Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #91
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are 3 engines with more performance - 2.2 diesel and both 2.0 Ecoboost petrol. But Ford AU (and NZ) won't let you have them.
Old 28-02-2011, 04:56 AM   #92
DieselFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
I went and drove a MC Titanium TDCi yesturday...

Was that new grey colour, that looks like purple / green in some lights.

What can I say about the car?? Wow, I love all the gizmos in this new car, and the taillights.

Took it for a drive, was dissapointed with performance, still laggy / slow (dealer said it would nearly go as quick as the XR5 because of the torque) but no.

Came home dissapointed, its just too slow for me. Car had 140 kms on the clock and the average was 11.1 (hard to guage as its probably been flogged its enitre life).

Overtaking road trains would be the biggest worry for me, i wasnt really concerned with how it performed off the lights / around town, but even compared to the XR6 it was lacking bite.

Love the car tho, wish i could fit the LED tail lights to the XR5!!
Mate, you do realize it's down about 100kw on the 6 cyl??? The 2.0l will never compare.
Compared to my work car (Hyundai i30), the mondeo feels strong.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #93
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
Mate, you do realize it's down about 100kw on the 6 cyl??? The 2.0l will never compare.
Compared to my work car (Hyundai i30), the mondeo feels strong.
75 kw down

51 nm of torque down..

The torque should keep it honest but it doesn't.

The Petrol 2.3 litre is quicker :( But for the bit quicker it is you pay double in fuel.

Its a great car, but it really needs the bigger diesel.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #94
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
75 kw down

51 nm of torque down..

The torque should keep it honest but it doesn't.

The Petrol 2.3 litre is quicker :( But for the bit quicker it is you pay double in fuel.

Its a great car, but it really needs the bigger diesel.
Yes, the 2.3 petrol is quicker if you really rev it. But in everyday driving the diesel has way more torque and is a much better drive.

Just remember, you're comparing a 2.0 diesel with a 4.0 petrol in cars that weigh about the same.

But I want the Ecoboost. Or failing that, why not the 2.2 diesel. FORD, ARE YOU LISTENING???
Old 28-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #95
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to go fast, than do not buy a Mondeo
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 11:38 PM   #96
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Hey NZ XR6....to paraphrase a well known saying.....

In OZ/NZ, no one can hear you beg
....or so it seems.
We are just a driop in the very large marketing ocean. Almost makes you feel like emigrating.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #97
DieselFan

A motoring website said that because the falc diesel was comming with 177kw, Ford wanted to keep the mondeo in it's place (so to speak).
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #98
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
There are 3 engines with more performance - 2.2 diesel and both 2.0 Ecoboost petrol. But Ford AU (and NZ) won't let you have them.
The point I have been trying to make here. I rang Peugeot today and was told the new 508 has the very same engine that Ford Europe uses on the Mondeo a great 2.2L Turbo diesel that produces 157Kw at a whopping 450Nm of torque and he said it will compete in the same segment as the Mondeo

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #99
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
A motoring website said that because the falc diesel was comming with 177kw, Ford wanted to keep the mondeo in it's place (so to speak).
You mean Ecoboost petrol not diesel!

apstar
Old 01-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #100
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRmn8
I don't want to go fast, I just want something with similar performance to a Mazda 6 or Accord.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #101
ian b

Quote:
Or buy one of the last MBXR5's
Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #102
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats a fallacy bigger engines with higher torque have far better fuel economy.{ especially the new Euro spec models ** My 96kw MA uses 7.2 L/100Km the 2.2L uses 6.3L/100Km don't forget the Mondeo is a heavy car

apstar
Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #103
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
The point I have been trying to make here. I rang Peugeot today and was told the new 508 has the very same engine that Ford Europe uses on the Mondeo a great 2.2L Turbo diesel that produces 157Kw at a whopping 450Nm of torque and he said it will compete in the same segment as the Mondeo

apstar
If the Mondeo had this engine id probably buy one!!

Ford please listen to us...
Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #104
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b
Or buy one of the last MBXR5's
Ive already got one of them, its a great car but the manual is annoying for city work...
Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #105
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Ive already got one of them, its a great car but the manual is annoying for city work...
Me too....
But my work commute is 40% freeway....yee har !!

IMHO, Ford continues to misread the market re the Mondeo segment placement. Mondeo buyers don't buy Falcons, and vicky verca. BUT they do buy Mazda6 / Honda Euro.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #106
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Me too....
But my work commute is 40% freeway....yee har !!

IMHO, Ford continues to misread the market re the Mondeo segment placement. Mondeo buyers don't buy Falcons, and vicky verca. BUT they do buy Mazda6 / Honda Euro.
Ford has stopped replying to my phone calls....... so I have narrowed my next new car down to the MC or Peugeot 508 GT I'm in no hurry was told a little whisper that Ford has one last update to the MC in November - December taking the model to a run out in mid 2012

apstar
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #107
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

apstar....that would be the EcoBoost 4cyl upgrade in the Titanium (<<<< see..here's the Titanium content ).
But would the model code be MD - 'da boss' -
or ME (that's me - cutesy),
or MF (um...unfortunate choice)
or MG (copyright problem?)

