Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 15-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
fryad
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta whining noise above 90kmh

Hi all,

Firstly, I scoured this forum when deciding whether to buy the Fiesta and thank you all for your comments. Despite a few 'issues' raised along the way, I went and bought a WQ Sea Grey Zetec and love it. After driving Swift, 2 and Yaris, nothing compared.

I have one problem with it (besides the general engine and road noise) - above 90kmh and up to 110kmh there is an electrical sounding whining noise that comes through into the cabin. Being a speed related thing I guess if it's coming from the engine but it seriously sounds electrical as if it's from the stereo or something. I have tested this with stereo on and off, fan on and off, turning steering left and right (maybe power sterring related) but it doesn't change pitch or volume with anything other than speed and it is definitely louder whilst accelerating than it is coasting/decelerating at speeds above 90kmh.

Anyone else encountered this and have any ideas?

Sadly, I also have the rough idling issue, but it seems to only be at startup (for now) so I'll be speaking to the Ford guys at 3000km and having the ECU looked at. Cheers.

fryad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, i've never noticed any 'electrical whine' when im travelling above 90kph. I'll have a listen next time im on a highway. However, my WQ LX will be on different RPM than yours when cruising on the highway (100kph at 2750-2800rpm). WQ Zetec would cruise at higher RPM at 100kph.

A forum members by the name of 'napalm' and 'swaytan' also has WQ Zetec, maybe you could PM them about the problem.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Welcome to the forum! Does it happen all the time? And, does it happen at speeds over 110km/h?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Sounds strange. Never experience any whine type noise at speeds much higher then 90 in mine (WP Zetec).
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry mate, Iv'e got a 06 WQ Zetec, no whining noises here either.

Get it checked out quick smart at the dealer you got the car from if I were you.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #6
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I don't have a whine, but do have a rattle at those speeds. Think it's a stone somewhere. I'll have a look on the weekend.
Old 16-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
fryad
Starter Motor

Thanks for the feedback guys (and the welcome!) Good to know all your cars are 'whine-free' (!) Yeah I'll get it checked out but based on past experience with cars where niggling but hardly life threatening issues have cropped up, the dealers are just as unlikely to find the cause as I am. Still, I'll try.

Re the rpm at 100kmh, being an auto (due to my size 11 feet not dealing with the lack of space to the left of the clutch pedal in the brilliant manual), my car does about 2800/2900 at 100kmh. The manual I test drove was doing about 3100rpm. I do a lot of highway driving so that was an important difference.

Of course, having just looked at the XR4 link from this page I'm wondering if I shouldn't just get over the clutch pedal issue.... :voldar02:
Old 16-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
fryad
Starter Motor

Oh, and to Teki04, I have only had it up to 125kmh and I was busy overtaking someone so wasn't aware of it and yes, it happens all the time between 90-110kmh but is worst bang on 100kmh than at other speeds and not as loud when coasting as when acellerating!
Old 16-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

YAY another Auto. Congrats. How are you finding the Auto??? I LOVE IT. I too need to get over the clutch pedal issue.
Old 16-02-2007, 10:33 AM   #10
photn
AFF Post NAZI

damo lol you need to get over alot of issues hahahaha

Could it be the Gearbox?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
goop

I get a whining noise in mine too! When I go round corners quickly, I can hear it quite loudly in my left ear.... it really shits me.

It goes away when I leave my girlfriend at home, tho (that wasn't very helpful, huh : )

Welcome to the forums Fryad
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:45 PM   #12
fryad
Starter Motor

Actually MISTA FIESTA, when I decided on the auto I was still very unsure, but due to the right ratio set up, it doesn't suffer off the line like you might expect and is great for cruising. Around town I think an auto makes more sense anyway, it's only in the country off the highways that I sometimes wish I'd gone the other way. That overdrive button isn't quite as much fun as a gearshift!

Thanks to photn for he suggestion it could be the auto tranny....hmmm...I'm praying it just needs running in. It's an infant at 850kms so far!
Old 16-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryad
Actually MISTA FIESTA, when I decided on the auto I was still very unsure, but due to the right ratio set up, it doesn't suffer off the line like you might expect and is great for cruising. Around town I think an auto makes more sense anyway, it's only in the country off the highways that I sometimes wish I'd gone the other way. That overdrive button isn't quite as much fun as a gearshift!

Thanks to photn for he suggestion it could be the auto tranny....hmmm...I'm praying it just needs running in. It's an infant at 850kms so far!
not saying that its cause its an auto lol. just sujesting that it could be the Gearbox itself......maybee something inside doesnt like the revolutions that 90+ creates.???

Old 16-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by goop
I get a whining noise in mine too! When I go round corners quickly, I can hear it quite loudly in my left ear.... it really ##### me.

It goes away when I leave my girlfriend at home, tho (that wasn't very helpful, huh : )
Haha, that's gold!
Old 16-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
fryad
Starter Motor

Don't worry photn, I wan't offended and yeah, it's worth considering.

As for goop's comment, yeah I get some of that whining as well as the engine whine...!
Old 16-02-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Fled74
The Thread Killa

The only whining I get in the Fez is from the baby seat in the back, but only when we're stopped at a red light or something. She's curiously content when we're moving (especially cornering!). Looks like I've got a budding petrolhead here...

