Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
LordFordNZ

Default MC Mondeo front discs/rotors

Looking at changing the front discs on MC Mondeo TDCI, and see on ebay there seem to be 2 size stud holes (13.8mm vs 15.8mm). Short of pulling the wheels off to measure them, is there a way to know which ones to go for?. I just the rear discs, and the holes in the discs were bigger than the studs, though the locating screw centred everything up on the hub, so was wondering if in doubt go the bigger hole ?)
Old 19-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MC Mondeo front discs/rotors

Here is a post I did a few years back, it has part numbers to help you; https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...ght=mondeo+ate
Old 19-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFordNZ View Post
Looking at changing the front discs on MC Mondeo TDCI, and see on ebay there seem to be 2 size stud holes (13.8mm vs 15.8mm). Short of pulling the wheels off to measure them, is there a way to know which ones to go for?. I just the rear discs, and the holes in the discs were bigger than the studs, though the locating screw centred everything up on the hub, so was wondering if in doubt go the bigger hole ?)
I suspect it might be a matter of wheel and lug nut combinations.

With the smaller rotor hole a lug nut may hit the rotor before it has seated onto the taper in the wheel hole properly.

Might be a problem with steel wheels (Do they ever get fitted to a Mondeo imported into OZ?) where the wheel material thickness is not as "meaty" as is usually the case for an alloy wheel.

So a larger hole in the rotor would allow the lug nut to travel further along the stud. This would mean the lug nut has engaged with more thread turns of the lug and seated properly onto the seat in the wheel.

You also need to be careful bout "acorn" type lug nuts, which need to have more tapped depth than the exposed part of the stud when the wheel is seated against the rotor.

Just a thought.

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front discs have 15.8mm stud holes on my MCs.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Faolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
I suspect it might be a matter of wheel and lug nut combinations.

With the smaller rotor hole a lug nut may hit the rotor before it has seated onto the taper in the wheel hole properly.

Might be a problem with steel wheels (Do they ever get fitted to a Mondeo imported into OZ?) where the wheel material thickness is not as "meaty" as is usually the case for an alloy wheel.

So a larger hole in the rotor would allow the lug nut to travel further along the stud. This would mean the lug nut has engaged with more thread turns of the lug and seated properly onto the seat in the wheel.

You also need to be careful bout "acorn" type lug nuts, which need to have more tapped depth than the exposed part of the stud when the wheel is seated against the rotor.

Just a thought.
Makes sense to me . My wheel nuts have an extra flange and look like they don't make itbthe to the rotor at all. I have the zetec factory alloys.
Did LordFordnz get an answer to share?
Faolan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Faolan

13.8mm stud holes on mine.
2010 MC Zetec tdci-. Standard Zetec alloys. My discs have been replaced previously by Ford.
Faolan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

you'll see in the other thread the same here, I bought these:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/ridex/7999282

sourced the pads locally Bendix GCT $75.