Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Drag racing tips

Quick tip......
When you launch the car, always leave on the LAST amber light....your car will react better and a lot of races have been won with a slower time purely because you have left with a better reaction time.....;)
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #32
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 
Talking Re: Drag racing tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
Yeah that was the commodore next to me. I nearly stalled that one lol. Mine's the one that you can hear over everything else.
LOL I wasn't going to credit the Holden!
Giant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 AM   #33
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicXR6T View Post
Quick tip......
When you launch the car, always leave on the LAST amber light....your car will react better and a lot of races have been won with a slower time purely because you have left with a better reaction time.....;)
I find with my car if i wait till the third amber its already too late. Maybe manuals/hi stalled auto's or something with simply more torque would react quicker though. I'm generally still looking at my dash though and leaving my peripheral vision for the amber lights.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #34
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising Nulon to sponsor AFF. 

Roll out and driver reaction is different for every car and person.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's right....but its just a streeter with 18-19in rims so rollout wont be hard to work out...
Hence my advice to start with leaving on the last amber and work out what works best for him
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #36
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off to Whoop *** Wednesday, err, this Wednesday 15/3, at the Kwinana Motorplex. If any of you guys are there and recognise the Nitro Tray Ute, stop and say hello.

Read some of the great tips. Just like Kable, I'm starting to feel a bit of anxiety (better up the meds eh ), how will I go, will I hurt the car etc. Spent an hour cleaning the interior and emptying the Ute of all non essential items to save weight, you know, pieces of paper, grains of sand in the carpet etc. Tomorrow, I'll give the Ute a wash. All the fluids are in good nick and fairly fresh. Ready for launch.

Thanks Kable and others for good advice about the clutch. Like most, I've never driven on a sticky track, I can't imagine how it might affect the takeoff.

First run, I will leave TC on, rpm around 3k and then let the clutch out and leave it at that. If it fluffs, well, I'll change a few things, damn I just want to get over the line in one piece. One thing for sure, when I pass the 1/4 mile, I'll probably be going faster than I ever have in my life (that's how green I am - just turned 50 too).

Will post times and etc.

Just hope they don't place me alongside some Holden kid with a worked Godzilla monster car thing (unless it's my mates Holden Ute). I'll be so stressed on the line, I might put the car in reverse.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Roflmao, just enjoy yourself mate. There is a first for everything as the Americans say. You'll enjoy every bit of it. By the end of it you'll wish the line wasn't so long!
Old 14-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #38
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the track is sticky try upping the psi in the rear tyres.
Old 14-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #39
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck mate.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #40
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've put 42 in the front and 32lb in the rear. I assume there is an air pump up there if I have to make adjustments.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #41
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry about what pulls up next to you, I never did; you are racing yourself and trying to get the best out of your car, improving each time you go out. What's in next lane is not important, just focus on your car and what you are doing.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11361067
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #42
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I've had a couple goes at just mashing the accelerator when the light goes green. I need to stall it up (4 spd auto) though because my 60' times are pretty poor and I think the lack of 'launch' is hurting the 1/4 mile time and speed. My best was 103mph, but that was with letting it roll off the line for a split second before hitting the loud pedal. I only ran a 14.2. The car should get into the 13s in a future attempt, and then that's it for me
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #43
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
I've had a couple goes at just mashing the accelerator when the light goes green. I need to stall it up (4 spd auto) though because my 60' times are pretty poor and I think the lack of 'launch' is hurting the 1/4 mile time and speed. My best was 103mph, but that was with letting it roll off the line for a split second before hitting the loud pedal. I only ran a 14.2. The car should get into the 13s in a future attempt, and then that's it for me
Yours a turbo?
Old 16-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #44
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Yours a turbo?
BA XR8 but it has lower diff gears than standard. Still, I doubt there'd be many turbos slower than that - even stock ones.

Anyone know what rpm I should be trying to launch a relatively standard (power wise) XR8 auto at?
Old 16-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #45
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
BA XR8 but it has lower diff gears than standard. Still, I doubt there'd be many turbos slower than that - even stock ones.

