Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2019, 08:35 AM   #31
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: were have our great race tracks gone?

I have a vague memory of racing on a dirt track & hill climb, I think it was Silverdale does anyone remember it?
PS: Don't forget Brickies!
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #32
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To add a few more. One of the largest venues in Sydney almost a century ago was the Maroubra Speedway. It opened in 1925 & was demolished in 1940.

There was also a raceway at Penrith in the early 1900s.

If we are to include street circuits, what about Homebush ?

My favourite tracks were Warwick Farm, Amaroo & Oran Park. Castlereagh for drags as well.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #33
mondeomatureguy

Hi Doctor Terry,
Where I once went to High School in Sydney across the road from my then School is South Head Cemetery.

On of the graves is a man called Reginald Gordon Garlick (phil Garlick) who was killed while racing at Maroubra Speedway in 1927.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #34
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I really hope that you made that comment in jest as much as I made my earlier comment .
i used to go to warwick farm when i was a kid as it was free entry, as for all the weirs the were demolished by the army in the late 70's due to people crossing the road without looking (fatal),, so they destroyed them..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #35
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same happened down on the Gold Coast, the morons moved in and then started complaining about the noise.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #36
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

On the Gold Coast it was the cashed up nimbys that did it in. The developer merely facilitated those wishes. Drove past the site recently and got all nostalgic.

Of the many others i miss amaroo park the most. Legendary racing around a tight little circuit.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #37
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
Same happened down on the Gold Coast, the morons moved in and then started complaining about the noise.
I work in the yellow circled shed, motor body builder business. The house in red was purchased 3 years ago. The knob has complained to council 3 times regarding the noise level and time of noise. North of Mc Phail road is industrial, south is semi industrial/rural living. I can’t say for sure but the businesses were there before the houses. Guess who’s selling there cheap house

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #38
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I was to young regards Warwick Farm but the ol man went a number of times due to his business connections.
Due to that I recall the countless times we went to the Speedway at the Sydney Showgrounds.
What a HOOT that was and in the heydays of solo's/sidecars/midgets/speedcars/super modified's.
Funny how back in those days the super modifieds as I grew up with became the Sprintcars and main feature here today.
Solo's were epic and No1 back then, Tests were massive, with the Danes/Poms/Swedes etc and oour neighboring kiwis ofcourse.
Some Legends I'll never forget :
Ole Olsen/Nigel Boocock/Collins/Sanders/Jim Airey/Boulger/ and Ivan Mauger/Briggs - the smell of methanol was to die for !
Sidecars - Treloars/Innes family
Super Modifieds - Tatnell/Gary Rush obviously.
Some of the best racing nights I've ever experienced and as we all know, those inner city grennies killed that carrying on in the inner city :(
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #39
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

We had Tracey’s speedway in MARIBYRNONG...
As a tacker, I used to sit on the old mans JAP while he pushed it over the tram bridge from our house in Ascot Vale over to Tracey’s to race in Saturday nights..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I don't know how true it is but the Benalla Auto Club (who own Winton) had a race track east of Violet Town in the Strathbogie range.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2019, 02:51 PM   #41
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I don't know how true it is but the Benalla Auto Club (who own Winton) had a race track east of Violet Town in the Strathbogie range.
Theres a mention of a track run Benalla Auto Club in the link i posted earlier, it was out Barjarg way at the foot of the Strathbogie Ranges as you say maybe this is the one, it was before Winton's day and didn't last long.....wonder why lol....

....about the Barjarg track....

https://www.racingcircuits.info/aust...l#.XYmJoigzbIU

Quote:
The circuit was built by the Benalla Auto Club as a replacement for the earlier track at Barjarg, in the undulating hills at the base of the Strathbogie Ranges, between Benalla and Mansfeild.
This had operated from 1958 to 1961 and was rough-and-ready affair, with a giant boulder protruding from the oil-bonded dirt surface in the middle of the main straight. Despite numerous efforts, it proved too big to move, so remained as an additional hazard for racers to negotiate!
....a bit more

https://pressreader.com/@nickname133...roGQNHavV2ePiy

.....read about the original Benalla track also lol....

