Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #61
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: Is The GMC Sierra Denali The Safest Towing Vehicle ?

13T caravan -

3T - caravan
10T - mobile drugs lab.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #62
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I want to see this 13T caravan unless its made by Prevost.
https://luxefifthwheel.com/rv/luxury...eel-toy-hauler

http://www.drvsuites.com/full-house-...oor-plans.html

Both at 11 tonnes when fully loaded to their max carrying capacity. Just need 💰 💰 💰
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #63
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
https://luxefifthwheel.com/rv/luxury...eel-toy-hauler

http://www.drvsuites.com/full-house-...oor-plans.html

Both at 11 tonnes when fully loaded to their max carrying capacity. Just need �� �� ��
Nice, wouldn't mind one of those to pull behind Louie. I guess they would be 9fters ?? width so wouldn't come here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #64
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
lol, cant believe it took this many posts before someone stated the obvious.

Unfortunately that doesnt suit the narrative some like to follow in order to discredit something they dont appreciate.
Not quite.

My comments are from a legal standpoint, not how well the gmc will handle the load.

Like I said earlier, these cars get derated to 4491kg gvm so they can be driven on a car licence. This robs them of most of their legal payload.

You end up with a massive car but can actually be worse off legally.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #65
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice, wouldn't mind one of those to pull behind Louie. I guess they would be 9fters ?? width so wouldn't come here.
8.5’ is the max width in most US states, so it’s probably right at that. Only 9.1cm wider than the max Australian width.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #66
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yeah just re read the link, 101in wide bodies

Old 19-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
And all of that information is available to the prospective buyer and if it suits their needs under those terms and they want to, they can.
Wheres the problem?
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 07:22 PM   #68
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Not quite.

Like I said earlier, these cars get derated to 4491kg gvm so they can be driven on a car licence. This robs them of most of their legal payload.

Or you can upgrade your licence to Light truck.
The original link OP posted is about a 6 wheel medium duty pick up.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Exactly.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #70
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
And all of that information is available to the prospective buyer and if it suits their needs under those terms and they want to, they can.
Wheres the problem?
Actually many times you have to actually look for the info. You'd be surprised how many people are not aware that there are legalities surrounding payload, axle loading etc. They get their info from a salesman who just wants a sale.

Not related to the vehicle in the OP, but a few LC200 owners traded their cars in on the new dodge ram only to find they could no longer legally tow their large van.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #71
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The original link OP posted is about a 6 wheel medium duty pick up.
Yes I realise it's off topic but upgrading your licence doesn't change the vehicle specs.

The vehicle in the OP will never be sold here anyway so it's all a moot point.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #72
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Actually many times you have to actually look for the info. You'd be surprised how many people are not aware that there are legalities surrounding payload, axle loading etc. They get their info from a salesman who just wants a sale.

Not related to the vehicle in the OP, but a few LC200 owners traded their cars in on the new dodge ram only to find they could no longer legally tow their large van.
And who's fault is that?

Do your homework, take responsibility for it.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #73
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Links? Ram 1500 is rated to pull 4,500kg in Australia. 1000kg more than the LC200. Now the coil sprung rear suspension is soft for heavy leads, but you’re only talking 10% tongue weight. Also, longer wheelbase and a wider track is better for towing. Sorry but I find it hard to believe the LC200 is a better towing machine. That being said, they should have bought a 2500 anyway. Or even better, a Ford or Chevy.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #74
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Hence buy a bigger vehicle (preferably dual rear wheels) with a longer WB upgrade your licence and you will not fall foul of the law. I've read so many hard done by caravanner crying poor cause they got ripped off buying the wrong vehicle for an obvious job.
It's about time they started getting these overloaded grey nomad combinations off the road.

Old 19-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #75
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Old mate the Isuzu dealer across the road was telling me he got stung recently when he sold a Dmax to a customer, when they arrived to pick it up they had their van in tow.
Now they'd told him they were buying it to tow a van, told him the weight of the van, but didnt tell him it was front heavy so when they dropped it on the back of the Dmax it dropped on its guts and they went off.
They're now up for a suspension upgrade and arent happy.

Who's at fault, the salesman for selling them a vehicle they enquired about or the customer for not doing their homework and striking it from their list if not suitable.
They approached him.

I worked in a caravan sales yard and the things people rolled up with towing big vans was eye opening to say the least, but you can only tell them so much, at the end of the day its up to them to make sure they're compliant.
Some of the big Silverline's or Sterlings dwarf dual cabs, i wouldnt feel safe pulling them in anything but perfect conditions.
I had to pick up a 26' Jayco in a GU Patrol and out on the northern expressway which has terrible crosswinds was the most hair raising experience i've ever had towing and i've driven tautliners and 57 seat coaches down the same piece of bitumen without batting an eyelid.

Last edited by BENT_8; 19-02-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Links? Ram 1500 is rated to pull 4,500kg in Australia. 1000kg more than the LC200. Now the coil sprung rear suspension is soft for heavy leads, but you’re only talking 10% tongue weight. Also, longer wheelbase and a wider track is better for towing. Sorry but I find it hard to believe the LC200 is a better towing machine. That being said, they should have bought a 2500 anyway. Or even better, a Ford or Chevy.
Ram 1500 has max rear axle rating of 1770kg. Pathetic for the size of the vehicle. Payload is less than 900kg also. Nearly 200kg less than a std lc200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
And who's fault is that?

Do your homework, take responsibility for it.
Not quite sure what you are arguing? I'm pointing out some of the shortfalls of the vehicle. I don't care who bought what or for what reason.

Some of these cars, from a legal standpoint, have massive flaws. That is all.
Old 19-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #77
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
And dual cab Rangers, Mazda's, Narvana, Triton don't.

