Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default USA holiday.

Hi guys, next May/June wifey and I are headed stateside to have a look around. We have booked tours on both east and west coasts but we have some time to ourselves in New York and Orlando so for those who have been to either of these places and have a favourite place tell me about it. Obviously Orlando is the place of theme parks etc but if you have any suggestions, including no go places, I am all ears. We are in New York for 9 days, one of which I am traveling down to Dover for the NASCAR race. We have a booklet called the New York Pass from a friend who has been recently which gives discounts and tourist info. Specifically I would like to know if there is anything automotive that is worth the trouble of having a look cos it would be a shame that I missed it because I had time and didn't go. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: USA holiday.

With interest in NASCAR and cars, you might like visiting the Mooresville and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Most NASCAR shops have nice hospitality arrangements for visitors.

In Disney World the best place to leave at night after the fireworks is Epcot. Ii think it is the most laid back of all the Disney World (Florida) parks too. Before the evening show and Fireworks, get a table for dinner outside next to the lake. Relax, enjoy the meal, order a beer for last call and by the time you are finished, you can walk to your car and avoid most traffic. Leaving the Magic Kingdom at night is a PITA.

Seaworld can be fun too. We used to go to both places every summer for my daughters gymnastics events. I hope things are still as I recall.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
With interest in NASCAR and cars, you might like visiting the Mooresville and surrounding areas in North Carolina. Most NASCAR shops have nice hospitality arrangements for visitors.

In Disney World the best place to leave at night after the fireworks is Epcot. Ii think it is the most laid back of all the Disney World (Florida) parks too. Before the evening show and Fireworks, get a table for dinner outside next to the lake. Relax, enjoy the meal, order a beer for last call and by the time you are finished, you can walk to your car and avoid most traffic. Leaving the Magic Kingdom at night is a PITA.

Seaworld can be fun too. We used to go to both places every summer for my daughters gymnastics events. I hope things are still as I recall.
Thank you. Yes, EPCOT is being looked at and thanks for the tip on getting a table, meal and drinks. Funnily enough we have ex aussie friends in Greensville NC and were looking at catching up but didn't look possible. Then I found out they are moving to Rochester and are willing to come over to Niagra the day we are seeing the falls and have a quick catch up there. So Mooresville a no go but again thanks.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Orlando, go to NASA. Awesome place.

If you're in NYC go catch the Amtrack to Boston and/or Washington for overnighters.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Thank you. Yes, EPCOT is being looked at and thanks for the tip on getting a table, meal and drinks. Funnily enough we have ex aussie friends in Greensville NC and were looking at catching up but didn't look possible. Then I found out they are moving to Rochester and are willing to come over to Niagra the day we are seeing the falls and have a quick catch up there. So Mooresville a no go but again thanks.
The Canadian side has much better viewing than the American side at Niagra (another gymnastics related side trip).
Old 12-11-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

If you're in NYC go catch the Amtrack to Boston and/or Washington for overnighters.
Clam chowder and lobster in Boston and I am in rural country west of DC and Baltimore, for now.

If you go to Boston, try to take the "T" for traveling once in town instead of driving around. It's a lot nicer than the subways in NYC.

Great delis in NYC.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Thanks, the tour we are on goes to NASA then the last day in Miami but we will leave the tour after NASA and head back to Orlando and delete Miami to give us more time in Orlando. Not sure how yet but might be able to hire a car in Orlando and get ourselves to NASA and then we have our own transport back to Orlando. Thanks for the Amtrack tip.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
The Canadian side has much better viewing than the American side at Niagra (another gymnastics related side trip).
Yes, tour goes Toronto, Lake Ont, Welland Canal, Falls, glass walk, Table Rock, Floral Clock and a cruise later in the day. Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Boston and Washington are both on the tour but thanks for the tip.
Old 13-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wife and I did a 5 week honeymoon in the states. We didn't do any tours, rather had a peek at the booklets and chose things to do ourselves to save the coin. We did Niagara (Canada side), New York, Vegas (flying between these destinations) and from Vegas we picked up a camper. In the camper we did Grand Canyon, Death Valley, up to Reno and across to coast then down to LA (Big Sur, San Fran, Avenue of Giants etc on way down). It was a ****ing amazing trip, can't wait to go back. I'd never fly between destinations again, the speed limits were 75mph in some places so get places quick and you don't miss the **** you do in the sky. I drove 5000km in 3 weeks and it didn't even feel like it.

