Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default "Capped" price servicing?

Just a quick question,

For those who take their car to a dealer to get their A and B services done:

Have you always been charged the full amount to the dollar that the site says is the 'most' you will pay under the program?

Or, have people been charged 'up to' the maximum amount? Ie, they did the work, used the consumables and when the invoice was broken down it came in under the maximum, so you were charged a lower amount reflecting the work done and parts used?

Cheers,

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Capped" price servicing?

quote for services prior to the job being done has never been the sum paid, always over

however there is always "extra's......coolant replacement, brake fluid replacement......just had my "B" service.....$490.....but all 4 brake replacement were in there as well

I dont worry too much about the initial "quote" just go into shock when I get the invoice

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

My last capped price service for my FPV GT was in December last year. Going by the quote on the Ford web site, my capped price for a 30k service should be $385. Price I actually paid was $328.15 including a 1.5% credit card surcharge fee.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
quote for services prior to the job being done has never been the sum paid, always over

however there is always "extra's......coolant replacement, brake fluid replacement......just had my "B" service.....$490.....but all 4 brake replacement were in there as well

I dont worry too much about the initial "quote" just go into shock when I get the invoice
Thanks. What I meant was for just the service component. I understand that coolant / brakes etc are over and above the base cost.

If you got a B service with brakes done on each corner for $490 total that is bloody cheap!

Ford wanted something like $325 for rear pads only on my Focus...

Old 26-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
My last capped price service for my FPV GT was in December last year. Going by the quote on the Ford web site, my capped price for a 30k service should be $385. Price I actually paid was $328.15 including a 1.5% credit card surcharge fee.
Thank you for your feedback.

Old 26-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Thanks. What I meant was for just the service component. I understand that coolant / brakes etc are over and above the base cost.

If you got a B service with brakes done on each corner for $490 total that is bloody cheap!

Those prices on pads etc are about right, same thing when I was working at Honda, front pads were like $270-$300, wiper blades $88 for the front two etc.

With capped price servicing, does it just include the service? At Honda say we had to do a 40,000km service, it was a normal oil/filters change, plus valve clearance inspection and it was always around $800, but extra on top if you needed brake fluid top up etc and there was an extra sundries charge for stuff like brake cleaner usage and an oil disposal charge.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

well it was supposed to be capped but the extras always push it over.....I didn't think the $490 was too bad but the $330 for my hood lining replacement was a bit rude

never mind ....pleasures of owning a motor vehicle I guess.......cant help you with a complete "capped price" service only......always had extras and never asked for a breakdown of parts or extras

oh! that price didnt include the car having to go back for an oil filter replacement (split and dropped oil everywhere) part of a bad batch apparently

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Those prices on pads etc are about right, same thing when I was working at Honda, front pads were like $270-$300, wiper blades $88 for the front two etc.

With capped price servicing, does it just include the service? At Honda say we had to do a 40,000km service, it was a normal oil/filters change, plus valve clearance inspection and it was always around $800, but extra on top if you needed brake fluid top up etc.
The services are priced as per what the logbook says is needed. Eg, a minor service "A" service, is generally a lube change and inspection. So that is what you are quoted for.

Then there is a *. This says, we will also need to do coolant every X years / km or brake fluid every X years / km and that is a surcharge.

So, the question is more for black and white servicing. Ie, all you need is a basic fluid change and inspection, the Capped price program says it will cost no more than $XYZ and I was charged $XYZ (like how cobramania replied).

Cheers

Jason

Old 26-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must be confusing if you supply some of the consumables

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Well, I guess in that case they won't use the capped price program. They will just charge you an hourly rate and whatever other bits and pieces they need to get the job done.

Then again, my last bill was broken down into parts, so I guess they can just omit what you provide. Which essentially brings it back to the first point.

Old 26-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Not really, with my service last month I supplied my own oil like I usually do, and was charged the capped service price minus what I thought was a reasonable cost for the oil which they otherwise would have supplied.

Without me asking, the service advisor pointed out the capped price on his capped price chart, to show that the amount charged was quite reasonable.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
superfly
Go the Hogster!

For my 15K service I was charged the full $265 capped price fee. And that included the free road side assistance.
Old 26-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Not really, with my service last month I supplied my own oil like I usually do, and was charged the capped service price minus what I thought was a reasonable cost for the oil which they otherwise would have supplied.

Without me asking, the service advisor pointed out the capped price on his capped price chart, to show that the amount charged was quite reasonable.
my last 2 'A' services were $180. i think the capped price is around $250?? I also supply my own oil.

I'm guessing if everything was done by them, the 'capped price' would also be the 'minimum price', so regardless if it takes half an hour or 3 hours, the capped price is what they'll charge.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Just had my young blokes 2011 SR5 Hilux Twin Cab 4WD serviced at Toyota. It was a 30k service and we were quoted $170.00 when booking it in. Cost $170.00 as per quote.......
Old 27-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I'm guessing if everything was done by them, the 'capped price' would also be the 'minimum price', so regardless if it takes half an hour or 3 hours, the capped price is what they'll charge.
Quite the opposite actually. The Capped price is the most you will be charged. Meaning it can be less, but not more.

Old 27-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Just had my young blokes 2011 SR5 Hilux Twin Cab 4WD serviced at Toyota. It was a 30k service and we were quoted $170.00 when booking it in. Cost $170.00 as per quote.......
Not a bad price, but I'm after Ford service customers. Cheers

Old 27-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had three "A" Ford services in the last 12 months, two on a Fiesta, one on my old Focus. Apart from trying to upsell me something on one occasion (wheel alignment from memory), each service cost whatever the capped price was -that is, the full capped price.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Quite the opposite actually. The Capped price is the most you will be charged. Meaning it can be less, but not more.
see below. thats sort of what i was getting at. rarely will it be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
I've had three "A" Ford services in the last 12 months, two on a Fiesta, one on my old Focus. Apart from trying to upsell me something on one occasion (wheel alignment from memory), each service cost whatever the capped price was -that is, the full capped price.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
see below. thats sort of what i was getting at. rarely will it be less.
In my case, the time and materials used came in under the cap, so they just fudged the figures and qty of oil used to make up the difference.

I questioned them about it and didn't want to make a fuss so left it. Till I found hard proof that they charged me for stuff they certainly didn't do. (both this service and in the past)

I may have engine damage as a result.....

They will not get away with it and have Ford CRC involved.

Seriously.... I wonder how many other cars have had the same treatment?

Old 27-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #20
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I stopped taking my car to get serviced at Ford. Just had a gut feeling something was wrong everytime i took it (I can't back it up as I have no proof). But after charging me $360, after fleet discount, just to change the oil and filter (plus a whole lot of 'checks'), that was the final straw.

Now Kmart Tyre and Auto look after it and do a much better job in my opinion for near half the price.

Ford servicing really need to pick up their game in terms of pricing and QA.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post