Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Dingo
Ford T3 Partsologist

Default Steering rack difference

Howdy

Need to replace Rack in a October 2001 XR6 with VCT - Have a rack out of AU Fairmont with VCT - But Ford saying they are not the same............

AU XR6 with VCT and AU FAIRMONT with I6 VCT have different Steering racks listed on Fords parts catalogue, i would have thort they would be the same.....

Does anybody know what the differences are please.

thanx Dingo

2002 Blueprint T3 TE50 Manual Koni Suspension # 161

T-Series Club of Australia - www.tseriesclub.org

Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Steering rack difference

I looked into it but every rack supplier assured me they're identical and differences ended when the El model ceased. (Speed sensitive and the Gt)
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #3
NCII40
XR6T BA 2002

I was told to heat shield where the extractors and rack boots meet,
Can extend the life of the rack and boots

Any thoughts?
Old 28-10-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCII40 View Post
I was told to heat shield where the extractors and rack boots meet,
Can extend the life of the rack and boots

Any thoughts?
Never known anyone to have issues with cooking boots or heating up the fluid (and inadvertently damaging the rack) like vt-vz v8's.

The extractor design on all au v8 headers ive seen is suffice (hurraciane, pacemaker and difilippo)
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfly94 View Post
Never known anyone to have issues with cooking boots or heating up the fluid (and inadvertently damaging the rack) like vt-vz v8's.

The extractor design on all au v8 headers ive seen is suffice (hurraciane, pacemaker and difilippo)
I dont know about the 8`s , but on the 6 cylinder models depending on the extractor type , they can come a bit close to the rack , mine does anyway .
the rack on the Au`s seems pretty solid , the only weak spot imo is the o ring seal at one end of the rack where they usually leak from eventually , and usually results in the whole good working rack being swapped much earlier than need be .
I think ford could have done a little better than a 50 cent o ring to the job , but it is what it is .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #6
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting question. I did a quick search and found some references in the this post, https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11206665

From member "The Mighty Red"

Quote:
Lift the bonnet of your car, look down to wear your steering column meets the steering rack , looking straight back at you will be a valve attached to the rack , if there is only one valve then it is a standard rack, If it has two valves then it is a speed sensitive rack....
This user likes this post: