Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > The Sales Yard > Spare Parts and Other Accessory Items

Spare Parts and Other Accessory Items For all other Car Parts and any general items for sale. Note: ALL transactions in these forums are done at your own risk. FordForums Australia Inc. does NOT take responsibility for any aspect of any item or transaction that may take place via the site.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Technical conbtributions 
Default (VIC) Part [BA|BF] Electrochromic (Auto Dimming) Mirrors

Part Sales Form

State
: VIC

Type
: Part

Condition
: Used

Item
: [BA|BF] Electrochromic (Auto Dimming) Mirrors

Price
: 70 each

Other relevant information.

I have a couple Electrochromic Mirrors for sale (Electric Auto Dimming Mirror).

These are the high series mirrors found on B-Series LTD's and some Territory Ghia models. They are used but in working condition, I have made up a special wiring loom for them so they are simply plug and play, the connector plugs into the 4 pin AUX Power Connector at the Dashboard (usually behind the fuse panel in the drivers footwell) and then runs up the drivers side A-Pillar, at which point there is a junction connector that can be unplugged if ever the dash needs removing (so you dont have to pull out the whole loom) and then continue under the roof lining up to the mirror.

For those who are not sure what this is, basically, its an electronic dimming mirror,there is a light sensor in the front of the mirror and one in the back, if the sensor facing out on the road in front of you detects low light (Night Driving) and the one facing into the cabin/behind your car detects a higher light level (Car behind with bright headlights), the mirror surface dimms down and becomes less reflective so when you look into it you don't get blinded with the reflection of someone elses bright lights, which seems to happen a lot to me now driving a Falcon which compared to all the people who drive SUV's and 4WD's is low, so their headlights shine right through the back window and into the mirrors, usually while they tailgate too.
(It should be noted the mirror does not work in a single on or off state, it varies the reflectivness depending on light levels)

You will get The Mirror, A Wiring Loom and the screw that tightens the mirror to the windscreen.

May suit Territory models also, but the wiring was measured for length to suit Falcons....
mainly because its more useful to a Falcon driver and not really needed in a high up Territory.

Sam1112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #2
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Technical conbtributions 
Default Re: (VIC) Part [BA|BF] Electrochromic (Auto Dimming) Mirrors

Still got a couple left, I can also remove your old mirror for you on pickup if we are close.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
ruchira88
Starter Motor

Where in VIC are you located Sam? Also can you install it?
ruchira88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Yes I can remove the old Mirror and install. Sending you a PM now.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

4 Sold, Only 1 Left (Might be a second one in a box in the shed, but I'll need to make a loom for it)
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Looking at doing a custom install. Do the OFF and AUTO buttons light up with ACC on? What colour to they light up? Please say red?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxg View Post
Looking at doing a custom install. Do the OFF and AUTO buttons light up with ACC on? What colour to they light up? Please say red?

Sorry, the button are not backlit, there is a green LED that lights up in one of the little holes on the front of it when the mirror is turned on though.

For a Custom Install, what car were you thinking of fitting it too?

The wiring loom is made to plug into the Mobile Phone power connector in the BA/BF - SX/SY, but I think that connector is also present in AU and EL Falcon's, so it might still be plug and play in them too.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

More now Available again.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
diceman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1112 View Post
More now Available again.

Do these come with the cover that hides the loom from the mirror to the roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VZ Monaro CV8 Phantom Black
diceman01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #10
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman01 View Post
Do these come with the cover that hides the loom from the mirror to the roof?

No sorry they dont, I have never seen one of those covers in any vehicle I have removed one of the mirrors from, I managed to get one once from an old Ford Explorer, but even then it was a type of different mirror and I modified it to fit my Falcon.

If you had to purchase one it might be worth doing a group buy for something like this or another one similar.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/universal...AAAOxydB1SntZc
Old 16-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
xeghia82

If anyone is thinking about getting a mirror or any parts off Sam, do yourselves are favour and do it already!

Sam offered to install my mirror for me and even though my old mirror was being stubborn and not coming off straight away, he still stayed to install it all!

Thanks again Sam!!
xeghia82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 06:44 PM   #12
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

One mirror left again, may have more in the next week or two though.
Old 18-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #13
diceman01

Quote:
One mirror left again, may have more in the next week or two though.

PM sent

Old 24-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

More available again!
Old 15-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #15
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Bump, Still Available.
Old 15-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #16
diceman01

Quote:
Bump, Still Available.
Guys I met up with Sam the other week and installed a mirror in my AU wagon works great! He is a nice guy willing to help out with no pressure at all.
Old 17-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #17
Grave Walker
Starter Motor

Another one for Sam, really nice guy, very helpful, fitted mirror to my AU1 works great
Grave Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Plenty of Mirrors available again.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #19
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a great deal. By the time you source a mirror, and the plugs to make a pass-thru harness, and fart around making that harness, it's a no-brainer to simply buy the package.

