Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 26-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Zetec help

Hey guys.
Missus is looking at getting a 2010 Zetec.

Just want to know if these cars are at all "modable"
She says she wouldn't mind putting stuff like extractors ( if its even possible )
better cold air intake and what not.

Also is there much difference between a 2009 or 2010 model? Is there anything we should look for when buying one? Looking at getting a ex demo model.
Also my missus only has a auto license so unfortunately we cant get the 1.6l apparently they only come in a manual???

Cheers guys.

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Centrelink; Funding Commodores since 1978'
LazyBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well in the car front there's good and bad news. The good is the new Thai sourced Fiesta comes in a 1.6 Ti-VCT PowerShift 6-Speed auto (One of those fancy duel clutch models, much like VW and their DSG). The bad news, the new Zetec model won't be here until March next year, and the Thai built model (Even with the added safety and kit lists) is built in Thailand, according to early reports isn't a well built as a German built Zetec.

So you can go either way there. A new 89kw PowerShift auto with less soft touch plastics or a 74kw 4-Speed auto with a nicer feeling interior that you can have right now. I think a few owners of the 1.4L could offer suggestions here, but get your missus to try it and she what she thinks.

As for modding it, haven't attempted it. There was talk a few months back of ECU upgrades, but nothing lately. Apart for that I haven't seen much info on performance enchacements apart from the Mountune pack that's currently in the UK only. I have a K&N filter on my Fez but I doubt that'll give you the effect you're looking for.

Let us know how you go :-)
Old 26-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
trento
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBrennan
Hey guys.
Missus is looking at getting a 2010 Zetec.

Just want to know if these cars are at all "modable"
She says she wouldn't mind putting stuff like extractors ( if its even possible )
better cold air intake and what not.

Also is there much difference between a 2009 or 2010 model? Is there anything we should look for when buying one? Looking at getting a ex demo model.
Also my missus only has a auto license so unfortunately we cant get the 1.6l apparently they only come in a manual???

Cheers guys.
Hey mate,

Firstly yes these cars are "modable" euro websites like pumaspeed and europeanparts offer full exhaust systems as well as replacement cams, suspension as well as a K&N CAIS.

The 2009 and 2010 models as far as I'm aware are identical... although dannyhilton will atest that the drivers wing mirror is different on the later WS fez's.

Unfortunately the auto comes with the smaller motor... although tenille has one and she keeps up with us just fine

I've had two fiestas (WP and WS) both of which I have modified and loved dearly.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento
Although dannyhilton will atest that the drivers wing mirror is different on the later WS fez's.
Don't make the mistake I did, make sure the drivers side rear view mirror has the dotted lines to give you a convex mirror!

In terms of 09 WS and 10 WS, no difference I'm aware of. The new Thai sourced WT (Released this month) is where the difference is.
Old 26-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its possible could be worth waiting until the 2011 models (if thats what they are being called) are released. doesnt even have to be a zetec to try out the 1.6 and powershift combination, as well as checking out the plastics. the 1.4 and 4 speed auto combination will still be around as ex demo's as zetecs to buy and test drive.

Checkout both, could be worth the wait for the new one.
fiestaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers for the replies.
I don't think she will want to wait till next March haha. Also would prefer the German made model.

As for modding. She said she really only wants to do a full exhaust and some cold air intake. As for tuning, Not sure what would happen warranty wise?
She wants a small car but doesn't want it to be as slow as her excel haha. She doesn't need a xr6 turbo or anything like that tho. Thats my next car :P
I have seen some full turbo kits for about 6k on the net but i guess that would just ruin all ya warranty =/

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 26-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cheers for the replies.
I don't think she will want to wait till next March haha. Also would prefer the German made model.

As for modding. She said she really only wants to do a full exhaust and some cold air intake. As for tuning, Not sure what would happen warranty wise?
She wants a small car but doesn't want it to be as slow as her excel haha. She doesn't need a xr6 turbo or anything like that tho. Thats my next car :P
I have seen some full turbo kits for about 6k on the net but i guess that would just ruin all ya warranty =/
most mods would see the warranty voided. so you'd have to either wait for the warranty to go then mod it, or risk it. saying that, the WS does seem to hav been quite reliable (tell me if im wrong), therefore you might be ok there. Plus you would still be able to claim on non-mechanical parts.

but then again, depending on the mods, you might be fine with the warranty, as long as there is no reason for Ford to see that that mod caused an issue, but they do seem to blame the mod quite often.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly... I know nothing about these fords. What does WS n all that stand for? lol

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 26-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol the WS is the model your looking at, 2009, 2010. before that was the WQ which was 2006-2008 i think. and before that was the WP, 2004-2005. oh and the WT is the new 2011 model
Old 26-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok sweet thanks :P hahaha

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 26-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no worries

I'll add that the fiesta is a fantastic choice for a small car. fantastic to drive, good quality, plenty of character. In a straight line isnt one of their strongest points i'd say, they arent bad, but arent made for straight line performance. that said modding it would help that quite a lot.

