Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

And who are the lucky ones who got (FTTP), fibre to the premises, and how and why?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

It means govco might, one day, run fibre optic to your nearest distribution point at the end of your street or housing estate etc. then rely of the old copper lines from there to your house to give you some of the speeds that the NBN originally promised. Oh, and it'll be obsolete before they even finish laying it out that way so then the next generation of shiny-bums will have to play catch up at a much greater cost than if they'd done it right the first time, so basically business as usual........ and that's only if someone doesn't move the goal posts again.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

Doesn't matter what the download speed is, they always play the stupid back channel mediocre upload speed.

you can only download as fast as someone can upload...

unless you want blindingly fast Microsoft updates to windows...LOL

It's pathetic really.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

FTTP - Fibre to the premesis (right up to your house)
FTTN - Fibre to the node (then existing copper from there to your house)

I don't really see why we want to use the already deteriorating copper in the ground which is owned by Telstra.

Theoretically ADSL2+ can give me 24mbps down and 1mbps up (which I would be happy with), but because of external factors, length of that copper wire and its condition, it started off as 18mbps down when we first got it in our area, then to around 13mbps down as of recent due to congestion and copper in the ground, now as of the last few weeks with some random issues no one can pinpoint its between 4-7mbps down and rather inconsistent.

I don't really want to be relying on that copper in the ground which is giving me problems, why couldn't we have just stuck to the plan, doing it right from the get go, spend the money now and not have an issue with this which it is already becoming one.

I'm in one of the newer estates built in the early 1990s and have started to have issues in the last 5 or so years, the rest of the town is worse apparently.

The FTTN is promising everyone 25mbps but is that going to be enough now that we have Netflix and other internet TV? We're on the verge of the next level of HD with 2160p content now on Youtube and TVs/PC Monitors which can display it, everyone is using more data to do things.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-04-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
karj
XY Falcon

What does FTTN mean? It means Government just bought back the copper network which it privatised in 1998. It means giving Telstra taxpayer money for a copper network, of which 85% of the copper is reportedly nearing end-of-life and requiring major expenditure to bring back to standard. It means less upfront capital expenditure than the FTTH model, but more taxpayer dollars over the long term to keep the dilapidated copper network in acceptable condition. It means if we want to go FTTH in the future (which is likely), it will cost many more taxpayer dollars than it originally would have to do it in the first place. It means the Government looks good over the short-term 3 year electoral cycle because they "saved money" and saved us from the "outrageous waste and mismanagement" of the previous mob.
5 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 AM   #6
Ruination

I have FTTP.
How? Well I built in a new private estate that was allocated FTTP before any changes were made to the NBN and their archaic FTTN.

However even with FTTP the fastest possible connection speeds are 100mb down and 40mb up compared to ADSL2's 25mb (which is impossible to get anyway unless you live in the exchange)
Again though, FTTP is faultless, and it'll maintain those speeds as the cabling is infinitely superior to Telstra's disgusting infrastructure.

There is also the future in which FTTP will eventually have its speed increased even further. But no idea of when that will ever happen.

It'll be hard to stream Netflix with adsl2 in HD. So many variables to consider.
With Fibre, you have nothing to worry, other than the fact Netflix Australia has a terrible catalogue.
4 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not hard to change to the Netflix US catalogue
unblock-us.com/
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 08:09 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What's the point of going to Netflix if your infrastructure can't handle the data speeds to watch anything. If 85% of the country can't handle even ADSL2 then Netflix just made a bad business decision coming to Australia....unless they know something we don't.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #9
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It means nothing at all if you aren't even on the 5 year plan.

FTTN was a political sop to stop Telstra spitting the dummy over them not building the fibre network. That it also helps raise significant revenue for the use of an already past it's use by date copper network is just a bonus for Telstra.

The reality is that like any GovCo project, the end cost of the original network was going to be stupid thanks to the poor management and greed of most of the suppliers to the project - and I do know what I am talking about on that score but it is something we are going to have to do anyway so we might as well have bitten the bullet now.

Stupidity reigns supreme as usual.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FTTP is not just about private citizens' ability to download TV shows, FTTP would've brought regional areas up to the same internet standard as capital city CBDs, which would have been a boon for businesses, public services and decentralisation. Instead we are getting inferior FTTN that has nowhere near the speed (especially the crucial upload speed needed for file transfer, videoconferencing etc. that would have been useful in remote locations).