Anyone know what rpm I should be trying to launch a relatively standard (power wise) XR8 auto at?
Before the wheels start spinning.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #46
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Before the wheels start spinning.
It does this at just over idle in the burnout area. I haven't tried it on the start line as mentioned in my post, I'll have to test it and report back next time I go to the track. I'm not trying it on the street.
Old 16-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #47
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
It does this at just over idle in the burnout area. I haven't tried it on the start line as mentioned in my post, I'll have to test it and report back next time I go to the track. I'm not trying it on the street.
Best to test and find where you can launch with minimal tyre spin.
Old 19-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #48
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Yes, that's what I'll have to do. Just getting in enough runs to try it every which way can be difficult when every other man and his dog is there. Ahhh well, I can't afford to rent the whole place out so that's just how it is. I seems to have the power to be able to go quicker, but there's definitely more skill in drag racing than I thought there was tbh. Cheers.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 19-08-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: the
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #49
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Yes, that's what I'll have to do. Just getting in enough runs to try it every which way can be difficult when every other man and his dog is there. Ahhh well, I can't afford to rent the whole place out so that's just how it is. I seems to have the power to be able to go quicker, but there's definitely more skill in drag racing than I thought there was tbh. Cheers.
I know what you mean. Having our track open once a month isn't enough lol. Though if it was open any more, I'd go through a clutch alot quicker and I can't afford a replacement right now :P
Old 20-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #50
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The burnout area is wet concrete pretty much any car can spin the wheels here.

You will have much greater grip on the line with all the rubber and traction compound, adjust your rear tyre pressures to aid launching grip.
Old 20-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #51
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Drive around the water Allan don't waste your time burning out on street rubber.

Oh and lower your rear tyre pressure to at least 25psi

HTH
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #52
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving around the burnout box can meaning driving over lose rubber and dirt, this crap has a habit of sticking to your tyres and reducing traction. The build up of the lose rubber and crap is due to the fact they use leaf blowers to blow that stuff out of the burnout box area.

Sometimes its better to just do a quick spin of the wheels in the burn out box to clean the wheels.

Test the best tyre pressure by placing a bit of water on concrete and then driving forward onto dry concrete and check your tracks / contact patch and adjust until you get the biggest foot print.

If you have somewhere where you can legally do a burnout you can just do a short 1 foot skid get out and check the pattern and adjust the pressures accordingly.

Also remember when you stall up the car will squat at the rear forcing the rear tyres into the track.
Old 21-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #53
marcyeo

How does the christmas tree work - if I want to perfect my launch so I get a good grip off the line with minimal wheelspin and want to take my time getting the correct revs, will this be included in the 1/4 mile time, or will it only affect my reaction time?

As in does it start recording times only when you start to leave the line? Cos for my first time I probably don't care about reaction times rather than getting a good launch..

OLD
2010 FPV F6 FG - Herrod CAI, Pedders extreme XA's, Whiteline fr & rear swaybars, PWR stepped IC, injectors, turbo dump pipe with Venom cat, Herrod piping kit = 350rwkw
marcyeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

It's once you leave a certain area, not once the green goes so feel free to take your time.
Old 22-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #55
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will only effect your reaction time, the ET timer only starts once you brake the start beam.
Old 22-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #56
335POWER
formerly Troy23

what would you guys say to a guy who has NEVER raced, in any capacity, other than "WTF are you doing!!??"

Mods: Pacemaker competition headers, hi flow cat, x-force cat back exhaust, K&N air filter, Kings SSSL springs, Herrod CAI, Powerbond under drive, XR6T injectors[B]
335POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #57
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy23 View Post
what would you guys say to a guy who has NEVER raced, in any capacity, other than "WTF are you doing!!??"
Go for it, but its addictive. Ive dabbled in it for 45 years........
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #58
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy23 View Post
My first few times I got really anxious whilst waiting. You're not going to get the best out of the car the first time you run it, so don't even try. Take some psi out of the wheels, stall it up a bit and go from there. Wait for the green light and see how long it takes to react. Then slowly start pushing for more and try get to a pout where you understand what is happening.
Old 23-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #59
Giant
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go and enjoy don't worry about times or others just have fun
Old 23-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #60
King Dribble

Hey Marceo, are you going to the Mackay track? Its the closest.
1000hp Plazmaman FMIC kit. 660cc Blueprinted injectors. Modified turbo housing and actuator. Bluepower CAI. 4" X-force turbo back exhaust. Atomic valve springs and Herrod Motorsport 400 L/Hr in tank pump. Turbosmart dual port BOV. X-Cal 3 and custom tuned. Pedders sportsrider suspension. Lets call it 399.3RWKW. Extra trans cooler for protection. (I don't like milk)
King Dribble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post