Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #61
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an indepth Chat with Lachlan From Chiptorque today he got the impression that this problem was a 80% chance of being Aggressive Torque reduction maping. He said he has seen the same thing in auto gen3 commo's but not before in an Au.
Never the less he said he is going to dig into the Au they have there and a document that he recently recieved. And translate the codes for Torque reduction. Then give me a call in a couple of weeks for me to come up so he can hook his ecu tools up to the ecu and take my ute for a drive to read what the ecu is doing. Then its back into the Dyno room to shut the Torque reduction maps off completely through the J3 chip i already have installed and re-test drive it to see if the problem is gone.
He said hands down with 3.9's you should have major traction issues when you stand on it. And there is some thing majorly wrong for my times to of stayed the same like they are. At the least they should of been around 1-2 tenths lower....

Its a slow process but hopefully i can get this gremlin killed asap. And get back to the track....

Also my brakes are booked in to come off and be re-fitted on saturday to erase that posibility also.
Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #62
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2XLSV8
Well that'll make it go! I'd only change ONE thing..... Turbo not S/c ;). we'll see what happens :p

I should have taken you for a burl in mine so you could feel what the tranny feels like. Trans shift kit, stall and cam = low 14's! Most likley lower than mine with that diff and such. 2030 or bigger if manners at idle aren't as much of an issue anymore. The engine will be a nice one and will keep you happier until you get the crate going. I'll take you up on that offer I should be up your way in the next few weeks I'll give you a Call when I know exactly what weekend it will be...
If not you could even put the T or S/c on it. Boost will open up the power and torque curves plenty so that the 3.9's have lots of room to play with.
Nope going to reserve the Boost untill the engine work is all done and bedded in.

Your Ute is just a weapon in the making mate. All the steps you've taken WILL pay off once you complete the couple of steps left that make the combo work.
It's all about the $$$$$$'s I'm getting there slowly mateused:
Old 04-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #63
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylox
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After an indepth Chat with Lachlan From Chiptorque today he got the impression that this problem was a 80% chance of being Aggressive Torque reduction maping. He said he has seen the same thing in auto gen3 commo's but not before in an Au.
Never the less he said he is going to dig into the Au they have there and a document that he recently recieved. And translate the codes for Torque reduction. Then give me a call in a couple of weeks for me to come up so he can hook his ecu tools up to the ecu and take my ute for a drive to read what the ecu is doing. Then its back into the Dyno room to shut the Torque reduction maps off completely through the J3 chip i already have installed and re-test drive it to see if the problem is gone.
He said hands down with 3.9's you should have major traction issues when you stand on it. And there is some thing majorly wrong for my times to of stayed the same like they are. At the least they should of been around 1-2 tenths lower....

Its a slow process but hopefully i can get this gremlin killed asap. And get back to the track....

Also my brakes are booked in to come off and be re-fitted on saturday to erase that posibility also.

EXCELLENT.

* Casper waits for the testing to be done before posting back his J3 chip for similar modifications.

I may not need it but I'm only 10rwkw behind so I'm betting its affecting mine too!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.

Last edited by Casper; 04-01-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #64
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:

Thats good news, good to see a business that is actually inerested in fixing the problem, out of curisoty what was the fuel consumption like pre- and post chip?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #65
EFFalcon
Last warning

isnt the torque reduction only a V8 thing?
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #66
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
No its in 6's and 8's manual and auto. BUT in the V8 autos its agressivley mapped.....:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Thats good news, good to see a business that is actually inerested in fixing the problem, out of curisoty what was the fuel consumption like pre- and post chip?
Improved it a bit but I dont usually watch the fuel gauge. The 3.9's improved it a heap believe it or not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
EXCELLENT.

* Casper waits for the testing to be done before posting back his J3 chip for similar modifications.