Wish this was around 3 years ago when I did one in my FG. Although I spent a bit more & sourced a mirror from the US with the compass in it, which had to be calibrated to the local zone.

These are fantastic at night - you don't realise just how well they work, until you get in a car without it.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #20
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
This is a great deal. By the time you source a mirror, and the plugs to make a pass-thru harness, and fart around making that harness, it's a no-brainer to simply buy the package.

Wish this was around 3 years ago when I did one in my FG. Although I spent a bit more & sourced a mirror from the US with the compass in it, which had to be calibrated to the local zone.

These are fantastic at night - you don't realise just how well they work, until you get in a car without it.
I would be interested to hear more about your compass mirror, many times I have thought about getting one of those when I've seen a couple for a reasonable price, whats the deal with re-calibrating the compass, is it a special procedure or do you need to get someone to tinker with it?

Does your one have the Outside Temp feature too? I thought those ones would be good for the low series cars without the factory temp sensor. But the mirror probably only reads the temp in oF, not oC.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #21
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To change the zone it's only a matter of holding down certain buttons - so it's all user done. Just google 'Gentex compass calibration' or 'Donnelly compass calibration' and you'll find a few hits with the full details.

I have seen the temp sensor ones, but didn't pursue them. The FG doesn't need it, and I don't like the much larger "window" in the mirror surface, but there's nothing stopping you fitting one to a car, as long as you get the correct sensor - there's dedicated pins in the back of the mirror for it, and the pinouts are commonly available online. You can swap them from F to C too.
Old 13-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #22
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Thanks for that bit of info, the Temp sensor ones don't really bother me as I have a Fairmont with the temp gauge on the ICC, but for an XR6 or XT it would be a nice added feature, I have thought about contacting a few sellers in the US and purchasing multiple mirrors from them of assorted compass, temp or standard ones and just get a big parcel with a whole bunch sent over instead of paying for just one mirror to get sent.

I was looking at the ones that have the compass and temp sensor on the same small screen and the buttons on the mirror are used to switch between which of the two are displayed. I just really need to find a seller with multiple mirrors for sale.

Best thing is most of the US sellers give you a loom cover, the mirror plug cut off loom and the temp sensor with the loom cut off too.
Old 13-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #23
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Plenty of Mirrors available again.
Where does the wiring go and how is it hidden.
How long to instal approx
Have a BFGT and may be interested in this but needs to look neat and tidy and factory.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #24
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Best thing is most of the US sellers give you a loom cover, the mirror plug cut off loom and the temp sensor with the loom cut off too.
Yes, the yanks are good like that. Mine came with about 3 feet of harness, and a cover that I didn't end up using.

The compass ones also have the magnetic sensor in the body section where it fits onto the windscreen mount, hidden under a larger plastic housing that clips over the mount. Depending on the car it came from, some even have a massive housing section on the mount, covering other things like rain sensors.

The GNTX177 is one of the more common mirrors with a compass in it, but I have found 2 variations in the housing around the mount. It hides additional circuitry and a magnetic sensor for the compass.

Some have this additional "lump" located below the actual mount, others are to the side. I got 2 mirrors sent over - one of each (post was something like $2 more for the extra one). In the FG, I found the side-mounted one to hide behind the black windscreen masking a lot better, but it fouled where my dashcam is mounted. I ended up using the one with the sensor housing below the mount, and about 3-4mm of the body of the housing is exposed below the black mask of the windscreen. I doubt anyone would notice, but I know it's there....

This is an example of the "beside" sensor in the housing around the mount:
https://www.epartsland.com/products/...eplacement-for

And this thread shows the mirror with the sensor below the mount, like what I have:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/g...nstall-134747/
Old 25-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #25
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would it work in AU LTD?

I also want a factory looking install.
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2017, 04:14 PM   #26
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Would it work in AU LTD?

I also want a factory looking install.
Yes, can definitely fit them to an LTD, have fitted these to AU Wagons and Utes
Old 26-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #27
Bobman
Regulator

I've got a few of these mirrors with the loom cover as well.

Weird that you haven't come across the loom cover, but it's a pretty flimsy small piece of plastic.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #28
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
I've got a few of these mirrors with the loom cover as well.

Weird that you haven't come across the loom cover, but it's a pretty flimsy small piece of plastic.
I would bet that any of the cars that did have the loom covers either had them broken, or that was one of the parts people slip into their pocket and
take for their own car, diceman told me that you can get the covers new from Ford Dealers still, just ask for the cover to suit a G6E, I brought the couple my local dealer had at the time so I do have a couple covers sitting here now.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Bump!
Old 07-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
Sam1112
Over Macho Grande??

Bump!