Hang in there potential MC owners......worth the wait (<<< more Titanium content !!)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #108
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
apstar....that would be the EcoBoost 4cyl upgrade in the Titanium (<<<< see..here's the Titanium content ).
But would the model code be MD - 'da boss' -
or ME (that's me - cutesy),
or MF (um...unfortunate choice)
or MG (copyright problem?)

Hang in there potential MC owners......worth the wait (<<< more Titanium content !!)
I was unofficially told it will be the MC Update model because its the final model as it stand till the new Global Model is released towards the end of 2012 in Europe,that's the USA built car I presume like I said I'm extremely happy with my MA. Don't forget the MB Update model got a new diesel engine [ 120Kw ] and PowerShift auto so one is to assume what Allan said may be a go who knows please don't make a decision based on what I posted here it may all go pear shape

apstar
Old 02-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #109
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Back on thread.

I know mine exited the Genk plant on 1/3/11 in the afternoon Belgium time (1421) and is now in the hands of the transport company. The boat is scheduled to be here in mid May, no change there.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #110
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What colour are you getting Dusty1?

Have you driven one yet? Pretty impressive technology!!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #111
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Dash, I've driven a MC Zetec not the Titanium. I was impressed with the engine and the lack of noise as wll as e transmission. The a/c was a revelation compared to mine.

I've ordered a Midnight Sky wagon. These will be the first 2011 built vehicles into Australia. The others around, wagons and hatches, are 2011 compliant but 2010 built.

I was hopping to get mine earlier and have now had to take out another lease, but I wasn't too fussed if it was a 2010 or a 2011 build.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #112
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Dash, I've driven a MC Zetec not the Titanium. I was impressed with the engine and the lack of noise as wll as e transmission. The a/c was a revelation compared to mine.

I've ordered a Midnight Sky wagon. These will be the first 2011 built vehicles into Australia. The others around, wagons and hatches, are 2011 compliant but 2010 built.

I was hopping to get mine earlier and have now had to take out another lease, but I wasn't too fussed if it was a 2010 or a 2011 build.
That was the colour i drove the other day.. Its very nice especially when you can see the purple fleck.

Good luck with it!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #113
luckster
Starter Motor

Hi Dusty, Dash,

I took delivery of my Titanium last Friday and it's been a ball all weekend.

Great car for a "mature" driver ! Sure it's not an outright sporty GT but the handling, appointments and power delivery make it such a revelation.

It's only done 400km but I'm chuffed to see an indicated 490 odd km range remaining. Current indicated consumption is 7.6 l/100 with a commuting mixture of slow traffic and freeway.

Nothing short of amazing compared with Craptiva at an average of 11.3 rising to 12.3 l/100....on diesel :(
luckster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #114
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msford
Hey luckster, I want my silver MC back. Lol. I had some bad news today. Apparently the boat my car is on is now two weeks late and isn't expected to dock in NSW (Port Kembla for Sydney dealers) until March 9 and my best ETA is March 14. After having my hopes raised for picking up the car next Tuesday, I'm now quite ****ed off. I had already planned a driving weekend for March 12/13 and now I have to cancel that. I'm almost tempted to ring a few of the dealers mentioned on this thread and asking them if they still have a car in their showroom.

Luckster, if you have a pic of your car, can you post it so I can see what mine is supposed to look like, and I'd like to email it to my dealer to prove that there is/was a silver MC hatch in the country. I have a feeling he doesn't quite believe me.
Any news Mick?
Previous:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #115
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Any news Mick?
A timely question for I was about to post as I had a question. I got my VIN and checked it out on etis.ford.com. I noticed you posted that your car's build will be the first 2011 built vehicles and I wanted to ask about this as my build date is listed as 18.01.2011 (on etis). Is mine likely to be plated 2011 as some of the cars already in the country are plated 12/2010 (as some dealers informed me).

My boat is due tomorrow so, hopefully, only a week or so to go.

I happened to be in Sydney today and visited my dealer and checked out a Dark Mikastone (colour is nicer in real life than it appears online) version that was already sold to Telstra's fleet. The car looks awesome in real life. Unfortunately I couldn't take it for a test drive as it was already sold, but sitting in it whets the appetite.
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #116
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The boat with mine on will take nearly 8 weeks to get here, so I reckon you was will have to be 2011 compliant.

I don't know if there will be any Titanium wagons on your boat (the SS Ms Ford, if you will) so I should have said mine might be one of the first 2011 compliant wagons.

There are so few Titanium wagons coming in and the dealers can't get stock it's tricky to know what's coming in. Stock is a problem, and probably won't stop being an issue for a good couple of months yet. Shame really, as they are good cars.
Previous:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #117
Mickmelb

I have been given a delivery date at the end of the month for a white Titanium so hopefully it happens this time, at this rate I might end up with the first 2012 model if they keep extending the time.

I stopped a long time ago buying cars based on performance and power because they are all disappointing compared to a motorbike, hopefully all going to plan there will be a new red Italian in my garage before the Ford arrives....
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #118
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'm with you Mick. I buy the car I want with the features I want that I can best afford. And for me, the Mondeo ticks a lot of those boxes.

Going by what Msford says above I'd be betting you'll be seeing yours much sooner than 2012. We want to see photos as well!
Previous:
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #119
Mickmelb

Thats true Dusty and 3 years is a long time to regret picking the wrong car while waiting for the lease to run out. You gotta love all the "toys" on the latest model.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #120
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone in QLD who wants one Bryan Byrt Ford have a stack of them...