Regional cities would've been just as viable for you to set up a technology business in as a capital city; imagine the growth that that would have brought the local economy instead of it all remaining in Brisbane or Sydney or whatever your major city may be.

Other countries with FTTN are already replacing it with FTTP and this would have been our chance to skip that costly step in the process but now we're going to have to pay for it twice, once now to get FTTN and once in 5-10 years time to upgrade to FTTP when we realise we are lagging behind the rest of the world.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some can't or won't look past the fact that fibre network is more useful than downloading movies or music.

It also would be an enabler in health, education and business to name a few. You only need to see the evolution from dialup to see that what we have now we hold us back.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And who are the lucky ones who got (FTTP), fibre to the premises, and how and why?
all of the central coast is very much FTTP, my house included.
my IP6 node is Coffs harbour some 600k away ping is .000ms,
funny that my IP4 is at Richmond some 50k away and the ping is .020ms.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Of course if you want an experts opinion just ask John Clarke and Brian Dawe
(if you've never heard of them, you don't know what you're missing )

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-2...n-back/6350344
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 AM   #14
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
FTTP is not just about private citizens' ability to download TV shows, FTTP would've brought regional areas up to the same internet standard as capital city CBDs, which would have been a boon for businesses, public services and decentralisation. Instead we are getting inferior FTTN that has nowhere near the speed (especially the crucial upload speed needed for file transfer, videoconferencing etc. that would have been useful in remote locations).

Regional cities would've been just as viable for you to set up a technology business in as a capital city; imagine the growth that that would have brought the local economy instead of it all remaining in Brisbane or Sydney or whatever your major city may be.

Other countries with FTTN are already replacing it with FTTP and this would have been our chance to skip that costly step in the process but now we're going to have to pay for it twice, once now to get FTTN and once in 5-10 years time to upgrade to FTTP when we realise we are lagging behind the rest of the world.
And I'm not even sure if any upgrade later on from FTTN to FTTP will be at the governments expense. There is info around on the net that indicates home owners/businesses can foot the bill to run fibre from their house to the box at the end of the street should they wish to upgrade.

I'm on ADSL2+ and have trouble streaming standard definition movies with my Apple TV, sometimes it'll stream uninterrupted for a whole movie and at other times it'll buffer every 20 seconds, disgraceful!

This whole NBN scheme sounds very similar to the governments Roof Insulation debacle!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #15
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Other countries with FTTN are already replacing it with FTTP and this would have been our chance to skip that costly step in the process but now we're going to have to pay for it twice, once now to get FTTN and once in 5-10 years time to upgrade to FTTP when GOVCO realize we are STILL lagging behind the rest of the world.
Fixed that for ya.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
What's the point of going to Netflix if your infrastructure can't handle the data speeds to watch anything. If 85% of the country can't handle even ADSL2 then Netflix just made a bad business decision coming to Australia....unless they know something we don't.
Same reason why Ultra High Definition TV's are available, despite the fact most the digital channels aren't even HD...let alone UHD.

Fear not though, telstra are soon releasing 5G coverage!

Probably will charge $20 per gig for it too
Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #17
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post
Same reason why Ultra High Definition TV's are available, despite the fact most the digital channels aren't even HD...let alone UHD.

Oh, so the people with far more money than sense can throw some of it away on something they're only going to be able to utilize periodically instead of all the time like it was designed for. Yup, now I see, how silly of me.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 06-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post

I've got a 60" TV thats not even connected to Foxtel/FTA which is available in the house, I don't watch TV I only using it for smashing out some gaming here and there.

Find out about series through the internet and get whats good, thats about it, Foxtel is junk because its full of ads on the series/documentaries etc.

FTA TV movies only come out on there 300 years later and they're full of ads, not worth watching.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-04-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

NTF6 - I was hoping you had some information about us getting NBN out here in Alice!

I too have sporadic issues with our ADSL - sometimes we can stream TV without issue and sometimes it'll buffer every 30 seconds as you say.

There was that article not to long ago in the paper that suggests by the end of 2016 we'll have FTTN, which I guess will hopefully be better than what we've got now.

