Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2014, 05:09 AM   #31
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Default Re: "Chrysler has revealed plans to build a 6.4-litre muscle car purely for the Australian market

When you buy your 6.4L 300C and it starts falling apart and breaking down with regularity, please don't assume that is indicative of all American quality control.
Old 24-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #32
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "Chrysler has revealed plans to build a 6.4-litre muscle car purely for the Australian market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic View Post
When you buy your 6.4L 300C and it starts falling apart and breaking down with regularity, please don't assume that is indicative of all American quality control.
Build quality of mine is a heap better than that of my FG Falcon, or the wife's SZ Territory. No complaints here about it prematurely falling apart. BTW the car is built in Canada.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #33
Freiherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Build quality of mine is a heap better than that of my FG Falcon, or the wife's SZ Territory. No complaints here about it prematurely falling apart. BTW the car is built in Canada.
Graz,Austria, pre 2010 and then Brampton Ontario, Canada. Some components are made in Mexico (for now). Welcome to globalisation.
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #34
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Mines pretty tightly screwed together too, no complaints here!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #35
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the look of this new one, they've done well to pretty it up a bit.

From all reports the Chrysler build quality has gone up a lot since they were bought by Fiat.

News flash Falcon manual gear boxes are made in Mexico as are plenty of things...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #36
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Build quality in the current 300 is far better than the previous generation. I'd driven both and the current one is miles ahead, better materials, better fitting and better looking.
There are still some quality niggles but nothing too bad.

I'd driven a 300c with the 8sp through the great ocean road and back again (a full day during December 2013) and it was fantastic, comfortable and performed better than expected. The only issue I had was passing through Torquay, the left front spring had developed an annoying squeak and rattle.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #37
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Build quality in the current 300 is far better than the previous generation. I'd driven both and the current one is miles ahead, better materials, better fitting and better looking.
There are still some quality niggles but nothing too bad.

I'd driven a 300c with the 8sp through the great ocean road and back again (a full day during December 2013) and it was fantastic, comfortable and performed better than expected. The only issue I had was passing through Torquay, the left front spring had developed an annoying squeak and rattle.
Lucky it was a smooth road.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #38
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Lucky it was a smooth road.
I think it was the GoR that caused it. What a terribly maintained road.
Old 24-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #39
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eventually if will probably be the only option if you want V8 saloon under 100k. So it will sell regardless if it is any good or not.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #40
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
From all reports the Chrysler build quality has gone up a lot since they were bought by Fiat.
That's a sobering thought.
Old 24-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #41
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I think it was the GoR that caused it. What a terribly maintained road.
Vic roads policy is to build "spray seal" road surfaces.
they are half the cost...noisy..spray stones everywhere and require high maintenance.

they basically throw stones on the ground, roll them and spray bitumen on top.

Whereas asphalt on federal govt roads is the whole stone is covered by bitumen and sticks a lot better but costs twice as much...and lasts forever.

The cabin noise in the car is numbing and only stops when you get past the Corio turnoff melbourne bound.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #42
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

300c= lame. Dodge Challenger= hairy chested disco muscle man.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #43
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeJaVu GT View Post
300c= lame. Dodge Challenger= hairy chested disco muscle man.
So you prefer hairy chested disco muscle men?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #44
Freiherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Village People.
Freiherr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #45
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXR8 View Post
So, we could end up in a situation where Holden and Ford fans unite by buying Chyslers in a few years time?

Mustang and Camaro have the tougher muscle look, options aplenty.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #46
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Mustang and Camaro have the tougher muscle look, options aplenty.
Camaro isn't confirmed for rhd though.
Rumour is the next chev ss is going to be fwd, so one would assume it will be the same midsized **** we will see out here badged as a Commodore.
Gm are not interested in rwd cars.

Holden showrooms are going to look sparse if you want anything other than a poorly made, cheap fwd buzzbox or a poorly made, rattly 4x4 ute post 2017

No rhd camaros, corvettes or caddys,post 2017 affordable v8's will be either 300c or mustang.

Last edited by apolloxbgt; 25-11-2014 at 12:02 AM.
apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 12:15 AM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt View Post
Rumour is the next chev ss is going to be fwd,

I'd have one
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #48
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Lol, you enjoy that.
Old 25-11-2014, 04:04 AM   #49
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With this announcement any hope that GM had they could keep V8 buyers with the Holden brand with just a hot euro six cylinder car, went out the window. I'd expect Chrysler to pick-up most of the V8 Commodore buyers who want a sedan and probably a good quarter to a third of the buyers Ford thought were going to be Mustang buyers. Chrysler have also just capped what an imported V8 can be costed at for the other two American brands.