I may not need it but I'm only 7rwkw behind so I'm betting its affecting mine too!
I actually used you as an example Casper as you can just stand on it an be in smoke city. Lachlan found that pretty interesting. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Grunter I see you there mate stop stressing have a beer matey your beast will have enough power and torque to tell the ecu to F off dont worry about that....
Old 04-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #67
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
Well, the AU auto was never ment to have it at all but the document mentioned said it definatly does. As its the same auto in the V8 and I6 its a good chance it is in both.
Lachlan will certainly find out.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #68
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:

Improved it a bit but I dont usually watch the fuel gauge. The 3.9's improved it a heap believe it or not....
That what i was wondering, maybe the fuel consumption improved because the tuning on the J3chip in a way 'crippled' the engine... Did you do the chip and 3.9s in a very short timeframe?

Last edited by Racecraft; 04-01-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:08 PM   #69
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
That what i was wondering, maybe the fuel consumption improved because the tuning on the J3chip in a way 'crippled' the engine... Did you do the chip and 3.9s in a very short timeframe?
Yeah chip and diff gears were done within about 3 weeks of each other.

The diff gears 3.9's definately helped a lot to decrease fuel consumption on their own.

The chip Improved it a little more again on top of that. And is quicker up top when the torque reduction (if thats the problem) isnt playing Rob the windsor.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #70
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Sweet! Let me know how it goes. What rpm does the torque reduction operate to? I have a manual computer in mine. But if theres more in the 1500+ rpm range to be had then lets have it!

Tom wait eagerly to hear more...

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #71
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Sweet! Let me know how it goes. What rpm does the torque reduction operate to? I have a manual computer in mine. But if theres more in the 1500+ rpm range to be had then lets have it!

Tom wait eagerly to hear more...
yours would have bugger all reduction in it I would think Tom due to the Manual ecu and the non electronic auto. But who knows. Time will tell
Old 04-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #72
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I wouldn't think there was a heap of reduction in there. However whilst i turn the tires by stamping on it i don't create a plume of smoke like some? Not that i want to. I suppose i don't need to reduce any reduction as when boost is on i'll only have to increase it again... Can Lachlan increase the reduction in say 1st gear???

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
BA Fairmont - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 04-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #73
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Not sure what he can do yet mate neither is he. We will have a bit more to go on in a couple of weeks.

and least you can move the tyres down low though. I'll ive you a drive of mine when i come up there next and you'll see what i mean about crap launch
Old 04-01-2005, 08:46 PM   #74
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I'll supply the beer!

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
BA Fairmont - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 04-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #75
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
I'll supply the beer!
you said it :p Now thats a game plan, fooling around with 2 V8 utes for the day and then The beer Couldnt think of a better way to spend the day.
Except for maybe adding a Supercharged T3 to the list ;) (wink wink, nudge nudge Grunter)
Old 04-01-2005, 09:28 PM   #76
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I second the Wink wink, nudge nudge!

We can finally have that meet up that we planned a year ago.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
BA Fairmont - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 04-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #77
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Okay i just had a closer look at your time slip against Marcus.

your 60ft is only 0.057 slower than Marcus; with 3.9's this should be better

your 330ft is 0.178 slower

your 660ft is 0.040 slower (You actually caucht up a fraction!!!)(peak power would have been a little down)

between there and 1000ft the gap extends to 0.286!!!

and ultimately a 1/4 thats 0.316 slower than Marcus

This points clearly at the upper rpm and a posible gear change delay thats much more than Marcus's. If you got a better 60 ft ie. a 2.1 (stall) tightened up the shifts a lil you'd dip well into the 14's.
Marcus's car was less than happy that night but it's still a good indication of your problem being divided and not just the torque reduction. You lost almost no time to him until after 660ft. Your MPH at these intervals helps to support this.
I thought of this when i saw the video of yours and Marcus's run.
Comments?