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just driven my Fiesta at 90-140km/h. I'm not sure which "electrical whine" you're referring to... but I can hear soft whistling sound when I let go the accelerator (when travelling at 110+ km/h). The pitch gets lower as the speed decrease.
I feel that this isnt the sound you're hearing since you said that the pitch and volume of your Fiesta's "whine" dont change.
Old 21-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #18
fryad
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info Hyperkid. Could be the same thing as I have really been playing with this a bit and it seems to be imporving as I get more miles up. Sometimes it can be a soft 'whistle' and worse on decelleration so maybe it's something that has to bed in? Seems to only be around smack on 100kmh now.....? Of course, the trouble both we and Ford service techs have is how everyone describes the 'sounds' they are hearing from the car and how to get on the same page!! _2:
Old 21-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #19
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Might not be the same. By mine gets nasty aero noise from what I beleive to be the wipers. Might be the same. Does it get worse if the wind or if a truck passes by?
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #20
falcXF 2 Fiesta
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
I've just driven my Fiesta at 90-140km/h. I'm not sure which "electrical whine" you're referring to... but I can hear soft whistling sound when I let go the accelerator (when travelling at 110+ km/h). The pitch gets lower as the speed decrease.
I feel that this isnt the sound you're hearing since you said that the pitch and volume of your Fiesta's "whine" dont change.
Hey All what's cracking just wondering if we found the magical cure for the above noise ^^ cause my Black WQ Fiesta Zetec does the same thing, but I found that when I turned the stereo down or took my foot off the accelerator the sound gets lower - so I got no clue, it's not a constant sound either I only notice it sometimes
falcXF 2 Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #21
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately I dont drive on highway too often, so I havent been able to experiement with possible solutions. However I believe wind causes it.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #22
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I only get a whining noise above 90kmh when my wife's mother sits in the back :
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #23
fryad
Starter Motor

Hey falcXF 2 Fiesta....yes mine's not constant either and it varies in volume with the speed but doesn't change with radio volume But it's softer when decelerating than when accelerating. I still haven't had anytime to get it into Ford.

Hyperkid - wish you were right, but this is definitely not wind noise, it's much too electrical sounding, almost like a feedback whine through the speakers (except that's not it either!) I'm stumped!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #24
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryad
Hey falcXF 2 Fiesta....yes mine's not constant either and it varies in volume with the speed but doesn't change with radio volume But it's softer when decelerating than when accelerating. I still haven't had anytime to get it into Ford.

Hyperkid - wish you were right, but this is definitely not wind noise, it's much too electrical sounding, almost like a feedback whine through the speakers (except that's not it either!) I'm stumped!
If it varies with speed its either aero noise or tyre noise. If it was feedback through the speakers it would vary with RPM and be there all the time.

If you have some 3M tape try taping the windscreen weathershield down and see if it helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

just as a guess.... and i know that you say it electrical but humor me

try to remove the aerial on the roof and test it.

just a suggestion hope it helps.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #26
fryad
Starter Motor

Not a bad idea Cobrin - as seemigly aimple as it sounds. I'm heading up the highway this weekend so I'll try it!
Old 14-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #27
fryad
Starter Motor

OK guys, now I need some opinions please!!

I have had my Zetec in to Ford twice to look at this whining/whistling problem (whistling now seems a more apt description).

They suggested I drive a new car off the showroom floor (LX 5 dr) which I did, and while it was silent between 90-110, at exactly 105kmh it had the same noise, but very very faintly. This suggests that there is an issue with what the service guys call 'normal induction noise' on all cars and it is simply really bad on my car (and I mean really bad - it's quite audible over a loud stereo over 90kmh).

So I did a second drive with their diagnostic techie bloke and he agrees it is abnormally pronounced on my car, but that finding it is real needle in a haystack stuff. He says the noise is likely to be an eddy of air collecting in a certain location anywhere in the induction pipes/manifold etc.

Ford have been very good about this and have offered to take the car and do stethoscope style diagnostics on the engine and swap parts from their loan Fiesta and try my car with each new part til they can find one that lessens the noise.

My question to you guys is, do you think this is worth doing? The noise drives me nuts but I am worried that things might get worse or even another issue crop up if the car is played with like this. I'm thinking that maybe it's cause is a piece of plastic induction pipe has simply been screwed in too tight or on the wrong angle etc but how do they guess?

Also, Ford says that they will have to charge me if the work takes more than a few hours as there is nothing technically 'wrong' (as in a warranty issue) although I beg to differ!

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Do you think they will ever find it? Cheers.
Old 14-06-2007, 11:31 AM   #28
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate.
okay, Firstly, its good to see Ford tyring to fix something like this. which is goo.

Secondly... get ford to do it.

Thirdly. Write a letter to the manager of ware you are, and a letter to gormon if you have to, you should not pay for this, as you mentioned the noise isnt as loud on anyother car you have test driven.... so therefore, there must be something mechanicly wrong with it. It is a warranty issue, due to the fact that they have found a problem with the car that needs addressing....the car is still under warranty.

well thats what i would do.

Old 14-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #29
Jess85

my car makes a funny noise under the bonnet..its a whining noise but to me it sounds like the hens/chickens in the coop next door lol.."brrrrp, brrruupp" (dont laugh, its the only way to explain it)
I took the car to get serviced, told them bout the noise and i had to get a new air filter or water pump (1 or the other) ..and they said i'd need the other thing soon. They also said they'd had 1 other fiesta in with the same noise and that there were no more probs after the pump or filter was replaced. Mine still makes some noise tho
Jess85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #30
BlackLS

Perhaps a speed related frequency sensor causing line noise from the seatbelt alarm speaker in the instrument cluster. A good canidate is the speedo freq sensor.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post