Next time we go back, it'll be fly into New York and pick up a camper, down the east coast and across the bottom and fly out of L.A. This gives the freedom to see whatever we like, at whatever speed we like (wife did a Contiki tour in Europe and it was nothing short of rushed).

New York Pass would be ok, but only if you plan on seeing EVERYTHING. Empire state? No try 'Top of the Rock's. Amazing views of Central Park etc. Statue of Liberty, we had no intention of climbing into the head with every other tourist. So we took the free ferry to Staten Island and got to see her (our DSLR picked up photos easily). That satisfied what we wanted to see of Libby, you may want to see closer. We used the subway for transport, or walking. No need for cabs, no need for overpriced tour buses. Any questions feel free to ask
Old 13-11-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If in Florida, Sebring race track.

Hire a gt350r the for the day and drive it like a hire car.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #12
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The New York pass is a bit hit and miss, you’ve really got to work out if it’s worth it for you before you buy it. I highly recommend seeing a show on Broadway, Museum Of Natural History is beyond words, I advise going to the One World Trade centre and Sept 11 Memorial towards the end of your day as that place does something to your soul, check out an NBA game, and ride the subway, you don’t even have to go anywhere specific, you just see some good sights and meet great people on there and might catch some flash performers. Statue Of Liberty is hit and miss, don’t be shattered if you miss it.

Little Italy just off 5th makes great pizzas, as does SBarro in Times Square. Virgles is a great BBQ smoke house, Garret’s Popcorn is worth an airfare on its own.

For the theme parks make use of the fast passes and look up which rides need them more than others. You only get so many per day so don’t waste them on rides that have short wait times. Get a park hopper pass and as said, Epcot is nice and laid back, and the night show is comparable with Magic Kindom. Universal Studios damned nearly killed me, those rides are something else!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #13
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Circle line tours is a must (boat trip around the island)

for consideration
Pop into grand central station, flash as, just a bit bigger then Sydney/Melbourne, but smaller then those in China....

Empire state building.

Outside NYC, If you're going anywhere near Michigan - Ford museum (naturally) in Dearborn, anywhere near Ohio, Dayton air force museum (needs two days), Any college ice hockey match.

You can only jam so much into one trip, but remember you can sleep on the plane flight back....
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #14
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Last time we were in NY we got a 4 day family tourist bus pass for about $240 US, which equals $15pp per day for all our transport. It is very touristy but it was great for hopping on and off and you know the next one is every 20 minutes no matter where you end up. It goes to Brooklyn and all the way up to Harlem, all the way around Manhattan etc.
Best pizza ever was Lombardi's. http://www.firstpizza.com
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2017, 12:32 AM   #15
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Here is the backbone of the trip I have done, you can take as long as you want, add or remove cities.

Fly into LA and then fly straight to Vegas.
Las Vegas. Stay 3 Days.
Drive back to LA. 1 Day Drive
Stay in LA. 3 Days.
Drive to San Fran (via Highway 1). 3 Days.
Stay in San Fransisco. 3 days
Drive to Denver. 3 Days.
Fly to Orlando
Orlando. Stay 3 Days.
Train to New Orleans. Overnight
New Orleans. Stay 3 Days
Train to Memphis. 1 Day
Memphis. Stay 3 Days
Fly to NYC. Stay 9 Days
Drive to DC. Stay 3 Day.
Fly Home.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

In Lower Manhattan just a short walk from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal in the East River there is helicopter flight services which include sightseeing with Liberty Helicopter Tours of NYC.

They take you along the Hudson River from the Statue of Liberty to the George Washington Bridge and back where can see Manhattan, it’s a great view.

While you're in the area take an opportunity to hop on the Staten Island Ferry.

https://www.libertyhelicopter.com/

https://www.libertyhelicopter.com/st...vate-tour.html

While in New York jump on a bus tour and take a day trip to Boston where you’ll be taken on a guided tour of Harvard, the city sites, the USS Constitution Museum where you can board the ship plus shown some good seafood places where you can choose to eat. They’ll pick you up from and drop you off at your hotel.