I have no doubt there are unhappy campers with this news at both Ford and GM.

Congratulations to Chrysler Australia for seeing the opportunity and to Chrysler US for taking it.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #50
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
With this announcement any hope that GM had they could keep V8 buyers with the Holden brand with just a hot euro six cylinder car, went out the window. I'd expect Chrysler to pick-up most of the V8 Commodore buyers who want a sedan and probably a good quarter to a third of the buyers Ford thought were going to be Mustang buyers. Chrysler have also just capped what an imported V8 can be costed at for the other two American brands.

I have no doubt there are unhappy campers with this news at both Ford and GM.

Congratulations to Chrysler Australia for seeing the opportunity and to Chrysler US for taking it.
Spot on.

If Ford couldn't convert the masses with the ballistic XR6t/g6et/F6,what hope do gm have with a new Vectra with a commodore badge stuck on it and torque steer?

Chrysler can see an opportunity,and thankfully for big v8 RWD fans are going to exploit it.
Old 25-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #51
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No doubt they stole some Ford and Chev fans with the Hellcat, so why not try and do the same here with a different model, especially since the current vehicle market is so vulnerable.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #52
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The new one looks a bit better, but still leave the 300 to the yanks and bring us the Challenger, RFN! As in bring us Challenger Right effin Now! LOL.
I would buy Challenger over Mustang without even a second thought almost regardless of price differential too.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #53
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
No no.... I prefer melons. But if you want to look cool. Get a Dodge Challenger some chest hair, pair of disco sunnies and a muscle shirt with a pack of durries rolled in ya sleeve. Bit like a valiant tragic from the 80's.

Last edited by blackf6; 25-11-2014 at 05:10 PM.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #54
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Does Rodge know about this??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 12:31 AM   #55
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
"Chrysler has revealed plans to build a 6.4-litre muscle car purely for the Australian market.

The brand revealed an updated 300 sedan at the Los Angeles motor show this week, featuring a new look along with significant technological upgrades.

Australia's love of V8-powered muscle cars has not gone unnoticed by Chrysler, which will replace a 5.7-litre V8 used in American-market 300s with a full-fat Hemi designed to take on the Ford Falcon XR8 and HSV Clubsport.

Chrysler boss Al Gardner says the car will have around 370kW of power.

"What we're doing with the 300 is different from North America," he says.

"We're going to bring the SRT8 to Australia - it's the only country that we're producing the SRT8 for.

"You're going to get the 6.4-litre engine with 500 horsepower - the beast."

The SRT8 is likely to be based on Chrysler's new 300S sedan, which differs from previous models in that it trades blingy chrome for jet-black highlights on its bodywork.

Dodge's 527kW Challenger and Charger Hellcat twins will not officially come to Australia as they are not available in right-hand drive, but it may be possible for the Hellcat's supercharged Hemi motor to find its way into the 300 bodyshell.

Chrysler insiders in Los Angeles could not confirm whether the 300 is in line for the Hellcat treatment.

Gardner says the Hellcat has been a hit, and that a limited run of the cars will sell out ."
http://www.theage.com.au/drive/motor...21-11qyrw.html
My comment : but Ford cann't keep the XR8 in production????? If Chrysler can see the need for an Australia only V8 ? why cann't Ford/Holden ??? limited build for one country is to be commended....
20ish people liked your comment.....which shows that at least 20 people have zero idea that falcon and commadore ARE BUILT in Australia.(big hint that fact) This Chrysler is nothing more then a parts bin special....with a story spun to make it look like they're moving mountains for Australians! I'm not going to waste breathe explaining why ford and Holden can't or aren't doing more.....if you don't know all ready...then you don't want to know!

The car itself sounds like it will be great tho, if your into chryslers.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #56
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
...This Chrysler is nothing more then a parts bin special....
Aren't most performance models based off a donor car, parts bin specials (as per FPV's/HSV's)?

Unfortunately no matter what is said, there is going to be slim pickings in choice, being able to get a new 4 door "performance" V8 once the locals are gone.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #57
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Grunter,

How have you found your GC SRT8 so far? Servicing? Ownership experience?
Old 27-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #58
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
Aren't most performance models based off a donor car, parts bin specials (as per FPV's/HSV's)?
Yep of course they are....but it's not the same same situation is it....as mentioned above.....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post