2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #78
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ram 1500 has max rear axle rating of 1770kg. Pathetic for the size of the vehicle. Payload is less than 900kg also. Nearly 200kg less than a std lc200.

Not quite sure what you are arguing? I'm pointing out some of the shortfalls of the vehicle. I don't care who bought what or for what reason.

Yes it’s ****ty payload, everyone knows that. That doesn’t mean the LC200 is a better tow vehicle. Especially if you’re arguing from your standpoint of legality. The fact is 3500kg isn’t more than 4500kg. But now you’re making the case FOR the 2020 GMC 3500. It’s bigger, heavier, more powerful, torquier, longer wheelbase, wider track, higher payload, bigger towing capacity, exhaust brake, 8 lug axles. Either suck it up and get your truck license or get the de-rated 2500 version.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Yes it’s ****ty payload, everyone knows that. That doesn’t mean the LC200 is a better tow vehicle. Especially if you’re arguing from your standpoint of legality. .
Well, like I said, the rear axle rating makes it nigh on impossible to legally tow 3.5t on an overhung hitch. The lc200 can. It's just maths, nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
And dual cab Rangers, Mazda's, Narvana, Triton don't.
Who is arguing they are better?? I think some people are getting the wrong idea.

I said up front, if you want to tow a big load, buy a truck.
Old 19-02-2019, 08:22 PM   #80
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, like I said, the rear axle rating makes it nigh on impossible to legally tow 3.5t on an overhung hitch. The lc200 can. It's just maths, nothing more nothing less
The rear GAWR on both are so close it’s not even funny. 1863kg for the Ram 1500, 2000kg for the LC200. On 3500kg, you’re talking about 350kg of tongue weight/payload. If you’re pushing the limits that much, why are you considering a 1500 OR a LC200 with such a short wheelbase? Why aren’t you looking at a 2500? Your arguments make no sense. You indicated your real objection in your first post:
Quote:
Looks like typical American **** to me.
You’re just grasping for anything you can to justify your irrational opinion. You’re entiled to believe whatever you want. Just don’t think you’re fooling anyone.
6 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #81
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if you want to tow a big load, buy a truck.
It is a Class 3 truck. Buy a Land Cruiser....buy a semi...buy a Japanese cab forward...I don’t have a need to drive a truck, but take my advice anyway lol 😂
Old 19-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #82
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The rear GAWR on both are so close it’s not even funny. 1863kg for the Ram 1500, 2000kg for the LC200. On 3500kg, you’re talking about 350kg of tongue weight/payload. If you’re pushing the limits that much, why are you considering a 1500 OR a LC200 with such a short wheelbase? Why aren’t you looking at a 2500? Your arguments make no sense. You indicated your real objection in your first post:

You’re just grasping for anything you can to justify your irrational opinion. You’re entiled to believe whatever you want. Just don’t think you’re fooling anyone.
Getting personal much?

Yes, I'm in Australia and often Australians think certain things about Americans need to oversize everything, hence my original comment. It wasn't directed at anyone.

As for everything else, it's just numbers. I'm not after any of these vehicles. Just pointing out that some aren't really an upgrade from a legal perspective.
Old 19-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #83
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Getting personal much?
Getting bad grammar much? You are certainly influenced by American pop culture to adopt that line. Not getting personal, I’m a critical thinker and if I find flaws in your arguments, I will point them out. It’s not your lack of experience with the subject that is the most ridiculous, it’s the inconsistencies. It’s like if it’s too big for a Land Cruiser, then I need a semi, even though you don’t like to “oversize everything.” 😂😂😂
Old 19-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #84
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Getting bad grammar much? You are certainly influenced by American pop culture to adopt that line. Not getting personal, I’m a critical thinker and if I find flaws in your arguments, I will point them out. It’s not your lack of experience with the subject that is the most ridiculous, it’s the inconsistencies. It’s like if it’s too big for a Land Cruiser, then I need a semi, even though you don’t like to “oversize everything.” 😂😂😂
I think you need to re read the thread.

My thoughts about the vehicle are my opinion, which we are all entitled to.

The points I made regarding legal weights are facts. You don't have to like them.
Old 19-02-2019, 09:35 PM   #85
hayseed

Quote:
mike_nofx, Me neither, with load tub hanging out behind the rear wheels.

The biggest thing people ignore with Towing Particulary with riceburner Dualcabs.
Is that the Towball load is included in the payload..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2019, 05:59 AM   #86
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the big block wars could be making a comeback...

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/02/rum...-displacement/
Old 20-02-2019, 03:03 PM   #87
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FFS I wasn’t saying you were. Stop getting so defensive.
So whats your point then? just carrying on like a pork chop for nothing
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #88
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Because it’s better to have a vehicle capable of towing 13t and only loading it up with half or less of it’s rated capacity?

If I had to tow 3.5t there’s no way I’d be using any of these Thailand Utes which are rated at 3.5t to tow it.
That I agree with, and you will find most are exceeding maximum weight anyway
Old 20-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #89
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
8.5’ is the max width in most US states, so it’s probably right at that. Only 9.1cm wider than the max Australian width.
Pretty sure you cannot have a wheeltrack wider than 2.5M here.
My boat is 2.49 with the boat overhang of 45mm.
by law it cannot be driven after daylight hours and must wear oversize signage.
Old 20-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #90
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Pretty sure you cannot have a wheeltrack wider than 2.5M here.
My boat is 2.49 with the boat overhang of 45mm.
by law it cannot be driven after daylight hours and must wear oversize signage.
Yes we discussed that. 2.5m max overall width. excluding mirrors. U.S can go wider. Isn't wheel track measured from the centre of the tyre ??
My boat is 3.0m wide, oversize and permit day or night but under 3.0m doesn't need an escort.