Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #91
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: """ PETROL """" WTsilent f.

Just had a quick look on Carsales.com.au

Toyota Hybrid second hand with 15,000k's - 30K http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2199737/?Cr=4

Ecoboost Falcon second hand with 15,000k - 30k http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...13814467/?Cr=1

EcoLpi Falcon second hand with 15,000k's -28k http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...14006569/?Cr=1

Take your pick....OR just spend 4-5k on an LPG system AND get gov rebate too!
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #92
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

It,s funny how last week we received a 40 cent discount on fuel if you spent 200 bucks at woollies last week. I said to my wife they will just jack the price up somewhere along the line.....
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #93
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

I'm sure Coles and Woolies also conspire to lower our dollar and increase the wholesale price of crude in Singapore, the scoundrels, how high does this conspiracy go!

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #94
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTPV....Did a quick calculation for savings...

$60 a week x 104 weeks (2 yrs) = $6240. A JTG system would cost 5-5,500k so you would pay it off even sooner than 2 yrs!
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #95
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

Nissan Patrol 4.2 Turbo Diesel 160litres diesel 1500klm's yeah baby

Chris
03 9305 3000

Theo@BluePower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #96
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
the key indicator TGP has remained static, so this is defiantly coles/woollies doing.
Next people will blame them for the weather FFS.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #97
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I just got in before the price hike. It was interesting that it jumped up earlier then usual.

I'm lucky as I fill up once every two weeks as I work close to home....same as the missus.

It will be interesting now that we bought a turbo ute with these price rises.
Old 25-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #98
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
Coles and Woolworths have a lot to answer for for these recent rises !
Apparently they dont according to the ACCC. But others think otherwise.

http://www.farmweekly.com.au/news/ag...s/2665344.aspx

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226682220761

Back in Feburary this year the gutless ACCC were looking into scrapping the petrol discount dockets.

http://www.news.com.au/money/cost-of...-1226583090367

The bottom line is the Gov loves high petrol prices as they recieve more GTS.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 02:31 PM   #99
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Mopar Man View Post
Its all part of the Govt trying to force hoons (Car Enthusiasts ) into a new fuel economical shyte box so they make their taxs easily and the rest of the dollars go overseas .

F#*! em ............they can take my type of car off the road when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel ! Damn shame for our kids though !
Midnight Rant? The Govt make a fair bit from fuel sales so they dont really want us all driving Nissan Micras, ..yet

a bit like cigarettes

If they wanted to remove powerful cars the would increase registration based on size of engine or turbo etc, many other countries already are doing this so we should consider ourselves lucky.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #100
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Midnight Rant? The Govt make a fair bit from fuel sales so they dont really want us all driving Nissan Micras, ..yet

a bit like cigarettes

If they wanted to remove powerful cars the would increase registration based on size of engine or turbo etc, many other countries already are doing this so we should consider ourselves lucky.
Rego fee's are state based, petrol taxes are federal, it's not always easy to get the 2 levels of government speaking the same language to each other. However once Ford and Holden stop manufacturing large 6/8 cylinder cars, there will be less resistance from states that had automotive manufacturing from adopting registration fees based on engine capacity/fuel efficiency ratings.

So my opinion, it will be on it's way in the not to distant future.

Hers
BFII Ghia
Old 25-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #101
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
Rego fee's are state based, petrol taxes are federal, it's not always easy to get the 2 levels of government speaking the same language to each other. However once Ford and Holden stop manufacturing large 6/8 cylinder cars, there will be less resistance from states that had automotive manufacturing from adopting registration fees based on engine capacity/fuel efficiency ratings.

So my opinion, it will be on it's way in the not to distant future.
Make sense, I totally agree, and the Politicians will justify it for ECO reasons and get more votes for it!
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #102
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Next people will blame them for the weather FFS.
Don't you find it weird they are currently flogging spend "this" in store to receive "this" at the bowser yet "this" is going up in price?

Gotta recoup costs somewhere, Coles and Woolies are the spin kings of this, surely you HAVE to see it working there.
Old 25-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #103
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Make sense, I totally agree, and the Politicians will justify it for ECO reasons and get more votes for it!
Im guessing if your right that is democracy at work and the majority rules.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #104
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
Don't you find it weird they are currently flogging spend "this" in store to receive "this" at the bowser yet "this" is going up in price?