Either that, or find an XR4.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Auto won't feel much faster than her Excel.

Add an exhaust system, cold air intake system which you can order from the UK for about $3-400 bucks (filter, intake hose etc.) and possible a re-tune of the ECU and you might squeeze another 6-10kw out of the engine.

Not sure about turbo/supercharger options. Pretty high compression ratio on the Fiesta engines already, might run into some trouble with a turbo. There is a supercharger kit for the 1.6L engine which is about $4k.

Personally (and I know she doesn't WANT) to wait, I would be getting a WT Fiesta (the new 2011 model).

They will actually be available for purchase before Christmas in Australia, it's just the Zetec model delayed until March. But most of the Zetec "options" you can get fitted to the lower models at a later date.

Having the bigger 1.6L engine is a HUGE positive - more mods available (most of the UK have this engine), more power to begin with and one of the best transmissions on the market (the Powershift).

If you can convince her to hold off until late this year/early next year, it will be worth the wait from her point of view.

Either that or teach her to drive a manual car!
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
Auto won't feel much faster than her Excel.

Add an exhaust system, cold air intake system which you can order from the UK for about $3-400 bucks (filter, intake hose etc.) and possible a re-tune of the ECU and you might squeeze another 6-10kw out of the engine.

Not sure about turbo/supercharger options. Pretty high compression ratio on the Fiesta engines already, might run into some trouble with a turbo. There is a supercharger kit for the 1.6L engine which is about $4k.

Personally (and I know she doesn't WANT) to wait, I would be getting a WT Fiesta (the new 2011 model).

They will actually be available for purchase before Christmas in Australia, it's just the Zetec model delayed until March. But most of the Zetec "options" you can get fitted to the lower models at a later date.

Having the bigger 1.6L engine is a HUGE positive - more mods available (most of the UK have this engine), more power to begin with and one of the best transmissions on the market (the Powershift).

If you can convince her to hold off until late this year/early next year, it will be worth the wait from her point of view.

Either that or teach her to drive a manual car!
Was going to say that, LOL. Teach her to drive manual because the manual version has better outcome and postitive feedbacks from fiesta owners. 1.6 in a manual is the best, and someone said the WS is quite reliable - you're right, it is very reliable, I still own the WS fiesta a year later - still running strong!
Old 27-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
Cheech
HELL YES

Check out here for mod parts:

pumaspeed.co.uk

I am just about to order the j1 cold air intake & eibach springs for a new 2010 fiesta CL that I'm picking up Friday. Will mod exhaust once these are fitted.

Also, if you do search on the Mountune website, the 140hp upgrade kit quotes bringing the 0-100 time down from 8.9 to 7.9. Mountune did cold air intake, exhaust and some tweaking of the ecu. So it appears that good results are possible with only a 15kw (20hp) increase.

Last edited by Cheech; 27-10-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
Cheech
HELL YES

Should be 9.9 down to 7.9 above
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
trento
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
Check out here for mod parts:

pumaspeed.co.uk

I am just about to order the j1 cold air intake & eibach springs for a new 2010 fiesta CL that I'm picking up Friday. Will mod exhaust once these are fitted.

Also, if you do search on the Mountune website, the 140hp upgrade kit quotes bringing the 0-100 time down from 8.9 to 7.9. Mountune did cold air intake, exhaust and some tweaking of the ecu. So it appears that good results are possible with only a 15kw (20hp) increase.
let me know what the j1 is like.. trying to decide between it and the k&n CAIS.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #17
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The mountune kit will void your warranty at the moment, as ford oz wont get off their lazy backsides, but now that the fez is coming out in the USA, that should hopefully see heaps of mods come out for it, in the next year or so..

If you cant wait for the new auto, I'd get the manual... most people on here who have the auto, say its pretty sluggish... Unless you wanna be revving the crap out of the little 1.4 all the time...

Good luck!!!
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #18
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I went into ford earlier today.
They all ready have the brand new 6 speed auto 2011 models on the floor to sell. The guy told me they got released early. He quoted me 21,500 drive away for a 6 speed auto in the grey color with all basic extras like blue tooth, ipod, abs, All that stuff.
As you can tell the missus is keen, Only thing I don't like about it is, The 6 speed auto doesn't have sequential shift.

