Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cleaning engine bay.

My car has sat in the garage unused for about 18mths and has accumulated dust in the engine bay.
Is trying to get it all off via a compressed air nozzle the best method or should I use a washer so that it is cleaner...[usually don't like using water around engines]
Seems that air only leaves some residual dust.
malbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #2
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cleaning engine bay.

Wash off with hose should be fine, but if still dirty try 1 can of cheap degreaser then wash off will def work.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

What car, what engine?
Old 27-12-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Absolutely no high pressure water post 78. Water gets gets in everywhere slowly corrodes the electrics. Years of troubles. Light spray degreaser on warm engine....then high pressure air spray. Wipe down with rag.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-12-2022, 11:20 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbaby View Post
My car has sat in the garage unused for about 18mths and has accumulated dust in the engine bay.
Is trying to get it all off via a compressed air nozzle the best method or should I use a washer so that it is cleaner...[usually don't like using water around engines]
Seems that air only leaves some residual dust.
I'm not sure what vintage your car is, but most modern cars are absolutely fine to washed with either a hose or pressure washer. Just show common sense and don't focus on one spot for too long. I was one of those who absolutely refused to entertain the idea of this, but I have done it enough times now to know that it can be done and be done safely.

I cover the topic in the following posts -

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=1793
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=1819
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...postcount=1834

I have products and tools listed in the above, but at the very least you need some All-purpose-cleaner, a couple of brushes and perhaps some water based dressing like 303 Protectant or Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. Make sure to cover up sensitive areas with a plastic bag weighed down with a towel, think fuse boxes, batteries and alternators.

This video gives a good rundown on how to do it -

If you have an older car, then I would probably stick to a waterless method, basically use a quick detailer, rinse-less wash product or APC to wipe/scrub and then follow up with a towel.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2022, 11:34 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If you have a car with a distributor, avoid the distributor
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2022, 12:01 AM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…Or at least make sure your RAC road service membership is current.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #8
malbaby
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK...thanks guys.
malbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #9
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Accidentally left my oil cap off and drove for a good 500-1000kms once. Needless to say the engine bay was a complete mess.

Sprayed degreaser all around, got the high pressure washer out, and sprayed from a distance. Did it whilst the engine was running and warmish (not hot), heard this was the best method as it helps dries the water out if it gets into spots its not suppose to. Obviously avoided spraying directly into electrical connections, battery and the alternator.

It came up really good. No issues. Even took it to my mechanic a few days later to get spark plugs done, and he said he didn't notice oil anywhere.

After spraying, look for areas where water may pool up. My coil on plugs faces down, so a pool of water formed where the boot seals the well, but I just soaked it up with some rags and she was sweet.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post