http://www.speedwayandroadracehistor...g-circuit.html

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #42
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
We had Tracey’s speedway in MARIBYRNONG...
As a tacker, I used to sit on the old mans JAP while he pushed it over the tram bridge from our house in Ascot Vale over to Tracey’s to race in Saturday nights..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yer speedway was so popular all round the country back in our day.
A real shame that its died barring Sprintcars more than anything else.
Loved the Solo's - I still watch SGP on Fox and the Sidecars were a massive highlight as well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #43
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was lucky enough to race at the last supersprint at oran park
i also seem to have got into the last drift event at Wollongong Kart track
the only thing local to me now is Huntley Hill Climb but i think that only has a few years left maybe until the Greg Norman Links course get finished

so much to the residence disapproval the kids just go up the mountains and go nuts.

oh and years ago Albion Park airport used to hold 1/8 drag races
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #44
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
One great one nearby me at Winton. Vic.
I can hear the roar on weekends, trucks on the Hume at night and freight trains passing by.
I love it.
Hung around Amaroo Park in it's heyday, such a shame its gone.
Winton has had its battles over the years. I used to sit on the Benalla Auto Club's committee (BAC own Winton and Wakefield Park at Goulburn). There was a group of people from the district who were into BAC every chance they got, they were on about noise, preferential treatment on planning issues. Interestingly I shared an office with one of the main protagonists. James something, it was an interesting time and some interesting debates.
Old 24-09-2019, 04:15 PM   #45
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Winton has had its battles over the years. I used to sit on the Benalla Auto Club's committee (BAC own Winton and Wakefield Park at Goulburn).
Probably most of the whinging came from Lake Mokoan Estate on the other side of the now Winton wetlands as this is where all the NIMBY's move to back then.
The sound tends to echo off the small range behind it (Chesney Vale)

Old 24-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #46
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Probably most of the whinging came from Lake Mokoan Estate on the other side of the now Winton wetlands as this is where all the NIMBY's move to back then.
The sound tends to echo off the small range behind it (Chesney Vale)
nah, opposite direction, over nearer to Lurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Theres a mention of a track run Benalla Auto Club in the link i posted earlier, it was out Barjarg way at the foot of the Strathbogie Ranges as you say maybe this is the one, it was before Winton's day and didn't last long.....wonder why lol....

....about the Barjarg track....

https://www.racingcircuits.info/aust...l#.XYmJoigzbIU

....a bit more

https://pressreader.com/@nickname133...roGQNHavV2ePiy

.....read about the original Benalla track also lol....

http://www.speedwayandroadracehistor...g-circuit.html
The Barjarg track was owned by the Benalla Auto Club, they shut it down when they acquired the Winton site over 50 years ago
Old 24-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #47
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

The Barjarg track was owned by the Benalla Auto Club, they shut it down when they acquired the Winton site over 50 years ago
Yep, thats what it says in the links...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
nah, opposite direction, over nearer to Lurg
That was my second guess Mollyulla way.

Old 24-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
I work in the yellow circled shed, motor body builder business. The house in red was purchased 3 years ago. The knob has complained to council 3 times regarding the noise level and time of noise. North of Mc Phail road is industrial, south is semi industrial/rural living. I can’t say for sure but the businesses were there before the houses. Guess who’s selling there cheap house

A little off topic but working on the railway we are always hearing about people complaining about trains.
The reason your house is $50,000 cheaper than an equivalent house is because it's 20 metres from a rail line. Get over it or pay more money for a house in a better location.

I just remembered this guy who built his house next a a railway access gate. Trains would stop near this gate for crew relief. he didn't like trains stopping there because they are too loud.
Train control responded to his complaints by moving the relief point 3kms further down the track. So now you now pass his house at full speed then apply the brakes as your locomotive passes his house to stop further down the track. He now has to put up with a 1.5km long train's brakes squealing as it passes his house. If a second train comes along during crew relief of the first train which is highly likely, the second train stops at a red signal next to his house anyway. Hey, he got his own way though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
A little off topic but working on the railway we are always hearing about people complaining about trains.
The reason your house is $50,000 cheaper than an equivalent house is because it's 20 metres from a rail line. Get over it or pay more money for a house in a better location.

I just remembered this guy who built his house next a a railway access gate. Trains would stop near this gate for crew relief. he didn't like trains stopping there because they are too loud.
Train control responded to his complaints by moving the relief point 3kms further down the track. So now you now pass his house at full speed then apply the brakes as your locomotive passes his house to stop further down the track. He now has to put up with a 1.5km long train's brakes squealing as it passes his house. If a second train comes along during crew relief of the first train which is highly likely, the second train stops at a red signal next to his house anyway. Hey, he got his own way though.
Yeh, if you don't like the noise of trains don't move there.
$ydney prices around rail hubs are going up for the convenience of living next to a stations.
Was looking at the price of apartments around Rhodes station, absolutely ridiculous.

