Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #31
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "country car" gimmick?

My old man had an ea that was a country car we bought it when it was 2 or 3 years old.
WEll the car was the biggest POS and not because it was an ea it had low km's.
Dust everywhere suspension had problems also had constant fuel system problems and the doors were saggy and rattling the engine was the only good thing about it.

I had an ea that I bought of the original owner in 2001 it had 145k km's on it not one problem beautiful car and was always a city car it got stolen I'm spewin' it was my second car and I did a lot of stuff it.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #32
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression a country car was good because it didn't have as much rust as a coastal car.
these days cars don't rust nearly as bad so a country driven car is not something i'd be keen on eg:
my VX was a country car and there is dust in every kranny and the suspension was shot after 180,00km where as I just got a city car VX comm with 280,000km and it has less worn suspension parts

however i'd still look at all car and make judgement for myself
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #33
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post

Anyway kms are kms.
If its done 270 thou then its done 270 thou.
Imo
For the most part this is true.. Km are the best measure of use/wear

But I'd always skip cars that are communal use cars like rental cars or emergency vehicles/police.. That's where a clapped out car is a near certainty even at 40,000km

Country cars vs city cars, (non communal/emergency vehicles) I'd say just worry about km travelled as the best indicator.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #34
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cars from years gone by would be considered country cars. Most of the kilometres were driving from the north of NSW to Newcastle and Sydney to visit family. Usually seven to ten hours on the road for each trip and then return. Never driven on dirt beyond a few k's at most to a park or something and always on well maintained dirt roads and driven with some mechanical sympathy for the car on the rare occasion a dirt road was unavoidable for a short stint. Put it this way I've seen harder and harsher driving around a sealed Woolworths carpark in the city, then my cars ever experienced.

Car was always cleaned inside and out, always serviced and garaged. I know a mate who had the same model as one of my Fords was always amazed at the condition and how tight the car still felt. It was driven with respect and looked after, even as a family car.

The only car I've owned I wouldn't wish on anyone was my Falcon GT which was a lemon from day one. I traded it in at a local dealer on condition the car was shipped out of town. I didn't' want to see some poor local stuck with it. Every other car I've owned would have made great second hand buys and indeed they didn't stick around when they were traded in. More than one car I've traded in over the years was purchased by someone on the dealers staff.

Like city cars, you have to pick the right one.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 19-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #35
lownloud
Ford Junkie

I just bought an XC GXL that has been a local "country car" all its life. Car is in great shape and an easy resto. I also looked at another car that same weekend, same car but had it come from Sydney.....It took me about 30 seconds to walk away. It had what I often hear referred to as "the usual rust"....The guy sold it to some guys who came down from Sydney who thought they got a bargain...too much work for me!
It was a 351 4 speed car and had all the right bits. Unfortunately there was quite a bit of rust and pretty much everything looked whipped. The trim, the plastics in the interior, all the alloy just showed the effects of corrosion.
For me, I would say if you are looking for a resto project or an older model car, the country car definitely has merit.
Old 20-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #36
cram_it_frog
wombat

XC GXL 351 motors

That was some car when new sadly many of us just could not afford to buy one back in the early days of those magnificent machines.

But we could all dream of winning lotto and racing into the ford dealer and buying one .

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post