If you’re in San Francisco take a tour over the Golden Gate Bridge out to Muir Woods National Monument & Sausalito and check out the 800 year old Redwood trees, the highest being 260 feet (79 meters) plus they throw in stops at a couple of the Golden Gate Bridge lookouts .

You haven’t see a tree until you’ve seen a Redwood in all it’s glory.

https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #17
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

in nyc hit central park but do the top half of the park, them lower half is so touristy.

start at 90th street on the upper east side (grab a flat white at bluestone lane across the rd) and walk north and you will hit conservatory gardens, its an awesome little gated garden, then head around the harlem meer. a lap around that and you will get to the ice skating rink/pool depending on time of year and head up the loch walking trail, that will take you to my favourite place in nyc which is 'the pool' (you will see an awesome rustic bridge that i built) then follow it down to the belvedere castle and great lawn. that should be a nice 4-5 hours.

also don't go looking for the 'friends fountain' it isn't there but tour companies will have you believe it and take stupid photos of you jumping infront of the wrong fountain.

if you need any more nyc advice pm me and ill send you some ideas
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #18
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks, the tour we are on goes to NASA then the last day in Miami but we will leave the tour after NASA and head back to Orlando and delete Miami to give us more time in Orlando. Not sure how yet but might be able to hire a car in Orlando and get ourselves to NASA and then we have our own transport back to Orlando. Thanks for the Amtrack tip.
Kennedy Space Centre seconded. Have been twice. If driving just be aware there are tolls, the kind where you have to stop and pay so make sure you have coins/cash on you that day.

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #19
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

In New York the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier is worth a visit...has military planes, a concorde and a space shuttle.

Washington has the Smithsonians, do the Air and Space one in the city and the Udvar Hazy one out at Dulles airport.

Philadelphia is a short train ride away, Liberty Bell, Declaration of Independance, Rocky Steps etc
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
In Lower Manhattan just a short walk from the Staten Island Ferry Terminal in the East River there is helicopter flight services which include sightseeing with Liberty Helicopter Tours of NYC.

They take you along the Hudson River from the Statue of Liberty to the George Washington Bridge and back where can see Manhattan, it’s a great view.

While you're in the area take an opportunity to hop on the Staten Island Ferry.

https://www.libertyhelicopter.com/

https://www.libertyhelicopter.com/st...vate-tour.html

While in New York jump on a bus tour and take a day trip to Boston where you’ll be taken on a guided tour of Harvard, the city sites, the USS Constitution Museum where you can board the ship plus shown some good seafood places where you can choose to eat. They’ll pick you up from and drop you off at your hotel.

If you’re in San Francisco take a tour over the Golden Gate Bridge out to Muir Woods National Monument & Sausalito and check out the 800 year old Redwood trees, the highest being 260 feet (79 meters) plus they throw in stops at a couple of the Golden Gate Bridge lookouts .

You haven’t see a tree until you’ve seen a Redwood in all it’s glory.

https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

$2000 USD for 20 minutes in a single squirrel?
I really hope you didn't pay that much.

We have a twin squirrel which is twice as expensive to run and I can assure you it's nothing like $6000/hr. Not even close.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 17-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #21
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

About US$150 - $200 for the chopper flights...

There are a few choices of company/chopper/flight lengths.

Well worth doing in good weather but.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

IF your a real Ford man got to visit Detroit and the Ford Museum !
Did it just a week and half ago, amazing day but you need 2 days to check out the Village as well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2017, 11:34 PM   #23
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
About US$150 - $200 for the chopper flights...

There are a few choices of company/chopper/flight lengths.

Well worth doing in good weather but.
That's more like it.
That $2000 Is for 5 seats but that's still $400/seat. Be very wary of that company.

Single engine jet powered helicopters should hire out @ around $2000/hr depending on model as a rough figure.

Yeah well worth it if you've never been in a chopper before. British Columbia would be my choice of location though.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 20-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #24
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
$2000 USD for 20 minutes in a single squirrel?
I really hope you didn't pay that much.

