Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Can anything stop Toyota?

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...p-toyota-76690

Interested in everyone's thoughts.
Old 31-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Can anything stop Toyota?

It's probably a fair comment: https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwne...8489978699833/
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I like where the article says "Does Toyota have any weaknesses?" and makes no mention of the diesel engine DPF fault.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yes these.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #5
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Yes these.

Being a troll is one thing, but doing it so distasteful ????
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 01:35 AM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Yes these.
But not for very long.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:57 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Millions of ppl don't give a toss about what their car looks like or goes like nowadays. They just want it to get them from A to B without breaking and causing hassles. this is what Toyota excels at. Their cars do nothing best but most things middle of the road and reliably. I would never buy one. I have noticed a few chinks in their armour of late though but loyalty will take care of most of them.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Yes these.

You make Fake News Franco proud :') (tears of joy)

That's made my morning
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not much of a Toyota fan, but there's a few different Toyotas I wouldn't mind owning.

My work had Prados for years, they stopped buying them because they were 'too expensive'. They started buying Pajeros instead.
After almost 5 years of Pajero they are now buying Prados again because they last longer and spend less time off the road.

Pajeros are not exactly unreliable, but they are a fantastic pick if you want a brand new car that feels 10 years old as you drive it off the showroom floor.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Not in this country, no. They have a range of cars and SUV's so vast that no one else can offer such a full range of vehicles.

That is their big advantage, plus they dominate fleets.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The article doesn't tell the whole story.
The drop in sales for them is hurting their bottom line (they rely heavily on low margin sales for fleets).
There have been internal meetings where large projects are now put on ice/cancelled due to budget constraints and a number of staff have been let go (permanent and contractors, just this week 15 were let go). It isn't a positive place to work but not as bad as Holden is right now.

They are still recovering from a cyber attack in February this year that took out their business for 2 weeks.

So yes, Sean (VP of marketing) may be good at the spin but hasn't told the whole story.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

To quote Napoleon "never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake"

I attribute much of Toyota's success to the massive stupidity, engineered negligence, over inflated ego's and criminal mentality that seems to be prevalent with most of the other major auto manufacturers.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha ha cheap, yes that is a factor!

Arronm I did have a chuckle at cheekiness of the meme, we might all note that these most certainly did not stop Japan. I visited Hiroshima as a 15 year old many years ago, went to the bomb museum, came out in tears. The residual radiation is very low (low yield device - modern ones will be far more powerful and dangerous) and the entire city had been rebuilt and was thriving, and that's near 30 years ago when I saw it. The shadow on the walls, the pics of kids with radiation burns. Very moving. It's also been argued the firebombing of Tokyo and Dresden ended up being worse.

What sooner stopped Japan was FDR's New Deal politicians and apparatchiks that the US sent over postwar, with the intention of punishing the country. They were particularly effective in using their policies of increased legislation and increased taxation (same ones we have in the West today...); economic activity slowed so much that by the late 1940's only a single train ran per week on the Tokyo-Osaka line. With the rise of the Communists in China after 1949, the US realised they needed to build a bulwark of Capitalism in the far east. All the New Dealers were promptly sacked, and legislation and taxation was slashed year after year throughout the 1950s. New markets were offered to Japanese product. Completely devastated by war, the Japanese took on board the teachings of W Edwards Deming, whose ideas of quality manufacturing and precise measurement of the process had been rejected by US Labour unions. The result of all this was that Japanese growth was spectacular ("The Japanese Miracle") and ironically that government tax intake was 10 times higher by the early 1960s after they had slashed taxes and regulations. The quality of their product then went on to displace US and British product throughout the world. This includes the Toyota legend...

Very interesting Wretched. Local hospitals got taken out as well in Feb.

For me, I'm really excited for the upcoming Hybrid Yaris. Little buzzbox runaround, that 20K price range that electric cars are nowhere near yet, and very very inexpensive motoring that keeps the kms off my V8s. Yaris made in Japan too, which I trust. Still love my 25yo Makita and Hitachi power tools which were made in Japan, they still work beautifuly.

Hybrid RAV4 kicking a huge goal, so much so that dealers are offering loan cars until the 6 month wait is over for Cruiser buyers. Saw one parked next to our Terry this week, it's nearly the same size and 5L/100km. Hopefully the electric motor in the back of the AWD will be fulltime for snow driving.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
I like where the article says "Does Toyota have any weaknesses?" and makes no mention of the diesel engine DPF fault.
In fairness to the author, the article isn't about particular issues or problems with various models, but rather the sales dominance of those models in the Toyota lineup over every other manufacturer's offerings.

You have to admit they have a broad appeal in the overall market. I've personally never owned a Toyota of any sort, however I've yet to come across a Toyota owner who reckons his or her vehicle is a piece of pooh.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
The article doesn't tell the whole story.
The drop in sales for them is hurting their bottom line (they rely heavily on low margin sales for fleets).
There have been internal meetings where large projects are now put on ice/cancelled due to budget constraints and a number of staff have been let go (permanent and contractors, just this week 15 were let go). It isn't a positive place to work but not as bad as Holden is right now.

They are still recovering from a cyber attack in February this year that took out their business for 2 weeks.

