Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
MitchG

Default Ws Or Wt???

The Mrs is looking at a newish Zetec Fiesta (manual) & both the WS & WT are in the price range she is wanting to spend & i'm just wondering if either model has any clear advantages, i know the WS is german manufactured so i assume bulid quality may be abit nicer..? but is the anything else we should consider?

cheers.

MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ws Or Wt???

WS is built better, has the better soft touch dash, but the aircon sucks big-time, its horrible, its like a lung cancer patient blowing at you with a straw.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
WS is built better, has the better soft touch dash, but the aircon sucks big-time, its horrible, its like a lung cancer patient blowing at you with a straw.
Doesn't the Thai built WT have a lot better air-con performance? .. if so, that would definately be the one to go for I reckon ... the OP's wife won't be too happy with him come the first hot Melbourne day if he bought her a WS ...

I've got a German built WQ and the air-con is not very good (to say the least!), I can only presume the WS which was built in the same plant would have similar performance air-con wise?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My WT has great Air Con.

In regards to WS and WT well the WT has more Kit, and in my opinion looks a bit better.

Negative to the WT is i have found the build quality isnt as good. But its the trade off for better air con, and cruise control etc.
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Yes the aircon is hopeless in the WS, when I was driving it daily, at work I'd start it an hour early, let it idle with the A/C on with the fan on full and recirculating air, it'd be slightly cool, not cold.

My Focus is a bit better, but still total ***, it was struggling on a 38 degree day with high humidity, I drove it over 100km with the aircon on and fan on max, was struggling keeping it cool.
Old 29-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
trumpy73

I live in Perth and it has been close to 37+ for weeks. My WS seems to cope well. Not the best air-con I've seen but more than acceptable.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

A/C useless on my WS: I believe that it is different in the WT. That said, the interior, soft plastics etc are better on the WS. I don't use the ac so it's not a big deal for me, but the standard of ac on the WS range seems to be, with a few fortunate exceptions, unsatisfactory.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
and cruise control etc.
WS has it except the CL model.

The WS is definitely the go except for the aircon but it isn't that bad that you will still be hot, if given time the cabin does cool..

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #9
brydie76
Moff-fan

All the people who complain about the air con need to spend a week with none! . No, it's not great, but it's usable- just takes longer and a higher setting to get your desired temp. Mind you I think the WT Zetecs have climate control so that may be an incentive. Both of the series in Zetec have cruise control so that shouldn't be an issue. But I agree re build quality- my WS just feels "nicer". When I sat in a WT, it didn't feel like a20k+ car.

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ours was crap for the first 18months. This summer for some reason (maybe it was over filled and its leaked out slowly and its at the right level now) it's been awesome and we havent changed anything on the car.
Even on the 40deg days its been great... Stuffed if I know why... But huge difference when its working well.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem as other WS owners here. However, using a window visor, and driving with the windows down to cool the cabin for five or so minutes, the air-con comes alive. My guess is the huge glass area lets in so much heat into the dash components; the air-con struggles to get all that plastic cool again. My Soho dash just absorbs the heat, but with a proper sun visor, one big enough to cover the entire window, the air-con is really good. It’s not the best, but for a small car it’s pretty darn good.

The WS did get a soft touch dash, chrome in filled projector front headlights, telescopic steering wheel adjustment, and a few other things like slightly bigger brakes (IIRC) and different front fascia and wheels. The WT got side curtain airbags, some nifty under seat storage areas, plus the option of a 1.6L automatic engine as opposed to the 1.4L engine, along with the option of a 1.6L diesel across the range. The Zetec model also got different, much more comfortable sports-like seats. Nothing major really. I have driven a few WT models now, and my first impression was the quality was near spot on, but the demo model I had the other day was definitely a few rungs below my WS build wise. Mind you this was an LX and not a Zetec, the silver finishes in the Zetec seem to make the place a lot more inviting, combined with nicer seats it feels worlds apart IMHO.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
MitchG

Smile Re: Ws Or Wt???

Thanks for all your input fellas, lots of valuable information thanks heaps!

i do reckon the WS looks better, shame about the AC tho :(
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Ours was crap for the first 18months. This summer for some reason (maybe it was over filled and its leaked out slowly and its at the right level now) it's been awesome and we havent changed anything on the car.
Even on the 40deg days its been great... Stuffed if I know why... But huge difference when its working well.

It would probably be better to overfill it with more refrigerant however you can kill the compressor. If it was a leak it would be still leaking. Maybe they topped it up when it was serviced but I doubt it.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
trumpy73

strangely mine was the same. When I fist got it, the air-con used to cut in an out constantly on hot days (annoying rev changes) and it wasn't that good but this year it has mysteriously fixed itself. (no servicing)

Then again the air-con my POS 1990 pulsar hadn't worked for 3 years and all of a sudden this year it hasn't missed a beat.