Gotta recoup costs somewhere, Coles and Woolies are the spin kings of this, surely you HAVE to see it working there.
Coles and Woolies want to do anything for you to buy their high margin groceries, if they can get you to spend over $100 to make 60% margin and give Shell/Caltex a rebate of $10-$20 for you're tank of petrol they have made money.

You pay for it in your groceries, not overall increase in petrol prices! The only people suffering are the independent petrol retails that cannot compete with the shop a docket pricing.

Hers
BFII Ghia
4 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #105
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
You pay for it in your groceries, not overall increase in petrol prices! The only people suffering are the independent petrol retails that cannot compete with the shop a docket pricing.
And the suppliers getting squeezed hard by them.
Old 25-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #106
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

time to use the motor bike more - but its fraking cold - plus i might need to get a trailer for it

btw my 650 vstrom get 4l/100 even if i flog its guts outs - just need some hand warmers
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #107
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.zissou View Post
time to use the motor bike more - but its fraking cold - plus i might need to get a trailer for it

btw my 650 vstrom get 4l/100 even if i flog its guts outs - just need some hand warmers
That's false economy anyways and i'm a rider too mate.... you still gotta buy the bike, pay for rego, insurance and running costs.... How are you saving?
I went for a big ride one day weeks ago and it cost me $60 in fuel that day on a fuel injected late model bike!
Old 25-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #108
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Coles and Woolies want to do anything for you to buy their high margin groceries, if they can get you to spend over $100 to make 60% margin and give Shell/Caltex a rebate of $10-$20 for you're tank of petrol they have made money.

that's the problem the "terminal gate price" has actually fallen 1 cent, but coles/wollies up the bowser price 20c..

then offer a 20c discount..
the other garages increase 18.5c so they look like nice guys,
however speedway garage is still at the old price of 132.9cpl
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #109
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post

Yeah weird it might be, I know where the costs are being recouped atm that's for sure. The spend this to get that has been around for ever. And atm there has been no 'pushing' the fuel offer.
End of the day they are there to make money and make money they do.

As for the high margin groceries I think some of you guys would be surprised at what's in the margins of some products. But yeah some are high but a lot are very low.
Anyway that's for another day.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #110
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
Just had a quick look on Carsales.com.au

Toyota Hybrid second hand with 15,000k's - 30K http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2199737/?Cr=4

Ecoboost Falcon second hand with 15,000k - 30k http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...13814467/?Cr=1

EcoLpi Falcon second hand with 15,000k's -28k http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...14006569/?Cr=1

Take your pick....OR just spend 4-5k on an LPG system AND get gov rebate too!
Of those three I'd take the Falcon Ecoboost. Hybrid Camry might win on fuel costs, but it's so dull and uninspiring to drive.

Not interested in having an aftermarket LPG system clogging up my boot space; not interested in factory EcoLPI with reduced boot space and no spare tyre.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #111
nstg8a

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #112
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Currently spending about $100 per week on the BMW. No way would I consider LPG, even if it means saving money. Couldn't do it to the poor thing! My wallet hates me but my car loves me, hasn't broken down once!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #113
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'm lucky my FG is pretty economical ... the Territory snoozes in the garage most of the time.

I get 700 from 65L of E10 in the FG ... and that's Sydney metro as well. As long as i keep momentum going its all good. I get about 2 weeks out of a tank of E10 .... as as shiftworker a can miss some of the traffic ... and I am not in it everyday either.

If doing courier work though ... I'd either have LPG or diesel. Never petrol (you'd have to be made running a petrol vehicle doing 300-400km of metro driving .. especially in Sydney).

Someone mentioned ECOLPI had a Urban figure of 18.2L/100km ... the EGAS in the B-series was 22-25 is sitting in heavy stuff ... or hauling load. Although a lot of guys running the ECOLPI utes are getting between 16-17 urban ... the 18 is a little ballooned out. More power/torque with ZF auto means less throttle input (where the EGAS sufferred badly)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #114
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6 View Post
That's false economy anyways and i'm a rider too mate.... you still gotta buy the bike, pay for rego, insurance and running costs.... How are you saving?
I went for a big ride one day weeks ago and it cost me $60 in fuel that day on a fuel injected late model bike!
Yeah but if you already wanted the bike and would've bought it anyway it is saving money.
The bike + rego etc is money you'd be spending either way, so you still save money using the bike instead of the car.

It's people who buy a bike just for cheaper fuel that are working off the false economy. Same as people who buy electric cars and forget about the coal they're burning when they plug it in to charge it or the damage just making the batteries causes to the environment.