So yes, Sean (VP of marketing) may be good at the spin but hasn't told the whole story.
I remember they were hurt during the GFC and made a loss for the first time in their history. So they would be making sure they're a profitable company first. They will concentrate on their bread and butter and do something more when things improve.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Hybrid RAV4 kicking a huge goal, so much so that dealers are offering loan cars until the 6 month wait is over for Cruiser buyers. Saw one parked next to our Terry this week, it's nearly the same size and 5L/100km. Hopefully the electric motor in the back of the AWD will be fulltime for snow driving.
Interestingly one of my friends kept rabbiting on about how if Toyota made a hybrid RAV4, she'd be all over it.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #17
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was buying a new car tomorrow, it would likely be a Toyota.
I had a Corolla before my Falcon, and sure, it wasn't fast, it didn't turn heads, but it was comfortable, nice to drive and I only ever had to fix one thing until it was written off in a hail storm.

Sure, I'm a bit biased. My family had a lot of Fords when I was a kid, but it was the Bundera I fell in love with. (And the Sierra I have to admit)
But it's not like any company in Australia is selling anything more exciting than Toyota is.

Yeah, the new diesel engines have their issues and it's a big hit to the reliability reputation, but... what was this about a recall on Ford diesel engines just recently? And of course, Powershift?

My next car won't be fresh from the showroom, but it will be a 4wd, and almost certainly a Toyota or a Nissan. (Okay, or maybe a Mitsubishi)
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The new model Corolla looks fantastic, they've made a huge effort to bring it from bland to exciting, I guess they're probably trying to attract younger buyers back into the fold again:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/673558/...olla-review-2/

I've seen a few getting about in that really bright blue colour, like Nitro on the Falcons.

If they had a turbo variant I'd be all over it like Cav on cake.

That small car segment has really come leaps and bounds over the past decade.

The only problem is I'm not sold on naturally aspirated engines these days under 5000cc plus or minus a t-spoon and 8 cylinders, if its under that it needs forced induction, no forced induction on small engines should be punishable by death in 2019

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-11-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:40 AM   #19
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Ha ha cheap, yes that is a factor!

Arronm I did have a chuckle at cheekiness of the meme, we might all note that these most certainly did not stop Japan. I visited Hiroshima as a 15 year old many years ago, went to the bomb museum, came out in tears. The residual radiation is very low (low yield device - modern ones will be far more powerful and dangerous) and the entire city had been rebuilt and was thriving, and that's near 30 years ago when I saw it. The shadow on the walls, the pics of kids with radiation burns. Very moving. It's also been argued the firebombing of Tokyo and Dresden ended up being worse.

What sooner stopped Japan was FDR's New Deal politicians and apparatchiks that the US sent over postwar, with the intention of punishing the country. They were particularly effective in using their policies of increased legislation and increased taxation (same ones we have in the West today...); economic activity slowed so much that by the late 1940's only a single train ran per week on the Tokyo-Osaka line. With the rise of the Communists in China after 1949, the US realised they needed to build a bulwark of Capitalism in the far east. All the New Dealers were promptly sacked, and legislation and taxation was slashed year after year throughout the 1950s. New markets were offered to Japanese product. Completely devastated by war, the Japanese took on board the teachings of W Edwards Deming, whose ideas of quality manufacturing and precise measurement of the process had been rejected by US Labour unions. The result of all this was that Japanese growth was spectacular ("The Japanese Miracle") and ironically that government tax intake was 10 times higher by the early 1960s after they had slashed taxes and regulations. The quality of their product then went on to displace US and British product throughout the world. This includes the Toyota legend...

Very interesting Wretched. Local hospitals got taken out as well in Feb.

For me, I'm really excited for the upcoming Hybrid Yaris. Little buzzbox runaround, that 20K price range that electric cars are nowhere near yet, and very very inexpensive motoring that keeps the kms off my V8s. Yaris made in Japan too, which I trust. Still love my 25yo Makita and Hitachi power tools which were made in Japan, they still work beautifuly.

Good point, the Americans shot their own car makers in the foot to prop up Japan.
They were given access to the US market while they protected theirs, copied western makers designs.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stop them doing what?
Their cars are well-built turds on wheels, over-priced to buggery, and bought only by dullards, imbeciles, and lazy-*** fleet operators.

They have for many, many decades been the masters of Toyotaising, selling mass-produced gloop to the gormless masses. And so what? Good luck to them, wish I had shares in Toyota. They'll soon be over taken by Hyundai, who will in turn give way to Chinese. But not in my lifetime.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #21
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

About the only thing missing is a full size truck like the Tacoma.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...e-trick-truck/

Like the f150, rhd versions are all ex factory.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
About the only thing missing is a full size truck.
But they already build trucks don't need another ute.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

I was thinking more about the increasing ute sizes, with the Dodge Ram now sold here.

Anyhoo.... one other thing that could slow sales is to offend your buyers, like say dropping popular engines and being all pc with turbos on small capacity donks, as is rumoured for the next gen.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/to...ch-v8-engines/

Subaru boxer engined offroader, anyone?

https://2020landcruiser.com/2019-toyota-land-cruiser/

Although the v6 or even hybrid options seem more likely.

http://www.motoraty.com/blog/2019/06...p-v8-turbo-v6/

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post