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 28-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was that for a CL, LX or Zetec? Perhaps they got the Zetec in early? I was under the impression it was here March 2011. True the 6-Speed doesn't have SSS, but it's a duel clutch setup so it's smooth as and has been getting rave reviews in the Focus Turbo Diesel. Did you go for a spin in it?
Old 28-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Yeah, like danny said, have you taken it for a spin? if it statisfy you, then just buy it for the misuss! :
Old 28-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #21
AG3

*deleted*
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Was that for a CL, LX or Zetec? Perhaps they got the Zetec in early? I was under the impression it was here March 2011. True the 6-Speed doesn't have SSS, but it's a duel clutch setup so it's smooth as and has been getting rave reviews in the Focus Turbo Diesel. Did you go for a spin in it?

Yeah I said to the dealer I thought it wasn't till next March but apparently ford just wanted to release them early.
They feel nice inside even for a smaller car.
Were going to wait for 6 months tho, Gives us a chance to save a big deposit, Too the point we would pretty much own in. And get a ex demo model. Were only 20 years old we don't need new cars in my opinion.
But were going to take one for a test drive ;)

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 29-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I said to the dealer I thought it wasn't till next March but apparently ford just wanted to release them early.
They feel nice inside even for a smaller car.
Were going to wait for 6 months tho, Gives us a chance to save a big deposit, Too the point we would pretty much own in. And get a ex demo model. Were only 20 years old we don't need new cars in my opinion.
But were going to take one for a test drive ;)
Gee that's great, might have to chase a few Ford dealers and see how good this new PowerShift is for myself. Be interesting to check the inside out too and compare to the German sourced cars. Good for you mate, good luck! Hopefully you find a nice ex-demo in the right colour and trim
Old 10-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #24
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well guys, The missus doesnt really care about the difference between the cars as I don't see why she would... She isnt a rev head :P

But we have found a 2009 fiesta zetec for sale. Its an auto with 40xxx kays on the clock and was built in april last year. He wants $13,000 for it. Can you guys n girls give me some advice on what to look for with these car when test driving them?

Thanks

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:28 AM   #25
stevenfiesta

Wow that is really cheap! Is there anything wrong with it?

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 xtreme bulbs, Fiesta mats,
Slim line weather shields, Bonnet protector, Dash mat, Centre console, TomTom iphone navigator,
chrome door trim, chrome for the grill.

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly a sunroof?!
stevenfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #26
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenfiesta
Wow that is really cheap! Is there anything wrong with it?

He claims the only thing wrong with it is that some idiots had some chemical spray and put some on this driver side door and its eaten some of the paint... But claims its only the driver side door =/ If thats the case and we get it cheaper it would probably be worth painting it ai???

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 13-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

If the car has been touched with some sort of chemical compound that corrodes paintwork ... I'd stay away.

Stuff like that can be difficult to remove, even with proper washing. And if it's already eating the paint on one door, it doesn't sound too good.

Why spend $13k on a 12-month old car which has a dodgy paint job?

IMO (and just my opinion, plenty of valid arguments) if you are going to outlay good money on a car, why bother getting something which made need respraying entirely within 3-5 years? That's gunna cost you an extra $5k.

If you're in the position, I would buy a brand new car. Otherwise, I would keep shopping around - you'll find a 2nd hand one for $14-15k easily. There's a few on carsales.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2010, 03:07 AM   #28
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta God
If the car has been touched with some sort of chemical compound that corrodes paintwork ... I'd stay away.

Stuff like that can be difficult to remove, even with proper washing. And if it's already eating the paint on one door, it doesn't sound too good.

Why spend $13k on a 12-month old car which has a dodgy paint job?

IMO (and just my opinion, plenty of valid arguments) if you are going to outlay good money on a car, why bother getting something which made need respraying entirely within 3-5 years? That's gunna cost you an extra $5k.

If you're in the position, I would buy a brand new car. Otherwise, I would keep shopping around - you'll find a 2nd hand one for $14-15k easily. There's a few on carsales.

What if the whole door was to be sanded right back to bare metal then resprayed? This guy said he is willing to drop the price to sell it. Seems too keen to sell it =/

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Old 13-11-2010, 08:41 AM   #29
stevenfiesta

I think yea go for it if it is only the one door I would see how much that will cost to get done and then get him to take that amount of the price

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 xtreme bulbs, Fiesta mats,
Slim line weather shields, Bonnet protector, Dash mat, Centre console, TomTom iphone navigator,
chrome door trim, chrome for the grill.

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly a sunroof?!
stevenfiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #30
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing I am mainly concerned about is how keen he is to sell the car =/ But the car still has a year and a half new car warranty, So what ells could possible be wrong with it?

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread