Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #31
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Crash in a tin-can

Hello,
It matters not what you drive,just hope you don't turn into a vegetable if you have an accident.
I drive on Gt Eastern Hwy,once a fortnight,just 200k's,and there are an equal amount of idiot car drivers and truckies and I don't want to get hit by either,but the OP was very lucky,so was the truckie!
Every time I drive past an accident scene between a bike and car I am of the opinion the bike rider died!
And,if I see a car crushed by a truck,even a 4 tonner never mind a triple full of ore then I assume the car driver is dead, its just an assumption,sometimes I think if they lived would they be better off dead!
Sometimes I think "don't drive" if it scares you being on a congested road,or open road with big trucks if you are a nervy sort of person.

People cause accidents,not the vehicles they drive!

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #32
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crash in a tin-can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
a host of other modern design features, make your average new car a lot, lot safer than even a 20 yr old car, never mind the cars I grew up in. But you are still safer in a large well designed car (Merc, Volvo, etc) than in a small lightweight compact.
That's my view too, very much agree with you Crazy Dazz.
Many others of you state it doesn't matter what you drive if a truck is involved.

Traditional steel has strength usually 300 to 500 MPa, while high strength steel these days has strength around 1400 MPa or more. That's almost 3 times stronger if the thickness were the same, plus bonding techniques are used all along the panel seams, not only spot welding that easily split apart.

Here are some articles:

http://www.autofocus.ca/how-to/knowl...strength-steel

https://www.hyundai.com.au/cars/smal...strength-steel

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc

You can see how Hyundai admits or advertises how an i30 has 'a significant increase in static rigidity over outgoing model'. Even if the crash was with a truck, there are reasons to believe it would have looked differently if it had been in a newer or more prestige car.

I have done some panel work on FG and on BA/BF and seen how Ford has increased use of AHSS. Similarly from reading the body repair manuals for the new Ranger it is described that it has a lot more AHSS than previous PJ/PK model. Also from working on my BMW E90 and E83 I have seen how BMW for more than 15 years have been using high strength bonding of most of the body seams in the passenger compartment of their models. Ford Australia didn't use bonding, and many other non-prestige manufacturers doesn't either.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post