of a Lamborghini and could say exactly same thing. In that class of car it's form over function.. and someone could remove all the excess fat out of xr6 turbo, up the boost and have a quicker, more practical car with better visibility, and have enough money left to invest in real estate..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #29
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Funny enough, sat in drivers seat of a Lamborghini and could say exactly same thing. In that class of car it's form over function.. and someone could remove all the excess fat out of xr6 turbo, up the boost and have a quicker, more practical car with better visibility, and have enough money left to invest in real estate..
Try a Tesla.
Old 14-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #30
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my comment on how good the vet is are based on the current model which is a huge (and i mean huge) step up. The C7 is much better than the c6.

The c6 we have here are like BA falcons (worse due to conversion work). The new mustang hasnt improved as much as the vette in my opinion. I dare any one to drive a c7 vette and not be mega impressed (I need to make some better business card for my next trip to the US and see if i can swing a z06 test drive)
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post