We have a twin squirrel which is twice as expensive to run and I can assure you it's nothing like $6000/hr. Not even close.
We paid a $130 USD at the counter (normally advertised at $199 USD) with 4 occupants and the pilot and spend about 30 minutes being instructed via video and staff on what to do if we had to ditch into the Hudson.

And as Jastel said, it's worth it even if you have to pay the full $200 USD asking price.

As a side note to first time travellers most tours are usually cheaper to purchase at the door rather than pre-purchasing as part of a holiday package.

When we were in Alaska a couple of years ago we were saving around $100 USD every time we went ashore and joined a tour compared to those who booked on ship or as a holiday package prior to leaving as they would sell cheaper on the day as a means to fill the tour.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep fair enough and that is the right price.
I was a little concerned they hit you up for 2 grand. Wonder what that's about?

XC Cobra #181.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 20-11-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 21-11-2017, 03:38 AM   #26
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee wow thanks fellas, I haven't been back here for a few days and so many great ideas.
Firstly thanks, we have a NY Pass book which was given to us with plenty of places in it and shedloads free stuff too and wifey has found anther one NY Sightseeing Pass which, at first glance looks cheaper and more flexible. Stat of Lib will be booked either way before we go and I think both of us will head to the top. 911 Mem is a def so thanks for the late in the day tip. Top of the Rocks, Emp State was also a def and Stat Is ferry, + Intrepid for sure. The chopper rides look great but we are already 9 weeks away and so far over what we thought we would spend but who knows. We are just saying fk it we are only going once lets just spend it, lol. Ford Museum would be fantastic but I think too far from NY. I am already indulging in the NASCAR race but gee Sebring that's a thought. DARLING how many more nights can we eat baked beans on toast if we go there???? We are staying v close to Times Square so Central Park will be a def, thanks for the tips there GC, probably hire bikes to help us around and there are so many Broadway Shows we just have to decide which one. We were told Brooklyn Bridge/Dumbo worth a look pos Manhatten Bridge too. NY certainly has plenty to do and eat so we wont be short of either. Thanks again.
Old 21-11-2017, 06:59 PM   #27
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to go see some sports like NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, then look at seeing games with smaller, less popular teams. Will cost you less.

The alternative is to go and see college sports. I believe it's even more of a spectacle than the major leagues!

Having said that, I've paid ~AU$300 per person to see a LA Lakers game back in 2003. Saw Kobe Bryant and Shaq play.

Most sports like NHL, MLB and NFL has some good, cheap seats. Don't expect to be close to the action though.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #28
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Gee wow thanks fellas, I haven't been back here for a few days and so many great ideas.
Firstly thanks, we have a NY Pass book which was given to us with plenty of places in it and shedloads free stuff too and wifey has found anther one NY Sightseeing Pass which, at first glance looks cheaper and more flexible. Stat of Lib will be booked either way before we go and I think both of us will head to the top. 911 Mem is a def so thanks for the late in the day tip. Top of the Rocks, Emp State was also a def and Stat Is ferry, + Intrepid for sure. The chopper rides look great but we are already 9 weeks away and so far over what we thought we would spend but who knows. We are just saying fk it we are only going once lets just spend it, lol. Ford Museum would be fantastic but I think too far from NY. I am already indulging in the NASCAR race but gee Sebring that's a thought. DARLING how many more nights can we eat baked beans on toast if we go there???? We are staying v close to Times Square so Central Park will be a def, thanks for the tips there GC, probably hire bikes to help us around and there are so many Broadway Shows we just have to decide which one. We were told Brooklyn Bridge/Dumbo worth a look pos Manhatten Bridge too. NY certainly has plenty to do and eat so we wont be short of either. Thanks again.
in nyc remember that its the city that opens late, nearly no point being out before 10am, if you are you will be dealing with locals and workers and they don't want to deal with you. also if you don't have to line up to eat don't eat there. nyc food is either great (lines) or so crap you want to pay them to take it away
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #29
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
don't hire bikes in the park, you can only ride them on the drives and not on the paths.

regards to broadway, if you only go to one make it hamilton, that show was incredible and if it ever makes it to australia i would pay up to a grand to see it again
Old 23-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #30
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
regards to broadway, if you only go to one make it hamilton
I saw Christie Brinkley in Chicago myself.