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
BA Fairmont - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 04-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #78
xr8ute
Back on the road

glad to hear Chiptorque are commited to developing their product....will be very interested to hear how they go finding the parametres for the Torque Control Module.

if they can get that sorted then I may not bother waiting for an edit.

it's almost unbelievable that you can't get wheelspin when launching. It would be very interesting to get a good datalogger on your car and find out what is happening to ignition timing when you take off in first...

in my AU1 XR8 (auto), I can stall it up against the handbrake @ 2000rpm and roll on WOT just after launching and usually spin for 10-20 metres. Never taken it to the drags though, maybe more grip there would change things?
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #79
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
glad to hear Chiptorque are commited to developing their product....will be very interested to hear how they go finding the parametres for the Torque Control Module. I invited Lachlan to look at this thread earlier today he is a very busy man so he may or may not appear. Steffan may come on his behalf. Either way Treat his knowledge with respect as he can surely add insight into ecu tuning.
I highly doubt he will say how exactly he can or does do any specific process. He would however I think be willing to tell you what it does and what affects it will have...
In my past dealing customer service has been 100000%

if they can get that sorted then I may not bother waiting for an edit.

Me either mate!!!!!!!
Fuel maps
shift points and firmness to a degree
speed and rpm limiters removed or moved
The torque reduction is one of the final bits of the puzzle...
And at around $700-$900 for the full deal (depending on the amount of tuning needed)

it's almost unbelievable that you can't get wheelspin when launching. It would be very interesting to get a good datalogger on your car and find out what is happening to ignition timing when you take off in first...
Tell me about it I just spent on 3.9 diff gears for no effect

in my AU1 XR8 (auto), I can stall it up against the handbrake @ 2000rpm and roll on WOT just after launching and usually spin for 10-20 metres. Never taken it to the drags though, maybe more grip there would change things?
Standing on the brake I can make dunlops melt like a knife though hot butter
But just nailing it NONE Even stalling up to just before wheel spin and jumping off the brake and on the gas NONE

Last edited by Sylox; 05-01-2005 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:20 AM   #80
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
Okay i just had a closer look at your time slip against Marcus.

your 60ft is only 0.057 slower than Marcus; with 3.9's this should be better
He only has a single spinner and 3.23 gears
your 330ft is 0.178 slower
His wasnt running right on the night

your 660ft is 0.040 slower (You actually caucht up a fraction!!!)(peak power would have been a little down)
His wasnt running right on the night
between there and 1000ft the gap extends to 0.286!!!
He would of been on Cam so to speak

and ultimately a 1/4 thats 0.316 slower than Marcus

This points clearly at the upper rpm and a posible gear change delay thats much more than Marcus's. If you got a better 60 ft ie. a 2.1 (stall) tightened up the shifts a lil you'd dip well into the 14's.
Marcus's car was less than happy that night but it's still a good indication of your problem being divided and not just the torque reduction. You lost almost no time to him until after 660ft. Your MPH at these intervals helps to support this.
I thought of this when i saw the video of yours and Marcus's run.
Comments?
Hard to compare a internally stock engine to one with a bigger cam etc even if the power figures are similar as they both make power in different rpm bands.

Falkeen this guys the reason i havent got the kit yet mate he is convincing me to go the cam lol :p
Old 05-01-2005, 12:29 AM   #81
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

You could be twins... or you could go faster! Up to you. lol

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
BA Fairmont - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 11-01-2005, 06:58 PM   #82
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Well little report on this problem but

The brakes arent dragging at all.

And i spoke with Mal Wood Automotive and he said he hasnt come across it in a Au or BA for that matter but had seen it in some early jap cars. His bet is torque reduction also..

Old 11-01-2005, 09:35 PM   #83
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

And the progress from Locky is???

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
BA Fairmont - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
Old 11-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #84
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Quote:
And the progress from Locky is???
Not yet i might give him a call tomorrow and ask if he as made any progress...

Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #85
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if someone can host a video, i have one when i ran a 14.8, and i had heaps of wheel spin... and also, my accelerator cable is shagged, Rollin had a look today, and there is another 10-15mm left to go... YEA!!! There might be more yet to come!!!