Although the article also mentioned that new Kilgariff estate won't be getting it. It'll be satellite NBN only! Unbelievable.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 PM   #20
nstg8a

We have fttp here, we just built our house, and then nbnco came along a week later and added their little box to the side of the house.
Trouble is, our area doesn't get activated until the whole area is finished... Somewhere between 3-9 months they say.
So we either pay $300 to have Telstra connect adsl2 in the meantime, and then potentially switch to nbn in 3 months time... Noting that we will have no choice to switch. Once nbn goes live in this area adsl2 is shut off.
So we decided to wait until nbn is finished, they do the install for free then.
We also have ****poor cell reception here. Can't use my Optus mobile in the house at all, and it only just works outside. But according to Optus I'm smack bang in the middle of 5 towers lol.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
bradles024

I just got a box installed last week on the side of my house with nbnco on the side, what does this mean? Do I have to get nbn? I currently have Telstra adsl.
bradles024 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradles024 View Post
I just got a box installed last week on the side of my house with nbnco on the side, what does this mean? Do I have to get nbn? I currently have Telstra adsl.
From what you say and from what I understand is that you will be one of the lucky ones who will get FTTP (fibre to the premises). NBNCo install a box on the outside of the house and Telstra install a box on the inside of the house.

Last edited by NTF6; 06-04-2015 at 01:47 PM.
NTF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #23
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
NTF6 - I was hoping you had some information about us getting NBN out here in Alice!

I too have sporadic issues with our ADSL - sometimes we can stream TV without issue and sometimes it'll buffer every 30 seconds as you say.

There was that article not to long ago in the paper that suggests by the end of 2016 we'll have FTTN, which I guess will hopefully be better than what we've got now.

Although the article also mentioned that new Kilgariff estate won't be getting it. It'll be satellite NBN only! Unbelievable.
About 9000 homes and businesses in Alice are supposed to be on NBN by July 2016, unfortunately none will be FTTP. Spoke to my BIL yesterday who lives in Darwin and he is already on FTTP and has been for about 6 months with blindingly fast speeds, they did his whole suburb in 3 months. He did register for it about 2 years ago though. His suburb and 1 other are apparently the only 2 suburbs in Darwin that will be getting FTTP the rest like us will be FTTN.

Telstra really do suck, I have a long story that I am still trying to resolve with them at the moment. I used to ADSL2+ and they inadvertently down graded me to ASDL. Then when I told them to fix it they said they couldn't because there were no ADSL2+ ports left at the exchange

So then a Telstra tech calls me from the exchange and says he is looking at my connection and I am already on an ADSL2+ port (which I new I was because I used to have ADSL2+)

1 month later they have upgrade my package to ADSL2+ (now paying for it ...again) but still only receiving ADSL speeds

Last edited by NTF6; 06-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.
NTF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #24
bradles024

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
From what you say and from what I understand is that you will be one of the lucky ones who will get FTTP (fibre to the premises). NBNCo install a box on the outside of the house and Telstra install a box on the inside of the house.
It's hooked up to a telstra box which is also outside of the house.

Do they let you know when it's ready to go? The guy that installed it didn't have any answers.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:56 PM   #25
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Do they let you know when it's ready to go? The guy that installed it didn't have any answers.
I believe as someone else stated the whole suburb has to be completed first but you may also have to register for it as well but I'm not too sure on that one.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #26
bradles024

Thanks mate
Old 06-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

your ready to go now, just give your ISP a call and they will send a tech to finish it off.

compatible router and so on..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
bradles024

I've still got some time left on my adsl contract, do I need to wait for that to finish or do they just change it over?
Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our little street got done over a year ago. Fibre to the premise, the funny thing is not a single person on the street is signing up to NBN as it is quite expensive and personally I am very happy with my current broadband arrangements.

We live on a street with a lot of retirees, pensioners so not much interest talking to my neighbours.

Would of preferred that they did Fibre to the node and we simply pay to have a further connection. Seems like a huge waste of taxpayer money on something that none of us requested. At least it future proofs the houses.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #30
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Live 15 minutes west of Brisbane/Ipswich, no internet of any description unless we use Mobile G3. (Gotta have an Arial on the roof though). Interestiong the mob, just 3km west of us, (yes further away from the city), have ADSL2+ and are getting NBN in three months.
Contacted NBN, told we will go on wireless NBN in 2022. Said, what a bout the new satellite being launched next year, nope not us, that reserved for rural subscribers. Should be fun!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post