May be the air-con fairies are in the air.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpy73
May be the air-con fairies are in the air.
Or you've just used up all your luck for 2012, expect the worst.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The WT is probably the better choice, due to the much more effective aircon and the availability of a diesel, as well as the sports seats (although the standard seats are excellent) and suspension. The WS had larger tyres (not brakes) and reach adjustment for the steering wheel, though.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
trumpy73

neither... buy a kia rio
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
neither... buy a kia rio
Hmm, why?
The Fiesta handles like a go-kart. Why buy some Kia with poorly sorted handling and marshmallow steering?
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
neither... buy a kia rio
I think his mrs would like something that they both like. not just 4 wheels a bit of metal.
fiestaz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
trumpy73

LOL, I know this a fez forum and I own one but have you seen the new rio and the specs?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #21
MitchG

Smile Re: Ws Or Wt???

lol no kia rio...But she ended up with a 2010 WS Zetec manual in dark mica stone & couldn't be happier!

thanks again guys.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
LOL, I know this a fez forum and I own one but have you seen the new rio and the specs?
Its like 103KW or something, same size as the Fiesta.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #23
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Kia Rio: 1.6 103kW 0-100 in 8.8 secs v Fez 1.6 89kW 0-100 in 10.2 secs (motor mag test measured figures, not manufacturers claim), Kia Rio Carsguide of the Year 2011, rated with the Fez for handling. Only thing it loses out to is badge snobs.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most women who want the fez arent going to give a stuff what the 0-100 time is... They like how the fez looks on the inside and out... easy to park, easy to drive etc..

Last edited by GoesLikeAZetec; 11-03-2012 at 12:32 AM.
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
brydie76
Moff-fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
Most women who want the fez arent going to give a stuff what the 0-100 time is... They like how the fez looks on the inside and out... easy to park, easy to drive etc..
This. And the current marketing campaign hasn't got the Rio in the good books with some of my female friends- "the guy in that ad is a complete tool!!!". Bad experiences with previous gen Rios have turned some people I know in the car buying market off them too.

Many of my friends and family, make or female, think that the power my Fezza has is more than adequate (including when it had 5 adults in it!). I personally would like more power, but I think a Fiesta ST is the only way I will be happy!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #26
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Oh, plus:

Ford 3yr/100,000kms warranty.

Kia 5yr/unlimited kms warranty.

One company stands by their product, one doesn't.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
brydie76
Moff-fan

I would argue with you on that latter point based on experience, but I don't gpfeel like bashing my head against a brick wall today. And we are way off topic.

Congrats on the Fezza MitchG!!! : )

Old 21-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
razredge
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Kia Rio: 1.6 103kW 0-100 in 8.8 secs v Fez 1.6 89kW 0-100 in 10.2 secs (motor mag test measured figures, not manufacturers claim), Kia Rio Carsguide of the Year 2011, rated with the Fez for handling. Only thing it loses out to is badge snobs.
Umm, I think not. Certainly Wheels didn't think so in its COTY writeup and even the carsguide review of the Rio has the Fiesta as The segment's chassis benchmark, a well-featured and capable machine.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and...kia_rio_review

Same with Drive's comparison of the two
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...909-1k0db.html

Quote:
The best car to drive in the city-car class, edging VW’s Polo. Progressive steering matches terrific handling and the Fiesta’s suspension remains impressively compliant in everyday driving.

VS

Competent road manners but not in Fiesta’s league for driving fun. Bump absorption ability, while decent, isn’t at the same level. Steering a weak point despite local tuning work — numb, inconsistently weighted and with an annoying sticky sensation just off centre.
Then you can look overseas comparisons like this Autoexpress one:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi..._14_zetec.html

While i'm sure the Rio is nice enough and has the better engine, it's a bit of a stretch to claim Kia has better suspension engineering chops than Ford of Europe.

Last edited by razredge; 21-03-2012 at 06:39 PM.
razredge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by razredge
Umm, I think not. Certainly Wheels didn't think so in its COTY writeup and even the carsguide review of the Rio has the Fiesta as The segment's chassis benchmark, a well-featured and capable machine.
Um, I actually think so.

The issue I was referring to was Wheels Nov 2011.

The Rio write up is on page 127.
It gets rated 8 out of 10.
The Fez also gets rated 8 out of 10 (The Fabia/Polo twins won the comparison).

Wheels says: 'its an accolade in itself to say that the Kia kept up when chasing the Fiesta.' So there ain't much in it, though the Fez does win for steering feel.

Then you have 103 (Rio) v 89kW (Fez).

0-100 of 8.8 for the Rio, it was 9.8 for the Fez and the Rio was quicker through all gears for the rolling start.

Oh, and regarding Carsguide? The Rio WON Carsguide's Car of the Year.

Then don't mention the warranty difference, or % of satisfied customers, cos it only gets worse for Ford.

I also won't mention the excellent British magazine EVO (puts Wheels/Motor/Top Gear Aus to shame with its quality). I won't mention the latest (in Aus) issue, number 167, where there is a small car test. The Fez tested in this semi hot hatch test is the Fiesta 'Metal', effectively a Zetec with a warmed over 100kW engine. Out of 7 cars, it finishes second last (last place was a Seat, btw). The test is won by the new Suzuki Swift Sport, second place is the Renaultsport Twingo, then Abarth, Mini and A1.

Main criticism of the Fez? The engine. To quote: 'too slow, too expensive and just not special.' The Fiesta was the second most expensive car in the test.

Yes, in 2009 the Fez was the best car in the class. Its now 2012.
Old 22-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #30
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think my WS Fiesta Zetec is AWESOME