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #115
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.theage.com.au/business/re...729-2qu3q.html

Quote:
Regulator blasts supermarket giants over fuel discounts
July 29, 2013 - 2:12PM

The competition regulator has fired a salvo across the bow of the nation’s most powerful supermarket chains, Woolworths and Coles, warning the escalating petrol discounts offered by the duo are likely to lessen competition and flagging action to curb excessive discounting.

The chairman of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, Rod Sims, has further ignited the issue around the popular shopper docket petrol schemes, arguing in a strong speech today that if the supermarket chains wish to offer discounts to their customers it should be on supermarket purchases, not petrol.

The ACCC has no power to ban shopper dockets offers ... however, the ACCC can investigate market activity and ... take court action seeking injunctions to stop the conduct.

“If Coles and Woolworths wish to offer their customers a discount, it should be off supermarket products, not petrol,” Mr Sims said.

Retailers have cried foul for years over the docket scheme, claiming the discounts given to supermarket customers - which this month hit as high as 45 cents per litre off the price at the bowser - was unfair competition.
Advertisement

Many, such as grocery wholesaler Metcash last week, have also suggested a conspiracy between recent hikes in petrol prices and escalating shopper docket discount schemes.

Both supermarket chains have strenuously denied any link between higher petrol prices and the proliferation and steepness of their petrol discount schemes, pointing to the fact petrol prices are influenced by factors outside their control such as world oil demand and currency movements.

The strong comments from Australia’s competition tsar today, including warning of acting soon to curb the excesses of the petrol schemes, comes as the ACCC navigates through a near 12-month long investigation into the petrol discount deals offered by Woolworths and Coles through their ownership of petrol station businesses and supermarkets.

Addressing the Australian Institute of Company Directors’ Leaders Edge Lunch in Melbourne, Mr Sims stressed his further concerns about the escalating shopper docket petrol discounts, now reaching 45 cents per litre in some cases.

“The ACCC has previously signalled its concerns about the impact of shopper docket petrol discounts by Coles and Woolworths on the competitive process,” Mr Sims said. “The ACCC believes this activity is likely to have a negative effect on competition in the petrol industry. Over time, higher petrol prices could be the result."

Mr Sims said his concerns have been intensified by the expansion use of shopper docket and other discounts by both Coles and Woolworths recently.

‘‘These have varied in level of discount, frequency and duration, and have now reached up to 45 cents per litre.

“While large shopper docket discounts provide short-term benefits to some consumers, the likely harm to other fuel retailers and therefore to competition and the competitive process for petrol retailing could well be substantial,” Mr Sims said.

“Even at the level of 8 cents, it would be difficult to see how an unsubsidised fuel retailer could compete on a sustainable basis. Now, the discounts are substantially higher.”

He said the ACCC’s investigation into the schemes was continuing and broadening in its direction.

"The ACCC is also investigating whether the duration, frequency and extent of these fuel offers may have an adverse impact on the underlying level of fuel prices, particularly in circumstances where fuel retailers who would otherwise compete for price conscious customers are unable to do so.

“The ACCC has no power to ban shopper dockets offers. As an enforcement body, however, the ACCC can investigate market activity and, where appropriate, take court action seeking injunctions to stop the conduct and seeking penalties in appropriate cases.

“The ACCC has been investigating shopper docket offers by the major supermarkets since mid-2012. Our investigation is nearing completion and will be finalised in the next few months," Mr Sims said.

“Even at the level of 8 cents, it would be difficult to see how an unsubsidised fuel retailer could compete on a sustainable basis. Now, the discounts are substantially higher.”

He said the ACCC’s investigation into the schemes was continuing and broadening in its direction.

"The ACCC is also investigating whether the duration, frequency and extent of these fuel offers may have an adverse impact on the underlying level of fuel prices, particularly in circumstances where fuel retailers who would otherwise compete for price conscious customers are unable to do so.

“The ACCC has no power to ban shopper dockets offers. As an enforcement body, however, the ACCC can investigate market activity and, where appropriate, take court action seeking injunctions to stop the conduct and seeking penalties in appropriate cases.

“The ACCC has been investigating shopper docket offers by the major supermarkets since mid-2012. Our investigation is nearing completion and will be finalised in the next few months," Mr Sims said.

Old 30-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #116
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

The ACCC's reputation is on the line here imo, the community is watching & wants action now!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post