I bought a place right beside the $yd-Melb mainline, in between two railway crossing gates and a station solely to future proof my transport options. Love it. Going to be interesting watching the double deck freight trains planned in the future.

Old 25-09-2019, 11:46 AM   #51
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

I have a railway about 150m away, it's not a problem at all but that Police chopper is a real pain at times, not to mention what I have seen one chopper do once was just mental showing off like a lunatic that I thought that this was Vietnam, he was flat out swooping down to about 10m off roofs and came in and turned directly at angles like 60 deg time and time again back and forwards for about 20 min and everyone came out to see what was going on.
a mate that lived 50m from the track would ring and complain every time the chopper came over, he would go off his rocker about them as he hated it but I never heard him complain about the railway ever.
Old 25-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I have a railway about 150m away, it's not a problem at all but that Police chopper is a real pain at times, not to mention what I have seen one chopper do once was just mental showing off like a lunatic that I thought that this was Vietnam, he was flat out swooping down to about 10m off roofs and came in and turned directly at angles like 60 deg time and time again back and forwards for about 20 min and everyone came out to see what was going on.
He might be an ex channel 7 pilot missing his old job at Mt Panorama.

Old 25-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #53
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a mate that lived 50m from the track would ring and complain every time the chopper came over, he would go off his rocker about them as he hated it but I never heard him complain about the railway ever.
I guess you get used to certain noises after a while and block them out.
I bought a house near the John Hunter hospital. For the first 6 months I would wake up once a week as a chopper flew over very low. After that 6 months I would wake up once every month or two.

You'd think living near a racetrack wouldn't be too bad since it almost always a daytime thing but you know these people are probably sitting there working themselves up getting angrier and angrier each minute.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #54
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

I live near a racetrack (Barbagallo) and love it.
Nothing like spending a Saturday morning working on the cars in the garage, then stepping out for a cuppa and a listen every so often.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #55
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He might be an ex channel 7 pilot missing his old job at Mt Panorama.
I thought it was my cousin trying to show off to me, but he would never do such a thing I am sure, maybe some clown that knows me trying to show off. I would not mind or give a toss but not over houses like that.
Old 27-09-2019, 06:33 AM   #56
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post

Castlereagh International Dragway is another that was closed for yet another Housing Estate.
It’s I’ll be a very long time before Castlereagh becomes a housing estate

It closed because hoity toity horse people didn’t want “those drag racing types” enjoying themselves

They basically brought the land and sat on it, it’s basically just usd for over priced grass / fertiliser converters to wander on.

if you go google earth or nearmaps you can still see the track all be it grown over

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 06:41 AM   #57
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Yeah Amaroo was brilliant! Sitting up on Bitupave Hill watching the Sierra’s still trying to put their power down..
Or the stop go before the “Main Straight” where if you had brake failure, you went straight into a concrete wall..
Just a creat little track with heaps of character and always suited a great handling smaller car..
Did this many times in this era

I lived a few km from the track and we used to ride our BMX bikes down the back of Blind road Nelson leave our bikes in the bush and climb under the fence, for a day of free motor racing, (great times)

We also used to walk around behind the pits and slide down the embankment behind the kids play area at the back of the pits and Bam we had “pit passes”

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

As a young P plater just beyond Amaroo Park was Halcrows Rd we used to test our rally skills at night. It was a great backroad down to Wisemans ferry.
Amaroo was a bad influence on many a boy racer, I remember the cops used to always hang around the local roads after every touring car event.

Old 27-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #59
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Each year they have the Leyburn Sprints, the site of the first Aust Grand Prix in Qld, dont reckon they will build it out:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_A...ian_Grand_Prix

"An airfield with a 7,000-foot runway was constructed by April 1943 for the use of the United States Army Air Force.[8] The airfield was eventually used by 21 Squadron, 23 Squadron and 99 Squadron.[8] and was eventually abandoned by the RAAF in December 1945.[8] The abandoned airfield became the site of the 1949 Australian Grand Prix, the first time the Australian Grand Prix was held in Queensland. At the 2006 census, Leyburn and the surrounding area had a population of 348".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leyburn,_Queensland

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #60
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
You would probably know, is Wilby still going? I grew up in Yarrawonga and use to go there with me brother. They had what was very loosely called a quarter mile track and a speedway circuit.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post